Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Oligometastatic Prognosis

Options

Comments

• thrivingmama
    thrivingmama Member Posts: 133
    edited August 2018
    Options

thank you for sharing your stories! Great to hear. continue being well!

• Sparkles2_2
    Sparkles2_2 Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2018
    Options

I was diagnosed oligo back nov 10 ‘17 with 1 single bone met to t5 Er+ Her2-. My MO has been approaching this with curative intent. I did 6 months of chemo surgery and now am on to radiation and will have a gamma knife to the one spot. My rO has said that there has been healing to the solitary met so i am hopeful. My MO has also started me on femera And ibranc

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,805
    edited August 2018
    Options

Good to see this thread active again. I just passed the 7 year mark with a single met to my upper femur. I never had any chemo but did have rads to the femur. I have been on Arimidex and then Femara. The problem with oligometastases, in my view is two fold. The first is that the medical community is not in agreement over whether such a state of disease actually exists. The second problem, and the most important one IMO, is treatment is all over the board and there seems to be no way to predict which approach will be successful for a given individual. For instance, I’ve never had chemo nor progression and am 7 years out. Others have hit it hard (everything but the kitchen sink), but not well. Or, vice a versa.

I wish everyone the best

• Sparkles2_2
    Sparkles2_2 Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2018
    Options

It’s hard to say who will stay oligo and who won’t as each cancer s different. My MO has put me in a genome mapping trial for targeted therapy so I am hopeful

• LaurenH
    LaurenH Member Posts: 382
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hi - I'm in this club too. I had a single rib bone met discovered back in January this year. I had 15 radiation treatments (much more than normal due to the oglio piece, as I had no pain there at all). I started on ibrance and faslodex + Herceptin as I Ann Her2+. In July my follow up Pet showed NED amd my tumor markers are normal. So I've not been on the oglio train 🚂 for very long but I’m hoping for a very long ride.

Wishing all of you well!

🤗 Lauren

• Utopria
    Utopria Member Posts: 182
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi all - I'm recently diagnosed oligo with a single bone met to L1 spine. I have a single radiation treatment setup to zap the disease ie curative intent. Going to MD Andereon for treatment. I've been put on ibrance and faslodex. Fingers crossed. God willing I'll come out NED on the other side 🙏🙏

Wish all you ladies best of luck!!

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi Utopria. Welcome to the club. Best of luck on the radiation and hope it all goes well for you!

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited November 2018
    Options

Very, very hopeful for you, Utopria!

• Utopria
    edited November 2018
    Options

Thankyou Bless58 and Heidihill..you ladies inspire me and give me hope

• LaurenH
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi Utopia - we are very similar! I was dx in Feb 2018 with a single bone met to 1 rib. I had 26 radiation treatments (curative intent as well) and am on Faslodex and Ibrance —- plus Herceptin as I am also Her2+. MD Andersen is the hub for Oglio-research so it’s exciting that you are being treated there!

I hope we are all LIVING proof that Oglio has is indeed curable!!

• Utopria
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hello Lauren! So glad that you are doing great, and hope we can ride the oglio train a long long time. We are indeed v similar!

Yes MD is big into research on oglio I think. I signed up for 2 different studies..one for an extra MRI during simulation of rad treatment and the other called EXTEND, where they will track my progress over four years and draw conclusions on progression free survival.

Praying that EXTEND is exactly that!

• LaurenH
    edited November 2018
    Options

Utopia - EXTEND indeed! Thank you for participating in trials that will help to better understand our disease. I have done a few myself and I am grateful for everyone who does!

PS - I had a typo... I had 16 radiation treatments, not 26

• Utopria
    edited February 2019
    Options

hello ladies - hope all are doing well.. just wanted to check in and report that my recent scan after single SRBT treatment to my spine has got me to NED status. Hoping I stay NED for a long long time. 🙏. Thank you ladies for your help, guidance and support!

Love to all

Priya

• Chemokaze
    Chemokaze Member Posts: 177
    edited February 2019
    Options

High Fives, Utopia! Cheers!

• LaurenH
    edited February 2019
    Options

Wonderful news, Priya! So happy for you!

Love to all,

Lauren

• heidihill
    edited February 2019
    Options

Great news, Priya!

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,745
    edited February 2019
    Options

MD Anderson had a story out a couple of years ago that in their practice they were curing about 25% of oligo metastatic patients, they obviously do radiation and systemic treatments with curative intent, and that number will just go upwards.

• Chemokaze
    edited February 2019
    Options

Wow!

• LaurenH
    edited February 2019
    Options

Cure-ious - this is fantastic! Thanks for sharing that!

• B-A-P
    B-A-P Member Posts: 409
    edited February 2019
    Options

awesome Priya!

Just wondering , my onc says I am oligometastatic. I had one 5 mm met to my liver that no longer lights up on Pet (woohoo), and no cancer lighting up in the breast. Only a 7mm node in my arm pit was the last thing left (down from 1.6cm) , and that was after 4/6 rounds of FEC. Would radiotherapy be useful in this situation or does the fact that the spot doesn’t light up say that it’s dead and no point ? I’m thinking they won’t do local therapy there because It’sbin a tough spot. My understanding of Oligometastasis is that it controlled by LRT. I know I’m getting a mx soon (which is not typical ) , and my chart says “curative intent” Pretty stoked on part of it :

• Almosthere
    Almosthere Member Posts: 177
    edited February 2019
    Options

B-A-P having your mastectomy and axillary node dissection would remove that spot. You would be all clear. You still have two rounds of FEC left, fter that and followed by surgery you should be in great shape!

• heidihill
    edited February 2019
    Options

BAP, no lymph nodes lit up for me after 5/6 chemo cycles. They did surgery (mastectomy and axillary node dissection) after chemo and found micromets in 2 nodes. Radiation followed despite that or because of that, who knows? Similar story with my spinal met, nothing lighting up then 28 zaps locally but no surgery. Protocols may be different these days for oligomets and individual protocols (considering you had liver mets, for example) as this was 11 years ago. Second opinions are always good for gathering info and for peace of mind. Good luck!

• B-A-P
    edited February 2019
    Options

bstein,

I’m actually done chemo !! Woohoo!! Haven’t had a scan yet. I wonder if they will scan again or just wait until after surgery. But I’m pretty happy with my progress so far .

Heidi-yes, of course it’s all different now. My understanding is that the Pet scanner is super new and super sensitive so I hope that’s on my side. They were going to do RFA on the liver met but it was in the caudate love and they said it would be too hard and risky to get. If chemo took care of it, would rads to the area be considered extra insurance I wonder , or redundant . I know a woman who’s is 9 years out from a single liver met. Chemo killed it and it hasn't changed. She’s on herceptin though so I wonder if that’s helping.

• hiljflan
    hiljflan Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi Guys, I loved reading these posts, I've just finished sbrt on three spots on my spine last week. Radiation oncologist was going to do the same on a 1cm spot on my liver but a pet scan in December showed no activity after chemotherapy. They treated me aggressively with 4 acs, 12 taxol, a mastectomy and chest and lymph node radiation also. So threw the kitchen sink at it really and started tamoxifen in November after mastectomy. He will do it if it reappears. I just wondered if anyone had a liver met disappear after chemotherapy and stay away for some time?

• B-A-P
    edited February 2019
    Options

hiljflan

Not sure. Mine was 5mm and chemo killed it. I asked my onc yesterday if it was dead or just inactive and she said they consider it the same thing. My thinking is that if it’s gone , it probably won’t reappear the same way. Maybe as a new met. I’m not sure. Other ladies may know better but that’s my impression.

• hiljflan
    hiljflan Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2019
    Options

B-A-P

Thanks so much for the reply! Here's hoping it stays gone for a while. Just diagnosed de novo in April last year also and its all a big learning curve!

• B-A-P
    edited February 2019
    Options

hiljflan

Absolutely. I am de novo too. Dx in August at 30 .

Still learning too! Hoping for the Best to stay NED for a long time :)

• Ag23
    Ag23 Member Posts: 28
    edited March 2019
    Options

I needed to read this tonight. Thank you

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    edited June 2019
    Options

Just thought I'd bump this thread. This month, June 1 actually, I am 4 yrs. out from diagnosis with oligo bone mets. Still living my best life and hope you all are, too.

• Chemokaze
    edited June 2019
    Options

Yay Bliss! I’m now 1 year out from MBC diagnosis! 3 years out from second primary breast cancer diagnosis The first breast cancer was in 1996.