Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I look for other flat chested women. A rant.

Options

Comments

• Tina337
    Tina337 Member Posts: 516
    Options

Bak, thank you. The WearEase is on my list of garments to try, as others have also recommended. How does the sizing run on that garment? I am fairly small but wear a larger compression tank than my usual clothing. The sizing of them can run so small. Since it's a mastectomy line, perhaps the sizing is more true?

• dusterella
    dusterella Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi Wrongchick...that would be awesome if it's not too big of a hassle. I may be able to find that book at our local bookstore; it's a massive place and has almost everything!

Where on the West Coast are you located? I'm in Portland and would definitely be interested in meeting up with other "flatties" in the area!

• anastasia31
    anastasia31 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi Having Faith,

I am just up the hill from you.   I am a soon-to-be half-flat-chested.  I have an appointment with my surgeon on Thursday.  I am flat chested anyway so I can't imagine it is going to make much of a difference.  It is amazing to me how some of the women I have talked to are incredulous that I am not considering implants.  I am up for a flat chest convention in California.  Where did you go for your surgery?  I am headed to UCSF.  Best of luck to you in your recovery.

• alexandria58
    alexandria58 Member Posts: 202
    Options

For everyone interested in Flat Fest 2012 iin New York - I created a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FlatFest2012.  Not much there now, but please put your suggestions for venue etc. up. 

• RozieP
    RozieP Member Posts: 3
    Options

I just had a bilateral mastectomy April 12th.  So far I'm not planning on reconstruction.  I like the freedom of not having to put on a bra and that everything fits so much nicer!  So cudos to you! 

• alexandria58
    Options

Hi everyone interested in coming to Flat Fest 2012.  I put up a facebook page - although there's not much on it yet, but if you're interested please sign up so I can get contact information.  I'm willing to do the organizing, but I need to get a ball park of how many might be attending.

Go to Facebook and search for Flat Fest 2012.  Somehow the link I put up isn't working.

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    Options

RozieP, You will find wonderfully supportive ladies in this discussion group...all walks of life, all choosing to not reconstruct. Why needs more surgery after cancer??

I am happy flat, I am happy wearing small memory foam or microbead breasts...it is all working out well enough for me.

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    Options

I'm so glad I found this thread.  Not sure if I'm facing uni or bi-lateral mx yet, but if it's uni I don't want to reconstruct.  Bi is scarier to me at this point, but your attitudes are an inspiration.

I've always been relatively flat, late developer, never had more than small A cup.   When I had the elastic wrapping after my CNB flattening both, I thought it actually looked kinda good.  I was wondering if I can wear some sort of flattening bra on the remaining breast and look pretty much symmetrical. 

• coraleliz
    coraleliz Member Posts: 158
    Options

Ann-I thought the same thing. I had bilateral BC. The tumor on the right was thought to be larger than it really was. The surgeon didn't think a lumpectomy would work in that breast. I would be too disfigured. The tumor in my left breast, it was thought could be treated with a lumpectomy.  I'm a runner & so is my breast surgeon. If I had a lumpectomy on one side & MX on the other, I didn't think anyone would notice. I was small (A-B) & those sports bras were very flattening. My surgeon thought it would be noticable & started telling me about "forms". I went the BMX route. Deciding treatments is hard. Wishing you the best.

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    Options

Just checking back in after a couple weeks "on vacation" in VT. Usually such a healing place for me, not as much this year. Thought I would get the strength and attitude back that I usually do there, but fatigue and pain just wouldn't let me get past it as well as I have in the past. Oh, well... next year....

I had been having much more chest/incision pain, worse when I get over-tired, just want to slouch shoulders, curl up, hug myself to get relief. So I tried a little experiment using snug bras + silicon boobs to see if the compression would give me some relief. Don't really know if it was that or the pain pill, LOL, but something helped!

I have been going completely flat (except for last night) for the past 6 weeks, and seem to be getting less self-conscious. But the swim suit thing is still a bit of a problem - I didn't have much to start with (A- cup!) but now I seem to actually have a slight concavity that makes me look REALLY FLAT in my swim suit. I am OK with that in our own pool, but feel self-conscious if others are around, so I have been wearing a cover-up and just sitting by the pool - how did some of you get to the next step in self-acceptance???

I live in TN, and wonder if there are some of you near the midwest, heartland, or south that would like to do Flat Fest nearer home than NYC? I would love to do the trip to NYC in Sept. if I am up to it, but the trip to VT has left me totally wiped out for days! (Will I EVER get my strength & stamina back????).

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    Options

Linda I got over it slowly now there is no holding me back.Go to beach resorts and cruises all the time, just wear regular tankini suits.No longer self conscious when I walk the beach.Give yourself time.((hugs))

• Linda-n3
    Options

Mumito, thanks so much for the encouragement! You look fabulous!

• lilylady
    lilylady Member Posts: 478
    Options

I have been a "flattie" for almost a year now. never considered recon. I so enjoy the freedom from bras in our humid Ohio weather. Clothing styles that work for us have been abundant the last couple of years also. My sister even pointed out that the mannequins at JC Penney have no breasts.

I recently returned from a Fla vac where I sunbathed topless at the home we stayed in-there were 5 other women there-my best friends for 45 years. They were somewhat shocked at how odd it looks-I always say I look like ET or an adolescent boy. They also couldn't believe how long my scars were. I am pretty sure none of them will skip their mammograms ever again. I don;t think I will ever get used to looking at myself but I wear what I want and stick my flat chest out and rock it.

• dawnnadine
    dawnnadine Member Posts: 2
    Options

Count me in on the Flat Chested Fest- bi-lateral mastectomy, NO reconstruction- thank you very much- in January 2012...flat chested and proud to be so...if others don't like it, don't look.

Where and when are we gathering?  Maybe we can get a group going thru the Wanderlust Festivals...

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    Options

I need to say this every day when I walk "Stick my flat chest out and rock it". I love that!!!!!!!

• BonoboGirrl
    BonoboGirrl Member Posts: 104
    Options

No recon here. Had a bilateral mastectomy in Dec. 2011.  :) 

• BonoboGirrl
    Options

Alexandria, I can't find the Facebook page. Searched Flat Fest 2012 and it returned 0 results. 

• Sian65
    Sian65 Member Posts: 38
    Options

Feeling a bit envious of you guys with a BMX (who would have ever thiought that Tongue out.... I'm a uniboob; just began rads today so no bra for at least the next 8 weeks... I often don't wear a bra anyway (like before all this cancer stuff) but a few days ago I felt a bit self-concious for the first time and found myself busily scratching my right ear with my left hand (left MX) as I walked down the street. mmmmm I wonder why now - had the MX in February; probably with summer I am not able to hid behind a coat.  So not as self-assured as I thought I was ... sob!

My onc keeps asking me about recon - I think he harps on a bit about it cause Im youngish and single.  I told hom i dont want anything foreign in my body; he said can use your own body bits; I replied I don't want any (more) scars for cosmetic reasons.  If he asks me again I'm going to ask hiom why he obsesses so much about it and then gentle tell him to shutup!!!

Incidently was lying getting the radiation and found myself crying, crying and channelling my elder sister who died from BC in 1999 ... sometimes it just hits you that if not for this shitty bloody disease I wouldn't be at that place at that time doing that thing. 

Got a bone scan next Monday 'cause my onc is worried about my ribs, spine and left hip.... haven't even finished treatment for the primary yet! Keep calm and carry on. A lousy day - sorry.

• Linda-n3
    Options

Sian65, hugs for you tonight, and a shoulder to cry on.

• TiffanyF4
    TiffanyF4 Member Posts: 104
    Options

Said goodbye to the foobs! Screw it.......... they are too hot and I wear my flat chest as a badge of honor of fighting the good fight!!!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    Options

Sian, sorry for the bad day at rads. I have had a few crying bouts during treatment.

I understand what you mean about being jealous of the flat chicks, lol. My friend is a uniboober like you, and when we were talking about how we manage, it was clearly more of a bother to "even out" the single boob than just deal with no boobs at all.

My shrink friend kept asking me if I wasn't all messed in the head over losing the boobs. I finally told him that he was projecting his own anxiety about potentially losing his balls. He sort of laughed and said I might be on to something.

Like you, in theory I would love to have new "built in" boobs, but I don't want silicone and I do not want to give up any more body parts in order to make boobs. Maybe I will change my mind one day, but for now I really don't see it happening.

• alexandria58
    Options

Ann Marie - How did you search?  Try going onto Facebook first and then search within Facebook for Flat Fest 2012.

• MT1
    MT1 Member Posts: 223
    Options

I had a really good cry about all this last night.

I think my body is really cute. It is fun to look like the nine year old I once was, many of my best childhood memories rest in the 8 to 10 year old period.

The first day I ran across the street and didn't have breasts tugging at me? Awesome. I don't want to wear breast forms, they seem like a chore to me. I want my body, my way. My brain will catch up. I had breasts for a good 30 years, I am used to how I used to look. That look isn't better, it is just how I used to look.

I love the term uniboober. It's similar to unibomber, and it makes me think that there must be sass and talk back involved in the look, a bit of zing. 

Sian- its all OK. Cry it all out.

I spoke with my therapist yesterday and I asked her how I can be compassionate with myself. She asked me what I would say to a friend, "it is all OK, you are OK right now, it is going to get better. You have made independant decisions that work for you and you are learning to embrace them, give yourself some time." 

I can't find Flat Fest 2012 either... 

• Linda-n3
    Options
    MT1, thank you for your self-compassion talk.  I need to use that with myself- it is much easier to be compassionate toward others than toward ourselves.  I have had a rough morning with pain issues, woke up at 3 am, cried from 8-9 am, dragged myself to a Thursday morning study group, felt better.  It is VERY HOT here, so when I got back home, I put on my OLD swim suit that has soft cup bra, regular V-neck/halter tie and cute swim short bottom from Land's End, decided it doesn't look half bad despite the slight depression in the soft cup that isn't filled out with my body any more (OK, so let's be honest - I never truly completely filled it out anyway! LOL).  Headed out to face the heat, drinking iced tea & sending lovingkindness to the world.  Cool 
  • mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    Options
    Linda and Sian there is nothing wrong with a good cry ((hugs))and time will help heal.Enjoy the weekend ladies.Cool
  • alexandria58
    Options

Hi.  Sorry about the problems finding the page.  I think you have to search for Flat Fest 2012 once you're on Facebook.  If you search with Google or other search engines, it's not going to come up.

• BonoboGirrl
    Options

Did both, actually. Searched initially while on Facebook. Zero returns, so checked via Google. I will try again. Thanks. :)

• lostinmo
    lostinmo Member Posts: 332
    Options

Just stopping in. I have surgery coming up soon ( no exact date yet). I don't plan on having recon because the idea of more surgery is depressing. While I wouldn't chose to be flat without good reason, I don't believe it will bother me that much. I've had 4 months while on chemo to think about it. As hot as it is here being flat will have it's advantages. I like the idea of the Flat Fest! 

• alexandria58
    Options

Here the url, but the link doesn't seem to work here.  If you copy and paste into your browser, it should work.

https://www.facebook.com/FlatFest2012 

• Sian65
    Sian65 Member Posts: 38
    Options

Tack till alla! Thanks so much all of you guys.  Day 2 of rads and it was better. Scared witless for the bone scan on Monday though.

Question.... after just 2 days of rads I have got a big swelling of the tendon that runs (little bit diagonally) from my armpit down to the middle of my ribs.  Anybody get the same? Not lympodema right?

We need a Europe FlatFest - Momine are you in?   Who else is sitting in Europe?  I saw someone from France once I recall but did not note her name.