Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Why was I stronger DURING treatment than I am now?

Comments

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited June 2014

Are you on statins?  They are known to cause muscle aches. And check your other meds for se's. 

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited June 2014

No to statins.  I take synthroid and a trazadone at bedtime to help me sleep.  I know my thyroid is off and we have been trying to get it properly adjusted since Jan.  I see the thyroid doc July to see if the adjustment is working. I feel like I have a toothache from the waist down....

• mt4ever
    mt4ever Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2014

I am a little over two years out myself and I feel the same way.  I go in for a recheck (esp the radiation doc), they do a quick little breast exam, explain away they few pains/concerns I have and I am out the door.  No blood work either.  Now my regular PCP does my normal blood work but not sure that is what is needed.  Most of the time I am okay but a lot of times I come away from my visits feeling a little apprehensive.  I kind of feel like they cross their fingers and roll the dice!  Which is sad!!  I do know that they cannot check for every little thing but sometimes I wish they would do a little more!! 

Cheers to everyone around my timeline and to the new ladies unfortunately having to go through this.  We just stick together!

• hopefortomorrow
    hopefortomorrow Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2014

I am three years out now, in October it will be four years that I was diagnosed. I take Anastrazole ? I don't have the bottle near- and have terrible pain in my legs. I was on tamoxifen and they switched it, but I think it is worse. I had a bone density scan and I have been put on a once a week calcium pill for Osteopenia, and I am going for a scan of my lower legs now because of the pain. I wondered why I never was given a PET scan, but lately I read for breast cancer they don't normally do them, there are alot of false positives.

• cfdr
    cfdr Member Posts: 308
    edited June 2014

I'm on letrozole and started having joint/bone pain after about a year. I found two things that help a lot: tai chi, and tart cherries. I eat unsweetened tart cherries or drink the juice 2x/day, and do tai chi once or twice a week (will hopefully move towards doing it more frequently once I can remember the moves without watching the more experienced practitioners around me).

• Redheaded1
    edited June 2014

hopefor tomorrow:  What kind of Calcium is once a week?  I have osteopenia too  I take a extended release kind every day that spares me from popping them twice, but that sounds pretty cool.

I got a massage today and she worked on my legs and back andI feel a little better. I hope for a good weekend, then I will try my lst pill on Monday.  I have increased my walking to promote bone building (weight bearing exercises) Maybe my body was just trying to scream NOOOOOOOOOOO!  Needless to say I heard(felt) it.

• hopefortomorrow
    hopefortomorrow Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2014

Ack! Redhead1, it is good that you asked me. I am taking VIT d2 1.25 I decided to look it up, and I am not liking what I am reading. I need to look into this more closely for myself. The weird thing is my regular MD prescribed it, not my Onc. She just told me to take vitamin d. hmmmmmm

Good for you with the massage and walking! I think massage helps me somewhat. My daughter has agreed to go with me to water aerobics.

On a sidenote, yesterday I read that one of my Dec 2010 chemo sisters has passed. So bummed and sad. :-( ( and feeling a little hypochondriac-ish!!!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited June 2014

My MO specified Vit D3, 600 mg daily. 

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited June 2014

vit D3 is the one we need........not D2

• Redheaded1
    edited June 2014

I for one am amazed at the things they can tell us from our blood,  Yes we need D3--but we also need calcium as well---at least with Osteopenia--I am past the point of where my body will store calcium, hence I take Citracal  Slow Release 1200 with D and in addition, because my d3 is so low  the have me taking 4000 units on top of that.  Personally, I 'd just like to try the once a year infusion for my bones, , but I guess my bones have to get worse before someone will let me try it.  I also was tested and found I was low on B12, so that's another one I am taking, in addition to a multivitamin.

• cfdr
    edited June 2014

Redheaded, when you tested low for B12, did they do follow-up tests to see if you have intrinsic factor? Intrinsic factor is necessary for absorbing B12 from food. I have to do injections and sublinguals, regular supplements don't do it for me.

• Redheaded1
    edited June 2014

cfdr-no, I don't think they did.  Is that another blood test?  Its very frustrating because my D3 has been low for years, and I will get it where she wants it, then she backs my dose down, and I get below again.

Now the B12 is starting to do the same thing.  I did B12 shots probably 10 years ago, its been fine, now its low, but coming back up with the supplement.

• cfdr
    edited June 2014

It's possible they would have tested them all at the same time, but for me, they did a second test, which tested for intrinsic factor antibodies and MMA (some info on them here). If it's coming back with oral supplements, though, you are probably OK...if it was pernicious anemia the oral supplements wouldn't help unless they were sublingual and/or megadoses.

• Redheaded1
    edited June 2014

Not sublingual , but 4000 daily of the d3 and 1000 daily of the b12.

• wintersocks
    wintersocks Member Posts: 434
    edited June 2014

Hello girls,

Feeling mighty stressed.

1. Friend been dx with cervical cancer (a very close friend)

2. Have an exam coming up if I don't pass I will feel like a failure.

3. My ex's sister is in hospital pneumonia as a result of radiation following her bc dx (need to visit)

4. Moving house

5. Both son's worrying me one way and another

6. Hospital appt on Weds. 

When I feel like this i try to put it all in to perspective, but i really struggle.  Then I think too much about my own bc dx and that it might come back.. I am feeling very very anxious. 

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited June 2014

Jeez that is a LOT to handle........but please don´t expect yourself to do it all at the same time....you need to look out for and make space and time for yourself too.  i am daring to comment against each item in hope you hear it as supportive.....

1. Friend been dx with cervical cancer (a very close friend) - that is a c**p shoot........but it may well be caught in time and if so can be treated and you will be a great emotional ally so will help her just by meeting her places others won´t know where to go (ie how a cancer diagnosis impacts our psyche)

2. Have an exam coming up if I don't pass I will feel like a failure. - rubbish with all thats going on if you fail it will be due to that, not that you are a failure, if you were at school still you would get a note for special consideration!

3. My ex's sister is in hospital pneumonia as a result of radiation following her bc dx (need to visit) - send flowers or perfume or something good and only visit when you have the resources to, you can phone and do other things to show support but support yourself please. 

4. Moving house - S T R E S S 

5. Both son's worrying me one way and another - do you have any friends or family members who now them to talk this through with?

6. Hospital appt on Weds. - lets hope all goes well, I recently had a bone scan for possible bone mets, but it was fine........

Feeling anxious with the list above seems normal and healthy to me, give yourself a hug for having such a lousy load of stress going on at the same time.  I feel anything I write will be inadequate but I feel for you.  I seem to have managed to find a tougher skin recently but not sure how or if it will last.......HUGS for you xxx

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited June 2014

Big hugs wintersocks  (()).  Do you remember the Last time you felt overwhelmed like this?  Things worked there way out & will this time & the next as well.  Don't dwell, one day at a time.  Things will get better. If one day is too long do it hour by hour.  This too shall pass.  We come so far!  We are strong, YOU are strong.  Pocket party needed,  Shout out to all to join in!  I'm taking the window seat, for the duration!  We all have days like this, go ahead & vent, cry , scream,  we "get it".  You are normal.

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700
    edited June 2014

wow, that IS a lot winter. 

• Purl51
    Purl51 Member Posts: 174
    edited June 2014

Wintersocks:  Thinking about you during your appt. today and hoping you are being extra gentle with yourself right now with all the changes and challenges.

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418
    edited June 2014

Winter, how are you? Is your appts. Done ? Hang in there, & let us know...

Jeanne, are you happy with your tattoos ? 

Happy Wed. To all....

• julieho
    julieho Member Posts: 164
    edited June 2014

Wintersocks hope you are feeling less stressed. Sending you love and light.

Julieho

• Redheaded1
    edited June 2014

Wintersocks---(love your name),  Where in the UK are you if you don't mind my asking?  I'm riding shotgun in your pocket....   Are you a knitter?  Its tough, but, hey, nothing is tougher than the disease we have fought--and look what all you have been thru---YOU ARE A TOUGH CANCER WARRIOR---A SUPER HERO, YOU HAVE INVINCIBLE STRENGTH AND POWERS.

You've already done the first thing I do--list whats bugging you.  Then I write down what I feel about it and then what I would like to see happen and by the time I am done, I've emptied it out of me and put it on paper and that I then throw away.

I also  lean hard on my faith when I am stressed--I'm like the lily of the field. Or the sparrow  -I tell myself I will do what I can, when I can, and it will all be alright no matter what, because God will provide a way.      ((HUG FROM A YANK)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2014

You sound a lot like me. A strong woman that can get through anything and then it hits you.

You faced death in the face, had a heavy load (nobody could help with your kids? what was your husband doing?), and your world was rocked.

I agree with the others. You are showing classic signs of depression and may have PTSD from your experience. It's okay to be angry and depressed. Try to find a counselor that will validate your feelings. Very often, those around us, do not. They think once you finish treatment, you don't need help, it's over, and everyone walks away. I think the hardest part is after treatment ends and you are trying to find 'the new normal'.

Get mad, get those feelings that were buried or suppressed because you were trying to be brave, out there.

XOX -- puppy kisses from my dog and ((( ))) from me.

• wintersocks
    wintersocks Member Posts: 434
    edited June 2014

Hey Girls,

How wonderful to log on here and see your names and all the thoughts for me. It's so lovely and I thank you all and hope everyone is good too. I will have a look back when I have a bit more time.

Redheaded1, thank you too for your thoughts. I am in West Yorkshire in Britain, although I lived in London for a long time.  IIInois, is Chicargo right? - I don't know much about it at all. I know New York as I was there a few years ago. 

Ws xx 

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited June 2014

Redheaded1 - I love your suggestion of writing things down - and then writing down what you would like to see happen. I'm going to try that. A friend a mine also suggested I write a letter of what I what to happen in a year - and seal it - and leave it with her to be opened twelve months from now. I like that idea too - but I don't know how capable I am of the follow through these days, so I chickened out. I was anticipating her opening the letter, and the disappointment that nothing had changed. The same friend also said that when I make decisions I should 'let go of the outcome'. I'm working towards getting to that place.

How are you doing Winter? How did your appointment go? From you list, your level of stress and struggling are certainly understandable. Moving alone will throw most people over the edge! I wish I could come and help you pack. Then we could go out for a glass of wine and talk about the rest.

• Redheaded1
    edited June 2014

Rabbit--Before you had the BIG C--were you the Strong woman who kicked cancer?  I wasn't, and I don't know where that strong gal came from inside me, just grateful to know she's lurking in me somewhere!  Maybe she just took a vacation since the worse is behind us?????  I think mine went for a smoke and never came back, LOL.  Anyone who has a hubby and five children is phenomenal in my book.  You are lucky to have so much life around you. 

I think what your describing is  probably normal, but if it  continues, does your cancer center have a counselor you could visit with?  Or do they have a support group? I am a big fan of counselors---you get to spill to a stranger and their only "truth" is the one you share with them.  Its amazaing how well you feel after 60 minutes.  The fact that its bothering you is reason enough to speak to someone to help you sort thru your feelings.   

Did you already have menopause?  Or just Chemopause?  Could it be that what was suppressed with your Chemo is getting kick started back up???? Don't know how the SE of Tamoxifen works, but know its hormone altering instead of hormone killing (Arimidex).  you know, with what we've been through, if we didn't crash during it, we will crash afterwards---when we feel we now finally have 'time" that we can let go of the tension and fear that was holding us together.....It will catch up with us one way or another.  I got done with active treatment May 21st.  From diagnosis to then, I think I can count the times I cried on less than 10 fingers.  But once my Rads were over, in that 2 weeks, I let loose of a lot of emotion---anger, rage,  fear, tears,  etc. Not sure if living alone was good or bad---good in the sense I didn't drive my family away and they didn't have to watch my meltdowns, but still---sometimes you need a shoulder or a ear, if you know what I mean.

You have  a great support network here, too---so stay in touch and let us know your outcome.  I have confidence that strong lady will pop out again before you know it.

• Redheaded1
    edited June 2014

Janet---write it down!  I had a high school history teacher (my 40th class reunion is next year) who had us all write down for him where we wouild be when we were 25. (we were 16).  When I was about 45, he was working part time as a Bailiff in he court system where I was the Circuit Clerk.  He brought mine in to my office and read it to me.  It was hysterical---I was not teaching kindergarten and I was not married with 2 kids. (EVER).

• Katarina
    Katarina Member Posts: 99
    edited June 2014

All of you are not alone. 

Check out the recent study (April 2014 Journal "Cancer) by the University of Michigan cancer ctr with the results of a study showing the long-term quality of life effects of chemo treatment (4 years and greater) on early stage bc patients.  More than 50% of women with early stage bc who had chemo were out of work 4 years later (for those who had been employed). The statistics are more interesting on how many more were unable to get back to a normal life due to related problems (recurrence, co-morbidities, etc) developed post dx and likely from treatment. 

I read it and felt better about my situation. So will you. I know it's not comforting to know others are suffering but it will at least allow you to feel more genuine and normal about it all.

Hugs

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700
    edited June 2014

i did just barely skim that,too, & should go back and read the whole thing. not surprised at all.

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263
    edited June 2014

Thank you, Katarina.  It really does help.  Like you said, it's not like we want to see anyone else suffer, but it is so comforting to know I'm not the only one.  I can't tell you how bad my docs all make me feel by acting like they've never seen that before, or saying things like "You'll be back to normal in no time!"......  Uh, no.