Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

JustMeJanis, I was not implying that your SEs weren't from Arimidex.  I'm sure they are from what you say.  I just wanted to remind others who are starting them, like I am, that not every has issues.  

I did take one suggestion several ladies have made and gotten the Arimidex manufactured by Teva.  Apparently the fillers in it are least likely to cause problems.  

I don't understand how the MOs can not understand that these drugs can cause SEs.  That's unbelievable.  Any drug can cause problems.  

GG27, I'm glad you found the magic combination to avoid SEs.  Thank heavens!

Hugs to all of you!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Peggy I knew you weren't implying that!  :)  I don't want to scare others away from taking the drug.  It is prescribed to help us and it does.  Many don't experience any SE's at all which is fantastic.  For those that do, this is the best place to come and discuss it.  We all have BC in common and it is wonderful to have this board to share our experiences.  I hope you are able to breeze though the therapy with no SE's at all.  That is definitely possible. 

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

I recently ended my 5 years and really did not have SEs, an occasional case of night sweats but only rarely

I agree, do not assume you will have issues, I was fine and truthfully, I have tons of allergies and reactions to dif meds. stay positive as it is a huge defense against the beast!

• pontiacpeggy

JustMeJanis, Thank you.  We do have so much in common with our BC and we're all trying to beat the damn thing out of our bodies.  I'm so glad to have this forum to find answers, suggestions, and be able to safely rant.  

Iris, like you, I have drug allergies coming out the kazooie.  I'm so glad you had no difficulties.  Night sweats seem to be a very small price to pay.  I didn't have much in the way hot flashes when I went through menopause and enjoyed being warm for a change.  Thanks for the positive spin.

I'm in awe of the strength of the ladies here (and the men, too).  Way to go!!!

• proudtospin

Peggy, you strike me as one strong lady!  you will find the years on the med, pass and then you are fine

• pontiacpeggy

Thank you, Iris, I can't tell you how much that means to me.  Thank you.

• proudtospin

I go into an asthma attack over aspirin!  but the AL....all was fine, stay strong and remember to be good to yourself!  when was your last pedicure?  bet you could use one!

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, Yikes!  Asthma from aspirin.  Very scary.  There are lots of people in this world who love pedicures.  I happen to be one who does not (leave my feet alone!).  I AM being good to myself while DH is in rehab and I'm able to get out and about easily.  Going to a breast cancer support group meeting Thursday at my hospital and to a caregivers conference Saturday.  Besides having dinner with a girlfriend.  And the ever necessary therapeutic shopping!

• proudtospin

therapy comes in many ways!  good luck to you

• pontiacpeggy

Yes, it does, Iris.  One of my daughters-in-law would jump at any excuse for pedi.  Take it you would, too.  Hugs!

• proudtospin

my therapy is my gym...and lap swimming, oh my how that clears my head and everything else!

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, going to the gym for longer than a few weeks isn't an option though I wish it were.  Once DH comes home from rehab I will not be able to do much since it is very difficult to get him out and I have no one to care for him.  Gym and swimming are so good for you!

• justmejanis

Peggy how fun to have so many activities scheduled.  It sounds like the best medicine ever.

Iris congrats on finishing up the AI.  Having no SE's from it was wonderful!  I have always felt a positive attitude makes a big difference. Having BC was not really all that traumatic for me for some reason.  I think because I had other things going on that were more challenging.  Perspective is an amazing thing!  Now if I can get the AI situation sorted out I will be back on track.  Curious what my MO wants to try this visit.  I hope my insurance will cover the cost of a different med.  As long as it will I am likely going to switch. 

• pontiacpeggy

JustMeJanis, I thought I was the only one who wasn't traumatized by BC.  I have so much going on with hubby that I've had no time to dwell on it.  Whatever I need to do to kill it, I will.  In fact, sometimes it seems totally unreal that I have BC.  Maybe I'm just weird.  

I hope that you are able to find an AI that is compatible with you.  Have you tried different manufacturers?  You can request that you get your meds only from a certain manufacturer.  Fingers and toes crossed that your MO is helpful and insurance is a non-issue.  HUGS.

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305

I don't know if I've been on anastrazole for a month yet, but so far so good. Knock on wood. I do know I'll put up with a lot since AIs are my only choice now.

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305

here's to a great week for all.

• pontiacpeggy

Dunesleeper, yeah for one month of good results!  You have a good week, too!

• Bullet
    Bullet Member Posts: 3

Arimidex and Tibia bone pain/discomfortfrom Dorrie 47 minutes ago

After 2 years on this drug, almost all of the plaguing symptoms have disappeared - with the exception of an intermittent pain in my left lower leg. At first I noticed it at night while lying down, but most recently it occurs during the day as well. My oncologist immediately stated it was a side effect, reminding me that I have had many MSK problems since beginning treatment. I recently had an MRI of my knee and LLL with negative results - ordered by my primary.

My question/comments are - have you heard of this from others on Arimidex? Could it be from bone de-mineralization?? I must admit, I'm afraid to treat the pain because I'm afraid to mask the symptoms. I truly wish there was more information regarding SE's of this drug - other than the standard descriptions.

Thank you for your time.  

• justmejanis

Peggy you are not weird at all.  BC was easier for me than a lot of other things I was dealing with at the time.  So many people commented to me how strong I was.  I never felt strong necessarily, I simply did what I had to do.  As all of us have done!  I think it is sweet that people think we have some kind of super human emotional and physical strength when we get cancer.  I know for me it was a matter of wanting to get rid of it and doing whatever was necessary to make that happen.  I think that is pretty much the way we all get through it. 

I have never requested a different manufacturer.  I can ask the pharmacy or mention it to my MO when I see him.  It is a thought.  If my MO doesn't switch me then I will pursue that next.  Good idea!  Big hugs your way!

• justmejanis

Dorrie I meant to address your post and hit the submit button too quickly.  I have never heard of the particular SE that you are describing.  Especially since it seems so localized and not in the joint.  I am surprised your MO would call it a SE.  With negative results from the MRI I don't think I would worry too much unless the pain was very severe.  I think only your doctors can answer specific questions regarding things as complex as de-mineralization.  If the pain is steady, constant and serious I would ask docs if any other tests would help to diagnose the problem.  I know when I have pain I often use a heating pad which really is soothing.  You can also try gently massaging the leg and see if that helps.  As far as being a SE, I honestly do not know.  Maybe others here can provide more help with that question.  Good luck to you!

• pontiacpeggy

JustMeJanis, You hit the nail on the head.  I don't feel like superwoman, just a woman muddling through BC, coping with far too many other things that are more demanding and imperative.  Glad I can cope with it all.  Wish I didn't have to.  

If your MO doesn't switch you, definitely as for a different manufacturer.  It might do the trick.  As mentioned, Teva seems to be the most popular manufacturer and one that has fewer filler SEs than others for many people.  Just a thought :)  

HUGS again to you!!

• Marie715
    Marie715 Member Posts: 9

Dorrie,  I'm responding because I, too recently, had pain down the front of my leg.  Not the knee, just on the shin bone.  It was so painful that I would literally lose my breath because it felt as if someone was taking a butane torch and running it up and down my leg. I had been on Arimidex for about 6 months.  My Oncologist said it was not related to any of my cancer treatments.  My xrays of the knee turned out negative also.  I had a hard time getting a follow up with the orthopedic doctor and by that time the pain was subsiding. It's just about all gone now. I think my pain was related to bursitis, which preceded the pain down my leg.  Anyways, just wanted to touch base with you and let you know that I experienced the same pain and in my case, it does not appear to be related to SE of Arimidex or chemo.  Best of luck to you.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,545

I did 5 years of Arimidex with few problems (a little flashy & achy at first, which all settled down after about 6 months). But if you are having significant problems that don't diminish with time, or get worse, and you think they are Arimidex related, DEMAND to be switched to something else. It is your body & your doctor is supposed to be working FOR YOU!! Maybe it won't make any difference, but maybe it will, & you won't know if they don't let you try!

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700

Dorrie,

I too have pain in the tibia of both legs, mostly just the left leg.  It comes and goes.  Very intense, but short enough lived that I haven't even brought it up with my MO.  Interestingly the exact spot on both legs.  It is in the front of the tibia equal distant from the joints and slightly towards the other leg.  Certainly not joint related.  To me that is either AI related or some other systemic problem because of the symmetry. It could also be referred pain from somewhere else related to arthritis.  

• I had very severe knee joint pains that started about 4 weeks after starting the anastrozal and got worse as time went on,,, I was waddling when I got out of bed, and the pain was so bad at night in my calves that I would cry and rub them together, they finally subsided about 6 months of taking it,,, as of now I hardly have any pain unless I sit for a long period of time and they do not bother me at night anymore, thank God. I take melatonin to help me sleep cause that seems to be a problem I have had since before my BC DX,  THERE IS HOPE  with the SE if you give it some time. I was ready to switch but my Oncologist said to give it a little more time and take some vitamins,,, he was right,, at least for me.....

• pontiacpeggy

Good to know, JeanieBeanie1200.  I'll keep that in mind if SEs start cropping up.

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641

Does anyone get acid reflex with this pill.... I take meds daily for GERD and have for years but really haven't had a problem -until the past two weeks - acid reflex is terrible...is it a side effect?

• pontiacpeggy

IamNancy, I'm sure you're already doing this but make sure you aren't laying down after taking your Arimidex.  I take Zantac twice a day - at breakfast and once about an hour or so before I go to bed.  Have you added any other supplement recently?

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641

I really haven't added anything new and no, I never take the meds and lay down - I take the Anastrozole right after dinner..

• pontiacpeggy

IamNancy, well, boo hiss.  Do you find that salads aggravate it?  If I have too much regular coffee + chocolate + wine + salads, I'm sunk.  Three out of 4 generally are okay but salads are always iffy for me.  It certainly would seem that you are taking it the best way to minimize your GERD.