Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Kicking LEs butt!! Exercise & Self Care Log

Options

Comments

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited January 2019
    Options

Varga. If I overdo gardening which I try not to do but hey life gets in the way then I will wrap. Or if my arms feels off base I'll wrap. Or if your swollen more than usually. Or if you first start therapy they wrap for three weeks daily to get arm size down then garment fit you. Wrapping is essential.

I wish someone would teach me kinesio tape. It works so good on my back.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,103
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hugz - oh I'm so jealous. I walked around the entire ship's track several times - and more than once a day. Great outdoor exercise.

Varga - I haven't ever wrapped, but my LE is mostly breast & truncal. My LEPT did the kinesio taping on me a couple of times. I agree - that was great. But no way could I stretch it out over my back like she did.

Silver Sneakers is great. Every teacher has their own specialties, but it always includes aerobics (standing by a chair), stretching, balance exercises, weights, stretch cords and a ball. It's on my calendar just like a doctor appointment and I give it the same importance, if not more. All of us wish it were more than 2 days a week. Most standard medicare policies pay at least half (except for Blue Cross apparently), and most of the HMOs or PPOs that I've seen often pay in full. I pay $200 a year to belong to the gym. Even if I do absolutely nothing else there, these classes work out to be less than $2.00 each. You don't have to be 'old' either. Lots of our class members are under 50. Some come on their lunch hours from work. Classes are also available at many YMCAs and other centers nationally. (rah,rah - no I don't have any stock in the company - too bad)

• hugz4u
    edited January 2019
    Options

Ok back from cruise towing few extra pounds despite going to ship gym :/ going to get it off quick before it settles in for spring.

Silver sneakers sounds delightful and a bargain to.

Gym day done today

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hugz - hope you had a wonderful cruise! The weather has been either snowing, in the teens or raining here! I got the body sculpt dvds and I really like them. They were a litthe pricy but I need exercise that's accessible to me with my girl. So...living room work out it is! I've also been bouncing on my rebounder.

Stay warm and keep moving!

• twinkly
    twinkly Member Posts: 104
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi everyone,

Years ago after a bilateral mastectomy, I had a special LE trained massage therapist work to open up new channels for lymph to flow out of congested areas (for me, things stop flowing in my neck and under my left arm and in the centre of my chest). The massage worked. But now, 12 years after surgery. I can feel problems starting to develop.

So I've started jumping on my Rebound Air (small personal trampoline) which is helping a lot. After about 20 minutes gentle bouncing (to music) I have started to feel lymph release in various parts of my body.

This is the reason I bought the trampoline 10 years ago, but haven't really used it until now.

I was wondering if anyone else is able to help their LE this way?

• minustwo
    edited February 2019
    Options

Twinkly - I bought a re-bounder 8 years ago but never used it. Finally gave to a neighbor who'd grown daughter was interested. Glad it's working for you.

• vargadoll
    edited February 2019
    Options

I just got one a few weeks ago and have used it randomly. I'll let you know how it goes!

• vargadoll
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hello ladies! I have been trying to stay with a regular exercise routine. It has definitely been hit or miss around here! The weather has been crappie lots of rain and wind. Oldest grandson has had many band auditions and concerts that have kept me hopping! My girl was sick name few days and I have been on OT 2 times a weeks for a few weeks now but...anyway I have this Denise Austin DVD that is the bomb for my LE. It's Blast Away The Pounds. Its basically a walking workout with lots of stretches. It's a total of 3 miles if you do all the work outs and it take about 45 minutes. Keep moving my LE ladies!

• lisaleigh
    lisaleigh Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi,

I am new here and have a question to all with LE.

I recently have notice a change in color for my nipple from pink to yellow, the area has gotten larger with time. I have some swelling in arm and hand but I also have been diagnosed with carpol tunnel before the cancer scare. I scheduled Doc apt to make sure it wasn't anything to be concerned with. She told me that is from LE. I needed to massage the area, sending every thing in the direction the lymph nodes.

I have had a lumpectomy for pre-cancer and then 4.5 years later a full on cancer lumpectomy in the same area, with radiation to follow. So I am concerned it's come back. Had a mamogram that came back clear after Dr apt.

Does this sound right to all of you? Just wondering if I need to get a 2nd opinion. I haven't heard discoloration mention on these boards being associated with LE.

Lisa

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,020
    edited February 2019
    Options

Dear lisaleigh,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are sorry that these issues along with your breast cancer diagnosis have brought you here but so glad that you reached out to our members. We hope that you will hear from others about their shared experiences with LE. In the meantime check out this link to information on our main site about Lymphedema. Perhaps it can offer you more insight. Let us know if we can help you navigate the site. Please stay active here and keep us posted on what you learn going forward.

• minustwo
    edited February 2019
    Options

LisaLeigh - I have never heard of a nipple changing color related to LE but I'm by no means an expert. You don't detail when you had your surgeries or treatments, but personally I would be concerned about infection & get a second opinion. Also it may make a difference where you're located. When you get a chance, go to "my profile" and fill in your specs.

I do think you need to find a trained LE therapist as soon as possible. They will be able to do a thorough assessment. Take a look at this web site for recommendations & ideas. https://www.stepup-speakout.org/

• flowergal
    flowergal Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hello Lisa and welcome. These ladies have been very helpful and supportive to me . I had radiation and developed breast lymphedema but no nipple color changes except it is darker from rads. which I expected . If you have lymphedema, I think it needs to be evaluated by a certified LE therapist .You can be taught do do self exercises to form new lymph pathways and the therapist should be doing extensive massage to keep the LE from progressing. I had twice weekly sessions all last summer and now do my manual drainage exercises 2x day as well as arm exercises and daily 2 mile walk as well as wearing a compression bra 24/7. I also used kinesio tape for several weeks this summer which really reduced the swelling. I hope you will follow up with someone . I also have found step up speak out website very very helpful.

Twinkly -Hi and welcome. Maybe you need to revisit your LE therapist to be reevaluated.

Hello to everyone else and hope your weather is better than mine- Rain , rain and more rain!

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    edited February 2019
    Options

flowergal, which manual drainage exercises are you doing

• flowergal
    edited February 2019
    Options

I don't know if they have a name. My therapist gave me a handout to follow and then gave me a few extras to incorporate . Takes about 10- 15 minutes twice a day. I start with massage of the nodes in neck and clear all the pathways -neck, then diaphramatic breathing x 10 ,axilla, chest, back, inguinal, side, breast and chest again. There is a you tube video that features a woman from India demonstrating and that is the closest I could find to what I was taught.

• lisaleigh
    edited February 2019
    Options

Thank you all for your input - my dr didnt even offer me LE therapist and I am currently in between insurances so I am hanging in there hoping for the best. Once I get my insurance in lace you bet I will be getting it check again. The last appointment left me feeling uneasy, like she barely even looked at me. Shrug again thanks for your answers.

• lisaleigh
    edited February 2019
    Options

Can you post the link? I am new and not sure policies here but that would be helpful.

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    edited February 2019
    Options

Ok, I am doing this massage as well. I thought you have some exercises in addition to that.

• minustwo
    edited February 2019
    Options

lisaleigh - Take a look at the link I posted above on the 18th for StepUpSpeakOut. It should give you all the info you need. You can google LE massage, but there are as many techniques as doctors and it really should be diagnosed & massage taught by a certified therapist.

• hugz4u
    edited March 2019
    Options

hi all. Spring coming. Let's spring forward with our exercises. Been abit lazy but still at it!

Come on exercise!

it's good for our. lymphedema

• hugz4u
    edited March 2019
    Options

Ok all I’m into the swing of it. Still lifting my weights and cardio killing the tready

can’t wait for sunny outdoor weather, today a bit decent to do gardening even though soil frozen in some parts. Clipped down the black eyed Susan dead daisy stems. Looks like the birds have moved onto a different kind of seed head.

Minus. Are you sneakering still?

Vargadoll. Kids keeping you hopping and walking!

• vargadoll
    edited March 2019
    Options

I am doing so good with my exercise!! I always get 15,000+ a day and I have been able to do some DVD work outs at least 4 days a week! I'm trying to get to 6 days a week!! The weather has not been a joy here! It's either raining or cold with ridiculous win chills! This is the first winter that the cold has kept me inside! Fingers crossed that spring is really in the way!

Keep moving my LE ladies!

• minustwo
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hugz - thanks for asking but I've been 'absent'. I picked up a bad cold from all the little kids & the hugging when we went to scatter my sister in law's ashes. It's the first cold I've had in 12 years - and boy it's a doozy. Haven't even been to chair Yoga since I couldn't breathe w/o coughing. I plan to start back to Silver Sneakers this week - Tues & Thurs. Hopefully I'm not too far out of shape after 3 weeks. Chair yoga was cancelled for spring break today & next Monday, but I'll get back in the harness.

Varga - you continue to amaze me.

• vargadoll
    edited March 2019
    Options

MinusTwo - I've never been able to sit still! The grandkids and my girl help keep me moving. I'm sorry you have a terrible cold. With the crazy weather it's a wonder we all aren't sick! I hope you are better soon!

• minustwo
    edited March 2019
    Options

Thanks Varga - We'll see how Silver Sneakers goes in the morning.

• murfy
    murfy Member Posts: 254
    edited March 2019
    Options

Reported to my first professional LE massage today by PT. He noted that my shoulders/neck tight with subluxation and worked that out first. Then massage for truncal LE. Felt like a million after massage(s). A long-line compression bra for torso had been recommended and purchased via Amazon but, to be honest, I think my $12 sport bra from Walmart is more effective.

Insurance will pay for 11 more LE massages. Now trying to figure out how often to go?

• vargadoll
    edited March 2019
    Options

I like to go 4 times a month but my insurance allows 38 visits I think. I end up paying for some of my visits. Its worth it!

I had a few issues with my flexitouch pump. The velcro in the bottom just would not hold anymore and the arm piece would not deflate when it was done. I called Tactile Thursday night and received both my replacement pieces today...no charge! I remember someone else having a problem with the velcro on the leg part but not sure who!

• minustwo
    edited March 2019
    Options

Murfy - the problem with many regular bras for truncal LE is that they don't come up far enough under your arm pits or high enough on your back. My therapist said no-no to Wal Mart sports bras.

I have an expensive Belisse compression bra that I use for travel for flares. If you can, I would get fitted locally even if you plan to buy one on line. For every day I use the WearEase Sydney Bra #780, which my LE therapist loves. I wear it 24/7 - even in the swimming pool for water aerobics. I did not find the long line compression bras comfortable - especially with our hot Texas weather - so again, it's good to try before you buy - although Wear Ease has a wonderful return policy.

https://www.wearease.com/collections/all?page=2

There are also some compression T's that work. Again, I found them too warm for Houston.

• flowergal
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hello Murfy

I don't post much on this thread but read all the comments. Like Minus2 , I have a Bellisse bra which I have worn most of the time since last summer and it seems to be the most effective for my breast LE and I find it comfortable . But I am looking for something cooler to wear this summer and plan to order the sydney bra from a local shop that carries the wearease brand as medicare will cover some of the cost. Good luck to you.

To all of you- Happy Spring! You keep me motivated to exercise daily !

• murfy
    murfy Member Posts: 254
    edited March 2019
    Options

Thank you for your recommendations, ladies. I like the looks of the Wearease Sydney and am going to order one.

• minustwo
    edited March 2019
    Options

Murfy - they are really good about returns if the size doesn't work.