Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 254

Thanks PontiacPegg and everyone else for responding and providing information.

Redheaded1,

Are you saying that the Teva brand made your sleep problems more than the brand from India? But the aches and pains are less with Teva?

Mary59G and meljo614,

Who makes your generic Arimidex?

• meljo614
    meljo614 Member Posts: 136

new2bc, I am on the generic manufactured by Teva.  Also, I haven't experienced any aches and pains yet.  Again, only on it three weeks now.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

New2BC, all brands of Arimidex (whether generic or brand name) contain the same medication. It's the fillers that seem to be the problem. And those DO vary between manufacturers. Quite a few of us seem to do better with the Teva just because of the fillers used. I've had no problems so I can't speak to aches and pains and which manufacturer's pills might or might not cause problems. Do go in with a positive attitude. Most of us seem to have few, if any, SEs or they are minor. Many of the women here do have problems, that's why they are posting - to get help and share what has worked for them. Those without SEs don't really need to post since we aren't searching for answers and help.

HUGS!!!

• Terri0202
    Terri0202 Member Posts: 3

My nurse oncologist has me taking at noon. No sleep issues other than the night sweats and dry mouth (wake and drink lots of water) Feel like my hair is thinning, though no one else seems to notice...

• Mary59G
    Mary59G Member Posts: 52

New2bc......I have no idea who makes mine? Where can you see this? I get mine thru the mail.

And PontiacPeggy you should change the to PositivePeggy!!

• pontiacpeggy

New, it should say on the bottle somewhere. And thank you! You really cheered up my evening - I've been in a funk and needed it. Bless you!

• Mary59G

Well I have looked all over the bottle and I don't see anything but maybe its in that super small print, who knows........

Sorry you are having a funky day Peggy, you are way overdue and I'm sure will be back just fine after a good nights sleep.

Take care, keep that chin up!!

• Mary59G

I had a bone density scan before I started taking the Armidex and everything is fine. My question is this??? Should I be taking anything else? I take Calcium and D3, xanax, and lipitor now but thats it. Just wondering, cause the onc. said would do another bone denisty after 2 years.

Thanks for the advice!

Mary

• new2bc

Mary,

My bottles are mail order too. Under Anastrozole there is a line that starts with "Mfg:". That is the manufacturer of the drug.

• cwayman650
    cwayman650 Member Posts: 63

Pontiac Peggy, I love what you said about not looking back, that we made the best decisions with the knowledge we had. Thank you !! I'm going to put that on my mirror.

• pontiacpeggy

Thank you, Mary59G, I do feel better today. Had a downer of a phone call from DH. He called from the nursing home, wanting me to pick him up so he wouldn't have to walk home. I explained that he had to stay there overnight. This has happened before but I think it caught me at a vulnerable moment.

Mary, my MO put me on Fosamax right away. I don't know if it would be appropriate for you or not. You can always ask! I have a touch of osteopenia (which I'd never heard of before) but I think I'm much older than you so it's not unexpected (lordy, I hit 70 this summer!).

Cwayman650, thank you! The thought isn't original to me but it's one I try to live by (not always successfully). We can't change the past so why beat ourselves up? We made decisions that seemed right at the time and most often they are. Where in Michigan are you?

HUGS to everyone!

• cwayman650

I live by brooklyn. Not far from jackson.

• pontiacpeggy

NancyHB lives in Jackson. And Mary59G in Kalamazoo. We think we should do lunch sometime (when the weather is more reliable). Would you be interested?

• cwayman650

I would love to.

• pontiacpeggy

Good, CWayMan650! We'll work it all out. As talkative as we all are on paper, I think we'd better plan a REALLY LONG lunch :) I was thinking that Jackson might be a good place to meet - not too far for me or Mary and obviously convenient for you and Nancy. We'll work on it. HUGS!!

• cwayman650

That sounds great. And you're right, we need to plan on a long long lunch.

• pontiacpeggy

We'll get it planned!

BTW, anyone else in the general area interested in joining us?

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

new2bc---I saw no change in my sleep when I switched from the gneric made in india to the Teva (Israel) brand.  But I saw a marked decrease in all the other side effects.  I would NOT consider switching back from my TEVA brand if my doctor says stay on it, unless I would try the name brand drug.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Redhead my Anastrozole was about $60 3 month before deductible met. Exemastane is like $500 for 3 months. I don't care. No way will I go on Anastrozole. I hear the SE for Femera are the same as Anastrozole. Maybe that's why my MO didn't even bother to have me try it.

Peggy Heart

meljo No such thing as lucky to get cancer. And it's more like driving over pot holed roads in Chicago that haven't been fixed in 3 years! Halve of them you don't see and some really screw up your alignment.

new2bc I had sleep issues on Teva. On Exemestane now. I preferred Teva because it's an Israeli company and the other is Indian. I have no issues with Indian other than I have read more issues with bootlegged drugs more often come from there.

Jillly why did your MO lean towards you having it? I know there are chemos that aren't as tough (chemo-lite). Did you discuss something like this?

Mary59c Check out this link to find out who makes your Anastrozole: linky

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, Lago!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938

hi all, new to this thread but already see some friends.  Took first anastrozole this morning after almost five years of tamoxifen.  Had another 90 days on script for T but onc said to start the A now.  Was in peri-meno at dx age 50 but now 55 and post-meno thanks to chemopause and ooph.  Not complaining, I don't miss periods and birth control. ;-)

I didn't have bad SEs on the T so hoping same for the A.  Will take it one day at a time and keep moving. ♥

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Badger many women have an easier time on the AIs that on Tamoxifen. Hoping your no SE continue

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239

Lago... She said because I was in the 'grey' zone and info not yet out from TaylorX trial. In that trial, those that fell into the grey area were enrolled. Half were assigned to chemo and the other half to hormonal tx only.

I asked her about chemo lite and she said there's no such thing. 

So my decision has been made and I'm moving on. :)

• new2bc

Red and Lago,

I slept better last night. I am going to stay on the Teva brand because in the long run it will have less side effects as far as joint pain, etc. Thanks for your suggestions.

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263

That link tells me who makes my pills, but not where they are made. How can I find that info? It doesn't matter that much since our insurance requires we get mail refills from them for any long term meds, and you take what you get. I found it odd that my tamoxifen was always the Teva brand, almost 2 years of refills,but the anastrazole is different, it's Accord Healthcare brand. Why would it be different? I googled them but their website says what all they make and where each drug is available, but not one word about where they are made. How can I find out?

• pontiacpeggy

Your manufacturer is Accord and when I googled I found that they are a Chinese company. You can request from your pharmacy that you be given Teva manufactured anastrozole. I don't know how mail order works but that's what I did with Walgreen's. Is this helpful? Accord Info HUGS!

• Bren-2007
    Bren-2007 Member Posts: 842

Wish I could join you guys for lunch ... but I'm too dang far away.  I'm so glad you're going to take the opportunity to get together.  You're going to have a great time!

hugs,

Bren

• pontiacpeggy

Bren, we still have details to work out and it won't be tomorrow :) Maybe there are other women from Virginia that are somewhat near you and you could organize a get together. But if you're in Michigan - you are quite welcome to join us!!! HUGS!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540

Welcome to The A Team, Badger. I think you may find that you will finally be able to ditch the fan! ThumbsUp

If you can put together a get-together, I would highly recommend it! It is super-fun, and very moving to meet people whom you really have become friends-of-the-heart with online. It can be something really good that comes out of something really bad.

• Mary59G

Thanks Lago, I guess mine are from by Accord Healthcare.

Peggy, looks like we have a 4th for lunch! Wonderful......anymore?? Glad today is going better for you, gosh believe me I know how hard this is for you with your husband. Lots and lots of hugs to you.