Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646

Hi Chris......we're neighbors.......I am in Drexel Hill.......off of Township Line, right down the street from the new Ross, Chickie and Petes........ and about 2 minutes from the Drexeline Shopping Center........I shop at Shoprite all the time.........

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626

I'm 5 weeks since final CT chemo and have resumed anastrozole that I was taking without side effects. Every week my muscles seem to be tighter than the week before. Can't bend over to tie my shoes. They said this can be the taxotere. So far joints are OK but muscles are the issue Hoping this isn't an AI SE and just something from chemo Feel 100 years old

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263

Chloesmom, I did feel that way after chemo, and it took months to go away. The pain from tamoxifen was more in the joints and it took many months to get bad.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540

'Drunken Raisins'-a natural arthritis remedy

To prepare gin-soaked raisin, first empty one box of dried white raisin in a shallow container. Only white or golden raisin should be used for this recipe. Then pour enough gin into the container to cover the raisins.

Cover the container ( but not with plastic, a kitchen towel is good) and keep it covered for 7 – 10 days on the  to allow the raisin to steep in the gin (sitting out, not in fridge).

Allow all the gin to evaporate to leave gin-soaked raisins in the container. These raisins keep well when refrigerated. The popular advice is to take nine of these "drunken raisins" every day. Most users report improvements in arthritis symptoms between 1 – 8 weeks of using this remedy.

Why it works:

1.  Golden raisins- the ONLY type of raisins worthy of the  recipe- require sulfur or sulfides in their processing to make them golden. Sulfur is an active ingredient in 2 effective natural arthritis supplements: glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate. Golden raisins come from sultana grapes and are cultivated under the name Thompson seedless grapes in the United States.

2.  Sultana grapes contain proanthocyanidins which are  thought to help fight infections and reduce inflammation. Grapes also contain resveratrol, a powerful  anti-oxidant that is being studied for many of it's disease fighting properties.

3.  Gin is flavored with juniper berries and juniper berries contain Terpinen. Terpinen has anti inflammatory properties. The essential oil that is in juniper berries contains more than 100 compounds including myrcene (an anti oxidant), catechins (anti-oxidant),  and flavanoids (anti oxidant). Test tube studies have shown that juniper berries can inhibit prostaglandin synthesis.  Prostaglandins help mediate an inflammatory response and increase the sensitivity of nerve endings to pain. By inhibiting their production, a reduction in pain can occur.

• cjanet
    cjanet Member Posts: 288

Ruth- do the raisins make you drunk at all? Sounds like a good recipe.

• ruthbru

No, the gin evaporates. There is one tiny droplet in each serving. They don't taste 'ginny' at all either.

• cjanet
    cjanet Member Posts: 288

OK thanks, that's what I figured. But wanted to be sure.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

well gonna try this as my feet were achie last night and do not get me started on my back!

• ruthbru

Give them time once you start; it took a couple months for my DH (who now swears by them) to notice the effect.

• duckyb1

Gonna try it Ruth..........a woman I worked with; years ago did this every day.....and she was 75....still working with me a Big Phama, and rode public transportation everyday to nd from work, and could put a 25 year old to shame how fast she got aorund.............

Always said I would do it, but never did......hey maybe if I could get rid of some of the inflamation that AI's have caused I could go back to taking them again.......remember I said I don't want to stop...........I have to stop due to such bad SE's.......although I guess Gin won't help the dizzy and off balance..............LOL...........but will give it a shot................no pun intended........

• ruthbru

If the raisins don't work, maybe you SHOULD give it a shot (pun intended Winking).

• proudtospin

I am thinking the one little drop of gin will not make me any sillier than I am now!!

• ruthbru

Happy

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

My MO wrote a prescription for "TEVA PREFERRED" and I learned that Walgreen's had it in stock, they had just been giving me the Accord ones since December. In January, I started getting achy feet which have gotten worse. I hadn't had problems before and it is limiting my walking. Will start the Teva in the next day or two so keep your fingers crossed for me. Think I'll whip up a batch of the raisins too!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

OvercomingOne here is Ruth's Drunken Raisin recipe in a pdf for download. I will leave it up for a few days: linky

• Mcbean
    Mcbean Member Posts: 1

hello,

New to this forum and found you as I have just started taking Anastrozole...

I have finished my chemotherapy and had surgery, and as tamoxifen made me feel like rubbish, I have been having monthly injections of Zoladex (like that's not rubbish!) and now more recently Anastrozole. I am pre menopausal. And although the Zoladex has stopped me menstruating a recent test has informed me I am no where near the menopause, so all these sweats and hot flushes are a result of the meds! Which is annoying...

I am waiting to have my ovaries removed as this will apparently negate the need to have the injections (they really hurt 😔) and as my breast cancer is eostragen receptive, recent studies have shown that taking Anastrazole for the next five years for me is more beneficial with Zoladex or ovary removal that tamoxifen or so my Oncologist informs me.

However, since taking Anastrozole I have started feeling really low, almost depressed. I wasn't depressed before, ok was pretty low given my diagnosis and that of my little girl but not like this. I cry every day, the world looks grey, I feel tired and just want to curl up in to a ball. I have to work, but even that is a struggle, as I just don't want to face anyone! Can anyone tell me if they have felt the same on this mixture of hormonal therapy? Is it the Anastrozole?

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

McBean, I suspect that you are experiencing the depression etc because of the sudden lack of estrogen. You've been thrown into "menopause" and that can really mess with the mind as well as the body. Plus you've already been through a lot with surgery and chemo (BTW it really helps us if you make your dx, tx and surgeries public). You might ask your MO if you might benefit from anti-depressants for awhile.

Is something going on with your little girl? How old are you?

We'll be glad to help you in anyway we can to get through this really rough patch.

HUGS!!!

• RhodyMMM
    RhodyMMM Member Posts: 278

Mcbean, Peggy is right, the abrupt change in your hormones can wreak havoc on your emotions. Also, you mentioned chemo and surgery (not sure what your surgery was) but the whole experience can cause PTSD. My doctor calls it reactive depression. You might be well-served to talk to your PCP or MO about starting on an anti-depressant. I was very resistant to it but the last time I saw my PCP and he asked me "how's your psyche" and I started to cry. So he gave me a script for an antidepressant which I hesitated to fill, waited a few weeks but then started it. It's been very helpful. I still have a lot of feelings of negativitiy about my body image and sexuality but my energy and drive is back.

Martha

• pontiacpeggy

Martha, I'm so glad that you actually filled the prescription for anti-depressants. Somehow we think because we KNOW what's causing our depression that anti-depressants won't help. Have you considered counseling to deal with the other issues? Could help. Or perhaps now that you are feeling more like yourself your body image and sexuality will improve. Thank you for sharing! HUGS!!

• RhodyMMM
    RhodyMMM Member Posts: 278

Peggy, I was actually thinking about counselling today. I need to look into my insurance plan to see what is covered. My hubby has been wonderful through all of this, but I really think I need to talk to someone professional. That's hard for me because I am nurse and in the medical profession, but I can't keep putting him through this. Hugs to all of us!

• pontiacpeggy

Martha, it's so hard to reach out for help even when we know we need it. Good for you! You're lucky to have such a great hubby! Reach for that phone! I'd think it should be covered as part of your BC treatment. HUGS!!!

• duckyb1

Well today I am offically off of the "Devil Pill"........went to my MO yesterday and we had a long talk......

I didn't post last night..went to dinner with my son, and then came back to the house.....he stayed a while, and then we saw the train derailment on TV and started watching it, and by the time he left it was way to late to type......LOL.

The derailment was in Phila, and we are very familiar with the area......another son who owns his own phystic therapy facilities has a place right around the corner rom where the train lays right now........it is horrible.......a 3rd class catastrophe........my daughters husband works for Lockeed Martin, government contract work, and he hs to go to DC all the time.........that is the train he takes all the time............thank God he wasn't on it.I have enough going on in mylife now without anohter worry............

My grandson back in Rehab, my son surgery for melanoma, it just never ends..........so thank God this time my family dodged the bullet.

Ok, so yes I am off Anestrzole...I have so much to share about wht my MO told me but not sure I won't bore you.........we had a long talk, and she was great.............

I did tell her how I ony took anestrozole for only 3 weeks after being on Letrozole for 3 1/2 years..........I mentioned how my SE's went away within days of stopping the letrozole, but after being on anestrole for only 3 weeks and off for 2 I still have a few of the SE's..................she said this to me........"Anestrozole takes much longer to get out of the body".......I just hope it gets better, since she said some never go away.but with Letrozole many do, and very quickly.

I asked her if she agreed with my decision.........her answer was......we have tried, and it is obvious that you just have problems with AI's regardleess which one we use.......so yes, I do agree...........

I told her that there are women who are doing "every other day", or "taking 1/2 a pill a day".......she shook her head and said "that does not work"...........I said well isn't it better to have some of the medicine in your system rather then none at all.she said "that is not how the medicine works.it has to be consistent or you may as well not bother.

I told her I was very frightened stopping because I can hadle breast cancer again, but what i it hits my lungs, bones, or brain......she said "well that is the problem, we never know where it is going to come back if it does.........Then she said "I think your chances of recurrence are low, but then again I can't say for certain "Oh your good, it won't come back"......then she said "however you can't live your life worrying if it will come back once you make the decision to stop".

She said "obviously AI's are ruining your QOL.......then I said "then I could stay on it, and deal with the SE's and feel horrible, and get a recurrence anyway".....said " am I right, that can't happen can't it"........she said "yes it can"...............

I said "then I am done"..........she said............"well promise me you will be happy with your decision, and not second guess yourself, and don't look back"........"you have made a choice that gives you a better QOL, and I agree with your choice".......

So that is my story, and I am sticking with it................good or bad decsion I made it.........will I still worry, I would be lying if I said "NO"...............

She did say to me "you had 38 Rad treatments, and you, at your age when diagnosed you could have opted not to do them."................."You did, and tht was huge".............she told me anyone over the age of 70 at this time takes Rads into consideration of not doing"..................so she thought tht was also in my favor.we will see

• pontiacpeggy

Ducky, I'm sorry that your SEs were so bad that you have to go off AIs. But obviously it is the right decision for you. I totally agree with your MO. You've made the decision - don't look back. That would truly drive you crazy and I think none of us need that in our lives. I'm also sorry that you have so much else going on in your life. It must feel like it is never ending. Thank heavens your son-in-law wasn't on that train! The accident looks awful.

You've done everything possible to keep BC at bay - surgery, rads and 3-1/2+ years of AIs. Three and a half years is pretty close to 5 years. Now go and enjoy your life! You deserve it!

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!

• duckyb1

Also after almost 4 years and I changed life long ago.............the depression, and sadness sometimes is overwhelming...............I blame the AI.............I won't get into all the reasons why I know this, but I had a good life............we all have our issues, but truth be told...........I was never so down in the dumps, not wanting to do things.......feel better just staying home then making an effort to get up and go.........and I was never, never, like that.........never...........

I will not take another medication to "maike me feel happy"...............I don't need anymore SE's..........and that is what happens...........are anti-depressents good......I'm sure in their place they are, but I am not taking another pill to stop something that a damn pill caused..............

There isn't anyone going to tell me.....not my PCP, my RO, my BS, my MO, or a therapist that the AI did not do this to me.......diagnosis wasa shock, but did good after I had a plan.

Surgery........not a problem.

Rads........not a problem..

Genreal feeling........no depression, no aches, no pains, happy it was over, but going ahead with my life..

6 weeks after Rads started Femara...................after 3 months......trigger fingers, hair thinning, aches, pains, dizzy, poor balance, swollen ankles, and legs, muscle problems, back problems, feeling of doom, then foot neuropathy..........all this within 3 months.....except neuropathy which happened after 3 years............so they want to give me another pill to take away my.............anxiety, and depression........without the friggin AI, none of this would happen..........

The nurse who comes in to you first and asks questions said to me "any problems with depression"..................I said "wouldn't you be depressed if you were on a drug tht took away your quality of life"...........I said "I don't need anything to make me depressed in my life.I have a pill for that "......she looked at me like I was nuts............then she said "well if you tell the Dr. she can give you a pill for that.............I said "no thanks"..................once I get rid of the pill that caused it, I won't need a pill to take it away.

But I say to everyone.................Try the AI.......do not opt out of taking it...........do it............then make your decision to continue based on how you feel..........you might be one of the lucky ones............I wasn't............never give up without trying...........I feel that 3 1/2 years still has to be in my favor..........and must account for something........I hope and pray it does.............

• pontiacpeggy

Ducky, you did everything possible. And I agree - 3-1/2 years on AI definitely in your favor. I also get why you won't take anything else. Now get out there and live your life!!! HUGS!

• proudtospin

Ducky, I agree with your decision not to take another pill for something caused by a pill.  Too much drugs and I know you know enough about SEs

mu suggestion now is for you to hang with those adorable little folks and not so little folks too!

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239

Hi Peggy -

Today is day 10 on the Teva brand. So far, no itching, burning, flaking of the scalp. I have mild redness and flaking at the hairline, but nothing like before.

I had the same bad reaction with Cipro, so maybe it's not the Cipro but the fillers. Amazing.

• gypsyjo
    gypsyjo Member Posts: 112

Ducky, I have to agree that you have done all that you could to prevent a reoccurrence. I admire you for sticking out the 3.5 years. Feel good about all that you have done and don't look backwards. Hopefully you will be beyond the side effects soon.

• pontiacpeggy

Jilly, since I had a terrible reaction to Cipro, I wouldn't necessarily discount that you ARE allergic to it. Of course it could be the fillers. Glad no annoying problems. Fingers crossed! HUGS!

• bigcmel
    bigcmel Member Posts: 1

I had a double mastectomy on St Patriks Day! luck if the Irish I know! lol I started arimidex last month and my joint pain is horrible! I have osteoporosis and am getting back on Forteo injections for the osteo! my Dr says that will help! I have started to have horrible nights sweats as well,!