Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

SweetHope, I do take the Clariton a couple days before the shot. Did Zrytec work for you?

• PeggyG6020
    PeggyG6020 Member Posts: 23

I started the claritin when I started chemo, and stayed on it the whole time I was doing chemo. I don't think it works as good if you only take it for a few days around chemo. Just my thought.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

I think that the allergy meds work because the problem is inflammation.....I could be wrong, but I am delighted something like that can help!

Don't be afraid of Arimidex. I took it for about a year, and had lab issues---went on Femara for FOUR DAYS and thought I was dying. Went right back on my Arimidex after the two week cleanse from the Femara.

We are all different, I know of no one that tolerates both equally fine. So don't be shy about speaking up when it ain't acceptable......

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582

My PCP and my onc both suggested I do Claritin and you are right it is because of the inflammation - Zyrtec however is something my PCP doesn't want me on because of high BP. Claritin is the only allergy med I've heard of anyone using so it might be best to run it through someone on your healthcare team before you use it - the Claritin in question is the one that doesn't have any decongestant in it. It does work.

• kmpod
    kmpod Member Posts: 84

I'm one of those people who find that Claritin is one of the key pieces in the puzzle of trying to maintain my mobility while taking Arimidex. I'm close to 4 years in now and I don't think I could have made it this far without it.

If I had any doubts about it working they were erased when I had to stop the Claritin for two weeks prior to a challenge test for penicillin allergy. The bone pain (bad enough to keep me awake at night) was back within 3 days of stopping. I could hardly wait to resume taking it. Within 3-4 days of being back on it the pain was resolved. Interestingly ,though it's effective for the bone pain it does nothing for the joint pain and stiffness (nor the myriad of other side effects).

My MO has no objection to me taking it and my Allergist told me that Claritin (loratadine) is the only antihistamine that can be taken safely on a long term basis. Just make sure that is not the formulation that contains a decongestant.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

KMPod, you certainly did find out how much Claritin was helping you. What was your challenge test for penicillin? I'm deathly allergic. When I was 13 they did a skin test and that was with me for at least 3 weeks. Did they actually think your reaction would be masked by the Claritin? I know when I had a terrible reaction to Cipro ("oh, no one is allergic to it), I lived on a really old antihistamine no longer made.

Glad that Claritin brings such relief for you!

HUGS!

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

my PCD advised me to take the little Claritin when I got a reaction to the chlorine in the gym pool. I got itchie. She knew how important swimming is to me and advised the Claritin, it worked like a charm. I do confess that I also take zyrtec every night for miserable allergy junk and have for years

• kmpod

Hi Peggy,

I have quite a number of antibiotic allergies and when I was referred to an allergist for latex allergy testing prior to cataract surgery she took a look at the list and suggested a penicillin challenge test would be a good idea. Apparently, a good number of "historic" penicillin allergies are not actually true, and that was the case with mine. Knowing that now means that if I do get an infection I'll have a broader choice of antibiotics to be treated with. That's a good thing.

She did want to clear my system of the Claritin before administering the test to be sure that it wasn't impacting the results.

I was really impressed by her care. She was looking at my broader health situation and was proactive in testing for information that could be of great value in the event of future problems instead of limiting her attention to the specific test I was referred for.

• pontiacpeggy

Kathy, that's interesting. I would be very surprised if I didn't test for penicillin allergies since I did have a skin test and I was extremely sick at the time. Right now the only ones I can take are tetracycline (no longer made) and doxycycline (terribly expensive now). I am a candidate for cataract surgery and am wondering how I will manage since they seem to use antibiotic drops. I avoid all contact with antibiotics - even when giving the pets drugs. What was involved in your testing? PM me if you like.

HUGS.

• proudtospin

Peggy, a pal of mine had eye surgery and ended up with an allergic reaction to the drops. She continued to use them and finally went to the surgeon whose staff was shocked at her red eyes! Told her that her red eyes were the same color as her nails! Do be cautious

I am doing a skin test next week of an anti inflammatory since I can not take any NSAIDs so we are doing an early test of a steroid med as my new back doc thinks that will help my sore back. But moving slowly as nasty reactions in the past

• kmpod

Peggy, the test itself was very simple - take a pill and then sit it the waiting room to see what happens. The catch was I had to be in her main office where they were prepared to deal with me if I went into anaphylaxis.

And, yes, you will not be able to avoid topical antibiotics when you undergo cataract surgery. In my case it was Vigamox (Moxifloxacin) and I had no issues with it.

• pontiacpeggy

That's encouraging (about the Vigamox). Maybe I could be tested for allergies to it before I decide about the cataract surgery. Frankly, I'd be terrified to take a penicillin pill even in such a controlled situation. You are very brave. Thanks for all the information, Kathy!

HUGS!

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, I can't imagine continuing something that was causing such a horrid reaction like your friend did. I'd worry about damaging my eye. Good luck with the test of the steroid! Hope it works perfectly for you. Hard when you can't take NSAIDS :(

HUGS!!

• proudtospin

Peggy, the pal with the reaction to her eye drops, well mutual friend has said she thinks our friend is senile~~she is just not behaving in a good way. She is the one who just had lung surgery for cancer and now home recovering from that after which she hopes to have hip replacement! ps she has survived 2 rounds of BC in the past so who knows. It is hard to talk to her as the stories do not make sense anymore! Don't you ever get that way!

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, I can see what you're saying. Sounds like the screws are very loose. Very sad. I hope someone is in her life that is watching over her because it sees to be called for. (I don't intend to get that way!)

HUGS!

• proudtospin

Peggy, she just argued with her son about something so he has thrown up his hands and walked. Not sure who is left! she is not close enough for me to help in crisis either, craps getting old!

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, that's really sad. That's why we need to have all those things in place before something happens. We didn't and luckily they weren't needed when Chuck had his heart attack. But everything is in order now. Can't do anything about getting older but sure can make sure that the decisions that need to be made are made and all is set. Sounds like your friend didn't do that.

BTW, we first did do-it-yourself medical powers of attorney and the ones for DNR etc. Our elder law attorney (who did Chuck's Medicaid application) said they were okay but he did up airtight ones, wills, trusts etc.

HUGS!

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156

A few years ago I also took penicillin after decades of a supposed allergy. It actually was a serious allergy to penicillin but was over 40 years ago and the thought was that drugs and fillers have changed. I was fine and happy to have the "cillins" back in my arsenal if needed.

• pontiacpeggy

Marianelizabeth, that's interesting to know. For me it has been 57 years since I was last tested. I'll keep in mind that maybe I should be tested again.

HUGS!

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

joint pain getting a bit bothersome in shoulder, this is where the replacement took place last September, now since chemo is done, have noticed that bone pain. Stopped the clariton since neulista isn't being given any more. But will start it up to see if it helps, anything for neuropathy in feet. Seem sensitive still.

Oh and the Claritin was a God send after that shot. Mo said benedryl was also acceptable with the clariton

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626

Wonder if things that w dee injured before are more succeptibiltit to having the AI flare them up? I broke my foot in the past and it was the first thing to hurt with chemo and the anastrozole

• pontiacpeggy

Chloesmom, that would make sense. I was already creaky when getting up in the morning and I still am. Am I worse? I don't think so. But something injured is already vulnerable and probably has a big red bullseye on it :(

HUGS!

• pontiacpeggy

I was thinking yesterday (poor brain felt overworked!) and wondered if how you went through natural menopause has anything bearing on how you do on AIs? I barely noticed menopause (other than being glad to get rid of my periods). I haven't noticed anything from being on AIs - no hot flashes nor joint or bone pain so far. Maybe there is no correlation but thought I'd toss this out and see what you all say.

Any thoughts?

HUGS!

• proudtospin

morning group, I definitely think that our old injuries come back to haunt us as we age. I also know that my allergies have changed over the years. I used to have terrible problems around cats and dogs but my cat went to the great beyond and now a days, I can actually pet an animal and not get all snuffly! I have a weakness in my left knee from a long ago ski fall!

Then again, not sure when I got sensitive to NSAIDS, it happened slowly where something like Advil upset my tummy but now it would send me into an asthma attack.

Peggy, your doc could test you to see if you are still sensitive to the med, they do a scratch skin test and not check to see if it shows sensitive. Actually I am doing a skin test now for a specific pain med for my back, hoping it works

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

PontiacPeggy I was put into chemopause. When doing chemo I would get hot flashes between 2-5am. Not sweaty though but I could feel the wave from the back of my neck go down my body. Then I would get cold. After chemo (on AIs) I might get some warm flashes. Now I might get a little warm at night if I heat hot peppers (tend to eat a lot of spicy food) but not enough to bother me. I think I sleep through them now.

My sister kept getting hot flashes yet went through it naturally. My "menopause" was similar to my moms although I still think I had it the easiest of all of us. Go figure.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

We had a Marcus Welby type doc when I was a kid. I can still see that big black Buick coming in the drive. I was a puny kid, caught every bug in town. His answer to that was penicillin. One day I broke out in hives the size of 50 pieces. No more of that for me, ever.

After an ooph. and hysto. I had one ovary left. I never knew when I went through meno, blood test confirmed I had. I had some hot flashes at the beginning, annoying but not disruptive. Now has settled into warm surges.

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, I think I will talk to my PCP about getting tested. Cipro I know won't do since that is a relatively new allergy - not one from childhood.

Lago and Spookie, sounds like you breezed through like I did. Has it made a difference on how you feel with Arimidex and SEs?

HUGS!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

When I first started it, I'd wake up at night sweating. Not soaked just wet. I'm also on insulin, my main symptom of low blood sugar is profuse sweating. At 0 dark hundred, it's hard to tell the difference. Do the finger stick to be sure. Sometimes I'd be in the low 30s. As time has passed, the sweats have slacked off, to the point now, it usually is a sugar crash.

Also have fibro and arthritis. The AI makes all that hurt a bit more, and has added some new joint aches. Especially my feet. Some days I'll just skip it for a day or two. That's enough to help.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Initially I used to get warm flashes on Anastrozole when I drank wine but that went away. I'm on Exemestane now.

• pontiacpeggy

Gee, Lago, I wouldn't mind warm flashes from drinking wine :) I'm always cold.

HUGS!