Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I look for other flat chested women. A rant.

Options

Comments

• SanFranKitty
    SanFranKitty Member Posts: 81
    Options

This was interesting to read. I went with reconstruction. But I think woman should be able to do whatever they please. Flat, partially flat, foobs or whatever, and society should accept us the way we are, and for whatever choice we decide to make.

• kathindc
    kathindc Member Posts: 1,667
    Options

I second that Wren

• MT1
    MT1 Member Posts: 223
    Options

I appreciate the kind words about the article.

Who knew the shape of chests were so different. I have a bit of a 'keel' sticking outward in the middle of my chest. When I had breasts, my cleavage was pretty widespread. Now I know why. Sometimes, I evaluate (on the sly) women's chests and try to imagine if their chests have keels or are concave. In my ignorant mind, I think perhaps concave chests give that ski slope look to breasts.

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    Options

I always thought all the cleavage ones were wearing wonderbras Loopy

• Longtermsurvivor
    Longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 738
    Options

Video story:

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    Options

Great video! I'm grateful to my BS (female) who took my word that I didn't want reconstruction at face value and never insisted I even talk to a PS. BTW the women had great tattoos.

• jkbrca2
    jkbrca2 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Longtermsurvivor, thank you for that video! I think both women look so feminine. Their beauty really shines through when they each smile.
  • glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831
    Options

Great video!! Thanks for posting it.

• kathindc
    Options

Love the video. What I really like is the message we are more than our breasts.

• feelingfeline
    Options

ThumbsUp

• Jul1970
    Jul1970 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hi MT1! I'm 46, married without kids, and live in a Georgia mountain town. Since recovering from my July 2016 bilateral mastectomy, I run around flat chested everywhere without a care. I know half the people in this town and they are used to seeing me flat one day and foobs the next. The only slightly negative thing that has happened - I'm tall and slender, and when I'm flat, people tend to gossip that I look like I've lost weight. Weird how some people can't notice the foobs are missing, lol!

I don't mind educating people about breast cancer, breast forms and my decision to not have reconstruction.

While I am comfortable being flat, I am not comfortable with my mastectomy scars. My chest looks like it was attacked by the Texas Chainsaw Massacre guy. I won't let my husband see my naked chest. I wear breast forms when going out on date nights or with lingerie for those romantic nights. My husband is happy with the forms, or without. He's said from the beginning that he's a leg man, not a breast man, so if I don't want reconstruction, that's fine with him.

I do not want reconstruction. I would need two surgeries; expanders and implants. I'd likely need a third surgery to correct and refine. I'm not doing it. I'm happy the way things are.

I'd love to attend a Flat Festival. :)

• JBeans
    JBeans Member Posts: 265
    Options

Thank-you for the video post.

• Wicked
    Wicked Member Posts: 27
    Options

Wren44, I also have a female BS who understands that I don't want reconstruction, but do want tattoos! I will probably be joining the flat and fabulous ranks in November.

Jul1970, interesting about people not being able to tell what is going on with being flat. I am also fairly slender and if anyone says anything about me losing weight, I'm going to tell them that I just had a couple things I had to get off my chest.

• Jennie93
    Jennie93 Member Posts: 263
    Options

Wicked - HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Good one, love it!

• glennie19
    Options

Wicked: LOVED that comment!! Excellent !!

Jul1970: A FLAT festival! Love the idea!

• OncoWarrior
    OncoWarrior Member Posts: 3,326
    Options

I think this applies for those of us who lost breasts, too.

Nerdy

• MT1
    Options

@jul1970 Thanks for writing to me, and us, here. I pray you embrace the beauty of your naked body and share this with your good man. Being vulnerable is a beauty all its own.

• glennie19
    Options

Onco,, that was awesome. Thanks for posting that pic.

• Longtermsurvivor
    Options

Onco, here's one of my wounded hero inspirations. I've met him and he's as personable as he seems.

It's so refreshing to me to see people come through life altering events with transformed senses of self and service.

Best, Stephanie

• magiclight
    magiclight Member Posts: 6,656
    Options

Longtermsurviv: Thanks for sharing the TED talk - a story of hope, joy and human connections.

• OncoWarrior
    OncoWarrior Member Posts: 3,326
    Options

Thank you Longtermsurvivor. I hope he has some influence on palliative care beyond California before I need it here!

• MT1
    Options
    I can't quite figure out how to link, but this is my latest post.

http://melanietesta.com/2016/10/breast-cancer-and-taco-shots/#comment-7094
  • Jedrik
    Jedrik Member Posts: 12
    Options

Great fotos of beautiful women. It would be such a shame to hide those bodies.

And they do make me more comfortable to flaunt my own flatness and cancer history over here in germany.

• kathindc
    Options

As always Melanie, you are spot on

• Wicked
    Wicked Member Posts: 27
    Options

I'm looking forward to joining this amazing sisterhood on 11/15/16! Solidarity with you ladies is one perk of BMX with no recon.

• Longtermsurvivor
    Options

Since January 1991, I've lived flat since BM for cancer in both breasts - no prostheses or hiding. Even photographed nude for magazines and art shows, because back then flat was radical. Audre Lorde had written about it and Matuschka's bare-chested post-mastectomy photos were shocking the world. But images were scarce.

Now I'm 60 and don't feel exceptional, just ordinary.

Glad flat chested is now a movement and an accepted way of life for some.

Glad times changed!

BM with reconstruction still seems typical these days, even if cancer is found only on one side.

BPM with reconstruction is also more common as high-risk women are more easily identified.

Yet many choose to live without the usual female signifiers - breasts.

Grateful for my choices and my life and for loving my looks!

much love & gratitude, Stephanie

• tsoebbin
    tsoebbin Member Posts: 199
    Options

Thank you for paving the way Stephanie.💞

• woodstock99
    woodstock99 Member Posts: 80
    Options

thank you!

• feelingfeline
    Options

Best wishes for your health and healing Wicked.

• glennie19
    Options

Great blog post and awesome pics, Mel!!