Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Follow my Brava and Fat Grafting Day by Day

Options

Comments

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited June 2014
    Options

peacestrength - depends on how much fat you have, and remember they cant use all the fat removed, and you have two to do not one! Can you see photos? 

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited June 2014
    Options

Lily - I don't have a huge amount of fat but enough in my "saddle bags" I suppose for 2 small breasts.  These were intial consults, the next ones, I'll ask to see pictures.  You're correct about them not being able to use all the fat - he told me that a percentage of it dies off in the transfer.  That's scary to me because could it all just liquify in the process?  And I'm out all my fat?

My mom asked if she could be a fat donor - that sounds gross and high rejection rate but is that a possibility?  

Gosh, I really hoped to get around  TE and implants - we'll see.  I'm just gathering info about this and in no hurry to proceed.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited June 2014
    Options

Peacestrength,

You can get a fat or flap transfer from a donor -- but only from an identical twin. My surgeons in Charleston were first to do  it several years ago and in People magazine. 

• Dnice
    Dnice Member Posts: 156
    edited June 2014
    Options

hi all... I am scheduled to meet Dr Ahn in NYC in September. The wait seems interminable!! I am also looking into the Brava method which she does use if wanted. She has great reviews. Her website is nycbreastreconstructioncenter. Not sure if any of you are close enough to the city but second opinions(and 3rd,4th...) seem helpful. PS's seem to give out contradictory info!!! Wish everyone well. I may keep posting about my experience if it helps those who follow. 

• Dnice
    edited June 2014
    Options

peacestrength,  I'm sure you are familiar with the miamibreastcenter website. I just looked at pictures of a woman who has gone back to a "D" cup after bmx.... With the Brava method. Just wondering why there would be any limitations for you? You were smart to think through all your options. I wasn't aware of the brava method until recently. I had TE's and now have implants. I need fat grafting for a great deal of rippling. I did not have rads recently but had mantle radiation as a young adult for lymphoma. Hoping someone can still help me. Take care.

• raelan
    raelan Member Posts: 84
    edited June 2014
    Options

PinkHeart - Your comment about getting a donor flap or fat from an identical twin caught my attention.  You see, I have an identical twin and have been curious about whether or not she could be a donor if I run out of fat (I'm currently going through the TE/implant process, but used fat grafting before my TE's were placed to help repair some of the radiation damage on one side).  I may need some additional fat post implant exchange.

You said this was covered in People magazine.  Do you happen to know the edition date?  Also, was Dr. Kline the PS who performed the donor surgery?  

• PinkHeart
    edited June 2014
    Options

Raelen,

Wow, so amazing you have identical twin after I posted this. 

I will post link to article when I get on my laptop later. 

It actually was Dr Kline partner of their practice, Center for Natural Breast Reconstruction, Dr Craigie, who did the twins surgery with Dr Allen, the pioneer of free flap surgery. All three work together in Charleston. Dr Allen works more from his NYC office these days. 

I see you are from WA. Dr Kline has a patient from there who I met in Charleston when we had surgeries during same time. 

I also had severe radiation damage which Dr Kline has fat grafted to painful and damaged areas for repair.  

• PinkHeart
    edited June 2014
    Options

Raelin,

Here is the link to the People magazine article.  I believe Dr. Allen had performed the first twin to twin fat transfer in 2001.  This article is about his third surgery doing so in 2006.

http://www.diepflap.com/article-0060.html 

• hopeful24
    hopeful24 Member Posts: 117
    edited June 2014
    Options

Remember, fat grafting takes multiple procedures over a long period of time.I have gained weight before each surgery and kept from exeercising too much so they have fat. How big you get in fat grafting depend on how many surgeries you are willing to have and your ability to gain weight in between.

I started average (about 140, 5'4", size 4/6). I have stayed off the scale and will get back on after last graft in sept. whatever that number is, that's what I will strive to stay at. You don't want to lose fat just put in.

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited June 2014
    Options

Anyone know if the BRAVA machine can be purchased at a discounted price?  

• Amazonwarrior
    Amazonwarrior Member Posts: 140
    edited June 2014
    Options

Has anyone tried Brava after a mastectomy and radiation?

How did it work out for you?

Are there any Canadians here who tried this?

• Dnice
    edited June 2014
    Options

Amazonwarrior,  if you go back to earlier posts, there are women who have used Brava and fat grafting after BMX and some who have had RADS I believe. Not sure where you are located in Canada but they are using this method in Seattle,Washington at the center for reconstructive surgery. I am researching this for myself. I met with two PS 's so far. I have another consult with Dr. Ahn in NYC in Sept. I plan to post during experience so others may find it helpful. I have had BMX  and now have implants. I did not have rads with this DX but had mantle rads for lymphoma as young adult. Hope that helps. Take care.

• kareenie
    kareenie Member Posts: 97
    edited June 2014
    Options

Peacestrength Brava is discounted when you buy thru doctor.

Raelan Dr Khouri also did a twin transfer for young lady with congenital asymmetry.  It is on his website.

• Lily55
    edited June 2014
    Options

Amazon Warrior - yes I used BRAVA and have to say it did help with post transfer pain and clearly made more space......I did not use it for all the hours recommended though I did less as reasoned that pain and inflammation pre op is not a good idea.....and have not used it afterwards on advice of my PS.....but will be using it before next surgery

• hopeful24
    edited July 2014
    Options

I agree that it is good advice not to use BRAVA after surgery. Dr. Khouri recommends it, but every time I did I had pain, infection and even a huge hemotoma. Also, I found the handpumping less painful and less expensive than the "turbo," with the same filling out results before surgery. 

I've heard nothing but good things about Dr. Ahn.

• Dnice
    edited July 2014
    Options

thanks hopeful24.  Hoping a woman PS gets this. Feeling discouraged. Anybody else drinking more wine than usual ? Just sayin... This is hard.....

• Ladybird-dancer
    Ladybird-dancer Member Posts: 119
    edited July 2014
    Options

Dnice - this really IS hard.  You're right.  Look at me, I'm still faffing about here in the UK trying to decide what to do, whether to go to the States, trying to find out how much it would cost and where's the best place to go.

I thought Dr Khouri would be best as he invented the system and yet there seem to be several mentions that he and/or his clinic is not very kind/helpful.

Still can't work out how long it would take to implant enough fat for an A cup, how many times fat would have to be transferred, how long I would have to stay in the town I chose to go to?  Also, why is some fat no good?  That's a new one to me......

My daughter offered to give some fat and she was told it's not possible, so I can understand that identical twins might be able to help each other.

Best wishes all.

• Dnice
    edited July 2014
    Options

Ladybird-dancer,  yes it is such a process! I think because there is no PS standard protocol and the reconstruction methods are evolving. I called Dr khouri's office for a recommendation/PS in Boston. They said no, sorry. I am scheduled to consult with Dr Christina Ahn in NYC Sept 2nd. She uses BRAVA method as well. I would be happy to let you know how it goes. 

I am also going to Dr Austen in Boston. He does not use Brava method (yet) but is well respected surgeon.

As far as I know, everyone's situation is unique so it's probably difficult to predict how many fat transfers would be needed. I think some fat cells die during harvesting so not all can be used. Believe it or not I'm finding all of this interesting! Best to everyone!

• Lily55
    edited July 2014
    Options

Lady-bird Dancer - no one can give you proper answers until they have seen you and your body.......why not visit one in Europe for a first assessment and then go from there.  I assure you that you get used to standing naked in front of a plastic surgeon while he looks for fatty bits!!!!  I hate looking at myself and still cant have a bath but am now ok standing naked in front of male PS......

• Dnice
    edited July 2014
    Options

Lily55. You are brave soul. I feel humiliated every consultation! 

• hopeful24
    edited July 2014
    Options

Re: Brava purchase - Do your homework. Call BRAVA directly for a price first. I found that a few doctors were marking it up. I found no one that was discounting it. 

You can get a deal on eBay for the Sports box and accessories. I actually just sold mine on eBay. I would gamble with the domes, however, They are against your skin and sweat. Buy those new from BRAVA. 

I believe my total for the original sports box and domes from BRAVA direct was just under $1000. 

• hopeful24
    edited July 2014
    Options

Agree totally with Lily. I think you have done enough research, now it's time to stand in front of some doctors and see what they have to say.

I don't know of anyone who had less than 4 fat grafts. I'm finishing up with 6. 

Yes, Dr. Khouri does not refer anyone. I got the same thing and ended up going down to him because I didn't have a choice (for two surgeries). Keep in mind that he invented BRAVA, he owns the rights (and profits) to it and he will not recommend anything else to anyone. If you end up going to him, that will be a choice, but first make sure you see a few people who offer a variety of options and see what they say is best. 

• PinkHeart
    edited July 2014
    Options

I believe there is a web site that lists all the BRAVA docs. I will check later from my laptop. 

• Dnice
    edited July 2014
    Options

Yes there is a list of Brava docs online. Just type those words and it comes up. 

• EileenKaye1
    EileenKaye1 Member Posts: 166
    edited July 2014
    Options

Out of curiosity I tried the brava website.  My doctor-probably the most experienced with brava in the New York area-is not listed.  I wonder why.  Eileen

• Dnice
    edited July 2014
    Options

Eileen. Yes I was wondering same thing. This list is not comprehensive. Maybe it hasn't been updated? .. Or there is a certain criteria to be included?.... 

• EileenKaye1
    edited July 2014
    Options

Dnice-I always prefer a personnel recommendation. Found Dr. Ahn from this website.  Brava was quite a chore, but my results are amazing. Thank you-fellow forum members.

So pleased with the lipo results as well.

I also have questions about secondary insurance-never know-may be needed in the future.

On another thread someone recommended aflac-but online reviews are negative.  Please comment. Thanks, Eileen

• Dnice
    edited July 2014
    Options

Yes Eileen. I realized how helpful personal recommendations can be. It was your posts that made me call Dr Ahn in NYC. Thank you for sharing with those of us who are not as far along. I got the best feeling from her office already. 

• EileenKaye1
    edited July 2014
    Options

Dnice-so glad I have been able to help you.  Dr. Ahn will do all that is possible for you. If you have other issues PM  to me, and I will give you my personal E-mail address.  So hoping all goes well for you. Eileen

• Dnice
    edited July 2014
    Options

Eileen.  I do not have any experience with Aflac but I will ask around. Are you interested in subscribing for secondary coverage for breast reconstruction related issues?  By law in CT all BR must be covered by primary insurance. I'm not certain about other states.