Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

You may and I'm toasting you right back with my wine!

HUGS - lots of them!

• SummerSun
    SummerSun Member Posts: 47

BawlingWell, I'm right there with you Meljo. The base of my thumb started hurting this week and is killing me now. I am sitting in the airport headed for an Alaskan Cruise and I can't hardly move my thumb. My fingers and wrist have been getting increasingly painful too. It used to only happen in the morning, but, now this crap is lasting all day. I hope it doesn't get any worse. This sucks! And, I can't remember crap, so the second my thumb stops throbbing, I try to open a water bottle or something. Ouch!!

At least there will be plenty of opportunities to ice my thumb if this keeps up!

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156

SummerSun, try to forget all but having fun~~west coast weather is great and I bet your cruise will be amazing.

• pontiacpeggy

SummerSun, that's rotten. Hopefully all the fun you have on the cruise will make the pain go away.

HUGS!!

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837

bookside,

There's a group on the Anericsn Cancer Society's site in the area for cancel survivors, a lot of stories there. When I got a very aggressive TN bcc in my 30's I was told that it was likely due to the radiation as a kid as the cells were so messed u

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

meljo614 and SummerSun just an FYI. I too had trigger finger(s) but over time it got better. Just had a little when I first woke up. so don't give up hope yet. Also some of my stiffness got better after a year.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

well I am jealous of the Alaskan cruise, it is on my bucket list so do have a great time and send pics!

Me woke up to bunch of aches and pains, spent extra time on stretches and finally made it downstairs, only to look out the front door and see a dreary rainy day!

now my body can tell the weather! think the Weather channel would hire me?

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, while I didn't wake up to aches and pains, trotted out the front door to retrieve the newspaper and was hit with a wall of humidity (maybe 1000%) and warm. It's on it's way to HOT (I'm fine with that) but wish the humidity would go down.

Yes, The Weather Channel should definitely hire you. You are much more accurate than their "weather guessers" (as #1 son calls them)

Hugs to all of you!

• lago

proudspin most of us will feel more achy on rainy or humid days.

• proudtospin

I would rather not have such a sensitive body~~bonding with my lovely heating pad this morning. How could I live without it?

• BookLady1
    BookLady1 Member Posts: 196

Happy Saturday! All the weather here in Austin is telling me is get back into the air conditioned house, you fool! Hand watering in the garden will have to wait until tonight since its not our day to water with drought requirements. I wanted to put this out regarding post chemo/AI side effects of joint pain and neuropathy. My MO has had me on Gabapentin (substituted for Neurontin) for 2 months, and it has worked for my joint pain. Just regular creaky ol me, now. No pain! Another pill, more research, but it would be worth it to check with your MO. I have an older friend who takes it for lingering pain from the dreaded Shingles. Best to all of you - Linda

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263

Gabapentin/Neurontin does help some people a lot with pain, especially nerve pain. But be very careful with it. Some people it affects badly, makes them dangerously loopy, like really bad Alzheimer's. Start slow and increase very gradually, and have someone watching you for SEs.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I couldn't stay awake on the stuff. Foggy when I was awake. Not good for school bus driver! Hard to wean down from too.

• pontiacpeggy

Lyrica, which I think is a cousin drug, made DH extremely drowsy. Isn't good for Parkinson's patients either :( He also had an awful time on anti-depressants and it was really difficult going off them (like you experienced, Spookie). All scary.

• BookLady1
    BookLady1 Member Posts: 196

Good advice, Jennie - do your own research then ask your MO. He did start me out slowly, told me what to look for, and not to stop it without his assistance. Same as with any depression meds I've had. I'm usually the Side Effect Queen but I am not tired or loopy with this. Yet. Linda

• pontiacpeggy

That's good, Linda!

• proudtospin

I took the Gab stuff a while back, very lo dose but mano I could not wake up and I was working at the time

I think I finally just tossed the dang stuff

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557

Back to the discussion of radiation, I had a dermatologist in the early '70s who used radiation for my severe acne. Since I became aware of the dangers, I've always been very diligent about having my thyroid checked.

Very scary what we were exposed to

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

I am nott at the heating pad point, but glad it was mentioned, it will probably work great eventually. I am going to try some essential oils for joint pain too, I have someone that works with oils so I can find what concoction works for pain, maybe neuropathy and joints also, will keep you posted if something kicks in right away.

But the Drs telling us there are no side effects or that's not a side effect, I agree, they lie.

• pontiacpeggy

I don't have an issues with Arimidex but I do stiffen up overnight (and have for many years). I use an electric mattress pad - it gets the heat right on my back just where its needed. It is wonderful and you can't beat a nice warm bed in winter either :)

• Mary59G
    Mary59G Member Posts: 52

Jerseygirl9…, I am on the heating pad although my onc started me on Cymbalta and it seems to really help. BUT I would be very interested in the oils..........I am not on here alot but if you find something could you please PM me so I don't miss it! I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mary

• pontiacpeggy

Mary, glad the Cymbalta is helping!!

HUGS!

• meljo614
    meljo614 Member Posts: 136

lago, thank you for responding! I do notice the trigger finger and hand stiffness mostly in the morning. Although it does seem to be getting worse. Trying to tough it out as I know there are worse SE's. I need my hands to work though. Worried about potential surgery and downtime.

SummerSun, enjoy your cruise!! Side effects be damned 😈.

• lago

meljo614 some folks did have to get cortisone shots. Mine never got that bad and I need my hands for the computers.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432

Meljo, do please see your primary care about those fingers. Mine sent me to OT and I'm doing stretches and exercises. My therapist crafted a miniscule splint to rest that joint. I'm hoping to avoid the cortisone shot, but, if I need it, my doc says it fixes just about everybody.

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626

my finger stiffened up when I was typing. Good thing it wasn't the middle one as I couldn't bend it. LOLMade it hard to type with one less finger

• meljo614
    meljo614 Member Posts: 136

Good to know on the corisone shots.  I actually have a good friend who is an OT.  I will talk to her and see if she can get me the splint.  Great idea!  Thanks.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Got my "Drunken Raisins" started last night. I only bought a small bottle of gin and it covered the raisins. This morning the raisins had absorbed a lot of the gin and while there is still gin in the bottom of the container, the top of the raisins are no longer covered. Should I go buy some more gin so they are covered completely for these first few days? I stirred them up morning but want to do this right!

• SoLinda
    SoLinda Member Posts: 60

Peggy, I was put into chemopause after my first session of chemo in January of 2011. The hot flashes and night sweats started at that time, and never stopped and it has been over 4 years since my last chemo. When I stopped taking an AI in September 2014, the flashes got a little better, but after a very short time, worsened. Bad. I get them even while swimming! I do live in an extremely hot climate all year round, but get the deadly flashes several times a night even with air conditioning on!!! A friend of my MIL has now had hot flashes for 21 years since her last chemo ... ha ha ha. Now, that's a thrilling thought, hey? But, her cancer never returned ... All the best to everyone!

• lago

Hot Flashes. I was put into chemo-pause. My last period was 2 weeks before chemo started. Not too bad. Had them between 2am-5am and not sweaty. When I first started Anastrozole I would get them if I drank wine or had hot peppers but not like when I was going through chemo. I do get them occasionally now, also between 2-5am but again only when I eat hot peppers and still not all the time. My sister had terrible hot flashes for years and went through menopause naturally. Never had chemo or cancer.