Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

I was on Anastrozole for 3 years and never noticed taste changes.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

purplerose444, sometimes SE's show up a couple months in and may subside after awhile. Is it all foods or only certain ones? If you can tolerate it maybe give another month or so but definitely let your MO know just in case you need to change to something else.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

I have never experienced the bad taste at all.  You can tell by looking at me!  I am not trying to make light of the situation PurpleRose.  I have never heard of that SE in relation to Arimidex.  Please talk to your MO and see if he/she has an idea what might cause that.  Good luck.

Peggy I think it was so sweet of you to take your DH a turkey sandwich.  I am sure that meant a lot to him.  I hope you had a great holiday.  :)

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,542

Purple, did you recently start any other medication? Have you seen your dentist recently? Maybe something is going on there. I never before have heard of taste change as an Arimidex SE.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

JustMeJanis, I *did* have a nice Thanksgiving. However, seemed very strange to not have DH at dinner - first time in 49 years. Now to get ready for BIL who comes in Sunday to help with some legal stuff. (Nice to have another pair of eyes looking at everything).

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Peggy I bet it felt strange not to have DH home.  I remember how hard it was not to be without my kids for holidays the first time.  It felt so different.  This year we are alone again at Christmas.  It is not my favorite holiday anymore.  DH will want to put a few lights in the windows soon, and some of the little knick knacks around the house.  It helps to be festive.  My youngest son is having Christmas at his house again this year.  My ex and his GF always go.  My oldest son can't afford to travel so he will be alone in MN.  We cannot travel either so we will stay here.  We all need to win that lottery, LOL!

Good idea to have BIL help you out with all the legal matters.  It has to be overwhelming at times.  I hope it all goes well.  :)

• pontiacpeggy

JustMeJanis, it was strange, even though DH hasn't been able to help much the last few years, at least he was HERE. Christmas is also challenging. Sons are on the West Coast and can't come home. Haven't had them home in 19 years :( This year I don't feel particularly festive but will put up a few decorations just for BIL.

Yes, let's win that lottery. It would solve several problems (like balancing the checkbook!).

• purplerose444
    purplerose444 Member Posts: 3

It's all foods unfortunately. Thanks everyone who replied. Gonna checkout the dental route.

• pontiacpeggy

PurpleRose, hope you find the answer AND solution!

• aruba
    aruba Member Posts: 276

Hi all, a forever lurker to learn and compare notes. I am chiming in to let Purplerose know that I had a terrible taste in my mouth soon after starting Arimidex. It lasted a few weeks and then disappeared for about 2 years when it reappeared, but this time after taking an antibiotic for uti. Cinnamon candies were a mainstay for awhile. Hope yours gets better and to all thanks for all the info and sharing your experiences!!

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582

Any chance you're incubating a sinus infection - that can certainly ruin your tastebuds. Try lemon drop lozenges they sometimes work if you suck on one just before you eat.

• sherryh16
    sherryh16 Member Posts: 95

Turkey day was better than good.  Guess its true that with age comes maturity?  There may be hope for us after all.  Kids and everyone got along just fine and dinner was delicious.  I ate way too much and was still feeling it the following day.  Going to hit the treadmill to work some of those calories off.  Then I might  begin doing some Christmas decorating.  Have a great weekend!

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Purple rose, as I adjusted to Arimidex (can't type, spent nite in ER with lacerated finger from broken blender jar when doing dishes) I had several little issues that surfaced and went away---insomnia, trigger finger, nausea, hot flashes and ear sensations.  All gone except ear sensations, none lasted more than a couple of 2-3 weeks max.   Now MO says wed I should go off for 2 weeks to see if the ear prob disappears......so I migh try that.

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164

HAPPY POST THANKSGIVING on Dec 1!!!!! So sorry I have been away but have been catching up.

Purple Rose: no taste SEs, just sore ankle bones/joints but glucosamine 2000mg day takes the edge off for joint pain for me; I still have it but not as bad for sure.

Peg: You are in my thoughts. Holidays are hard enough - we have lost so many loved ones and family has split so much we never get together which is very, very sad.

Janis: I get it about decorating....just me and Jim for Christmas and with the loss of Bentley so recent, a little sad around here. Bella is laying next to me as I type this. Hoped Jim would not want a Christmas tree this year but he does.....probably better that we put one up. Last year we got the lights on it but that is all....

Missed you all during my little hiatus! Just had lots going on and was not motivated to go online. So happy you are all here. xoxo

• auroaya
    auroaya Member Posts: 784

I'm usually a "lurker" but I read all of yours posts. After a year and a month of taking Arimidex/Anastrozole my onc today announced that my tumor markers have gone consistently up for the past three lab reports (I get them every three months). So we might be switching to either Aromasin or Faslodex (sp?). I feel fine except for a little hip pain and the fact that the right leg where cancer caused a fracture has not healed well but other than that I feel fine. The doctor is going to try to get Medicaid to approve a PET scan, three months ago they denied it and she ordered a CT scan instead but I really want a PET scan so I know where are those evil cells hiding. Any thoughts appreciated.

Aurora

• Shellies
    Shellies Member Posts: 1

B123... I hear ya!!! I panic at each teensy ache or pain! I'm making myself NUTS!!! I thought it would get better by now... <sigh>

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

auroaya a friend of mine also had that issue and was switched to Aromasin. Seems to be working better for her. I do believe they had her taking something else to boost the effect but not sure what it was.

• Junif
    Junif Member Posts: 49

Hi Ruth--I haven't been on the Boards in a long time, but I have a question about the dexa scan results and maybe someone can answer them--

I just got my results which were: Lumbar Spine 1.17 (2.7-- Z score above standard deviation above age match)(1.1 T score)

femoral neck: .96 (2.3-- Z score-standard deviation above age match) (1.0 T score)

The final diagnosis is that I am osteopenic-- I thought the numbers for osteopenia were negative numbers..............

Can someone shed some light on this?!?!?

Thanks....I am just 2 years into arimidex.

Jill

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

did you ask your doc to explain the results?  your numbers look dif than mine did so think it may be dif facilities

• pontiacpeggy

Junif, are you taking Fosamax or Prolia or something similar? My MO put me on Fosamax right away and I'm osteopenic in my left femoral neck. Forget my numbers off hand.

• tucker3
    tucker3 Member Posts: 6

Redheaded1-sorry to hear about your finger! Hope it heals well for you. I was wondering about your "ear sensations". I have been noticing some "noise" in my ears...thought maybe I was developing Tinnitus or something...never thought about it as being a potential side effect of the Anastrozole. I have been on it for about 8 weeks. Anyone else experience this? Thanks and hugs! Kim

• pontiacpeggy

I've had ringing in my ears for years. Arimidex hasn't made it worse (or better).

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,971

12/12- hi ladies. I have not been here for a bit, but just had a bone density test last week before I go in for my MO apt in January. I had a baseline back in August 2012 when my gyn thought I might be hitting menopause (and right before I got diagnosed and also ended up with a hysterectomy too for another reason). I was just very slightly osteopenic when I began all this, and my next reading in March of 2013 as I was about to start the anastrozole. Now slightly more with the loss of the estrogen with the TAH.

This latest bone density test was recommended by my MO when I saw him earlier this year and prior to the next scheduled visit next month. It represents the change for about a 21 month period since I began the AIs. There is an continued decrease, about 5% annually from the looks of it. My T-scores are now between -1.5 to -1.8. Spine is better than the hips. I do exercise regularly including weight bearing exercise and lifting weights, and take 1500 mg calcium daily and 6000 IU Vitamin D daily. But despite that, the numbers are moving in the wrong direction. The report did not recommend doing any bone building drugs at this time.

Would love any feedback from those of you who are on this same journey and perhaps facing the bone loss situation. I want to make some educated decisions about where we go from here.

• Junif
    Junif Member Posts: 49

I'm not taking any of the bone building drugs...with my numbers all being positive, I don't understand how they could get a diagnosis of osteopenia...I called the imaging center to ask how they could arrive at that when the chart on the bottom of the page indicates that you have to be in the negative numbers for osteopenia. They told me it wasn't their problem and talk to my doctor...still waiting for a call back from her.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,542

Yes, for sure talk to your doctor and let us know what he/she says. ???

For what it's worth, my bone density stayed in the normal range, but was going down every year. Once I was finished with the 5 years and quit, it bounced back up again to close to where it was going in.

• pontiacpeggy

Junif, how confusing. Argh! Good luck getting it sorted out.

Ruth, I'll probably be on AIs for 10 years so I need to hope that Fosamax does its job!

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950

My sister has had some ringing in her ears since she started Tamoxifen. I haven't had anything like that with Arimidex so far.

• Blownaway
    Blownaway Member Posts: 662

we just had a long discussion about tinnitus on the Triple Positive Group board. One of the ladies posted a coupe of articles that explained that chemo drugs cause it.

• Chris13
    Chris13 Member Posts: 112

Sadly tinnitus is related to hearing loss -- the ears compensate by creating their own sounds. Other things can cause tinnitus of course. But it's common as you age. No cures yet but there are work arounds such as white noise systems used when sleeping. The brain does compensate and eventually learns to ignore the sounds to a varying degree. I've had it for years and only notice it sometimes (and it's fairly severe.) Right now it's really loud!

• pontiacpeggy

Chris13, I've had tinnitis for years. A combination of aspirin and life-long allergies. Right this minute it seems to be rather loud. Normally I notice it at night when i go to bed. It's more annoying than anything for me.