Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Lago, I've heard your speech before, but I love it every time.

I had the upset tummy today, but wasn't from the AI, I don't think

Those of you who said you had depression surface----was it gradul or sudden and at what point in your AI treatment did it hit you? 

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Redheaded1 I don't remember being depressed on this at all when I started but I think it gradually crept up over the 3 years… year 3 being the worst.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

I had one of those days where you are just in the bottom of the bucket.  My weight had been up 2 lbs at weight watchers and then it was up .8 last week and I was so depressed I couldn't stand it all day.  And finally I looked at it and I thought 2.8 lbs and you are like this....SNAP OUT OF IT.   but I wrote it on the calendar cause it lasted about 2 days.....

Gotta remember every bad day isn't from this.......Lord knows I had a load of them in the years leading up to this......

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Redheaded1 HUGS!!!  I think you need tons of them.  Your weight will go back down.  Just relax and breathe.  More HUGS!

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

Red, I should send you my new Walmart scale....my weight dropped 6 # overnight!  now it goes up and down so I just take an average~~

suggest not buying cheapo scales but maybe...

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,546

I am heading for Walmart to buy that scale as soon as I log out!!!!

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152

I'm heading to Walmart, too!!!   I have been using Myfitnesspal.com for over a year with pretty good results....so far.  MO and PCP were pleased.  They ordered a stress test (never had one) and colonoscopy (had 18) before the end of the year.  I think they are intune with deductibles being reached.  Good guys!

Ohio

• RhodyMMM
    RhodyMMM Member Posts: 278

Hi folks, I haven't been good about posting recently, but I have been reading. I went to my MO two weeks ago and talked about my aches and pains; he told me to take 6 weeks off the Arimidex to see if it helps or not. The first few days I did not notice much but then after about a week I noticed that my hands felt better and I could hold a pen better, and my handwriting was more legible again. My hips still hurt but not nearly like they did before (I know from my bone scan last year that I have some arthritis, no surprise since I have been overweight). My head feels clearer, too. Still having some GI trouble so not sure if that was related or not. He told me to take 6 weeks off and he gave me a script for Aromasin. I am concerned about the length of the break, so I may call him in a few days to see if he wants me to start the Aromasin now since the break does seem to make a difference in my discomfort. I am trying to get regular exercise by rowing 2-3 times a week and walking a few times a week too. I am proud of myself, last Saturday I rowed in the Head of the Ohio Regatta (rowing race). The conditions were terrible; they cancelled 78% of the races, but I DID IT!  I have been using Cardiotrainer on my phone to track my activity, and I like it. Have looked into myfitnesspal but need to spend more time looking at it.

Have a good one everyone!

Martha

• proudtospin

Martha, you did great!  Congrats on finishing the rowing race.  For me, exercise is important to keep the aches under control.  I was home from gym for a week with a cold and so happy to be back into exercise again (I need the control of the gym to keep working out)
    You will get through this!  dang but you will!

• lago

RhodyMMM I took at least a 5 week break from Anastrozole (generic Arimidex) before I started Exemestane (Generic Aromasin). That was in April/May. As far as I know I'm still cancer free and have no reason to believe otherwise.

• ohiofan

Martha, 

I am impressed!!!  I'm terrified of water and can't even imagine rowing in a river!  Good for you!!!

Ohio  (Bonnie)

• pontiacpeggy

Ladies, I just picked up my Rx for the Teva brand of Arimidex.  I won't start them until next Friday.  My question is this:  What time of day and with or without food seems to work best for you and why?  I realize that what works for you may not for me but at least I'll have an idea of where to start. Thank you!

• proudtospin

I did mine in the AM and since I also do vitamins in the morn, I did it after my breakfast...tummy never liked the big old calcium pill unless food in it first so the AL, went along for the ride!

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, Iris!

• lago

Have always taken mine in the morning. I was instructed to do that to avoid sleep issues. Had them anyway though.

• proudtospin

Peggy, your years on the pill will pass quickly, enjoy your life!  Keep stress to a minimum (ok so the BC is stress enough)

• pontiacpeggy

Okay.  Thanks, Lago.

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, A stress-free life?  How I wish.  Haven't had that for 4 years.  BC didn't help but has been shunted to the back burner with everything going on with DH.  Maybe that's been a good thing.  I haven't had time to obsess about - just jog through my various treatments and take care of DH.  Thankfully, I haven't had issues with anything.  Lumpy went fine.  Radiation going well.  Now looking forward to starting Arimidex and making sure the damn thing doesn't come back.

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

I take mine first thing in the morning along with a biotin then after breakfast I take calcium & vit D.  My onco told me to take in the morning to avoid sleep issues, but I too can't sleep very well.  Oh well, better than the alternative! :)  GG

• pontiacpeggy

GG27, you bet it's better than the alternative.  I'm leaning towards taking it before breakfast when I take my other pills.  I don't tolerate calcium so that isn't part of my regimen.  Sounds like the consensus is take in the morning and that does work for me.  Thanks!

• proudtospin

Peggy, I know none of us are without stress but do keep doing things that help with it.  For me that is my gym and somehow, I just feel better when I go and hang out with healthy folks.  I am open there about the dang cancer but also feel it is my form of anti anxiety med.   I have become an addict with my little swimming

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, I can actually DO things while hubby is in rehab but once he is home, I'm homebound unless I hire someone to watch him.  I cannot leave him alone and he isn't always able to go places.  Right now, he's much worse than he was a month ago - 3 weeks in the hospital, in bed, will do that especially to very frail people.  I'm also open about my BC.  I'm glad you've found ways to de-stress.  When DH is home, my computer & internet and books are my refuge.

• ohiofan

Well,  I take my pill at bedtime along with cholesterol and rosacea pills. Had some sleep issues for 2 weeks, but that went away.  I do take calcium and D in the morning.  No more pills!!!  LOL!

• pontiacpeggy

Ohiofan, You're the first who has said bedtime.  Glad it works for you!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,546

Play around with it. Take it whenever it works best for you.

• pontiacpeggy

Ruthbru, That's what I sort of figured.  Just thought I would start with what most ladies found worked for them.

• proudtospin

I work under the theory that if it was important...the MO would have said, since they or mine left it open....I just did what seemed to work at the time.  Not really sure why I chose morn, I do have allergy med that I take at night but that is as it makes me sleepy

• pontiacpeggy

iris, my MO didn't say either.  But then I didn't think to ask.  I see him in about 3 weeks so if I have any questions I'll ask at that time.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I tried both times, night works ok for me.

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, Spookiesmom.