Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

All things bras & prosthesis

Options

Comments

• mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160
    edited November 2015
    Options

Yeah, at 350.00 per silicone Amoena foob, someone is making money.

• MsVeryDenseBreasts
    MsVeryDenseBreasts Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2015
    Options

That is hilarious SoCalLisa! A friend of mine had a form float up over the top of her blouse during a business presentation! Luckily she has a great sense of humor.

• brend
    brend Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2015
    Options

I found one bra I liked better than the rest. But no matter which prosthesis I wear, they all slide up! UGGHH.. I tried taking up the prosthesis pocket part on that one side. Thank goodness my mother taught me how to sew. We'll see how that works. I have a knitted knocker (free), a Micro-bead one from tlc direct, a foam one, and a silicone one. They all slide upward!!!

Seems the mastectomy bras, you could wear them if you never had surgery with the way they make the pocket. Its just too much "room" in the pocket. I need my pocket to be flat on the side I am flat on.

Beginning to hate bras as bad as I did in the 70's.

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626
    edited November 2015
    Options

I wore silicones in the Amoena Frances bra yesterday. Got 1/2 way through the day then had to tug it all down. On the other hand when I had boobs they were so stretched out from nursing babies in years past that's bras often rode up over the boobs and they would ooze out the bottom! Flat is definitely a lot easier.

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited November 2015
    Options

brend I really relate to the hating bras thing. I gave up on bras when nursing my firstborn (now 19 year old) I find it really difficult to wear a bra for any extended length of time (like a whole day) A few hours in I'm near screaming to get it off. No matter how nice the bra or prosthesis I only do short stints.

• brend
    brend Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2015
    Options

If I'd had BOTH removed, I'd go flat in a frigging heart beat!!!. These bras have an extreme amount of elastic, and they still ride up on the side where I had the mastectomy. Then I look like one boob is 5" higher than the other one. Nothing is holding these bras down on my mastectomy side. I think I could sew a dang fishing weight on that one side, and it'd still ride up!

• BarredOwl
    BarredOwl Member Posts: 261
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi Brend:

That extra fabric is a problem for me, because it permits silicone forms to slide down behind the band (which I wear on the loose side). Luckily, you can sew! This website provides detailed instructions of how to convert a regular bra, and you can make the back of the one pocket flat like you want:

http://mastectomysolutions.com/convert-a-bra.php

She also has an interesting idea for stopping ride-up (sort of reverse suspenders):

http://mastectomysolutions.com/bra-band-ouch-fix.p...

Not sure about that one, but I guess it depends how crazy it is making you! If you are crafty, you may come up with a similar concept out of different materials.

BarredOwl

• Itzy
    Itzy Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2015
    Options

I've had my new lightweight silicone forms for a few weeks now, and I have been truly amazed at how much I like them. They provide the most comfort I have had since the BMX. I was kind of resistant to the idea of them, but I could not be more delighted now that I have them. When I remove my camisole (Valetta) or bra (Amoena Mona), I pretty much immediately notice the difference in feel. So when not wearing the forms, I still sleep in the EAB breast binder, and sometimes place fiberfill forms in it when wearing sweat shirt or other lose items.

I have one question of you ladies. The instructions with the forms says that they should be washed daily with gentle soap. My nightly routine already takes too much time, and I have resisted this advice. They certainly do not show any signs of needing that sort of care. So I'm interested if any of you have thoughts and/or experience about whether this really is important to do? Thanks so much.

• Chloesmom
    edited November 2015
    Options

My Valletta has solid fabric pockets so unless I'm hot I don't wash them every single time. I do however with a bra with more sheer fabric that allows the forms to be close to my skin

• sgabbert
    sgabbert Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2015
    Options

My MIL is a 5 year bc survivor and told me that she doesn't even take her forms out of the bra unless she is laundering it. She just takes it off and puts it in the bathroom cabinet, forms and all. Never had anything go bad on her yet.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited December 2015
    Options

that is what I do. Hang the bra from the arm of a chair with the prostheses inside

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited December 2015
    Options

I tried hanging the bra from a hanger last week when traveling. The foob holder is too large for my suitcase.

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited December 2015
    Options

Itzy, what forms did you get? The lightweight ones?

No, I do not wash my forms every day, they never even touch my skin so I am not sure what that is all about.

• Itzy
    edited December 2015
    Options

Thank you all for your responses. My forms are from ABC (American Breast Care). They are lightweight. Both the fitter and the care instructions suggested daily washing. But they don't touch my skin, plus it's been cold and I am definitely not sweating, so I would never have even thought about it. But the fitter actually made a rather big deal of it.

So I really hoped to learn something from others, if there is something I'm missing, that doesn't seem needed to me. Maybe I'll wash them over the weekend.

• mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160
    edited December 2015
    Options

I have an Amoena silicone natura light and I hardly ever wash it. I leave it in the bra and toss it on my chair at night. I wear mine nearly everyday but if I was to store it for a period of time, I would put it in its holder/box.

• wren44
    edited December 2015
    Options

I have the Amoena silicone natura light also and wash it more during the summer. In the winter, I'm not sweating (shivering instead) and hardly ever wash it.

• Chloesmom
    edited December 2015
    Options

I I was my forms when I wash the bra. If I'm not sweaty I wear both several days.

Have a couple of bras with mesh pockets. These allow the forms to touch the skin so I wash both more often than the solid ones.

• mombuns
    mombuns Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2015
    Options

I have been wearing ABC Massage Form breast prosthesis in regular bra without pockets. Therefore, the form touches the skin. Now I have developed a rash and am concerned. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have an opinion?

• wren44
    edited December 2015
    Options

You might need to add pockets to your regular bras. It's not difficult. Have you changed anything recently? Soap or lotion?

• feelingfeline
    edited December 2015
    Options

Mombuns,

remove the suspected causes (the forms).

Have you something sponge or fabric you can use in place of them for a few days, or have you a bra that does have pockets?

Or could you just go without over the weekend?

Hopefully you will soon see an improvement.

There could be a thousand innocent causes but If rash persists it is important to get it checked by your oncologist or breast surgeon. They can rule bad stuff out.

XXX

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited December 2015
    Options

I got a rash along my MX scar, never figured out what caused it. But it did go away eventually. They did do biopsies to make sure it wasn't something bad, it was just a rash, I think they had me use a steroid cream on it, once they ruled out everything else.

• feelingfeline
    edited December 2015
    Options

It is important to get the bad stuff ruled out.

• logang
    logang Member Posts: 144
    edited February 2016
    Options

I had a right mastectomy a few weeks ago. I am planning to get a prophylactic left mastectomy some time later this year and plan to begin recon at that time. I need suggestions for an affordable prosthesis. My skin is still a little sensitive, so soft would be a plus. I will be going back to work as a home health nurse in 2 weeks. I hope to only need it for a few months. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Chloesmom
    edited February 2016
    Options

Contact knitted knockers. Can't beat free!

• logang
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thank you!

• daisylover
    daisylover Member Posts: 173
    edited February 2016
    Options

Below is a light-weight foam prosthetic -- very comfortable. I think that it is recommended to wait 6 weeks before being fitted? (at least by my surgeon) However, this foam prosthesis probably will not irritate... $40 I needed 2 (BMX), so no need to match an existing breast for me. I wear these for exercise or sleep... I usually wear silicone (pricier) for dressing up, but these would certainly be fine... It seems personal. I also have the Knitted Knockers -- good to own and free! Not soft... Best of luck!

Trulife Tri-Leisure Lightly Weighted Breast Form 611

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/trulife611.html#...

• logang
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thank you daisylover!

• daisylover
    daisylover Member Posts: 173
    edited February 2016
    Options

Logang,

You are welcome. Feel free to PM me if you need a more specific answer! Request your knitted knockers here:

http://www.knittedknockers.org/

Maybe some are softer? They look softer on the website than mine??

• logang
    edited February 2016
    Options

I actually have a coworker that knits like a mad woman. When you posted about them I remembered her offering to make me some before surgery. She is going to start asap!

• Itzy
    edited February 2016
    Options

I used Coobie bras (they have removable molded cups and a pocket opening). Before I got my silicone forms, I used the fiberfill forms sold by TLC (below). In my case, I needed to remove some fiberfill (even though I've had bilateral mastectomies) to get the look that made me comfortable. I have no experience with the foam. Coobies come in 2 sizes, 32-36 and 38-42.

You may find the Coobies useful as you proceed on too. My best wishes to you.

http://www.shopcoobie.com/?gclid=CKT6wMH9_soCFQkta...

http://www.tlcdirect.org/Mastectomy-Non-Silicone-L...