Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Nipple reconstruction

Options

Comments

• TechLady
    TechLady Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2014
    Options

mommyathome - I completely understand being nervous!!  I had my exchange and the nipples done at the same time and I think I was more nervous over the nipple part than anything. Weird, but maybe because I wasn't completely sure that's what I wanted. I have to say though, I am happy I had it done now. Christmas break sounds like a good time for you - less stress about healing and what not. That makes complete sense!

• PatR
    PatR Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    Options

I posted in another Topic area, but I think this is where my questions belong. I had a NSM 3 years ago this month. 3% chance of recurrence if I made that choice.  3 years later, I have a recurrence.  My nipples and areoles are being removed this Thursday.  I didn't even discuss nipple reconstruction with my PS. I think he knew I was pretty blown away, but now I have a million questions.  How long after this surgery will I have to wait? I've been looking at the 3d tattoos, but it looks like a lot  of you here opted for nipple reconstruction. Pro's and cons. Etc. etc. Any ideas/thoughts would be helpful to me as I navigate this next surgery.

• Headeast
    Headeast Member Posts: 393
    edited June 2014
    Options

Pat, I had nipple reconstruction and I feel normal, love them. They are still healing but the work has been so well done, I feel like they are the real ones I lost.

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited June 2014
    Options

15 hours until nipple o'clock!

• Lorbgoo
    Lorbgoo Member Posts: 111
    edited June 2014
    Options

good luck! Your lucky. I have several weeks to go!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited June 2014
    Options

Woohoo, Lahela! Hope it goes beautifully!

• 2timer
    2timer Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2014
    Options

Sorry I'm just getting back to see that I was asked some questions.  My PS did my nipples using the skin that was already there and just manipulating it somehow.  I can't explain it but the only place that was cut was the skin where the nipples were to be.  

I saw another PS Friday and he said I had "delayed healing" and that they would look better after they healed completely. He said once that happens and I get an areola tatoo I would look okay.

• lahela
    edited June 2014
    Options

Now to wait for the unveiling on Friday. Graft sites sting like crazy, but I have no feeling at all on the noobs and I'm heavily bandaged so I just have to hope everything is going well under there!

• Teacher64
    Teacher64 Member Posts: 402
    edited June 2014
    Options

Lahela, so glad to hear from you. I'm sure the unveiling will be wonderful. You are a step closer to the finish line.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited June 2014
    Options

Lahela, I hope you are pleased! Just remember there is shrinkage and changes along the way...

• HappySpring13
    HappySpring13 Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2014
    Options

What happens if my new nipples aren't exactly even?  I just had them done with fg last Wednesday and the new nips look great, but if I wear a top you can see one points one way and the other a different way.  Does anyone know if that is something that can be corrected?  I'm kind of confused as to why my PS would do this, doesn't he check?.  Maybe it's a healing process going on.  I'm seeing him on Monday but Monday seems so far away and I am trying not freak out.  

• damiana9
    damiana9 Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi girls!  

I had a uni skate flap nipple done in December. Unfortunately it didn't take.  I am having more reconstruction done in July and my PS will be using alloderm on my fipple to keep projection.  I am very exciited about this because currenly I have 1 headlight on and 1 headlight off.   it drives me crazy!  I was wondering what everyone did to protect the new fipple?  I tried using hollowed out makeup sponges last time, but I was supposed to keep my surgical bra on 24/7 for at least the first week.  It kept pressing down on the skin around my fipple, so I am wondering if there is a better solution?  I saw Asteame protectors- but they are pricey.  Are they reusable? Has anyone used them?

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited June 2014
    Options

damiana9 - my PS had me buy nursing pads (like new breast feeding mothers use).  I cut a small hole in the center of one, then stacked another on top.  They are slightly curved and form fitting, so easier to disguise in clothes.  The brand I bought also had adhesive strips, like maxi pads, to help keep it in place.  These nursing pads were so easy to use and worked great.

• damiana9
    damiana9 Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2014
    Options

that's a good idea- and affordable too!

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited June 2014
    Options

lala 

I didn't get a tattoo artist for the website you supplied. Can you post again for tattoos.

Vinne is great-but too busy. I can't seem to get any answers from him...

• lahela
    edited June 2014
    Options

Stix, is this the site you were looking for?

http://www.pinkinkproject.com/Links.html

• Stix
    edited June 2014
    Options

Has anybody from here had their tattoos done by Earleen in North Carolina?  Vinnie is great- but too busy. If so let me know who you are on the picture forum----- please! :)

• Lorbgoo
    Lorbgoo Member Posts: 111
    edited June 2014
    Options

I'm in NC. I haven't heard of her but I did hear about pink Ink tattoo. Her name is Tara. She's in Raleigh's. Where is Earleen?

• Stix
    edited June 2014
    Options
  • lahela
    edited June 2014
    Options

I had the doughnuts that were stitched on removed today... DH says the new nipples look great... I didn't look, but will on Monday when they change the dressings again! I'm a coward! LOL!

• thinkpink4ever
    thinkpink4ever Member Posts: 83
    edited June 2014
    Options

lahela, go ahead and take a peek!  You are NOT a coward!  Think about all you've been through, girlie!  Lol!  What were the doughnuts stitched to?

One love,

tp4ever

• lahela
    edited June 2014
    Options

I kind of wish I had looked now, but they are all bandaged up again so it will have to wait. The doughnut things were stitched to the nips to protect them. They just have gauze dressings taped on now, and I can see and feel the nips protruding  :)

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    edited June 2014
    Options
  • lahela
    edited June 2014
    Options

I looked today! They do look like very natural nips, but still with lots of stitches. I was a bit shell shocked - we'll see how I do on Wednesday when I can remove the dressings for a shower. I find wounds hard to cope with and tend to freak out until everything is healed, so I'm sure I'll be thrilled soon enough.

• thinkpink4ever
    thinkpink4ever Member Posts: 83
    edited June 2014
    Options

Glad you finally looked, lahela!  And even more happy that you think they look natural!  Yay!!  I'm scheduled for September 18th and can't wait!

One love,

tp4ever

• lahela
    edited July 2014
    Options

tp4e, I don't recall what kind of nip recon you are having? That surgery date will get here so quickly! :)

• Teacher64
    edited July 2014
    Options

In just 4 weeks I will have nip reconstruction. I'm looking forward to looking more complete.

• lahela
    edited July 2014
    Options

Wow, Teacher, that's so soon! They make you wait at least six months after DIEP here, much longer in my case.

• Teacher64
    edited July 2014
    Options

I was told three months, but it needed to be 4 1/2 for me because a small piece of muscle had to be taken. A friend with the same PS had her DIEP June 10 and will have her stage 2 in mid September.

• Teacher64
    edited July 2014
    Options

what should I wear to the hospital for stage 2 DIEP when I have nipple reconstruction? Same as with DIEP? Button front top and loose pants or loose button dress?