Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

CONSTIPATION--problem with so many of our drugs

Options

Comments

• DAnne01
    DAnne01 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Pears also worked for me, in addition to cooling my tongue and and one of a very few foods that relieved the metal mouth taste.

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    Options

half a cap of miralax a day and 3 prunes :)

• PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368
    Options

I found an herbal supplement that helped after surgery (but was not allowed during treatment (chemo). It's called Dr. Schulzes Intestinal Formula Number 1. You can get it on Amazon. Works more gently than most laxatives but you have to experiment with how many pills are right for you personally.

Hope this helps someone here.

Hugs,

Peggy

• aaoaao
    aaoaao Member Posts: 245
    Options

I live on Miralax and Ducolax. The maximum dosage of both each day. I made a mistake of skipping the Miralax for a couple of days and didn't go for three days...I will never do that again.

• phgraham
    phgraham Member Posts: 909
    Options

bump

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

bump

• ziggypop
    ziggypop Member Posts: 276
    Options

Well, shit. I have nothing to add, other than to say this is a pretty shitty conversation yall are having. : )

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    Options

Doctor gave me a recipe

Fruit Paste Recipe
    DOSE: 1-2 tablespoons per day

1 pound prunes
    1 pound raisins-pitted
    1 pound figs
    4 oz senna tea
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup lemon juice

Prepare tea using about 2 1/2 cups boiled water. Steep 5 minutes.
    Strain tea to remove tea leaves and add only 1 pint tea to a large pot, then add fruit. Boil fruit and tea for 5 minutes.
    Remove from heat and add sugar & lemon juice. Allow to cool.
    Use mixer or food processor to blend fruit mixture into smooth paste.
    Place in plastic container and place in freezer.
    Remove what you need each day, paste doesn't freeze solid.

Spread it on toast, eat off a spoon or add hot water and make a drink.

Senna BARS

In a food processer mix the following ingredients:
    12 oz. raisins
    12 oz. dates
    12 oz. prunes
    8 oz. figs
    2 oz. senna leaves or ground senna (in health food stores).

Spread in a greased 8"x12" pan and press to 1" deep. Top with graham cracker crumbs. Cut into 1 inch by 1 inch bars and they can be frozen.
    Try 1 bar a day to start. May be able to reduce to 1/2 bar later on.

Use both of the recipes only on approval of a physician.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Foley, some recipe, sounds good.

Ziggypop, OMG you get this thread. Please, please, become a routine bumper, and add what ever pops out of your trunk as a thought. It so eases the pain of whatever isn't passing. A poop or pun here or there is a mercy we pray forLoopy

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bumping for a better go :) sassy

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,154
    Options

Ok sassy - on that note I'll go take a Colace and drink some prune juice.

• LisaSp
    LisaSp Member Posts: 3
    Options

So two months and two weeks out of chemo. Also through with rads. Why am I still singing the constipation blues?

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Lisa--chemo/ rads alters the normal bacteria flora of the colon. Miralax and other drugs help with the constipation problem, but don't correct it. Please, study Probiotics.

In my worst case scenario, I found when I used them to re-establish normal flora I had to use the powder by the tablespoon, but this was with an oral thrush and colon problem. My situation was unresponsive to magic mouthwash and twice a day diflucan 100mg for two weeks. Doc finally said Probiotics.

I've been a believer in probiotics since the 70's. The name probiotics wasn't coined until 1995. Before that we just called them good bacteria.

Please, discuss this with your docs /pharmacist, and nutritionist. Chemo alters our immune response. Probiotics are good bacteria necessary for normal colon , mouth bacteria, Gastrointestinal function. BUT, nonetheless, they are bacteria.  If you can please, read from the beginning. Many members have offered pearls of ideas.           Good Luck sassy

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Minus two--------cute, other people talk Champagne, a good Vodka, A smooth scotch, or fragrant wine. We talk Colace, prunes, miralax, magnesium citrate, appricots , and oatmeal. Then we celebrate the passing Sheesh.

• ziggypop
    ziggypop Member Posts: 276
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cNRkQJcnUk

A Christmas song for all my crappy friends. Sing it with me now..

there were, five, five, constipated men in the bible...

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Ziggy I'm sensing that this is an outlet for you LOL. I'll stand aside. Those elephant poops could be a drowner.

BTW "Hey Nunnie Nunnie"  will be added to my late night viewing along with Jeff Dunham.

• minustwo
    Options

Ziggy - great laugh for the day.  Thanks.

Sassy - so it looks like we'll be planning a similar menu for toasting on new years eve.  But truly - I used to drink Gin & tonic before chemo.  The gin really did keep me regular.  Juniper berries?  I'd forgotten that & maybe need to add that back into my diet - of course in moderation.

• phgraham
    phgraham Member Posts: 909
    Options

ziglet -  too funny!  I'll be singing that song on the way to the toiletten -  "And Eve passed an apple"  At least it wasn't a bowling ball!

Phyllo

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    Options

Sassy I had a college professor (biology) who insisted I take lactobacillus caps from the pharmacy (1973). I think he thought and probably rightly the cause was stress related and the lacto. would help. Refrigerated then and I think just called that. Told me it would help my cold sores. Lol. Don't know that it did but funny how things of old become mainstream now.

I've been trying to remember my 5 prunes a day for constipation and bone health. I believe I have a box now that lists for bone health on the panel.

I think I may be singing about constipated Biblical men while doing housecleaning shortly. DH came up to see what I was laughing about.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Prunes, yes, must remember prunes. 

Lmg HI nice to see you. No own gave it a name---then a n article was published in1995, Cool. Pro-promotes, anti-against. works well together.

LISA Lactobacillus colonizes the small intestine. Bifidus and the rest colonizes the large intestine. A combo should be considered  to cover all. I only buy refrigerated stock. But the market is producing non-refrigerated product.

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418
    Options

Ziggypop, great video, I will go back & watch some more of there's when time allows...

Any Catholics here ? Has anyone seen  " Late night  Cathetisim " it is a fantastic play, spoof on Catholics, in a respectful way, done by nuns ( actresses ) it plays in Seattle. I am not a Catholic, but DH is.....

Back to the topic, I did start back on my probiotics...should buy some prunes....not my fav...I do eat raw carrots daily, do they count?

Also, can someone tell me what Magic Mouthwash is? 

Golf girl

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Golf girl Combo drug tree items used for thrush. It a swish(hold) and swallow thingy liquid.

EEWWWWWWHHHHHHHH carrots---DD had us drink carrot  & celery juice every morning. Sometimes there were surprises like beets, apple, the worst onion.

• minustwo
    Options

HoleinOne - The magic mouthwash I was prescribed is a specially compounded Rx of liquids - lidocane, nystatin & benedryl.  I've heard of different combos on other threads.  Luckily I didn't have to use it much since I really didn't like my lips going numb from the lidocane.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bumping

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    Options

Got off my pain med and now I'm the other way.. darn darn darn.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Foley, It'll take awhile for your digestive track to figure things out. Probiotics can help, check with doc before using :) sassy

• sas-schatzi
    Options

BUMP

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    Options

bump