Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Breast Cancer Symptoms - a comprehensive list from those w/bc

Options

Comments

• evergreen9
    evergreen9 Member Posts: 25
    Options

No breast cancer at all in my family.

No pain.

Lump felt firm within an irregular somewhat softer exterior.

Lump was a bit moveable.

No other physical or emotional symptoms.

Dense breasts. Mammo 8 months before was OK.

1st doctor visit "I think it's just a cyst." That's what I wanted to hear, and I skipped out of there, happy as a pig in s_ _ _!

Three weeks later, my husband felt it. "What's that?! he said.

That's when I knew.

My lessons?

1. Dense breasts? Insist on ultrasound too.

2. You can't diagnose for sure just by feeling, and neither can your doctor.

3. If it's a lump you didn't notice before, insist on testing. Don't wait and watch.

4. You only have one go-around. Advocate for yourself!

5. Learn from the research and reduce your risks - don't drink, have a healthy diet, stay away from HRT, exercise (if you aren't physically active that day), for about 30 min a day, and keep weight in a healthy range. Exercise was always at the bottom of my priority list. I did HRT for 5 years. I did not check my breasts as often as I should have.

• evergreen9
    evergreen9 Member Posts: 25
    Options

No breast cancer at all in my family.

No pain.

Lump felt firm within an irregular somewhat softer exterior.

Lump was a bit moveable.

No other physical or emotional symptoms.

Dense breasts. Mammo 8 months before was OK.

1st doctor visit "I think it's just a cyst." That's what I wanted to hear, and I skipped out of there, happy as a pig in s_ _ _!

Three weeks later, my husband felt it. "What's that?! he said.

That's when I knew.

My lessons?

1. Dense breasts? Insist on ultrasound too.

2. You can't diagnose for sure just by feeling, and neither can your doctor.

3. If it's a lump you didn't notice before, insist on testing. Don't wait and watch.

4. You only have one go-around. Advocate for yourself!

5. Learn from the research and reduce your risks - don't drink, have a healthy diet, stay away from HRT, exercise (if you aren't physically active that day), for about 30 min a day, and keep weight in a healthy range. Exercise was always at the bottom of my priority list. I did HRT for 5 years. I did not check my breasts as often as I should have.

• tt74
    tt74 Member Posts: 1
    Options

bump

• 38DD
    38DD Member Posts: 3
    Options

Im in the "not diagnosed but worried" category. Im 37 with no family history of BC. I've been undergoing lots of testing this past year due to fatigue, weight gain and hair loss. I have thyroid nodules (Ca ruled out with biopsy)but despite feeling hypothyroid, levels were sub clinical. Endo ruled out PCOS and started me on synthroid when I begged :) I have felt MUCH better energy and anxiety wise. No change in weight or hair loss. My C- reactive protien (marker of inflammation) is sky high. Autoimmune issues ruled out. Strong family h/o cardiac issues. Left breast started aching several weeks ago and the ache/pain has started coming into my consciousness more often. More constant. A feeling of heaviness. Pain when palpated, but no lump. Gyno felt nothing, and he thinks its due to large bust, but sent me for mammo and u/s. Im scheduled for this Fri. I'm terrified.

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393
    Options

38DD

Welcome to this awful soroity!!!, Actually the gals are nice it is just the reason to be here that is awful.

I am curious, have any of your Doctors checked you vit D3 blood levels?  I have been reading and my PCP and MO both confirmed that many of us with BC also are low on vit D3.  A year ago my PCP started me on 5000ius, this summer it had come up only 3 points from 24 to 27, sooo he boosted me up to 10,000 iu a day.   After  2 months, when I had blood work done at the MO's office I asked to have it checked again, this time it was up to 41.  They really want to see it in the 50+ range.  I have noticed a difference in my motivation, perhaps it is a placebo effect, but I don't think so.,

Did your Dr. order a diagnostic mammogram, and /or Ultrasound?  That's the only way the cancer I had was found.  The Doctors could not feel it.  That was a little over a year ago.  SOOO glad my PCP 'nagged' me into getting the mammo done!!!!

Please feel free to express what ever you are feeling.  We have all been there, done that and some are still dealing with the after effects.  We have a special bond here at BCO!!

Vickie

• Itchyscratchy
    Itchyscratchy Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello everyone I have read through many post before deciding to join and well I guess I just wanted some input on my stuffs going on. Tomorrow morning at 10 I will have my first mammogram (diagnostic) due to 3 lumps I noticed about a week ago. I have two in my right booby and 1 in the left. The one I am really concerned about is the guy I have nick named funky lump due to the other two which are located one in each areola that are round like marbles and hard. Old funky is located on the right booby close to my cleavage up towards the top. Anyhow funky feels hard and lumpy and spread out some what if that makes any sense he doesn't hurt. My boyfriend and mom have told me not to worry and that it probably isn't anything, and yet, I just have this deep down feeling that I already know its cancer is that crazy? I'm not thinking negatively rather the opposite, it is what it is and now I have to go through the steps to get better. Now I do have some things to back up this belief, in the past six months I have went from a size five or seven to a size zero in my clothing, without changes to my diet. I went to the doctor because of terrible swelling of both calves and ankles, tired all the time, short of breath ( I sigh quite often). Well long short of that my TSH levels were pretty high and I was put on armour thyroid for hashi's. that was about a month ago I have felt a bit better but I still am so forgetful, tired (not as bad). So the other day I felt a pea sized lump right below my ear at the very angle of my jaw it's hard but does not hurt sooo this then prompted me to check my breast (which GASP at my age 39 I have never done) I know, I know should of been but honestly just never thought about it who me? Cancer? pftt please :( Dingbat what was I thinking? Exactly I wasn't! So then I found the twins and funky. Crazy thing is the itching I have been experiencing for quite sometime now. I have literally taken my hair brush to my armpits and was like YES!!!!! Momma likes and to my thighs and arms and groin hence my name lol Mind you I don't scratch hard but just having to even resort to this is in my mind a little wacked know what I mean? I have read about others in here who are itchy and I was like wow I'm not really a fruit cake. Well I guess I have rambled on long enough, i am nervous about tomorrow and scared but I just want to feel "well and normal again" thanks for letting me vent wish me luck and I hope to God I am wrong :( Ta Ta for now

• 38DD
    Options

Vickie- yes. My vit. D has been low for years ( not sure about D3 specifically), and I have been on 50,000 ius/week for about 3 years. It has brought me up to low normal range.

I have a mammo and ultrasound scheduled for Fri afternoon ( the script doesn't say diagnostic, but the ICD9 code is breast pain).

Reading through everything here has terrified me, but also has helped me feel more prepared as to what I should be asking! I actually broke out in a cold sweat today when I looked down and saw my left looked larger than my right. Cripes- Friday can't come soon enough!

Best wishes to you tomorrow itchy.

• Itchyscratchy
    Itchyscratchy Member Posts: 2
    Options

I hope that everything is good when you go Friday I will keep you in my prayers tonight. My girls look lovely as ever and this makes me sad because I believe the hardest thing for me to face will be a possible disfiguring or loss of them. I had an augmentation 7 years ago because I was extremely self conscious of my size 32 A boobs and now the possibility of this is just over whelming I really am trying to remain positive and not freak out too much until I really know something so on that note peace out friend much love to you thanks for responding ❤

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

Okay your topic is signs...for me didnt have any that I recall except weight loss. It wasnt like it was 20 lbs but I noticed that I dropped weight rather quickly. I gave up desserts which certainly helped but looking back I think it was an early sign. I didnt feel anything. Mammogram found it. I can say once they called me to come back in I knew it wouldnt be good. Never called back for another appt - never. diane

• doggylady
    doggylady Member Posts: 11
    Options

After reading these posts, I have to say I'm very glad I found this thread. Thank you all for sharing. I am 48, no known family history of breast cancer, but strong family history of other cancers. Reading this listing, I am seeing quite a few signs/symptoms that seem to be a common denominator for many of you, and they are the same ones I have noticed in myself. I have not been diagnosed, so I hope you don't mind that I'm piping up here... I will see a BS for aspiration and possible biopsy in 5 days. I had my first ever mammo on Sept 27th, diagnostic mammo and US on Oct 10th, and was told I have several simple cysts (small to very small), a dilated duct, and a large complex cyst. Huge amounts of stress in personal life for last several years, painful "milk letdown" feeling (my youngest child is 25), memory problems, sleep disturbances, utter exhaustion, vitamin d level of 12, and painful to touch large lump have made me very glad I insisted on aspiration after radiologist said it is nothing to worry about and to come back in a year for screening mammogram. So thank you all for sharing your experiences. I feel so much less like I'm being a hypochondriac after so many of you have said what I have said all along - if you know your body and you know something isn't normal for you, keep pushing for answers. That said, I can't say I am completely sure I want to know what the answers are. I am just scared. I will go, I will keep pushing until I get answers, and I will listen to the answers I am given.

• doggylady
    Options

Bump

• 38DD
    Options

The stories above were helpful to me, so I thought Id come back to finish mine.

My mammo and U/S were thankfully clear. The radiologist came in to speak with me, which surprised me since I was clear. She explained that the tissue on my breast that is painful is the "reactive" tissue (outer quadrant). She feels it may be related to recently starting synthroid. Obviously, I'm very relieved. I'm also so grateful that I don't have to wait for results.

• kyliet
    kyliet Member Posts: 587
    Options

doggylady. My onc says my very small grade 1 cancer that had spread to my lymph nodes had been there a very long time. Your comment about the 'milk letdown' feeling rings a bell. The breast my bc was in was always really full and leaky compared to my other one when breast feeding. I remember going to Drs about 18months after stopping feeding and complaining that my BC breast was still leaking milk. I was told it was quite normal, but I have to wonder?

• doggylady
    Options

Thanks for replying to me, kyliet. I see the surgeon tomorrow - just found out two days ago that it's only a consult. Good Lord, I am so tired of waiting! I just want this thing done so I can get on with whatever I'm doing next.

• SeattleMama
    SeattleMama Member Posts: 10
    Options

Symptoms - extreme fatigue, then the "look" of the diseased breast.  (Found a link after diagnosis, great visual http://www.worldwidebreastcancer.com/what-does-breast-cancer-look-like/

They have not diagnosed me with Inflammatory BC, though it says Inflammatory on my records, and the surgeon and oncologist both say "cancer is inflammatory- PERIOD". 

But it was appearance, until the 8cm tumor grew large enough for me to feel (it grew from undetectable to 8cm within 3 weeks).  Dimpled skin, taut, PAIN, yes PAIN, nipple started to retract.

Mother passed away from uterine cancer. Dad's twin sister passed away from BC (hormone fueled)

• Britishlass
    Britishlass Member Posts: 1
    Options

This was a great Thread, and makes me feel I wasnt crazy all along!  I was diagnosed in July of this year, no lump felt by me or my Gyne or by the Breast Surgeon.  I am Hypothyroid - Hasimotos (with nodules - benign). Was told by my Endocrinologist I was severly Vit D deficient, didnt know the correllation until my oncologist mentioned it. My memory is shot - but I put that down to the thyroid - but wonder if it is part of the BC.  I also had experienced pain in my breast, sharp, stabbing shooting pains. My nipple on my left breast also was slightly inverted, and to be honest, I dont remember if it was always like that or if it slowly became inverted! Exausted daily, but again, I put this down to my thyroid.  I was experiencing pains in my chest also, almost like a bruised feeling, I had a MX of the left breast, but am still having those painful feelings in my chest, so Im not sure what is causing this.  I have told all my Dr's but none of them seem concerned. So, Im another one who experienced pain!  Thanks again for starting this thread.

• doggylady
    Options

Saw the BS today for my consult, and he was surprised that the radiologist didn't seem concerned about the complex cyst. He has scheduled me for a FNA and possible traditional core biopsy a week from tomorrow. He said that on the films he could see that it looked solid, or with very thick fluid. So back to waiting room...

• kyliet
    Options

doggylady, I hope you get some clear answers soon. xx

• doggylady
    Options

Thanks, kyliet. I will let you all know how things turn out. In the meantime, I am so grateful to you ladies for the support. I didn't think I was that concerned about it, but I'm finding that the longer I wait, the more my anxiety monster pops out from around the corner to see if he can break me. He just hasn't learned yet that I'm a hard one to break. Lol

• Vicks1960
    Options

BUMP PLEASE

• Cats134
    Cats134 Member Posts: 9
    Options

I had a bilat mastectomy last December for multiple occurences of LCIS, ALH and radial scarring.  This post got me thinking, prior to getting that dreaded call back from my yearly mammo, I remember my breasts itching, particularly around the nipple area. And I was a tummy sleeper, but for some reason I could not get comfortable laying on my tummy because of my breasts.  I blamed it on my mattress, but I was always reaching underneath myself adjusting my breasts or my nightshirt or the sheets. It felt like I was laying on rocks.

Cats

• hmflah
    hmflah Member Posts: 1
    Options

I read through all of this and just am so relieved that there is finally something that is not textbook about BC. I am 30 y.o. and posted on another thread but I found a lump 2 weeks ago when I was investigating some pain in my left breast. I had a cyst removed in my upper arm/armpit crease in 2005. They didn't get it all but in 2008 I saw a plastic surgeon as it was uneven, bumpy and was slightly painful. He removed all of it without much pain and I thought, ok, move on to life. In the past 6 months to a year I have been having off and on pain in my left breast and armpit. My breasts changed in shape/size and now that I read all of this info I have a better understanding of perhaps why this has happened. I had an ultrasound this past friday (nov. 16) but wasn't going to be read until today. So here I sit agonizing over when they will call. I have an appointment for a mammogram for Wednesday (Nov. 21) and just kept hoping everyday the pain would lessen or go away! But it doesn't and has become sometimes a lulling pain with stabbing pains throughout the days/nights. I also have had an increase in body temperature for over a year, my husband and I used to be able to practically sleep on top of each other because I was always so cold but now I sweat at night. I have a history of BC, my mom, and can't believe how niave I was to not check, ever. So now I have done as much research as I can including word of mouth from real people. I found it disheartening to keep reading the same junk over and over about barely any symptoms. I thought maybe I was going crazy. I have had: memory loss, night sweats, pain, swelling, mood changes from happy to mostly disgruntled ( I don't work at the post office), fatigue and that feeling of short of breath. I have it all. So now I just sit, sit and wait to see what they say. But I will advocate for myself after reading this, I have to!!

• kyliet
    Options

Hugs Heather x

• doggylady
    Options

Had my appointment today with the surgeon and he did a FNA. Said it is definitely a cyst, and a large one, and sent the fluid off for culture and pathology just to be sure, because it was sort of thick and brownish. His words were "sort of snotty" - LOL! I can get pathology results on Monday. Thank you all for being there for support!

• doggylady
    Options

*bump*

• doggylady
    Options

Called the surgeon's office an hour ago to get results of biopsy and culture, as he told me to. They told me someone else would call me back. I hate waiting! Surely they could just pull it up on the computer and tell me. I was pretty comfortable in the belief that it was nothing - just a benign cyst - until I called this morning. Aaaaarrrrrrgh! Don't these people in medical offices understand what waiting does to us? Sorry - I just had to vent today, and you have all been there.

• Shayne
    Shayne Member Posts: 524
    Options

there is so much waiting in this process.........its freakin' amazing............ After all the tests etc etc.......were in my favor......then they tell me, "well, nothing really counts except the final pathology after surgery....everything else is just a guestimate".  Really?

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

Thinking of you Doggylady & knowing the wait is agonizing!

• doggylady
    Options

Thank you ladies. Still no call. I called medical records at the hospital and they will have my reports waiting for me to pick up in the morning. So good or bad, I WILL get an answer tomorrow.

• Vicks1960
    Options

doggylady

Good luck with your test results.  That waiting is really hard!!!  Sure does try to teach us patience!!

I had contura balloon brachytherapy radiation and now have just finished the 1st year of Letrozole (generic for Femara)4 years to go. Have been uneasy about my results until after having a 2nd aspiration removing another 11cc of seroma, a week ago.  Now for the first time since the original surgery in Oct 2011 I finally feel that it is normal and don't have that nagging feeling that there is still somthing wrong. 

Again I wish the best for you...

Vickie