Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

The Hermit Club

Options

Comments

• markat
    markat Member Posts: 502
    Options

CSmommy and Sissydi, I hope you both get some good rest and feel better.

I took the girls shoe shopping, but couldn't find anything they like. The 7yo wants those stupid light up sketchers...but I hate those shoes! Oh well, she's the one that has to wear them. The 8yo wants $70 shoes, UGH.

Have to crawl out of hermit mode tomorrow and go look again at a different store, wah.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    Options

Ok I had a very nice time with my family, had a nice dinner--laughed, got actualy dressed up--with a maxi-dress and little jacket--nice jewelry that matched and my dgtr said my makeup was perfect. So it went nicely--Oh and I found summer shoes that didn't show my toes. LOLAnd I'm glad I went--we had a bad storm before and lots of people lost electricity so I thought it would be cancelled but it wasn't and we didn't lose our Thank God. Joey (my grandson) waited up for me so we talked about my big night out and he told me I look beautiful (8) what does he know.

OK I couldn't wait to get home take my my clothes off and get comfortable--so I can hermitize again--I've done enough this week for me and it's 4"30Am and still awake --everything throws me for a loop.  But I don't sleep well anyway so whatever,

• markat
    Options

Camillegal, so glad you had a good time! Your grandson sounds so sweet.

• camillegal
    Options

Thanks markat now today my body is swolln and sore and soooo tired. And today they'll be companhy coming I already am figuring out how to be polite but be alone---My kids friends so no on will miss me. LOL

• markat
    Options

Camillegal hope you got some rest today and feel better.

Hope you other gals are doing good too. It started storming so my hermitude won out and we didn't go shopping :(

Getting ready for the exchange tomorrow at the crack of dawn! I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep much. I know it's an easy one, but I still hate it. I would probably keep these stupid tissue expanders forever to avoid another surgery...but it's too late.

• Sissydi
    Sissydi Member Posts: 183
    Options

You'll do fine markat! Check in when you can!

• kltb04
    kltb04 Member Posts: 234
    Options

Thinking of you markat!

• camillegal
    Options
    MARKAT------Let us know the minute u'r fingers can touch keys on the comp.----we're here. good luck
  • CSMommy
    CSMommy Member Posts: 58
    Options

Thinking of you markat!!!

• markat
    Options

Thanks everyone! I'm home, drinking coffee, and watching the Olympics, lol. Still a little loopy and sore at the incision site, but good overall. I know a few of you will be going this route with your reconstruction and it's so nice to have soft breasts again.

Thanks again for all the love. Hope you all are having a great day!

• Sissydi
    Options

Yea markat! I sooo look forward to soft boobies again.....tomorrow I go in for my dreaded port cleaning....had my last Taxol today, and now this....I am being a big baby about it.....I just don't like the idea of going up through my femoral artery to do it......yuck :(

• CSMommy
    Options

So happy to hear it went well, markat! Enjoy your recuperation.

Congrats on your last Taxol, Sissydi. What is involved with a port cleaning?

• Sissydi
    Options

They have to go in through the femoral artery in my leg, and follow the aorta up to the tip of the port, and then remove the fibrin sheath from it. I'll be in twilight sleep for that. Not looking forward to this, but doc insists since I still have Herceptin treatments until May. I guess it's better than getting a whole new port put in!

• markat
    Options

Congratulations Sissydi! I've never heard of that kind of port cleaning. I just have mine flushed. Is it to get the residual Taxol out or did you have a problem?

• camillegal
    Options

OK MARKAT--u'r home and healing... YYYAAAAYYYY

Sissy I have never heard anyone have that done--is this something brand new now?

• Sissydi
    Options

No, this is if you get a fibrin sheath that grows around the tip of your port; the bodies way of surrounding a foreign body inside YOUR body, lol............the only other option is to remove it and put in a new one on the other side. So my facilities protocol after trying the clot buster meds, was to go in and clean the tip from the bottom up!

They told me its a quick procedure, I'll be in a twilight sleep, yea! So no, it's not a new procedure, as someone on the boards here had it done in 2008!

• Sissydi
    Options

Markat, they were flushing my port too, and did all the right things, but sometimes this happens with ports....quite common!

• Sissydi
    Options

Here is some info on how this happens:

Central Line Complications

Partial Catheter Occlusion

Causes:

* Common occurrence in long-term catheters secondary to long dwell-time of these catheters.

* Encasement of the catheter by a fibrin sheath. The fibrin sheath may also become seeded with microorganisms which may disseminate into the bloodstream.

*Residue of blood products deposited within some central venous access devices each time blood is aspirated or infused.

*Small clots adhering to the catheter tip.

*Drug precipitation adhering to the wall of the catheter.

Signs and Symptoms:

* Withdrawl occlusion - the inability to withdraw blood from the catheter but are able to infuse fluid. The fibrin sheath or blood/drug precipitates acts as a flap over the tip of the catheter when blood is withdrawn but opens when fluid is injected.

Interventions:

* Do not infuse any product through a central line that does not have a blood return.

*Notify the physician.

* May need chest x-ray for verification of tip placement.

Prevention:

* Strict adherence to the flushing protocol before and after drug infused and after blood drawn.

*With persistent withdrawl occlusion, may need to follow the fibrinolytic agent protocol to lyse the fibrin sheath or cleanse the catheter of residual blood products.

http://www.rncentral.com

• markat
    Options

That makes sense now! I hope the procedure is nice and easy and works!!

• CSMommy
    Options

Sissydi - that is just crazy! Hope it's smooth & painless. Just another way for our bodies to misbehave, huh?

I'm having a rough night tonight. My husband took our son camping, so I have no distractions. I was looking forward to a quiet evening with an early bedtime. Instead, they don't make enough Ativan in the world to slow down my brain tonight. Ugh...I hate nights like this, where I just wallow in self-pity.

• camillegal
    Options

CSMOMMY---I'm sure by now u'r sleeping (I hope) but I know how that is--for some reason staying awake is so simple sometimes, but aggrevating, then the next day u feel like crap.=Like we need that.

• kltb04
    Options

CSMommy - I feel the same way about having the house to myself - like my mom took the kids one day a few weeks ago and I couldn't wait to have some totally alone time.  Then once they were gone, I wanted them home!

Sissy - hope your "roto rooter" procedure goes well.  Sorry, couldn't resist!   I have had a couple of "cloggy/sluggish" times getting my blood drawn from my port but it always eventually works (knock wood).

markat- yay for soft boobies.  ;) 

Had my PS consult and set surgery date yesterday.  October 1st.  But all of it depend on rads, and I am told I won't be referred to an RO until after last chemo (which is next week).  I guess it is just wait and see.

• Sissydi
    Options

My roto-rooter went well! I thought they would go into the femoral artery, but they tried Cath-Flow first, and it worked! So I'm happy now; I was so nervous!

• camillegal
    Options

Good for u sissy. It's done

• kltb04
    Options

Yay Sissy!

Got to get up off my butt and go pack - we are going on a "mini vacay before back to school"  Tomorrow!  And I haven't packed a THING.

• CSMommy
    Options

My boys are gone tonight, too. I think I'm heading to a support group tonight to get my mind off of things.

Gawd, I sound so needy! I swear I'm not usually this bad!

So glad to hear everything went well, Sissydi!

Enjoy your mini vacay, kltb04!

• camillegal
    Options

csmommy that's a good idea it's all right to feel anyway u want.

• CSMommy
    Options

I went to my support group tonight. Sigh....just what I needed. They are such an amazing and inspiring group of women.

But I'm still popping an Ativan tonight!

• markat
    Options

Sissydi, so glad the procedure went well. I was nervous for you!

Kltb, have fun on your vacation! I think we are going to try and do some fun things around town if we can.

CSmommy, I'm glad you went to your support meeting. There aren't any support groups within an hour of me, so I haven't tried that route. It seems like it would be very helpful, especially for us hermits who get annoyed with stupid people!

My neck is really hurting tonight. I'm guessing from surgery? I don't remember this after the BMX, but I think my pain was focused elsewhere.

• CSMommy
    Options

I think that's why I like the support group, markat. We all understand each other. For the most part, everyone supports each other. Except for the one indignant woman who tried to blast me for not being proactive by not ever having a mammogram. Ummm...I was 39 with no history in the family of breast cancer. Ugh. There's always gotta be one,right?

How is your neck tonight?