Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Nipple reconstruction

Options

Comments

• mormor1
    mormor1 Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2014
    Options

Wise advice, Stix.
    A friend of mine has had radiation and is wondering if there are women out there who have had successful surgical nip recon after radiation (lasted more than a year) or do they pretty much all flatten after radiation?  Thanks so much for any information about yourself or others you know.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited May 2014
    Options

I think it's important to realize that even though many times the nipple flattens out it's still a little nipple. It's still more than having nothing there. My real nipples were very tiny and the new ones flattened out a lot so now they look like what i am used to.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited May 2014
    Options

Just over 6 weeks now post nipple recon. I'm very happy. If I wear something tight, the nipple seems to rebound once the pressure is off. In clothes, bras, etc, it compresses just enough to look very well matched to my natural nipple on the other breast. In the mornings, after having no pressure overnight, it is still prominent, but not "weirdly" so, at least to my eyes. Again, long term, things may still shrink, but, at this point my PS is pretty reassuring that I will always have "enough of something", and that was exactly what I hoped for.

The fat grafting area is significantly better than what I had before, and since we discussed doing the other thigh to even things out, I will likely use that small amount of lipo to compensate for what didn't take the first time around. Timing for that is yet to be decided.

• mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited May 2014
    Options

7 weeks post new nipple-  my nipples are not even and I'm trying to decide if I care or not.  I notice it everytime I see it, but it seems almost silly to fix it.  Can that be fixed?  I think I will need more fat grafting so I guess I could do it then, if possible.

• nihahi
    edited May 2014
    Options

mammalou....do you mean uneven in projection or in location? If it's something you notice, then why not at least discuss it with your PS. 

• mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited May 2014
    Options

They are uneven in location.  I'm so tired of this.  Couldn't he just get them straight!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited May 2014
    Options

mammalogy, I hear you. I just want to be done. I am going to live with the imperfections and I am ok with that. It sure doesn't hurt to ask your PS about it, though. I have weird risks from anesthesia  so I'm done with that.

• MereMere
    MereMere Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2014
    Options

PS said my new girls look great and I get my new nips in Late Aug early Oct!!  Im so excited!! Then off to see Vinnie in March 2015!!!  

• globalgal19
    globalgal19 Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2014
    Options

Sort of new to this topic and have been reading and have some questions.

First, what's this about the thighs?

Second, why Vinnie over the doc.  i've very happy with my PS so far (one more fill to go before exchange).

Third, what is 3D about?

Thanks so much.

• Headeast
    Headeast Member Posts: 393
    edited June 2014
    Options

KBeee and all, hello! I got sorry, I am busy with work and family amd didnt have time to stop by and read from you. 

Today is my third week after my nipple recon and things are coming along. Still have to wear gauze to protect nips but is ok. Scar in lower abdomen is healing nice.

Does anybody feel ultra tired after surgeries! I don't know if it is the surgery, chemo (finished in December) or anesthesia. No energy at all!

• Jeannie57
    edited June 2014
    Options

I just had my nipple tattoos done by my PA. I globbed on Lidocaine before I went. That combined with my numbness anyway=no pain. We picked out a color and away she went. It really was no big deal. I'm bandaged up and bloody, but that is normal. She went over the nips 4 times to get the color in there. They are brown and will fade a lot, perhaps requiring a touch up in three months. My only restrictions are no pool (wah!), hot tub or bath until they are healed up in about two weeks.

• sherry67
    sherry67 Member Posts: 370
    edited June 2014
    Options

Had my nipple tattoos done today, I'm really impressed they look so real.

• Jeannie57
    edited June 2014
    Options

Headeast, I think it's a combination of all of those things. I still don't have all my energy back. Chemo and rads were done over a year ago, two recon. Surgeries in July and Oct., nips in Feb.  it just takes more time than we expected.

• Headeast
    edited June 2014
    Options

thank you, Jeannie. I think it also has to do with the Tamoxifen. It is becoming an issue with me in getting up from bed. I can be sleeping all day. That is not the way I want to live the rest of my short or long life!

• Trinity0723
    Trinity0723 Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2014
    Options

globalgal I'm still learning too, but Vinny is a tattoo artist that seems to do amazing 3d nipple and areola tattooing. Women go to him from all over the world. There is actually a thread on here dedicated to him. There is a video about him that was posted on the DIEP thread. I'll try to find it and post it here. 

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    edited June 2014
    Options

This lady might be another option for nip tats....

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/the_art_of_reconstruction.html

• globalgal19
    globalgal19 Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thanks Trinity!

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited June 2014
    Options

For those ladies who can't get to Vinnie, he posted a link a while back to a site that lists other tattooists. It's how I found my future tattooist in England.

http://www.pinkinkproject.com/Links.html

• HappySpring13
    HappySpring13 Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi Ladies,  I'm getting nipples done next week. I read somewhere in this thread can't remember where about getting nipple stickers so I can visualize placement.  For the life of me, I can not find anything on Google.  I am finding the silicon ones, but they are a little pricey.  Does anyone know of a site or store that sells them?

Thank you,

Elysa

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited June 2014
    Options

Happyspring - right here on BCO - CureDiva - NipSticks - inexpensive!

• HappySpring13
    HappySpring13 Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2014
    Options

BayouBabe -  Wow, thank you so much.  Just looked it up and found them on here.  Will be buying them today.

• Tennisopera
    Tennisopera Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    Options

"To Nipple...or NOT to Nipple!!" Had BM end of October with expander. Silicone implant switch in early April, now scheduled for nipple reconstruction. Told I cannot wear anything compressing this area... I guess this means No bathing suits for all of July!! Thinking of just doing 3D tattoo ?? Ugh... Still dealing with physical therapy for Frozen Shoulders after first surgery!! TOO MANY DOTS On my calendar for medical reasons! 

• nihahi
    edited June 2014
    Options

Tennisopera....If you're unsure and/or "medically fatigued", why not wait until summer is over and see how you feel about things? There shouldn't be a now or ever timeline for you to have nipple recon, if that is what you decide to do. It is easier to camouflage the recon nipple/dressings when you're wearing layers, scarves, etc. anyway. It's a different choice for each of us, but isn't something you have to rush. FYI.....I've been down the shoulder saga too.....hang in there, it does get better. 

• 2timer
    2timer Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2014
    Options

My nipples look awful.  It's been 10 weeks since the surgery and they've pretty much healed but they look like 2 big scars.  I want them removed so I can get a 3d tatoo but I don't know if this is possible.  I'm trying to see another PS to see if anything can be done.

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited June 2014
    Options

2 timer- how did they reconstruct your nipples? My ps mentioned something about cutting the skin around the top of my BMx  incision to recreate it... I'm nervous about the nipple reconstruction. I'm holding off probably until October or November. 

• TechLady
    TechLady Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2014
    Options

2timer - I'm sorry to hear that. It stinks to go through it and not be happy. Hopefully your other PS can give you a solution.

Mommyathome - My PS constructed the nipples from the skin around my mastectomy scar. He said it was like origami - you cut and fold the skin just right and it makes a nipple. I was very nervous too but I have to say I am pleased with the results. At first they looked a bit rough but now they look much better. And they are a good size - they shrunk a little but not too much and I haven't noticed any continued "shrinkage" for the last few weeks. I also think waiting til fall is a good idea. I agree with people that then it's easier to conceal any nipple protection you might need with multiple layers. 

• Headeast
    edited June 2014
    Options

this is two weeks after nipple reconstruction.

• thinkpink4ever
    thinkpink4ever Member Posts: 83
    edited June 2014
    Options

So, I really appreciate the insight that I've found here.  I think I'm going with nipple reconstruction in Stage 2.  I have a followup with Dr. Sullivan on Tuesday and will have to ask about nipples since I'm not sure how he does it.  I've read so many posts and they're all running together in my mind...lol  

2timer, I'm sorry you're not pleased with your outcome.  Hopefully another PS can do a re-do and make you happy.

Headeast, your nips look great!  Thanks for sharing...

One love,

tp4ever

• Headeast
    edited June 2014
    Options

thinkpink, thank you. They are still healing but I am pleased with the outcome. I feel more normal now. 

In my case the skin to recreate the nipples came from my lower abdomen, the PS cut an elliptical shape skin with a 10" diameter. It is below the bikini area and is healing as well. He told me to use gauze for the next two months to protect the nipples. I still can't rub it or swim until he sees me in two weeks and tells me if I am ok to go.

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited June 2014
    Options

Techlady,

Yes that sounds like the way my ps explained. I'm nervous about it not coming out right or being uncomfortable at work. I go back to work in August and I'm teaching kindergarten.... I figure maybe I can do it over a break... My ps said even doing it on Thursday I should be able to work on Monday.... That scares me!! Lol I'm leaning toward Christmas break- ill have a week or two lol