Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

All things bras & prosthesis

Options

Comments

• nightowlhoot
    nightowlhoot Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2016
    Options

imageThis is what the inside looks like. There isn't a pocket. It's like a shelf bra but with very slightly padded cups and the elastic underneath. There is space between the outer fabric and the bra but then the foob would go on top of the padding...I shoved in my foob and it was tigjt enough where it didn't fall when I leaned over and bent down.

• nightowlhoot
    edited April 2016
    Options

here's another image

• nightowlhoot
    edited April 2016
    Options

here's me wearing the tank without the foob. image

• nightowlhoot
    edited April 2016
    Options

here's a pic of me leaning down with the foob and you can see the edge of it. It's the soft one that came with the mastectomy camisole which looks more like underwear/ an undergarment to me so that is why I am on the hunt for tanks like this one...they are 19.90 bs 24.90 this week so I didn't pass up the sale. I got the airism or moisture wicking fabric for warm summers. Hope the pics help wren44. image

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited April 2016
    Options

Nightowl, Thanks. That does give me an idea. I think my real one possibly wouldn't get enough support.

• BRACA1
    BRACA1 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2016
    Options

Ha ha bra experimental farm. I like that one.. I have tons of mastectomy bras that I try but for one reason or other they are not comfortable..

Wish everyone would post their most mastectomy bra

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited June 2016
    Options

Nightowlhoot I have had that leaning problem too. I have found some bras that are more like a close fitting crop top than a sports bra. eg think sports bra but without the racer back. They are not mx bras but actually have a pocket! This is because they have a washable molded cup on each side (which seems to be very in fashion at present). I nicknamed them the "breast shields". The pocket is there on each side to take these "breast shields" out. You can wear with or without shields, personally I don't bother. I also don't bother putting the foob in the pocket a lot of the time,. They do best for the leaning problem.

They look like this front AND back. (except mine are all white).

I look like this too (not)

• wren44
    edited June 2016
    Options

My favorite bra is the Genie. I put my foob in the pocket for the shields. The original is more comfortable for me because it looks a lot like Feline's. They have a sexier version which I don't particularly like.

• Flounder
    Flounder Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2016
    Options

Braca, my favorite mastectomy bra is the Amoena Marlena. I pretty much wear it every day, all day.

• feelingfeline
    edited June 2016
    Options

Just looked up your bra flounder, seems very similar, like the look of it ThumbsUp At my next freebie session i must see if the supplier has any of those. (Mx patients get 2 free bras a year here).

• BRACA1
    BRACA1 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2016
    Options

Thanks Flounder for posting your favorite comfortable bra. Marlena... I will look it up.

• wren44
    edited June 2016
    Options

The Marlena is my favorite "real" bra. I could do with more support, but it's comfortable and I don't count the minutes until I can take it off.

• feelingfeline
    edited June 2016
    Options

Wren that there is a perfect expression of how I generally feel. So many bras I have that I will never wear due to that "count the minutes" factor.

• kayarose
    kayarose Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi All, Just wondering if anyone has tried one of the "customized" bras from TLC Direct. It's a bra with a built in prosthesis. I have a uni and am thinking it might be nice to be able to just put on a bra without having to insert a form. Thanks.

http://www.tlcdirect.org/Lace-Accent-Especially-for-You-Bra.html?did=41

• wren44
    edited June 2016
    Options

I made some foobs using those tiny plastic beads. They're sort of hard. I prefer my weighted foam and silicone. Now I use the beads for swimming. They float so a pocket is absolutely necessary. I bought a nice swim top from Lands End.

• metta
    metta Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2016
    Options

I like the Marlena, too, but I like this one better and wear it all the time. It's great because the pockets are cotton, which minimizes sweating. It looks totally normal/pretty. Nice to feel normal and pretty once in a while

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005TR5H4S/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• nwest125
    nwest125 Member Posts: 69
    edited July 2016
    Options

I have a size 14 Reg. Mastectomy black blouson tankini top. I bought it last summer from landsend, I only have worn it maybe half a dozen times, I am only 4'10' tall and it looks fine until it gets wet and then it becomes very long. I bought a two new ones this summer in a size 12 much better fit for me. If anyone is interested in it please PM me and I will send it to you free Just looking for someone that might need a size 14 they just need to be taller than me. You can look it up at landend It is a really cute swimtop..

Nancy West

• rainyb
    rainyb Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2016
    Options

I'm a newbie. Not sure how to post a new topic. I've had a double mastectomy with no reconstruction. I am using weighted foam prosthetis which are not near as heavy as silicone ones. I have 3 mastectomy bras with pockets & 2 mastectomy camisoles. The problem I have with all of them is that my foobs pop out at the top & are visible even when I just lean over slightly. I have added a wide strip of stretch lace at the top & that helps. Does any one else have the same problem & how did you fix it? Is it possible to adjust the pockets?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,048
    edited August 2016
    Options

Dear rainyb, Welcome to the community. We are glad that you reached out to our members. We hope that you receive support and information, tips, experiences from our members. Let us know via PM if we can be of assistance in helping you to navigate the boards. The Mods

• wren44
    edited August 2016
    Options

Welcome rainyb. I think you could decrease the pocket a bit at the top to keep them more down. I'm a uni and use the weighted foam, especially in the summer. I had trouble keeping them even until I put 2 quarters in the removable covering. I haven't sewn them in, but they stay in pretty well on their own. I put a tuck in the bottom of a genie bra to keep the silicone from sliding too far down. I think we all found some of our clothes had necklines that didn't work anymore, so you might try your shirts on in front of a mirror.

• rainyb
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thanks Wren. I just don't know "how" to adjust the pockets, ie where to take the tuck or seam?

• rainyb
    edited August 2016
    Options

I did mark that subject forum as a "favorite" but did not get to notification of a reply ;o(

• BarredOwl
    BarredOwl Member Posts: 261
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi rainyb:

To turn on email notification for a topic:

(1) In the menu at upper left of this screen, click on My Favorite Topics (third one down).

(2) You will now see a list of your Favorite Topics. To the right of each topic is a live option in blue text to "Add email notification". Click on it to turn on email notification for that topic.

BarredOwl

• rainyb
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thanks Owl. I thought I had done that already incl email notifications under "settings" but I guess that didn't work. Did it again just to make sure.

• superius
    superius Member Posts: 310
    edited August 2016
    Options

after whole year, I still haven't call to get referral for the prosthesis. I know it's covered but I have been using the sport bras with removable pads (doubling it up on mastectomy side. And that's more than enough. I'm still at the "should I / should I not" thinking.

• wren44
    edited August 2016
    Options

Superius, If what you're doing works, why change?

Rainyb, Are the pockets open at the top? Or is the whole bra riding up? I'll bet you could take the bra and perhaps a photo of what's happening to a fabric store and they would have an idea of what to do. I'm a uni and had to add weight to the foob side to get them to be more even. Two quarters did the job.

• gavinsgrandma
    gavinsgrandma Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi everyone I haven't posted here in a long time and I hope all is well with everyone, I am looking for the name of the lady that makes "Bead Forms" I bought a pair 3 years ago and I would like to order more but I cannot remember her name, TY in advance.

Shary🌻

• BarredOwl
    BarredOwl Member Posts: 261
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi gavinsgrandma:

I think you may be thinking of Mary at http://mastectomysolutions.com

This is the information page for ordering microbead forms, and there are more options available now:

http://mastectomysolutions.com/items-for-sale.php

BarredOwl

• Boozecruz
    Boozecruz Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2016
    Options

I'm a newbie too. How do you start a new post?

• superius
    superius Member Posts: 310
    edited August 2016
    Options

couple months ago I saw a group of ladies knitting at the park & have their craft displayed, including some breast forms. wouldn't the yard be too rough? I think I read it somewhere here on the board.