Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

JoJo, are you taking a statin? My husband had debilitating leg muscle pain from them and was hospitalized! My pain on them wasn't as bad but enough that I won't take them ever again. Just a thought.

HUGS!!!

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837

Pegg,

I haven't started any AIs yet, but I think I'll try arimidex first as one of my docs has recommended it, is the brand name better than the Teva type or vice versa

• pontiacpeggy

Start with the easier-on-the-budget Teva generic. If you have problems, then go with the brand name and see if you can apply for the $30/month program from Astra-Zeneca. Make sure you specify you want ONLY Teva. I get mine at Walgreens and that chain seems to always have it. Some chains don't carry it. With my Medicare prescription program, I pay $4/month. One reason Arimidex is often prescribed first is that it is the oldest of the AIs and usually the least expensive. At least we have quite a number of choices.

So give it a try! You could be pleasantly surprised and have no problems at all, like me!

HUGS!!!!

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646

Suladog..........I stated on Femara...after 3 months got many SE's........cost forced me to Letrozole which was not as bad, but still SE's.....finally after getting foot neuropathy stopped it.

Started on Anastrozole 3 months later.....(Arimidex genric).........SE's began within 3 days...worse then Letrozole...........(generic for Femara).................right now doing nothing........but I did it for 3 1/2 years......

Some people are lucky........many are not...........but its worth the try.....I would not, not a least try..........

• cjanet
    cjanet Member Posts: 288

I do post in the Stage IV forums too for sure!  I did start the Arimidex today, I broke the pill in half.  I felt a little nausea this morning but otherwise ok.  I am not on Femara, I thought that's what I was going to take but my onc gave me the Arimidex instead.  I will get an Xgeva shot next week as well to strengthen my bones.

• pontiacpeggy

Good luck, Cristina!

HUGS, Ducky!

• meljo614
    meljo614 Member Posts: 136

jojo, muscle pain is a reported side effect. I'm stiff and sore from running and working out frequently. Not sure if it is any worse on the AI. Are you able to manage the pain with an NSAID? I like Naproxen (Alieve).

• suladog

Pegg,

My insurance will give me whatever I want, would the brand name be better? Just trying to find out what I should ask for first. Teva, or Astra

• jojo2373
    jojo2373 Member Posts: 60

I am able to manage my pain with over the counters, just not the waking up so frequently. I am surprised to see "for me" equal amount of pain with Arimidex vs Tamoxifen - just diff kind.

• pontiacpeggy

Suladog, I guess I would go generic with Teva first mostly for the smaller copay you will likely have. If you don't have copay issues, then go for the brand name. You'll do well!

HUGS!!!

• duckyb1

Sul.............I found Femara to be harder on me then then the generic Letrozole........

Femara is very expensie... I think, even if you don't have a co-pay which with Femara is very high also.

What about reaching our maximium for your drug coverage........wouldnt the rest of the year be on you,

When i was using Femara I was almost at the donut hole, and the co-pay would have been off the charts.........one of the ladies on here who had a 90 day supply of Femara that she stopped brcause she could not tolerate the SE's gave them to me...

That got me through the last 3 mnths of the year, and in January I switched to the generic............ok...I was concerned, but once I knew I could tolerate Letrozole I stayed on it for 3 1/ 2 years till it got very bad.........

My suggestion would be......try the generic.....if that product works for you with minimal SEs or the least SEs I would just tell your pharmacy (mail order is cheaper) that is the mfg. you want, and they are to make note of it..............good luc

• pontiacpeggy

Ducky, I'm not sure that Suladog is on Medicare so she may not have to worry about that danged donut hole like we do. HUGS!

• duckyb1

That's true...............so if she is fully covered, with no cap on her pharmacy portion of her coverage she can pretty much take anything she wants............

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

I am pretty new to the Medicare and donut hole thing.  I was pleasantly surprised last year that it was not as bad as I expected but then again, my drugs were off the charts when I was working since the company had a shit ass health plan.  But it was better than none at all.  I try to keep everything I can on generic although I have a couple things that are not available as generic

• suladog

Pegg,

Thanks so much. There's no co pay issues so I feel good with asking for either Teva or Astra then thanks so much for all your support and encouragement. My mo is ordering hormone panels done before we start ( at my suggestion) so we know where we're starting from.

• suladog

Pegg,

Yes Writers Guid has no donut hole coverage and even when I am on Medicare the Guild insurance continues with drug coverage with no change no donut hole, I only have to ask my dr to recommend the non generic and they will give it to me. Our writers guild insurance is a real amazing plan and they've always been great to u

• pontiacpeggy

Suladog, You DO have great insurance! That's marvelous. What information are you looking for with the hormone panels that you haven't gotten?

Iris, luckily neither DH or I have hit the donut hole in previous years. We'll see if I hit it this year. Everything I take seems to be quite inexpensive which is good for avoiding that mess. Rotten when there aren't generics available. :(

HUGS!!

• duckyb1

I have to take Qvar........it is an inhaler for Asthma...............guess what "no generic"........not one of the brand names is off patent yet..............so no generic......

A 3 months suppy is $90.00, not a fortune, but a lot more expensive then it would be as a generic..........

• proudtospin

it is wired on the asthma inhalers, mine is called advair iused to be able to skip it in certain seasons, but no more, wheezing is so fun

• schoolmom
    schoolmom Member Posts: 327

Just checking in. Passed 2 years on arimidex with joint issues and stiffness but doable. My mom is a 33 year survivor at age 89. No chemo rads or meds, just unilateral mastectomy radical. I am coming up to 3 years......

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

PontiacPeggy - so what do I ask for - Aramidex by TEVA? Or what? I will be on this after chemo and sm confused by names and generics, etc. how can one drug be have so many names and makers? Just tell me what you take. Seems like it works without too many SE. Thank you!

• proudtospin

Sunshine, the brand name is Arimidex  and the generic is Anastrozle so if you want the certain brand (Teva I guess) ask for the drug by the generic name.   Then again, you could ask for it by the brand name and specify that you want generic of the drug.

• pontiacpeggy

MySunshine, you ask for the generic Arimidex (Anastrozole) made by Teva. The reason that there are so many brands is that Arimidex is off patent so anyone can make it. They all have to have the main medication. It's the fillers that differ and often they are the problem. I've had no issues with the Teva brand. But make sure you specify that you will ONLY accept the Teva brand. Your pharmacy should be willing to do that for. And check each time you pick up the prescription. Sometimes mistakes occur. BTW, even if you ask for the brand name, most of the time you will receive the generic unless your doctor specifies brand name only and your insurance company agrees.

Many HUGS!!!

• proudtospin

Hey Peggy, you are up early! 

• pontiacpeggy

Way to go, SchoolMom! Glad your aches and pains are tolerable. Hooray for your Mother's 33 year survivorship! That's fantastic. HUGS!!

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, I was up at 5:45 this morning (kitty was being especially obnoxious!). I'm usually up by 6 - if I sleep much longer it takes me forever to get out of bed (been that way for years). I've been out to visit DH and now settling in to read The Wall Street Journal.

Good morning, everyone!

HUGS!

• proudtospin

Yeap, I do remember the days of my kitty waking me early, after all, he was starving right?  I seem to sleep later these days but today playing lazy.  I have an afternoon tea to attend!  seems we have Vikings in this area and well they have a fund raiser every spring of an afternoon tea~~so hey, it is cool and they are all good cooks

• pontiacpeggy

Your tea sounds fun, Iris! My kitty KNOWS she is starving. More of a problem is that if I give her a "normal" sized portion of food, she promptly throws it up. So she eats a hundred times a day (give or take). And she is the unsurpassed queen of "how annoying can I be so Mommy will feed me?" One of her tricks is to annoy the dog who promptly responds with growls. Kitty doesn't get the message and doggie is apt to snap at kitty who still doesn't get the message - a bit dense, it seems. But it does get ME riled! Love 'em anyway! HUGS!

• proudtospin

My kitty developed a thyroid problem as he aged, it meant he ate like a pig, drank like a fish and well, used a lot of kitty litter!  and was especially good at eating around the little thyroid pill that I would attempt to hide in his food!

have a great day and may it be healthy ,for you and yours and celebrate the Moms day

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, kitty is healthy. Had diabetes induced by a steroid medication she took but, as often happens with kitties, she's back to normal.

Happy Mother's Day to you, also, and everyone here!

HUGS!