Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Why was I stronger DURING treatment than I am now?

Comments

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited December 2013

Timbuktu - It is indeed a challenge to stay in the NOW. I'm learning slowly. Am also learning that my mind is my own worst enemy and the cages that I inhabit, are of my own creation. The more I understand about living in the moment, the more I realize how much more I have to learn. Baby steps. Or something smaller than a baby.

Also, the moment that I think that I'm relatively sane, something catches me off-guard. I'm okay with that though - I allow myself a lot of room for meltdowns. Last week my friends 16 year old black lab stopped eating and drinking and could barely move. They found a tumour on her spine. Monday they operated and the vet said she would probably recover well because she's built like a 'brick shit house'. This morning I got a text that the dog was 'Cancer-Free'. Just reading those words squeezed my heart. Couldn't stop crying - it really got to me. Some days I can read about illness and feel almost nothing, other days I'm busted wide open.

On a lighter note - I was in the wine store yesterday, after walking there in -8 C weather (17 F). Everybody was bundled head to toe and grumbling about the cold. There was one guy there in a flimsy jacket buying some super cheap hooch, and he said 'Every morning that I can wiggle my toes is a good morning because it means I'm alive!' I walked home being so friggin' grateful for the fresh clean air and my cozy little house, and my warm hat and jacket.

• Timbuktu
    Timbuktu Member Posts: 1,423
    edited December 2013

I am so with you Janet!  When I was diagnosed I said I would never complain about Chicago's lousy weather again.

Every day is a gift.  So here we are and at the moment it's 7 degrees out.  But the sun is shining and at the moment I am feeling well.

No complaints!

• HHCats
    HHCats Member Posts: 58
    edited December 2013

OK you all are making me feel like a real chump! LOL

BTW, thank you to all of you who have replied to my post. I totally relate and it's good to know I am not alone.

I have done pretty well with recurrence fears until last month. I got a clean bill of health on October 30 and on November 2 it was my 13th month "anniversary". It just hit me that it's all done but the living and all I did for 13 months was pretty much try to not die. It also occurred to me that it is a long time between year 1 and year 3 when you are triple negative. I know that sounds crazy to those of you who are receptor positive - but they make a huge deal about getting to year 3 and then to year 5 as signs you are free of this disease that you just live for those dates to come. They tell you that all you have is chemo and radiation (unless you get a BMX like I did) and once you have that - they've done all they can for you so you "watch and wait" but they don't do scans or blood work because it won't make much of a difference if they find it sooner rather than later. It's a harsh sort of "pep" talk. Sort of like hey you are lucky you just have to make it to three years and you likely will never recur. But if you don't - then it's really bad news.

So yesterday my husband calls me and says that there is an article in the paper that talks about a researcher at the University of British Columbia who has identified a pathway for triple negative. I ran to read it and all I got out of it was pretty much there will be a targeted therapy for us within 5 years and as I told my husband - that will pretty much do nothing at all for me. If it's coming back for me - it's coming back soon.

I'm a total downer and I know it. So I apologize. I have this running through my head a lot and my kids are just nuts with Christmas fever and I'm overwhelmed. I tried to get some things picked up and done today and went shopping. I worked on teacher presents and getting my kids ready for tomorrow's Christmas bazaar at school. I am home alone with the kids tonight - my husband has his work Christmas party - and have no clue about dinner and am dreading bedtime. I thought about getting an Elf on the Shelf but I want one whose eyes glow red when the kids do something bad!

Hugs

Robin

• Timbuktu
    edited December 2013

This is the one place you never have to apologize for being a down!  We're all rattled.

• HHCats
    edited December 2013

Thanks! I really think I am losing it sometimes. I did all this Christmas stuff today and found that I wasn't happy doing most of it. Then I realized that probably 50% of the people at the mall with me weren't happy either! There is so much pressure to "make memories" with the kids and when you have gone through this experience it feels even more urgent at least to me. I told my husband that I feel like my kids memories of me will be of me yelling at them all the time. He said that's not true. I just haven't been able to strike a balance since I got out of treatment - really since school started (the summer was pretty good). I want to be a good mom who gives them good memories. Right now they are getting the "real" me. I guess that is better than some superficial (I know a few) moms who want everything to be perfect - the clothes, the cars, the vacations, etc. Instead my kids get bitchy, take-out ordering, let's watch cartoons mom! No one is starving, everyone is healthy and I think they all know they are loved. At least I hope so. On the good news front - I didn't spend much time thinking about kicking it today! LOL

Oh and if you get a chance google "Westjet Christmas Miracle" and watch it on YouTube. I've watched it 5 times and I end up crying every time it is so good. As a transplanted American - I just love Canada (most of the time). However, when I am at the school and they say the Canadian Pledge to the Flag - I silently mouth the words to the American Pledge of Allegiance!

• Timbuktu
    edited December 2013

About take out....I used to watch my granddaughter twice a week when her mother worked.  I wanted to be the good grandma so I'd make her a very healthy lunch with eggs and tomatoes and strawberries for dessert,  The first time I sat her down in front of lunch she just stared at it.  Finally she pointed and said "What is this?"  I said "lunch".  She said, very disapprovingly "Mommy doesn't give me this for lunch, she gives me real food like pizza or Chinese."  Your kids will have great memories of your take out meals because they are what mommy gives them and they love mommy!

• HHCats
    edited December 2013

TImbuktu- Tonight we got "Swiss Chalet" (a Canadian institution) - they were in 7th heaven because I went and ordered them each an individual special meal. I heard from all three of them "This is the best meal ever from Swiss Chalet! From now on this is what we want!" They cleaned their plates. I had to laugh. One is trying to do a partial handstand in my bed, the other is watching Disney XD channel and the eldest is "cleaning" his room. I just allowed him to do his own laundry. We are now all going to read since this very important program on Disney is almost over! I've had to put a return address on a letter to Santa tonight, too - his postal/zip code is H0H 0H0! The Canada Post employees actually answer the letters - it's really sweet. My daughter wrote Santa's address all over the place on the envelope but it will get to the Big Man regardless!

• MrsDarcy
    MrsDarcy Member Posts: 50
    edited December 2013

HHCats - I so remember those days of my sons writing to Santa. They were always very careful to write the HOH OHO postal code. They are now 22 and 19. I still make them stockings though ;). I haven't eaten at a Swiss Chalet in ions !!

• wintersocks
    wintersocks Member Posts: 434
    edited December 2013

juniper,

My 16 yr old surprised me by asking for a stocking (I inwardly groaned). Xmas or Xmad as I call it, is going to be a drag, but at least an improvement on last year when I had just finished rads and then promptly got flu.

My tree is looking forlorn too,- but hey who cares?

• Timbuktu
    edited December 2013

I dare anyone to read your post and not smile!  I'm jealous!  Enjoy the moment, it's all we've got!

• honeybair
    honeybair Member Posts: 234
    edited December 2013

timbuktu, so happy that the epsom salts took care of your wound. We do worry when anything effects the side where nodes were removed. I will buy some salts in case I need them for future use.

Wishing you the best in resolving your urinary tract problems.

• Timbuktu
    edited December 2013

Thanks honey.  Turns out the blood is coming from my uterus.  No blood today!  First day in a month.  I go for another exam and ultra sound tomorrow.  Dr says I may need a D & C.  For some reason I am less afraid of this than the urinary tract problem.  You can live without a uterus but not a urinary tract!

Has anyone else on here had bleeding from their uterus?

• HHCats
    edited December 2013

Timbuktu & Junipergirl & Everyone - I will try to give you a picture which will likely trigger some memories. Tomorrow my kids who attend Catholic school will attend the annual Christmas Bazaar. They will march onto the school yard armed with a huge bag each of gift bags, tags, wrapping paper, and bows - along with a list of "suggestions". They are permitted to shop for an hour and I gave each of them $22 (my eldest got $23 because I could only find a toonie) to spend on the other four members of our immediate family. Tomorrow afternoon I will meet them back at the school yard and they each will proudly lug a huge bag of presents (priced $2-$8) into the van. They will have spent most of the rest of the day post-shopping selecting just the right wrapping materials and wrapping their presents. I helped with kindergarten last year - it takes all afternoon! We will drive approximately 3-5 minutes home in which time they will vow to God and country that they will not tell anyone what they bought. Within 2 minutes of hitting the door - the jig will be up. They will be unable to handle it and start handing out presents right left and centre! Last year I opened a lovely cat picture frame (I was told by child #1 it was for the photo of our late cat, Hannah) - while children #2 and #3 looked on in shock and then giggled and giggled. I then unwrapped two more of the SAME cat picture frame!! I have received from my eldest a miniature nativity scene which holds a place of prominence in our house now and a fantastic Snowman Santa which I think might be my favourite gift of all time because he told me he insisted (he was 7 at the time) that the woman working the booth look to see if she had any more when she said they were all gone. She found him the last one under the table in a box! My girls have given me some of the most out-landish jewelry I have ever seen ($1) and my son gifted my husband a NASCAR steering wheel cover (my husband doesn't watch NASCAR!) which once put on his new car refused to come off for over two years and emitted this awful smell! It was fantastic! I called him at work when I saw it and said "you WILL love this gift and you WILL use it." My girls like to buy Daddy Christmas ties - you know the kind that you push a button and they light up and play music? They are very confused when my very proper (only at work) lawyer husband doesn't wear them to work! He does wear them on Christmas Day - for a short time.

This week I already attended a Christmas mass at school. Next week there is a Christmas concert in which my three darlings will all play a role. The eldest in the choir (he's one of only two boys that signed up this year - he is surrounded by chicks and he loves it) and the two little ones singing in French in get this - their PJs! It's next Wednesday and they wanted me to wash and set aside their PJs tonight. I told them I thought we might have a little bit of time! I found out that the older twin (by three minutes) has been selected to "conduct" a portion of one of the French songs. Since my son named her Little Miss Bossy ages ago - none of us are surprised. She was belting out the French songs all night long.

Christmas is in full swing over here. . . whether we are ready for it or not!

• Timbuktu
    edited December 2013

Sounds truly wonderful HH but I'm tired just reading about it!  lol

There's a reason why children are born to the young,

So much joy!

• HHCats
    edited December 2013

Just came from seeing my family doctor. He and I went through my last couple of months and we talked for a while about my particular "stats". He is a very wise older man and he summed it up for me like this - it's time to start thinking a bit more positively because there is lots of good news. When I think about it - he's right and what other choice do I really have? Being worried and down is just getting in the way of a good time. Now that I realize that this might be cyclical - at least knowing that there is a peak after a valley might be a good place to start.

The kiddos went off happily to purchase their special presents. . . I've already heard how they are going under the tree and not being opened until Christmas! We'll see . . .

Hugs

Robin

• honeybair
    honeybair Member Posts: 234
    edited December 2013

Robin, so enjoyed hearing about the joy of experiencing Christmas activities and excitement with your children. These are such precious times...especially for you. Too soon the years will follow..too soon they'll slip away. You sound much happier and I am glad that you are able to enjoy and treasure each day. I think this disease does change our perspective on life in a positive way. At least it has for me.

• julieho
    julieho Member Posts: 164
    edited December 2013

Hi everyone,

Got back from my trip to Brazil to visit my beautiful baby grandson Oliver. He is now 10 weeks old and such a doll. He just beams when I hold him and is such a darling. Here is a picture of him sleeping on my chest.

My trip was really good, I stay very distracted when I am with him and my step-granddaughter who is 8. Coming home was good, I missed my husband and five dogs and they missed me. Here is a picture of four of the five lying on top of me in my bed when I got home yesterday.

Had a bit of a meltdown today though. These can so surprise me. I was doing really well the last 10 days and I know the 14 hour plane flight exhausted me, etc but this morning I was just sobbing and feeling so frightened of having the cancer come back and feeling that I don't have it in me to do chemo or anything else again. Not sure where this comes from but it was there full bloom this morning. I am doing a bit better now, decided I would come here and catch up with all of you.

Robin, I can not tell you how much joy I get reading your post about all the activities you do with your children and family. Your energy is incredible and most of all the joy you bring in telling us all about the daily routines and activities, especially around the holidays that the children are engaged in shows us that regardless of whether or not we "act the same" as we used to, taking on the world and everything full steam, our love is as powerful, if not more so than ever. Your post a a reminder for me of that.

Honeybair, I couldn't agree more, this disease does change our perspective on life and in many way it is positive in that the smallest of moments, watching a chickadee at the feeder on a cold blustery day, can be something I take special note of.

Timbuktu, I hope you get answers on why you are bleeding from your uterus. I tend to agree that it is likely better than your urinary tract. I also am holding you in my thoughts and prayers as I know you are going through some difficult times with your husband and trying hard to sort it through.

Wintersocks, I love that your sixteen year old wants a stocking. I have to confess that I was still doing stockings for my kids even last year and my oldest is 33, 31, 28, 26 and 19. I think this year I will only do stockings for the two boys who will be home for the holiday, my 26 and 19 year old. All of my kids are coming home the second week of January, including my grandson and daughter and husband back from Brazil. I can't wait to have us all together...whenever that happens it is a holiday for me.

Rabbit and Janet - your post feed my soul. Thank you for still coming on this board every so often.

Cfdr - I just found out one of the oncologist at my cancer center died of lung cancer. A wonderful, caring doctor. This disease really sucks. And it is hard not to think of mets or how deadly this disease is when that happens. Just one day at a time for now.

Everyone else that I may have missed, I am so very grateful to have all of you here and to know there is a place that it is completely safe for me to share my ups and my downs and all of you will just listen, share back and be there for eachother.

It is good to be home.

Much love,

Julieho

• Timbuktu
    edited December 2013

WHAT a gorgeous baby!  Congratulations and I'm in awe that you took that trip by yourself.  You are one brave and strong woman.  And so thoughtful, to think of everyone else.  Of course you're having a meltdown!  You had to leave that baby and your daughter in another hemisphere.  You have to be exhausted.  It's a lot to deal with, emotionally.  And I think sometimes all of the various and sundry fears and anxieties and fatigue falls right back on the fear of recurrence.  Sleep.  Rest.  Get into your routine and find diversion.  As you said the kids didn't let you melt down.  Find what makes you feel good and happy in the moment and do it.  I'm willing to bet in a week or so you'll feel like a new person.

I'm not bleeding anymore!  My husband is sweet and kind again!  This is life, I guess.  I can't figure it out but I have to try to enjoy the moment.  The dr seemed to think it was nothing but still says that she has to recommend a d & C.  Not looking forward to that.

Especially since the bleeding stopped, it seems possibly unnecessary?  Denial?

I just want to limit my stress for the week end so I'm going to try not to think about it.

Monday is another ultrasound, I'll think of what to do when I get done with that.

Thanks Julie for sharing those great photos.  You are amazing!

• raynaj
    raynaj Member Posts: 24
    edited December 2013

Julieho: What an incredibly gorgeous baby. Just perfect. That had to be wonderful for your soul, holding that precious baby in your arms. Oh, I wish I could. And your dogs are wonderful, what a great feeling of having them that close to you and laying with you. Our pets can bring us such comfort. I have a Rottie girl who is 9 and has a bad leg that I have to give pains meds for but she is just the most gentle dog, I love her to death and will be so upset when it comes time to put her down. I also have a 8 year old cat and just got a baby grey girl kitten, she was the runt of the litter and very tiny but I felt something was wrong with her, I was thinking her heart. My son and husband took her for her first shots and I was right, she has a heart murmur and the vet didn't even bother to vaccinate her yet. Said wait and see, he is giving her a 50 - 50% chance that she will live okay with it or she will die. I sure hope she will turn out to be our Xmas miracle and be fine. It would hurt my son so much and me too. They become so much a part of the family.

Timbuktu: That is great news that your bleeding stopped, I hope all continues to go well for you.

Hope everyone is doing okay with their emotions and enjoying the beginning of the holiday season. Knowing that 2014 has to be a better year.

Love, Rayna

• cfdr
    cfdr Member Posts: 308
    edited December 2013

What a beautiful baby! I am sure you must be missing him already.

Timbuktu, so glad to hear things are going well this week. You deserve a break!

Nobody ever told me there was an age limit on stockings! They are my favorite part of Christmas. Well, after the cookies. I have stockings for my husband, his daughters and their partners, and this year our first stocking for our granddaughter. My husband will be getting them gift cards as their main presents, but I've filled all the stockings with candy, travel-size toiletries, fancy little soaps, nice pens and pencils, fun chopsticks, little flashlights, etc. If it's small and not too expensive I will buy it. My stocking is always hanging empty but everyone else's is filled with fun junk.

• julieho
    edited December 2013

cfdr - I agree with the no age limits on stockings although it is ridiculously expensive for me to fill them with little toiletries and the same things you mentioned because I have five kids (adults) and now partners so my husband and I cringe at the check out when we do our stocking shopping because to fill 7 or 8 stockings it usually comes to around $500.

But, it is still the stuff I enjoy the most for some reason. Just finding those fun little things to put in the stockings.

Timbuktu - I can not tell you how glad I am to hear you are feeling better, that right now things are okay with you and your husband and things are on a more even plain. This is just life is right. I have been married 34 years and lived with him 36 and there are times where we really seem to not even like one another and then there are times I can not imagine my life without him. Live in the moment - and right now the moment is good. Smile

• Timbuktu
    edited December 2013

Thanks Julie.  The wisdom of a long married woman!  It's been 44 years for us!

• HHCats
    edited December 2013

Julie - your grandson is beautiful! And your dogs are amazing!

Well here I am and I am very bah humbug right now. I wanted to decorate our tree last night but no one else did. So that started it. Then this morning, my husband decided it was time to decorate it and promptly proceeded to knock the entire tree over. All 10ft of it! It is the stuff memories are made of, right? It is now finally upright and decorated but I am refusing to allow them to put my most special balls on it in case it topples again. My eldest daughter (by three minutes, she'll be sure to tell you) had put her special gift for her twin under the tree and it got soaked. So she and I had to do emergency repairs quickly. Her twin just now told me that she "sort of" saw what the gift is because the paper and tag ripped - HOWEVER, she has now promptly forgotten what it is! Good Girl.

We've had quite the snowstorm here. We have in my neck of the woods at least a foot of snow. My kids went out to our backyard and built snow forts. The girls named theirs Alphadelphia (why? who knows!). I took the twins to the grocery store today and it was just overwhelming - everyone was out because they didn't get out yesterday. And shopping with my girls is usually fun but not today. I was in tears by the time we got home.

My husband gave me a pep talk after the tears saying we need to be enjoying the kids and Christmas - we are healthy, have a beautiful family and are so blessed. I'm not sure I really wanted to hear that to be honest. This holiday is very stressful me and not in the usual way. I am so desperate for it to be a good Christmas that everything is getting to me. I'm putting so much pressure on myself and the holiday and I don't know how to stop. I just baked cookies because I thought I had to. I didn't enjoy one minute of it.

Tomorrow I am supposed to go and get my hair cut and coloured and then work out. I am almost ready to cancel all of it and stay in bed.

Like I said - bah humbug!

• Purl51
    Purl51 Member Posts: 174
    edited December 2013

Julieho - welcome home.  I read this thread on my outlook email at work, but had to log directly into the website in order to see your grandson and pups pictures.  So beautiful all!

• julieho
    edited December 2013

HHCats - I just wanted to reach out and say that I always love your post. Up or down you write such vivid details of your days with your family I can "see it" unfold as I read them. And a toppled tree is something most of us have experienced - at least it wasn't fully decorated…that is always my fear as we have some fragile decorations that we have had for many, many years and I would hate to see them broken.

So, my little two cents of advice for you is I would go get your hair cut and colored tomorrow - if you are anything like me that always makes me feel better, although I really HATE the length of my hair right now post-chemo. But, that is another story. I digress.

So, get your hair done because, I think that is something you can do for yourself, then if you FEEL like it go work out, if you don't forget about it. We all spend time at the holidays with the "should do" list, and it is a hard thing to break, especially when you have young kids at home still. I was an over the top holiday Mom with my five kids, did huge Xmas dinners for 30 every year, made ten different types of cookies for friends and neighbors and even mailed three tins every year to my Mom's neighbors in the building I grew up in NYC. I did this for 16 years after my Mom died because "she always did it". I shopped like crazy, we already talked about the stocking stuff and all the rest. A couple of years ago, before I had cancer we had our first Xmas where several of my kids couldn't come home at the holiday. I did a reduced amount of everything that year but still shipped off cookies to NYC, stockings and gifts to my kids away from home, etc. On the actual Xmas day that year we opened a small amount of gifts with my two sons (ages 25 and 17 at the time), and then we went out for chinese food and a movie. Growing up in NYC this was what most of my close friends did on Xmas as they weren't Christians. Well, let me tell you, that is our new tradition. Last year we did the same and this year my kids are all coming back in mid-January so the two that are home and my husband and I will get some chinese food and go to a movie. As for the 10 different kinds of cookies that I mailed for 16 years to my Mom's neighbors - well, cancer did take care of that last year - actually, chemo did. I just couldn't do it, December was my last month of chemo and I was spent. And now I am free of that too. I may make some cookies for when my family comes home, or not but, I am not mailing them off to NYC anymore and my Mom's friends are very okay with that.

You are not where I am in your life yet, you still have the young kids and Xmas is still a "big deal" but, things change and it is okay to start to let go slowly of your expectations to have it all be great for them, for you and for your husband. Trees falling over, gifts being unwrapped and seen and cookies made without really having fun are just all a part of the stuff that makes up holidays, luckily there are also nights cuddled up with a book under the Xmas lights and the glee on the kids faces as they run towards the tree Christmas morning.

Treat yourself tomorrow to a day of allowing yourself to feel your feelings, good or bad, just feel them without judgement, cut and color your hair and work out or not. You are loved and you are loving and that is really all you, or your family needs.

• Rabbit43
    Rabbit43 Member Posts: 121
    edited December 2013

Beautiful, beautiful post, Julieho. You are just great!

• HHCats
    edited December 2013

Julie - thank you so much for your beautiful post. I am pretty much over the Christmas tree incident. Needless to say, no one will ever forget this Christmas now. It's funny you mentioned reading in your post. We had a crazy post-hockey dinner with the kids. They were so wound up. We bagged showers for all of them and told them to just get into PJs. My husband asked me to read with the twins while he cleaned up the kitchen. The older of the two bailed on us after one book - but the younger one snuggled up with me and we read an entire chapter book. It was so nice (she's the calm child) - just us snuggled into my bed with Ivy and Bean (a cute little series about two little friends who get into all these sorts of "adventures"). After that my husband and I watched Duck Dynasty's Christmas episode and then a Modern Family. So the night finished on a good note. I am going to get my hair done and I think I will work out, too. I am meeting my best friend for coffee at 2. She was such a huge help to us this past year and now her family has hit a rough patch - her husband (a lymphoma survivor) was a VP of a company and he just lost his job. So I'm going to check up on her.

You are right about the "shoulds". We are hosting my husband's family here on Christmas Day - there will be 23-24 of us. These are only siblings (he's the youngest of 6) and their families. I've done this for years (not last year because of chemo) and it will be fine so I need to remember this.

Last night I woke up at 2:15 and thought about a lot of the stuff that keeps you awake at night. If you know what I mean. Finally, Hobbes got off my feet and curled up next to me. It was like old chemo times - he was my constant companion then. I find such comfort in my big burly cat.

Have a good day to everyone.

Hugs

Robin

• cfdr
    cfdr Member Posts: 308
    edited December 2013

I tallied up my receipts and all the stocking stuffers for 6 stockings topped $200. It does add up!

We are having our Christmas celebration this coming Saturday; my husband's daughters are going to the mountains with their Mom the next day through Christmas. So we will have a very quiet Christmas day. My husband is Jewish (and neither of us religious in any way) so he is not the slightest bit sentimental about Christmas. I suggested the chinese food and a movie routine, as many of my New York Jewish friends also had that as their Christmas tradition. He did not but if there's a Chinese restaurant open that day we might do it. Otherwise I will make duck l'orange for just the two of us.

This morning I thought of the phrase "live each day as if it were your last" which I always thought was a stupid phrase, because if I did so, when would I ever do the laundry or prepare my taxes? But I realize that I'm living this December as if it were my last. Not that I expect it to be, but I really want to have family be my #1 focus for a month.

I'm reading a book called "The Highly Sensitive Person", and there was a passage that I thought interesting regardless of how sensitive you are. She talks about how there is a short and long term physical response to stress. The long term response is to raise the body's level of cortisol. But if your cortisol level is raised, then you are more likely to have short-term stress responses: e.g., racing heart, sweaty palms, etc. Interesting also that the author, in her introduction, says that part of her inspiration for researching sensitivity was that she had an illness that took her a very long time to recover from (she does not name the illness). I wonder if that is what has happened to a lot of us...the stress of diagnosis and treatment raises our cortisol levels so that we become so much more susceptible to anxiety, depression, fatigue, and it becomes more difficult for our bodies to fend off infection, auto-immune attacks, etc. Reading that reinforced my decision to kick back this month and just enjoy myself and not feel guilty about it. Maybe I can lower my cortisol level so that when work kicks back after the New Year, I'll be able to handle it without mini-breakdowns and exhaustion.

• HHCats
    edited December 2013

It seems like everyone is very busy with holiday preparations.  It's sort of exciting, isn't it?  I can barely remember this time last year which is a shame.  We've had a busy week here - the kids have Christmas Fever BAD!  Today was the school Christmas concert.  My twins got to dress in their PJs (because the song they sang was about waiting for Santa) and they sang two songs in French.  Petit Papa Noel and We Wish You a Merry Christmas.  My son is in the school choir.  He is one of two boys in it.  We have no clue why he likes it so much but he does.  All his friends have long bailed on choir.  They sang a lot of songs.  One was Christmas is the Time of Love (I think) and it was all about everyone rushing around shopping and doing stuff when we really just need to be together.  Since I was rushing around just before the concert - I felt it was the universe sending me a message!  Tomorrow is the last day of school - early dismissal.  My house was cleaned today (a perk left over from chemo) but it is really a Christmas disaster.  Boxes and rolls of wrapping paper everywhere.  Decorations - some up and some not.  I just found a bag of the new Christmas tablecloths I bought a few weeks ago.  The kids are busy "making" us presents and wrapping them with mountains of paper and rolls and rolls of tape (they went to Montessori preschool where for some reason they got hooked on tape!).  So you walk around with tape on your socks most of the time.  No one can actually find you a roll of tape when you need it though!  I baked cookies yesterday and made up some tins and boxes for some treasured friends.  I also ran to the mall yesterday despite more snow here and finished up "presents".  Today it was gift cards.  I am now working on the Christmas grocery shopping list.  I am making the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy and then we have to fill in whatever wasn't offered to be made.  

Today when I was commenting on how this is my husband's family coming, the house is a mess and I'm not sure how we will ever get this all ready for Christmas - my husband walked by and said Hakuna Matata, Robin.  Hakuna Matata!  I just looked at him and said "I don't even really know what that means."  He just smiled and said "Neither do I but it worked for the Warthog in the movie - so I'm going with it!"  I honestly must admit - I love this man!  

So remember the warthog when you feel get bogged down by the holidays!  

Hugs

Robin

• Timbuktu
    edited December 2013

Thanks for making me smile!