Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700

B123,

Hate back pain!

Have you taken NSAIDs for it? If it doesn't go away in a week, I'd call either your MO or PCP. The PCP can order an x-ray or MRI and prescribe stronger meds. I had something similar and NSAIDs calmed it. My x-ray showed age appropriate degeneration. Nothing else. I am now very careful to avoid the position that triggered the pain (sitting on the floor shaving my doxie). I also now have a new office chair at work. 5 months later, so far so good. Back to all my usual activities.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

B123, are you taking Fosamax or similar drugs? Are you taking anything for the GERD like Zantac? I would avoid Prilosec and Nexium since they can damage your bones according to some studies.

Doxie has the right idea. Talk to your MO or PCP as soon as you can. Don't suffer. HUGS!

• B123
    B123 Member Posts: 239

Dixie and Pontiac Peggy,

I am not on anything for pain or bones. I do not take fosomax, I tried orally but became very sick. I'm afraid to do the fusion?? I have border osteoporosis back and hip. Is it normal for this pain into hips and thighs? Maybe I should change from arimidex? I had a cat scan last year and a dense scan last year which showed no abnormalities except thinning?

Does arimidex cause heartburn/GERD? So frustrated and worried

Thank you ladies!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,542

There are many, many things that could be causing your back pain. My guess that a sudden and extreme pain would NOT be from Arimidex, usually it's SEs are more gradual......get it checked out ASAP.

• B123

ruthbru, it has been gradual but I'm just reached that point now of Enough. Why, are you thinking this could be serious as in bone cancer?!?

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

no, not bone cancer. A herniated disc, disc degeneration at L5- is very common. And can cause pain. I'm living with no disc at L5-S1. It hurt

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

B123 after 3 years on Anastrozole my back, neck and shoulder got so bad it hurt to stand up straight. Took a break and it got better in a matter of days. I'm now on Exemestane. Problem has not returned.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

I hurt my back moving furniture years ago, did physical therapy and such for the pain then broke my dang toe (about 8 times is my guess) and it all meant that I walked funky and had tons of back aches.  It shows on ultrasounds that there is a bone chip at the bottom on my spine....fun.

I got my toe fixed (I was limping and now not limping)

now I do not favor my foot and have a routine given to me by a trainer to keep my muscles stretched and loose and no back aches!  or very few~~
    definitely get it checked out but please do not reach out to think it is bone cancer~~

• pontiacpeggy

B123, The ladies have given you very good advice. Check with your doctor right away. Do not suffer. Fosamax hasn't caused any SEs for me. I take it exactly as prescribed. I have a little osteopenia and the MO definitely wanted me on it to prevent any deterioration. But please check with your doctor, don't suffer needlessly.

• sherryh16
    sherryh16 Member Posts: 95

Took 4th dose of Fosamax Saturday morning.  This time no side effects at all; no back pain and no heartburn.  Guess this old bod has adjusted to this medication too.

Broke down and purchased an inexpensive manual treadmill and began using it last week.  I've never had a weight problem and never exercised prior to BC.  Now with anastrozole my weight is up about 20 pounds.  Using treadmill daily (set up in front of TV) and have gotten up to 60 minutes a day without too much huffing and puffing.  Hopefully the walking will both reduce weight and strengthen bones.  Goal is to lose the weight by my next check up with onc in May.

Happy T-Day to everyone!

• sherryh16
    sherryh16 Member Posts: 95

Oh and a note to those with thin hair like myself.   Just order my new wiglet at voguewigs.com   They are currently 30% off with code BLACK for black Friday sales.  I usually order during this time of year to take advantage of the reduce prices.

• ruthbru

No, I don't think it is bone cancer! It sounds like a disc thing to me. For any unusual pains/symptoms that don't go away after two weeks, or any severe pain right away, get it checked out by your GP. Do not assume it is an Arimidex SE or cancer related. Most things are not.....either way though, the sooner you figure out what is going on, the sooner you can get it sorted out.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

sherry, congrats on your exercise program!  I never did treadmill till after starting the dang AL so know what you mean.

I will tell you that after 5 years on the meds...my density did not change, yahoo!  but I did more weight bearing things and used weights so credit that for preventing the problem

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582

I had disintegrating discs that didn't hurt right after they disintegrated but back and hip pain showed up about six months later - turns out I had bursitis - it can hurt like the devil! Bottom line is go to your doctor!

• lago

Sherry you go girl. When it gets nice you can start doing that walk outside.

• B123

Ok I will call an orthopedist then? I'm sorry, I just panic at any changes/pains. I think I need to get used to life again and know that there is other diagnosis and solutions other then the C word. Thank you ladies! Thank god for you!

Happy thanksgiving..

• pontiacpeggy

I certainly get why you panicked, B123. Very understandable. But probably makes more sense to check out the common causes of your pain before going over the edge (which is always close for all of us). Start with your GP/PCP. That's best. Let him/her determine what needs to be checked out and with whom. Keep us posted! HUGS!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432

B123, I also had excrutiating pain in my hips.  After blaming poor, innocent arimidex for months and months, it turned out I had bursitis.  PT made it go away.  As the others have suggested, start with your primary care. 

As my mother used to say, "Do as I say, not as I do."  I hereby confess that I ignored my pcp's suggestion of PT, and griped loudly to my onc, who ordered a bone scan.  Result?  Arthritis everywhere except the blasted hip. Recommendation:  PT.  In other words, it probably doesn't matter which doc you see, they'll all go through the same process, so you might as well start with your pcp.

• Sinsin
    Sinsin Member Posts: 200

Hi ladies! Just started taking Arimidex a week ago. So far so good. Had some joint pain last night in my knee but I don't know if it's the AI or the menopause. Sigh . . . I go Dec. 9th to have my ovaries and tubes removed. Fun times! Not! Anyone experience appetite suppression? I find I am not hungry much anymore and have to force myself to eat.

• oddducklady
    oddducklady Member Posts: 9

lago- my husband tested negative for both genes (and all the others that were in the panel of 25 or so that they did). I was the one that asked about the testing. I don't think he was aware of it, or maybe he was still in shock (as I was) over the dx. I know at first I felt badly about getting into it as it was added worry for him, It was a huge relief when it was negative.

Sinsin- about appetite-all I know is that my husband's appetite started to increase about 10 days into taking Anastrazole. He says food finally tastes good again. Good luck with your surgery. I hope it feels easy compared to all the other stuff.

I can imagine it will be easy to take every symptom and either think "cancer" or SE's. I know our MO said we need to get used to a 'new normal' whatever that means. Can't say anything feels normal but it is new. Maybe my husband will never get back to the point that he was-he was a runner and an exercise fanatic. It will be a new reality. I know we have a new appreciation for life and each other.

• lago

oddducklady It will take time but he will find his "normal" again. remember we all change every day even if we weren't diagnosed. It will take him some time to recover both physically and mentally. After 2 years I started to worry less about recurrence. 3 years was huge! I'm 4+ now and I just count days till the ESD ends (Estrogen Sucking Drug)

Loopy

• ruthbru

He will get back....it is a process though & definitely takes time.....which is frustrating!!!!!!

• RhodyMMM
    RhodyMMM Member Posts: 278

B123, I wouldn't think your back pain would be from the Arimidex at this point in the game. But since it does cause bone loss, you might have sustained a compression fracture. Those are common in folks with osteopenia/osteoporosis, and can happen without any major trauma. So I would suggest that you get it checked out. Good luck to you!

Martha

• Sinsin
    Sinsin Member Posts: 200

I think we're all adjusting to whatever our "new normal" is but eventually we should get back to the level we once were. I'm told it can take a year to recovery completely from everything we have been through in this battle. Ugh.

• pontiacpeggy

Sinsin, you're almost there! HUGS!

• Blownaway
    Blownaway Member Posts: 662

Lago - I was using the mens both morning and night but since my hair is starting to really thicken up nicely and I'm noticing way too much facial fuzz, I have cut back to night only application.

• lago

I actually use the women's once a day but I am about to switch to men's once a day. Bit more receding on Exemestane but not bad. I still wear my hair in the same style and no one else knows.

• MountainHiker
    MountainHiker Member Posts: 3

I've been taking Arimidex now for 3 years (of 5 total).  I have hot flashes, and achy joints (particularly when I get up from bed in middle of night and in morning).  My bone density is borderline, so MO wants bone density scans every 2 years.  I'm very eager to finish taking it, but I persevere for now to obtain the better prognosis.

• oddducklady
    oddducklady Member Posts: 9

My head knows that time will make things easier, it helps my heart to hear from you brave women ahead of my husband on this road say it really does happen. I mean the decrease in the fear and anxiety. I can't wait till he is a few years down the road on Anastrozole! I do believe it is possible to get back to a previous level for most people and I know it takes time. Reality for him is that he turned 68 during chemo and that before the dx he was feeling great with no health problems and on no meds (except aspirin which he has taken for years as heart problems run in his family). He also physically was probably doing a lot more then many his age-running 5-8 miles or more most days, lifting weights, push up's, etc. He was always very strong. His age has kinda caught up to him with all of this. At least he's been smart enough to not push himself too hard trying to get back into shape. He's always the one our kids have called when then moved and stuff. I think he's OK that those days may be behind him as long as he can do the things he loves to do and really that's what is important.

• grammakathy
    grammakathy Member Posts: 126

Odd - I was in excellent health when I was diagnosed also. I've thought that it was good that I had my cancer now while I'm in this condition and can fight it off. If it had hit ten or twenty years later, I might have had more problems. We can do this, and the loving support of our spouses helps us focus on the positives in our lives