Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Kicking LEs butt!! Exercise & Self Care Log

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,103
    edited September 2019
    Options

FlowerGal - I've found the same thing. I only use my Bellise for flying or flares. But I do wear a Wear Ease Sydney compression bra 24/7. My LE therapist loved the high back & sleeves. I love the fact that it's easy & looks attractive. The company is woman-owned and they are absolutely fantastic with customer service. They have regular sales on the internet.

https://www.wearease.com/products/sydney-bra?varia...

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    edited September 2019
    Options

I use my Bellise for working out and heavy house/yard work. I have a love hate relationship with the damn thing! Love the way it makes me feel hate then way it looks!

The Sydney in the other hand is fabulous! Looking and feeling!

• piperkay
    piperkay Member Posts: 132
    edited September 2019
    Options

Here's another bra for those who need some support but not necessarily compression. I just found it while looking for wireless bras. When I showed it to my LE therapist, she thought it was great and recommended it to another client right away. https://trueandco.com/bras/wireless/true-body-v-neck-bra/mink

It's so comfortable, I have three of them now. As you'll see, it comes in many colors and sizes. Very attactive, too, I think.

• flowergal
    flowergal Member Posts: 73
    edited September 2019
    Options

Thanks for the info PIperKay,

I checked out the link but looks like the bra has to go on over the head. I have a little trouble with this because of an old rotator cuff tear so have to be careful . I tried on the sydney bra at a local shop and it was way too small ( supposedly the correct size) and hard to get on since it doesn't have any hooks or eyes or zipper. I did buy the wearease compression bra which is fairly comfortable and provides some compression and I use it at night. I have some sports bras that I wear on my daily walk but they just aren't quite enough support to wear all day. I do have several bras by Jodee which are very close in style to a normal bra and I wear those a lot.

I do appreciate any info about alternatives .

Hope you all are having a good summer. It's 95 here in Memphis so I am not working in the garden today!

• piperkay
    edited September 2019
    Options

Yes, the over the head feature can be a little challenging. Once it's on, though, it's wonderful. But no one thing works for everyone. I'm glad you found some that are comfortable for you. I'll check some of those out too.

Here in Atlanta, we're headed for a high of 99. That's much hotter than it's been all summer. Thank goodness for the AC!

• vargadoll
    edited September 2019
    Options

PiperKay- all my pull over bras...I step in and pull up! So much easier and it gives the girls a little lift!

• piperkay
    edited September 2019
    Options

Vargadoll, that sounds great but I don't think they'd stretch enough to get them up over my tush!!

• vargadoll
    edited September 2019
    Options

PiperKay- I have a big ol' booty!! The song Baby Got Back was about me....lol!Happy

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi girls. I’m still chugging away although my left hip has flared up for no reason these few past weeks. Thinking it might be worn out with osteo arthritis like all my other joints. This might be a major hiccup but I’ll try adapting cardio on bike and elliptical buttttttt... I’m a walker and it’s my first choice if cardio.

I want you to all put on sneakers and sneak around getting some exercise

• minustwo
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hugz - thanks for posting but sorry to hear about the flare in your hip.

I've get a 'twinge' in one knee but I'm trying to ignore it. I haven't been good about making it to Silver Sneakers since my trip to California September 1st.

I took my 39 year old niece with me and we walked, and walked, and walked... and then some more. Up and down hills in San Francisco, Fisherman's Wharf, both the outside & inside labyrinths at Grace Cathedral, Alcatraz and across the Golden Gate Bridge. Then most of a day walking around the Monterey Aquarium then a day with more hills in Carmel. 6 hours at Hearst Castle with WAY more stairs than I could ever imagine. Wharves & Piers in Santa Barbara. More than I've walked in a long time. Now trying to get back to normal every day walking, but my neighborhood & the treadmill look pretty boring.

• HollyDollyD
    HollyDollyD Member Posts: 26
    edited October 2019
    Options

Shocked@48....

I'm so sorry you went through this. It drives me insane when drs. don't listen, or nurses, or the medical system in general. When I first got lymphedema 2 weeks ago, I asked for a prescription for a sleeve. They referred me to a center. Because I'm an admin on another survivor group, I knew this place to be terrible. Turns out they had to pay $4.3MM in the Houston offices alone for medicare, medicaid and unlicensed professional fraud. A lawyer friend of mine looked up the place and found all the other outstanding lawsuits. I emailed the nurse back with the information and asked for the prescription and orders, please. And they gave them to me. But still, why couldn't they have the first time? My onco is uber-competent, so I know he's going to be chuckling when I see him. And I hope they flag my file in EPIC with red flags everywhere saying, "Give this patient what she wants. Her research skills are excellent and she'll call you on the mat if you mess up." Ha. Bet they won't.

In the meantime, I have upped my water intake to flush the extra fluid (who knew...) and been walking 15 minutes/day. It's a start.

Finally, shame on the doctors for body-shaming you. Especially when we women are overweight we need support and help, not shaming. Ugh.

Hugs,

Holly

• hugz4u
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi all! now let’s not let this thread die. It’s so inspirational.

Vargadoll and minus how the exercise?
    Binney are you still walking inside malls and the house?

I’m still at gym. Though my hips have given me trouble ( osteo physio thinks ) I’m still in for the long haul. Just adapting by switching up my gym routine and equipment. No running more than a minute at a time or high hill climb on treadmill for me or it’s a setback. My skin has taken a turn for the worse so no swimming in chlorine either. Lots of stretching throughout day. Just gotta keep moving.

Doing all the right things but LE beast decided to also take over my other side which has full axillary nodes intact. Yes you can get Le from any kind of Breast surgery, mine double mastectomy. That makes me bilateral arms trunk and breast and it’s going to be a hot cranky summer in all this le gear

LETS CHALLENGE OURSELVES And move starting March 1st for a month. Do what you can and whatever you like even 5 min but just do it!!! no competition.

I’ll report in but can’t be typing up a storm because my dry eye disease gets painful when on devices.

Let’s go everyone!

• minustwo
    edited February 2020
    Options

hugz - great to 'see' you. Is the dry eye getting any better?

I agree - let's keep the thread going. So many people don't understand that exercise is a major part of keeping LE under control.

I go to Silver Sneakers classes twice a week and chair yoga once a week. The chair yoga teacher is concentrating not only on stretching, but on deep breathing, movements to get the lymph flowing and accupressure. These are on my calendar before anything else. If someone wants to go to lunch - sure but after class. I even make doc appointments around my exercise schedule.

In the summer I add water aerobics 3x a week. In the winter I try to walk on the treadmill 3x a week - but this last one is the easiest for me to skip.

Oh boy would I rather sit in my recliner with a good book. But I know how easy it is to get out of the habit - and it truly is a habit. And I know how much better I feel when I'm moving.

• hugz4u
    edited February 2020
    Options

Way to go minus! Sitting is the new smoking they say. Yes we can encourage each other.

Dry eye disease is a whole different bag of cats. Progressive like Le. Losing vision slowly in one eye because of it. I'm on a whole different program for keeping it somewhat at bay.
    Moving forward! Not ready to throw myself on the train tracks yet,still a lot of life left in me although these medical issues are time consuming. I was thinking if I didn't have to cook then I would have some free time left for Maybe a hobby....but then thought.....I Am my hobby! Ok eyes bugging me. Ill check in another day. Keep moving

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hugz! Hello! Good to see you again.

I too have trouble with dry eyes, and my eye doc said many young people are losing their vision from too much screen use because studies have shown we don't blink as much when we're staring at screens, and he suggested that I remember to blink more often online. I know that's not the problem you're having, much less the solution, but it's a good warning for all of us.

Miss you here when you're away! Hugs,
    Binney

• vargadoll
    edited February 2020
    Options

So good to pop on and see so many posts! January and February were almost a total loss for me! I have been sick for weeks! Sinus infection the first of January. Took almost 2 weeks to get well then got a stomach bug and threw up violently for 24 hour. Took a few days to get over that.. then came acute bronchitis and that has taken 3 weeks!! March 1st is going to be my New Uear launch date 😀 I'm so glad you posted Hugz!!! Got to get back to it!

• vargadoll
    edited February 2020
    Options

So good to pop on and see so many posts! January and February were almost a total loss for me! I have been sick for weeks! Sinus infection the first of January. Took almost 2 weeks to get well then got a stomach bug and threw up violently for 24 hour. Took a few days to get over that.. then came acute bronchitis and that has taken 3 weeks!! March 1st is going to be my New Uear launch date 😀 I'm so glad you posted Hugz!!! Got to get back to it!

• minustwo
    edited February 2020
    Options

My word Varga - you've been through the ringer. I'll be thinking of you Saturday night as you have your New Year's celebration.

• minustwo
    edited March 2020
    Options

Posted on the GRRR thread, but wanted to share here too. Please feel free to post on any other LE threads.

Wanted to share this info since one major hospital is saying we are no longer at risk with blood draws. Pooh Pooh.

Here's the latest seminar posted on line from Dr. Stanley Rockson at Stanford. It's an hour & 30 minutes - but I thought really worth it - even the questions at the end.

https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medical-clinics/center-lymphatic-venous-disorders.html/presentation-mode/stanford-health-care-now/health-library-videos/rockson-lymphedema-treatments

And here's a short summary. Long, but shorter than watching the seminar/lecture if you decide it doesn't apply to you.

5/30/18 talk at Stanford - Center for lymphatic & venous disorders
    Diagnosis, treatment & research
    Dr. Stanley Rockson is a guru -Only half doz other docs in the US. You may have seen him on NPR

Still true - 1/2 the docs in North America have between 15-30 minutes of their entire medical training.
    Fascinating new research since the last seminar online in 2012. But scary what as he tells what most docs will say if you go to them with problems.
    Most important to PRESERVE working lymph movement which will PREVENT progression
    ANY injury to the skin - cut, burn, insect bite, rose thorn, small scratch. ANYTHING that traumatizes the skin and needs a wound healing response can bring on LE. Including pressure changes in an airline. And he talks about locations over 5000 ft.

10 million people in the US have LE. 90 million world wide
    With breast cancer - chances 15-20% of developing LE
    90% of the problems develop in the first year but risk never goes away.
    So after 2 years, you probably have 2% for the rest of your life. How much you want to work on preservation & prevention depends on how much a gambler you are???
    If you get past that 1st year, statistics show you may not be prone to be pushed over the edge to progression.
    But if you're in the 1% - do you want to take that chance???

With only 1-4 nodes (like SNB) you have only 1/4 of the risk - but you can get LE with only ONE node out
    You have to determine what you are willing to risk.
    Yes are finite risks with surgery on parts at risk - even if LE is dormant or sub-clinical. Weigh the benefits. Even carpal tunnel surgery

New bio-impedance surveillance - if treat REALLY early, can reverse the problem
    Coming - Biobridge implant at time of breast surgery

AND FINALLY... here's the link to the lymphatic network. Select 'resource downloads' on the right for TONS of facts.

https://lymphaticnetwork.org/

• hugz4u
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi all, I’m active! How bout you. Marchchallenge. Even do a little. We are just trying to move a bit!

• minustwo
    edited March 2020
    Options

Yup - silver sneakers twice a week & chalr yoga another day. I know & need to walk the other days - outside or on the treadmill.

• flowergal
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thank you Minus 2 for the info. I will defintely look at it. . I will be traveling by car ( 8-9 hr drive) this month and my LE therapist said to use the sleeve as a preventive measure as I have breast LE. Do any of you do this?

Hello to all of you.and appreciate the comments and ideas on this thread even though I don't respond too much. I walk 21/2 miles a day and ride a stationary bike in the afternoon 3 miles.

• minustwo
    edited March 2020
    Options

I have truncal & breast LE and am attempting to prevent it from progressing to my arms. I do wear a compression bra 24/7 - even for water aerobics. I use a sleeve and gauntlet for flying, but not for driving and not for my daily exercise classes. Part of my gamble. In both cases, I 'pump' my arms every 30 minutes and walk around as much as possible. Also a chair yoga class has really helped me with deep breathing. Hope you will be be able to make roadside stops regularly.

• flowergal
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thanks for the input Minus. I will probably wear the sleeve and gauntlet when making this long trip just to be on the safe side. It has been 2 years without arm problems and I want to keep it that way (knock on wood) !

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited March 2020
    Options

hugz

Good to ' see you' again!

Im back with a second round (UGH)
    but LX and all good pathology so far

Cant exercise at all anymore :>(

YES I did break the 2 ankles and dominant arm all at once and a total of 6 bones= osteoporosis so cant do the Als ( sigh)

• hugz4u
    edited April 2020
    Options

hi purple. Sorry about your health. Not fair! I remember you had a fall off steps and wrecked all bones. Not fair again!!

Gym is closed due to dreaded virus so I’m chugging around the neighbour hood and weights at home but over the last year my bones are really talking to me. Just going to do my best and keep moving! Doing a lot of stretching. It helps. I’ll be back soon to give April report. Let’s go girls!!

• minustwo
    edited April 2020
    Options

Purple - I remember too. How are you doing with 'round two'? Thinking of you?

Hugz - OK, I'll jump in. I hate it that gyms are closed so no Silver Sneakers or chair yoga. I got my weights out, and there they sit on the kitchen cupboard - just looking at me. But I am walking. This morning will be day four of a 3 mile walk. I don't jog anymore, but set a steady, brisk pace and stride out. If I stop to talk to someone (at a 6 ft. distance), I keep track of the time and add more walking at the end. Hope I can keep this up.

Houston has obliged so far and temps have been back around 70-80 this week, but last week was already in the 90s. Will I walk in the rain? I did 12 years ago when I was quitting smoking. But I was 12 years younger & that was before cancer. Hmmmm.

• flowergal
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi .My sister says there is a sliver sneakers exercise video on you tube that she has watched since being at home.

• hugz4u
    edited April 2020
    Options

minus. It was easier to get me out to gym because it was a scheduled appointment. Now I have the weights staring at me too. Sometimes when I just say that I’m going to do stretches it gets me motivated to do the rest. I also find if I don’t do it in the morn then it just hangs over my head and then I’m doing it at 7pm.
    One thing I do like is hula hooping in front of tv. It’s great for hips and lower back, my Physio is overjoyed that I have incorporated into my life.

I’m looking outside and we have rain coming to. That can be a motivator to get out before it does. But I actually found out if I rain gear up it can be a real serene dead quiet walk as people don’t venture out. You can hear all nature including trees blowing, birds singing. Waves lapping if your near water. I like it. My favourite time to garden is in a light rain. No sunburnt LE arms either! Since I’m on the west coast we have to learn to embrace the rain! No way could I do Houston temps

Get your game on LE’rs ! light stretches in your chair if you can. You tube had some good ideas

• minustwo
    edited April 2020
    Options

Wish I had water close b , as in lake or ocean or stream, but I agree - walking in the rain is peaceful.