Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Breast Cancer Symptoms - a comprehensive list from those w/bc

Options

Comments

• dusterella
    dusterella Member Posts: 5
    Options

Thinking of you doggylady! Hope you get the results you are hoping for.

I am almost done with my chemotherapy (last round of Taxol is Dec 20th - woo hoo!), so I figured I should list some of this before I forget.  I found this thread originally when I was waiting to be diagnosed, and really identified with a lot of the symptoms.  I acutally felt a little better once I got the diagnosis because it meant I wasn't crazy! Here are mine, which started about 1 year before diagnosis (some of them - Low D and high sugar - started 2+ years before - but I had also just fought severe pre-eclampsia while carrying my son, so I've had a rough 4 years of health!):

- My mother fought 2 separate breast cancers, 12 years apart

- Low Vitamin D

- Incredible fatigue; could hardly get out of bed some days (had all my blood tests come back normal)

- Borderline high blood sugar (not high enough to be diabetes, but definitely up there, but I'm not overweight or really out of shape)

- Sleep disturbances; couldn't go to sleep at night, even though I had incredible fatigue

- High anxiety / paranoia; just FELT something bad was going to happen (we had just undergone a bunch of change in our lives - I thought it would have to do with money, jobs, natural disaster...NEVER guessed it would be cancer)

- Sharp, short, piercing pain in the right nipple, randomly (my lump was eventually found in my right breast)

- Dull, throbbing pain in my right underarm (they didn't find any positive nodes when they did the BMX, thank goodness, but I haven't had this pain since)

- Lump found on self-test, about 10 o'clock on my right breast; uneven borders, didn't move around, no real "pain" - but I once I discovered it, I definitely "felt" it, even when I wasn't touching it physically; heavyness, a little achy, etc (may have been my subconscious)...it nearly doubled in size from the date I found it (Apr 10th) to the date of removal/BMX (June 15th). My "brand" of BC is Triple Negative, Grade 3, fast growing.

I just want to re-iterate not to wait if you notice a change of any sort in your breasts. Get 2 opinions if you need to. But also, try really hard not to stress until the biopsy is done; it only makes it worse.

Oh, turns out I'm BRCA1+ - so, definitely genetic in my case!  My mother had the same "brand" of cancer, both times.

• jenjenl
    jenjenl Member Posts: 409
    Options

I had ZERO symptoms - just a pushy radiologist.

• traii
    traii Member Posts: 379
    Options

One arvo i was changing my 2 year old sons nappy when he accidentally kicked me in the boobie......it bruised up a few days later......didn't think anything of it, as i was rubbing it I felt a little lump, thought it would go away and that it was 'tissue' built up or something from the kick.

I was scheduled for a mammogram anyway in 3 weeks so I didn't worry about it, bruise went away but lump remained, it moved around,wasn't sore, no nipple discharge, no redness, no shrinking of the boob, nothing oh except for a really itchy boob but thought that was just because it was 'healing' from the wound...!!!

I finally went in for the mammogram.....followed by the ultrasound (which I was having for my thyroid nodules anyway) so I saw on the ultrasound something didn't look right....(as I had researched what ultrasounds of the breast SHOULD look like if normal) and this didn't.

Ended up being IDC Stage 2 16mm Grade 3 (agressive) attacked 2 of my 10 lymphnodes. ER/PR++ Her2-

Oncologist stated that this 'could' be caused by Mantle radiation to the chest when I was 18 years old and undergoing treatment for Hodgkin's Disease/Lymphoma.

So I'm putting it down to something that cured me before, has caused another cancer in me.

I think after I was diagnosed I started 'feeling' and 'seeing' the signs of BC.....shrinkage of the breast, inverted nipple and sharp shooting pain. 

...Always check your breasts and any sign of change go get it checked out....it may not be anything but there is always that chance, the earlier caught the better prognosis

• doggylady
    doggylady Member Posts: 11
    Options

Ladies, thank you all so much for sharing your symptoms/signs. Even though I have seen several (quite a few) of them in myself, I will chalk it up to "unknown" or "something else". I picked up my reports today, and the final cytology report says "negative for malignancy". That is good enough for me! I follow up again in 3 months, but I can breathe. And maybe sleep. I feel guilty rejoicing in those three words on my report, knowing what you have all dealt with and are still dealing with. You are all remaining in my heart and prayers.

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393
    Options

doggylady

No need to feel guilty!!!!!  We are all happy for you.  That is some of the best news you could get.... Should you want to , you can keep following the forum as long as you wish...\'

Have a WONDERFUL HOLIDAY SEASON!!!

Vickie

• traii
    traii Member Posts: 379
    Options

100% agree with Vickie. No need to feel guilt. 3 of the best words you can get. Just keep up with your own checks doggylady.

Have a great day :)

• doggylady
    doggylady Member Posts: 11
    Options

Thank you Vickie and Traii. I will definitely keep up with my checks, and all the rest. This two months (all began with first mammo on Sept 27th) of worry and waiting and fear have taught me a lot about myself. And yes, I would like to stick around if nobody objects. I can learn a lot more from you all. The genuine caring for others that I see and feel in these forums is not easy to find, and it does my spirit good to be around.

• stride
    stride Member Posts: 151
    Options

In hindsight, the first symptom I probably had was weight loss. The lump came out of nowhere, grew fast and eventually became painful. But the weight loss started probably at least a couple of months before the lump was palpable.

• Merlcat
    Merlcat Member Posts: 122
    Options

In hindsight, the only symptom I had, and I don't remember how any years ago it appeared so I can't be sure if its even related, was a dark fine hair coming out of where eventually my dcis would be near my areole. Other than that, absolutely nothing

• Vicks1960
    Options

BUMP PLEASE

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

Thanks Vicks - And to all who have posted.  I started the thread then ended up needing to focus on rebuiling my business and have been consumed, so I don't stop in like I committed to doing.  But this is here to read.  When I have more balance, can have more balance - hahaha since my everything went scattered to the four winds while I was so ill - then i will be back often again.

Love Essa

• Vicks1960
    Options

BUMP PLEASE

• Vicks1960
    Options

BUMP PLEASE

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700
    Options

I definately had the sour b.o., even without exertion. Had already been through menopause, but started having what i thought were hot flashes at night again. definately my energy level went down, and started taking longer more frequent naps. Did any one else experience cramping in thier toes or feet? I know that is a sign of dehydration, but I hadn't changed my fluid intake. Unexplained weight loss, normal weight around 125,was down to 106,nice, but even skinniest jeans were hanging. I suspected something somewhere, and expected the worst. I love this site, don't post often, but am so glad we are not alone in this.

• Bluebird-DE
    Options

Thanks Kathec for sharing.  Cramping in toes and feet, I would think needing potassium too could help. 

Thanks Vicks for bumping it up so others will get a chance to read the stories.

The reason I know the cacner is not active is everything that was on my list when it was is not happening, including the smells in my body and tiredness and nausea.  Is good to come back and see the list and go nope nope nope, nothing.  Hope others have the same experience and hope.

One of my symptoms of active is a lymph node on front breast bone that sticks out, when the cancer was inactive, it went down in July I think, or August and still gone. 

The smell of body that changes when cancer is active, gone for 7 months now but that was huge symptom for me.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    Options

Just a bump cause I think this is an important thread!

• Shayne
    Shayne Member Posts: 524
    Options

Agree!  So many people bitch about mammos, being OVER diagnosed, having unnecessary biopsies.......hey, I used to be one of those people.  I did self exams more than once a month.  Never felt it.  Neither did my doctor.  It was so so small, everyone told me it was a cyst, but lets biopsy it just to be sure.....  Now I shout from the rooftops - get your screenings!

• madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216
    Options

I haven't read all the way back recently, so this may have been addressed, but I wanted to add a comment that I have seen several times recently while reading other threads. 

Many women were told that their suspicious lump could not be cancer "because it moved". 

Mine moved too, and it most definitely was cancer. 

Just wanted to add it to the growing list and bump the thread.

• Bluebird-DE
    Options

To MadPeacock from MadBluebird - yes, my lump moved too, it was lumpy and moveable and when just sitting around watching a movie there would be lightning stings through my breast and I would hold it and keep it warm.  I remember it moving.

Thanks for bumping this thread, sometimes I don't get back often enough and comment on others experiences and keep the thread moving, so it's great to know others are watching out for this, that way getting info to the others who need it.

LOVEEssa

• MishaT
    MishaT Member Posts: 2
    Options

This is an amazing post. I am right in the midst of a breast cancer scare. My mammogram was clear, but there is a small hard mass at 1:00 in the left breast. Ultrasound suggests it looks like a healthy lymph node, but the surgeon wants to go ahead with excisional biopsy, scheduled for Jan 31. I am on board with that but so, so scared as I sit and wait and even more scared as I read through this thread.

My symptoms are

-chronic pain in both breasts but more pronounced in the left

-fibrocystic breasts

-thickness in the left breast

- nipple retraction in the left breast (this is not necessarily new, I don't think it is, but now I have lost faith in my memory)

- a feeling of a slight pulling on my left nipple

- tired, but I was born tired :-)

- feeling a little hotter than usual

- family history- maternal grandmother and aunt.

I have been googling breast cancer like crazy, and this list is among the best things I've come across.

UPDATE: These symptoms turned out not to be cancer for me. The lump was biopsied and identified as focal adenosis. pathology also stated chronic inflammation related to fibrocystic breast condition.
  • april485
    Options

I am having a stero-tactic biopsy on 1/25 and have not yet been diagnosed. But, when going through my history with the APRN the other day after she did a breast exam, I told her I had pain in that breast in the exact spot they will biopsy and she once again sighed and said "Breast Cancer does not cause pain" and I told her that was NOT true and that many women experienced pain in their affected breast prior to diagnosis. She looked at me like I had two heads.

My question is this: Would it be permissible to print this thread and show her or would that violate the privacy of the community? I am exasperated with this line of thinking. I am having profuse hot flashes at night again and I stopped getting them several years ago after menopause (am almost 58) and she also seemed to think it was unrelated.

I am praying that the biopsy goes well and that the micro calcs which tripled since my July mammo are just from fibro cystic breasts, but I am doubtful after feeling the way that I do.

Please let me know if I can "school" them because this is a MAJOR BC center (Yale) and I would think they would be open to knowing that women are telling the truth when they say they have pain in their breasts!

TIA for any information you can give me about whether I can print this and show it to them. Would never do it without knowing it was ok!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    Options

April, I wish you would share with them. Like many other women here I had pain, night sweats etc.

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

April I found pain, lumps, & redness at my nipple in the same area I had a previous B9 biopsy 4 years prior on a Saturday by Monday morning when I called my Gyno all was gone but some pain. I got in that day anyway & my Gyno said she could send me for a mammo Because of the pain! My BC was found same breast same side of nipple but on the side of breast near to the axillary area. I had also had an on & off achyness their for the past 4 years but nothing was ever seen in my mammos or US till that mammo my Gyno had sent me for. It was 7 months after my yearly mammo! The receptionist at the Gyno that day told me BC doesn't hurt! Yeah & Birds don't fly!

• Shayne
    Shayne Member Posts: 524
    Options

I think its fine to print this out - there is a button for email on the top right.....seems like its fine

• Snowtimedreaming
    Snowtimedreaming Member Posts: 5
    Options

Bump for you

• andthis2shallpass
    Options

Hello everyone,

I like to start off my saying that I wish all of you the best possible outcome in your situation. It would be much more ideal to have shared stories of a different nature! 

Secondly, I would like to thank you all for your stories, and say that I really found this thread helpful! I’m sure that this will benefit many women. For me, it has been the most helpful and informative one I’ve found on the web!

Well, on to me. I have not been diagnosed with BC but have an appointment on the 30th with a surgeon. I just turned 30 in November, so most people brush off my concerns because of my age. I discovered a pretty large sized lump in my right breast about a year ago. Initially, I was concerned but everyone I expressed my concerns with would try and convince me that I was worried for nothing. It worked enough to make me delay going to the doctors. I was mostly concerned about the lump because I was also experiencing several changes (potential symptoms) with my body. Symptoms like…several swollen glands throughout my body that would come and go (face: pea sized in front of ear, neck, & a couple other places), weird smelling oily sweat (face & chest mostly), overall more sweaty than usual, slow healing wounds and especially slow healing pimples/acne on face, dizzy spells, EXTREME fatigue, confusion (forget everything: lose things, forget what I was /am going & what I’m looking for, where I was going when driving), and tenderness in  the same breast. I have also lost a few friends because I used to be pretty active in accompanying friends on outings with our kids and visit people much more. Within the past year, all I do is stay in the house. The idea of leaving to do anything almost seems dreadful and creates a feeling of anxiety. Pretty much anything in life seems to be too much for me to wrap my head around. I am completely unorganized anymore and have a hard time even remembering to pay the bills. I attributed my problems to many potential causes. Acne (even though slow healing) to stress or hormone changes due to getting older, lump to potentially be a swollen lymph node (even though it hasn’t gone away but sometimes I forget about it), dizzy spells (maybe dehydration), fatigue and lack of social interaction to possible depression.

This thread made me acknowledge that those DX’d with BC can have pain and tenderness, odd smelling sweat, dizziness, fatigue, forgetfulness….well, pretty much almost all of my symptoms. So, it prompted me to not delay any more & really be assertive at my appointment. 

The sad part is, I can go on about things I’ve experienced within the last year or so but for the sake of not writing a book, I’ll give you a condensed version. Thanks in advance to anyone who reads my lengthy post!

• kcook
    kcook Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi i have a lump. Its behind my nipple. Its painful. I get my biopsy on wednesday. I have a hx of breast in my family. My.maternal grandmother died from breast and lung cancer. My name is tata. Can you guys please pray for me. I Am scared.im going to leave my ten yr old behind. Im scared i wont be here to see her grow up.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    Options

Kcook, one step at a time. You are nowhere near gone yet. First of all, it may be benign. But even if it isn't, you have every good chance of getting past it. But you have the prayers, of course.

• Dawnie
    Dawnie Member Posts: 1
    Options

Wow! I can find symptoms I have experienced in most of these posts! I realize that they can all be explained away, but it is odd that so many women can have the same experiences.

• Fatigue! - doc says it is typical as I had my last ovary removed about a year ago & this would be the time I would be having issues testosterone etc.
    • Memory Issues - I sometimes dont recognize where i am driving (although I have driven that road for years); forgetting criticle items at work and the list goes on. Tried vitamins & other pills but to no avail. Doc said not to worry
    • Depression - chalked it up to way to many deaths in a short amount of time; people that were significant in my life & too young to leave (suicide of niece, murder of old friend; motor cycle death of daughters step brother; co worker death legionaries) these all happened within 2 years. During that same time we lost our house. Started Welbutrin did not help. It's now been a couple years since the last & it has not gone away.
    • Couldn't work up the energy or motivation to do the things I usually love doing - cleaning my house (believe it or not I LOVE to do this); visiting my grandmother; felt like a chore to do just about anything.
    • Weight loss - I could have stood to loose a few pounds, but I lost enough that people noticed "wow you lost weight; good job!" I chalked it up to all the above & being extremely busy as work.
    • All of the above did not phase my doctor even though I am BRCA2, my mom has 2nd recurrence of breast ca (now stage IV); mom had rectal ca; grandmother had breast cancer, her mom & aunts had breast or ovarian. Grandfather had breast cancer.

Now I have something suspicious on my U/S (aspiration next week). My mom's oncologist looked at the results (as a courtesy as she is not my doctor) and had me schedule an appointment with her (maybe just out of kindness). Anyway, I don't know what will come of my appointment next week. Maybe it is nothing & maybe I do have early onset Alzheimer's (I am 48) or maybe I am clinically depressed and need shock therapy. I agree with everyone on this thread TRUST YOUR BODY!! You are the only one that truly knows it! Be a complete PIA to your doctor, bug them until they give you the test or exam needed, if for nothing else, to put your mind at ease.

• april485
    Options

Symptoms now that I have been diagnosed

1. Fatigue - am a busy person but this was way out of whack

2. Pain in the breast exactly where they found the cancer

3. Night sweats the likes of which I didn't even have during menopause and occasionally this would happen during daytime hours too, but mostly at night.

4. Very low vitamin D-3

5. General feeling of something is just not right

6. Craving sweets more often than normal - not a huge sweet eater but lately, want cookies, brownies, cake and candy. NOT like me.

I have several risk factors too - early menses (the day before I turned 11) was obese for years and then lost most of the weight (down to my last 22 lbs to go!) smoker, high stress in my life and cervical carcinoma in-situ at the age of 24. Never had a problem with that since and tx was just a snip and no other tx necessary. Also many family members with cancer - colon, liver, ovarian.

I believe that we know our bodies better than ANYONE. I also had high cortisol levels in my body due to stress and my adrenal glands were sluggish and I was told pre-cushings but after I divorced my ex in 2002 and my stess levels dropped, I was able to turn that around. Then my DH lost his job 4 years ago and has only worked a few contract jobs since and we are going through our retirement funds to stay afloat. Then my Mom passed suddenly and we take care of my dad who has dementia. STRESS is my middle name!

Hugs to all and may we always pay attention and take charge of our own health!