Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Breast Cancer Symptoms - a comprehensive list from those w/bc

Options

Comments

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

I am finding more and more that pace of mind is critical to recovery, for me anyway. 

I needed a natural endocrinologist to get my thyroid in shape and my D3 to the high side of optimum range.  It has helped in many ways.  He is also helping me to keep the ER+ down and the PR+ receptors filled with bioidentical progesterone.  But it does take a toll on me for the emotions.  I am learning to roll to the next issue and deal. 

Point is, I started the thread to get a long list for women and men to share.... and we do have one.  And if we find it is breast cancer, we have to find our way.  But the one thing that seems to be central is the memory and confusion that so often afflicts us and causes issues in deciding and remembering how to go about that recovery.

That said, that is why this website is a good place to make the posts and be able to keep the information and experiences.  I have found it so useful, doing searches on my name and the topic or issue I need to see what I was doing then and deciding or forgot.

April - Like Momine said, yes, you can email this link to your doctor.  If you can email it, then I would think you could print the pages to send them too.  Mods?  Correct that we can share this information?  (They eventually read everything on here for us.) 

MishaT - no doubt you are going crazy waiting for your results from biopsy.  Hang in there.  A good list you shared.  I well understand the intense googling and reading of books.

andthis2shallpass - good story, read it all.  Good sense of self and sense of humor - it will get you far. 

Dawnie - same to you too, and for both of you, the confusion comes with this, as you can see.  But the thyroid being out of sorts and D3 super low are possible causes. Breast cancer or not, I needed mine sorted out and it was but too late for me to avoid the bc.  Saying there are many reasons for the confusion besides cancer, so take heed it could be a sign for those to be addressed too.

kcook - Momine is right, you are nowhere near gone yet.  One of the things that breast cancer teaches is to slow down, let go of the fear and projecting of the future as best we can do, find our peace.  I am no where in that space most of the time, but I do know that is one thing we are able to learn from it.  You are here with your daughter now, a good place.  All is well. 

Thanks for the bumps too, appreciated Snowtimedreaming.

Check out the thread at top of this page for Does Breast Cancer Hurt too. 

But no panicking, all this does not mean it is, just means to be vigilant to deal with it, no one telling you to forget about it.

LOVEEssa

• K_Lee
    K_Lee Member Posts: 1
    Options

Bump

• Emhenrick
    Emhenrick Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi,

Wow, excellent thread, very interesting. I'm waiting to go to one stop breast clinic Thursday, very nervous. I have a very abnormal area in my right breast. Lumpy. Your symptoms have been very interesting to me, I've had night sweats, not regularly but a few times, literally woke up and had to change due to dripping sweat, also last April time I started craving sweet food, however I had just come off the Cambridge diet and have put it down to that. I'm 28 and guilty of being a slightly health conscious due to being a nurse, but I am quite worried about Thursday. You are all very brave women and this website is fantastic. I nurse patients who have BC and will definitely recommend this site. X

• Karen3
    Karen3 Member Posts: 37
    Options

Here's my experience:

Early 2009, went to the doctors with a thickening in my right breast - no lump. I had just had a BIG cyst drained in my right breast and my doctor told me not to worry - it was hormonal changes. By summer 2009 I was feeling very low - and I cannot really explain why. I had ignored the area where I felt the thickening - but I began to feel a great deal of pain from my right breast. The lump, it seemed, suddenly appreared but I was conviced it was another cyst! Instead of trying to ignore it - I felt the lump. It was NOT the same as my cyst - it was hard. I began to worry and went to my doctor. I had an appointment with the surgeon within the week. It turned out to be basal triple negative breast cancer. 

After treatment (chemo, rads, lumpectomy) I was watching for signs of recurrence. By summer 2011 I felt a pain in my opposite breast - it hurt so much. I went to the exact area of the pain. There was a thickening and a 'ridge' / raised area appeared. I monitored it and within a month it had changed / grown. I could precisely pinpoint the area. I went to the breast surgeon who could feel something. So a mammogram / ultrasound was ordered. It showed nothing. But because of my history they did a biopsy - I had major bleeding as a result (which is not a good sign). They found cancer but because it was 'invisible' to scans they did not know how extensive it was. It was then recommended that I had a bilateral mastectomy. It turned out to be 4cm of high grade cancer but this time DCIS - it was also TN. 

So in my case, thickening and pain were precursers to invasive cancer - the second time I knew the symptoms so I managed to catch the cancer early. Also the second cancer was 'invisible' to scans. I had dense breasts so that may be the reason. I also have a BRCA1 mutation of 'unknown significance' but my medical team are treating me as BRCA1 positive.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    Options

I've been lurking for a couple of months, since shortly after I was diagnosed in November (1.1 cm IDC, stage 1, grade 1, 2 negative lymph nodes.  Like several of you, I was concerned about my very uncharacteristic craving for sweets.  Considering the 10-15 pounds I'd gained over the past year, I was wondering if I wasn't becoming diabetic.  I had a lumpectomy in early January and the sugar cravings disappeared overnight.  I repeat, overnight.  Needless to say, I'm on the lookout any return of those cravings!

I also have been bothered for about a year by painful cramps in my calves and fingers. 

• Bluebird-DE
    Options

thanks for the shares and bumps.  Essa

• casm
    casm Member Posts: 16
    Options

I have been lurking and ready different forums on the BCO and there is wealth of information on this website and I am worried about BC and I came across this one.  I am waiting for a appt with BS on 4 Mar for possible cyst aspiration of a cyst cluster (at 6 o/clock) that has doubled in size in the L boob.  I also have a long indentation (4 in) on the lower L boob that looks like my underwire bra left a mark that you can see when I lift my left arm up.  But I am constantly checking the underwire location and IT ISN"T the bra making the mark.  I saw the BS in Dec and she said no worries.  The mammo center sent me a certified letter to come in for my follow up mammo/US (which I was going to blow off because BS no worries in Dec).  I had the Mamo/US Feb 13,  the radiologist suggested a cyst aspiration.  Anyways, these possible early symptoms are interesting to read about.  I was wondering can anyone describe the smell.  Is is a sour smell?  Because I have been smelling that when I get out of the shower etc and other random times.  I keep wondering is it ME!!!?? 

Thanks for any insight.. 

• casm
    casm Member Posts: 16
    Options

bump

• cclaine
    cclaine Member Posts: 1
    Options

Good Afternoon:) I have not yet been diagnosed with any form of Cancer, but have had several symptoms leading up to where I am at now. First, I just want to say that all of you are amazing and I hope that you all do not mind me posting here.

Around 8 weeks ago, I was braiding my hair. I was wearing a tank top and looking in the mirror. I noticed that my  left underarm was considerably swollen compared to my right. I did the whole wait and see for about 3 weeks. I thought for sure if it was a swollen lymph node do to infection it would go away. When it didn't go away I scheduled a doctors appointment with my gynecologist. It took about 2 weeks to get in to her office. I needed a check up anyways. During the examine she felt my breasts and she said that they felt "Great"Laughing but went on to examine my left armpit and she could definitely feel the swollen lymph node/s. She said since it had already been over a month with no shrinking, that she wanted to send me to a surgeon for a needle biopsy. My appointment with the surgeon was a little different that I had prepared myself for. I went in expecting a needle biopsy and left having scheduled a full removal of the lymph node. My surgeon was very thorough and could feel the lymph node on contact. He explained that he didn't want to miss anything. By extracting the whole lymph node he could find out for sure what was causing the swelling. During my pre op appointment. I signed the surgical form that said lymph node/mass removal. Anways, my surgery is Thursday. Not sure if they are jumping the gun. I have had no image/Ultrasounds done of the area. But feel like they just want to get to the bottom of it. I have breast cancer in my family both maternal and paternal sides. Several other different types of cancer. It may not even be breast cancer. And Here I go rambling again! I am 27 female  with two darling daughters. I have a lot to fight and live for whatever the results may be. Thank you all for sharing your symptoms. Thanks for giving me a place to rant! 

• Bluebird-DE
    Options

Cas - I regret taking so long to get back to this thread.  I try to be here every week, questions like yours are important to answer.  Anyone else?  The smell I noticed was downright obnoxious, like body odor without the deodorant.  I never had it before.  I can tell you that once I had the initial lumpectomy, it was gone for many months until there was more cancer to deal with.  I could scrub with soap three times and still would get out with that smell.  Sometimes I used hydrogen peroxide to kill germs, sometimes colloidal silver, sometimes a natural herb based deodorant.  It worked but not for long at all. 

The other side of coin, today the cancer is active and yet there is no smell.  Go figure.

• DanaMay87
    DanaMay87 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello all you brave survivors!!

I am not officially dx hoping I won't ever have to be. But I just wanted to tell all of you how help full and resourceful this thread is. I admire all of you and you give me hope that if I do in fact have bc it doesn't mean my life is over. After reading all of your comments on your symptoms I look back to when all mine started just never new they were possible signs of bc. I have the night sweats OH who am I kidding!! I have the all day sweats with a nasty not my usual sent coming off my chest I thought my PH was off so I've been taking probiotics but not helping. I also have been dealing with horrible leg cramps and horrible fatigue to point that it's affecting my job as a mother and wife. For the past year or so I've just felt like not my self no motivation no interest in nothing just wanting to stay home. I figured it was depression so I've been taking lexapro but I'm still overwhelmingly unmotivated. The symptoms I finally payed attention to is when my left breast/nipple started itching, burning, tingling & I noticed a white sore that is still there and hurts like crazy. I was so uncomfortable with this and every time I went to the dr I was sent home with a ridiculous diagnosis like neopathic pain. My GP treated me 3 x with antibiotics for an infection and a cream she figured since my lymph nodes in that breast were swollen  that it had to be an infection but here I am almost 4 months later and nothing is helping me. At one point I convinced my self that I was just crazy. I see my OB on Tuesday so he could refer me to a BS hopefully I will find out real soon what my body/breast is going through. I just wanted to share my experience with you all and it just feels good to have support out there. Thanks to All you wonderful lady's.

Dana.

• DanaMay87
    DanaMay87 Member Posts: 2
    Options

BUMP

• justG
    justG Member Posts: 1
    Options

So glad I found this site!  I always had VERY large, dense breasts.  In Nov 2008, I had breast reduction surgery, which went very well.  When I had my first mammo following that surgery, in Jan. 2010, there were many changes in my breasts (of course), so they had me come back for many more shots.  I then had to go back in six months (aug 2010).  Got an all-clear and scheduled the next mammo for Aug 2011.  I received a call back and had more pix and a US.  Small spot she wants to watch near rib behind nipple, deep inside of right breast - probably just scar tissue from the surgery she says.  Went back in for next mammo in Oct 2012 - same thing - many shots taken and a US.  Spot doesn't seem to have changed but want to watch it.  Mammos are VERY uncomfortable because of where the "spot" is located - right on rib, deep inside breast.  I have my mammo scheduled for April.  But, suddenly, I am feeling some discomfort in that breast - never happened before (whoops - about 25 years ago I had a papaloma removed from that breast, which was fine).  It is hard to describe - no lump or mass, but nipple is a bit tender, armpit feels a bit tight and the breast just feels uncomfortable, like there is something in there.  I feel the need to just keep feeling it, looking for something.  As I have read the posts on this board, I haven't found anything similar.  I'm worried - (and, yes, I've had some major stressors in the last year).  Any thoughts?

• snowday
    snowday Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello all,

I am dropping in to thank you all for the info everyone is posting. I have no diagnosis, just an area of concern. I had an area of a cluster of calcifications on last mammo, directly behind the nipple on one side. Birads 3. My 6-month follow-up mammo is this week. I have had very low D (11) and have been trying to get it up for the past 15 months with supplements. It is now at 28, so going slowly up. I also have fatigue. I have high platelets as well (out of range). Anyone else have high platelets? I will post back as the results of the mammo come back, but I was wondering about the high platelets. Thank you.

• ElleRusin69
    ElleRusin69 Member Posts: 12
    Options

Though not dx with bc thank God, had lumpectomy ( which was initial going in to surgery thought to be a duct removal) had a 10.5 x 4.5 x 2 cm mass of "grainy fibrous junk" removed my surgeons words not mine pathology report said all 20 slides were ADH with clear margins . And YES I had pain and bloody nipple discharge. PCP thought it was hormonal but I had a hysterectomy over 16 yrs ago have been on the same dose of estrogen and if it was hormonal wouldn't both breasts hurt??? A constant pain very tender to the touch in that area and up into my shoulder blade . 7 weeks post lumpectomy and now my right Breast has BND have breast MRI this Tuesday hope to get the all clear so I can not be a nervous wreck. I never was a drinker but I'm thinking a glass of red wine might be a way to relax. Thank you all so much for sharing. I've learned alot and just knowing you are all here if I need to vent is a great support . Much love & happy Sunday

• kassemma1212
    kassemma1212 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hey all.  I am awaiting appt with surgeon for biopsy so everything is in the air. 

Denise-G,  I also had a boil in the groin 2 months ago that didn't want to go away.

Cyborg,  I too smell things that are not there.  Most of the time something burning but also chemical smells.  This has been going on for quite a while (yrs).

This is my mammo/US report:

There is a new lobulated mass with an indistinct margin in the left breast at 12 o'clock anterior depth.  This correlates as palpated.  Targeted US demonstrates a 0.7 cm x 0.8 cm lobulated mass with an indistinct margin 2 cm from the nipple.  This lobulated mass is hypoechoic.  Additionally, there is a new irregular mass with an indistinct margin in the left breast at 12 o'clock anterior depth.  This correlates as palpated.  Targeted US demonstrates a 0.3 cm x 0.3 cm x 0.4 cm irregular mass with a microlobulated margin 2 cm from nipple.  This irregular mass is hyoechoic.

Impression:  Suspicious of malignancy, targeted u/s suspicious of malignancy

Recommendations:  Biopsies are recommended.  BI-RADS 4

Any hope this will be benign?

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    Options

Hi Kasserman,

A Birads 4 is benign after biopsy in the neighborhood of 80-85% of the time. When it is a Birads 5, that is much more worrisome as that presents a malignancy about 95% of the time. Hoping you are in the majority! I unfortunately was not, but 4 out of 5 people will have a benign outcome.

Best to you and will keep you in my thoughts. Let us know how it goes.

• kassemma1212
    kassemma1212 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks April.  I sure hope so.  :)

• ElleRusin69
    Options

Bump

• chercoco
    chercoco Member Posts: 1
    Options

This post is extremely helpful. Thank you!

• Jestea
    Jestea Member Posts: 4
    Options

Did anyone have reoccuring bouts of shingles before diagnosis??  Have read that there may be a bit of a link but forgot where I read it???  My shingles have been in the neck area...

• gentianviolet
    gentianviolet Member Posts: 105
    Options

I have had shingles three separate times.......the second episode was 5 months before being diagnosed.  In between the second event and the diagnosis I did have the shingles vaccine.  Then two years after being diagnosed I had shingles again, although that episode was the least in duration as well as pain.  All my docs found it very unusual that I would experience it so many times, yet I had always felt that my immune system was excellent.  Obviously I was wrong.

• Jestea
    Jestea Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thanks gentianviolet, I have had shingles too many times to remember but I have even lost some of the pigment in the skin in some areas on the neck.....

Here in Australia, they dont offer the vaccine, which is a shame.  I have asked for it numerous times but to no avail....  I know my last bout, in June last year, I had to get an authorization from the govt just to get a second script within a months period....

• ElleRusin69
    Options

BUMP!'!!!

• momcat1962
    momcat1962 Member Posts: 172
    Options

reposting here....Short history: 50 yrs old, 4 kids, 50 lbs overweight, breast "issues" for over 20 yrs such as spontaneous bleeding on one side, biopsy for fibrocystic change, benign lump removed opposite breast in 1998, history of multiple cysts, an MRI in 2006 and the doctor said my breasts "light up like the 4th of July"...whatever that meant...etc.

I am 6 months over due for my yrly mammo. (Usually a diagnostic one with ultrasound.) I have noticed the right side (same breast side as biopsy done 2 yrs ago)...of the "fat pad" in my armpit has increased in size. It is about 2-3 times the size of the left. It has been sending some dull pains down the under side if my arn just past my elbow and some aching in that side of my upoer back. When lying on my left side the right feels harder and when I did an exam I felt a pea size lump...pretty sure floating so a node? EDIT: I have chronic low vitamin D. I have been reading this thread...the sugar cravings are what got me. I have been eating sweets like no other the last 3 months or so...candy after candy. Although I do like sweets this obsession has gotten out of control.

I have autoimmone issues concerning lack of perspiration but the last few months have sweat under the arms and breasts as well as a few night sweats. I also noticed some odor ..it's as if I had been lying in a tanning bed...not noticed that before the other day. The side in question has some twinges of pain in the area just under the armpit and far side of the breast..like some tenderness when touched. My question...can a person have BC in the armpit area, or nodes, but no lump in the actual breast? I do feel lumps but where I have had olive-size cysts in the past.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    Options

I am no expert, but I am thinking the answer is yes. BC has even been found in nodes without finding anything in the breast (called occult primary or something like that) so get your self to a doctor asap! Best of luck to you. Hoping it is benign!

• momcat1962
    momcat1962 Member Posts: 172
    Options

Thank you, April. I have an appt scheduled with my GYN in a week. This will only be the 2nd visit with him. My former gyn of 15 yrs knows all about my breast issues. His mother died aver BC so he was very diligent...I hope this new one will be, too. Actually, thinking about ut...the new guy was the one who called for my last diagnostic mammon/ u/s.

• HumbledBug
    HumbledBug Member Posts: 3
    Options

This is a fantastic topic. I am currently awaiting results back from my second ultrasound. Feb 14th mammo and ultrasound found a benign lymph node in my left breast. I have looked all over the internet on symptoms i have and there are so many different causes for it. Pain, discharge, the feeling of the breast filling up liquid moving around Clogged Duct? (mastitis feeling)and itchyness inside the breast around the nipple, the forgetfulness, the tiredness and im getting major migrains (stress?) and omg the craving for sweets. I keep trying to rule out the C word but its just too coincidental. I had to read more as its very interesting to see the similarities in everyone before thier DX...i was diagnosed with vertigo over 5 years now I thought it was Diabetes at first and stopped my sugar intake...recently i have been getting abcess's in places i would rather not discuss but am able to get rid of them on my own without having them drained using Tumeric Powder....so many similarites on previous histories its mind boggling... Thank you so much all of you for sharing your stories. Hopefully i will recieve a call soon to let me know whats happening :/

• Jenny2578
    Jenny2578 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Essa,

Great thread. I have been hanging around here too since my follow up mamm an us on April 4th. It helps to know that I am not alone in my fears of having bc. I must say that I'm a little more worried as well as encouraged that a dx of bc is not the end of the world an that there is hope.

I have most of the symptoms described :( I had my first mammo in sept 2012 at the age of 34 after waking up with sum pain an tenderness in my arm pit area. I had never really even done a bse but followed the tenderness down into my breast an found a pretty big lump at about 11:30 just above the nipple. I didnt really say or do anything about it for a couple months because I did not want to know that I had bc. Finally after monitoring it an saying something to my boss about it I made an appointment with my doc an sent me in for a diagnostic mammo which was followed up with an immediate us. Radiologist stated that it looked like a cyst but I also had another solid mass at 3:30 an he wanted to schedule me for a 6 month follow up on the 3:30 due to not having any prior mammo for a baseline. Mom an sis have fibrocystic breasts so I figured I have the same. I wasn't real worried at the time.

So I just went back for the follow up an there have been many changes in 6 mos. Cyst is now smaller but solid, new mass next to it that is a complex cyst an the 3:30 is now angled it one spot. I am scheduled for a biopsy on all 3 spots this Monday 4/29 an very anxious. Now I WANT to know what's going on!

I had a physical trauma a few months before finding the original 'cyst'. Have also had memory problems but thought that was because I have actually knocked myself silly an had concussions quite a few times in my young life. I crave sweets like crazy, eat alot of yogurt. Have pain in my breast, like the stabbing, aching pain described but also for the last month have pain in an around my shoulder blade as well as under my arm. Now chest pains sometimes. I would like to think that this is all in my head but have this horrible gut feeling that it is in fact bc. I never had any of this stuff except the memory issues before I found the lump.

I have been waiting all month long for these biopsies after the breast center tried to get me in ASAP but they had to wait on my doc for the order an by the time the order came in they were all booked up for most of the month. I have been anxious about it but now am VERY anxious because of all these symptoms. I don't think they are all in my head now an it's helping to prepare myself slowly. Now I believe that if they say it bc I will not think its the end of the world, I will just be like OK what's the next step an just enjoy each blessed day I have on this earth. To live that way is a blessing I believe because you are just more in tune to life, nature, gods gifts an helping others which is what your thread has done for me. From the bottom of my heart...thank you for helping others to know they are not alone. Have a blessed day!!

• Jenny2578
    Jenny2578 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Forgot to mention complete exhaustion. I have to take pain meds for degenerative disk disease in my neck an it usually give me quite a bit of energy but hasn't for the last couple of months, now have to do a 5 hour energy or a bunch of coffee an still want to go to sleep at 8:00 in the evening because I can't keep my eyes open.