Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

no watch for me ever, phone is too small for these eyes. So on this arimadex, when did anyone start to notice issues? Neuropathy, numbness, anything at all. And exactly what does the arimadex kill? Hormones, or the her2 part? I keep getting confused. Thanks gals.

• jeanelle
    jeanelle Member Posts: 83

Hi all. I'm new to this thread. I just started on anastrazole about a month ago. So far the only issue I have noticed is that my knees are killing me. I have arthritis in them to begin with but now they just ache almost all the time. Is this a side effect of this lovely medicine. I do have to say that I am tolerating it a lot better than I did the tamoxifen. I think I had ever side effect there was while I was on it. :)

Thanks!

Jeanelle

• azalea23
    azalea23 Member Posts: 6

Jeanelle: I feel like my knees have "migraines" some days. I am pretty sure it is the anastrozole. I have good days and bad. When I have been sitting for awhile and I stand up sometimes it takes me a few minutes to get going. I like Red's massage experience. Maybe I'll try that. I also appreciate the cocoa butter advice!!! Appreciate everyone out there!!!!!!

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Please help, if you can. I read on the website for the Arimidex company that you can order directly from them for, I think, $30.00 a month. This would be the real thing and not a generic with fillers. Why would ypu get it at a drugstore where all you can get, with insurance, is gereneric? I am about to begin this medicine and need information. Anyone get it from the company? I am really scared to start this stuff, but have to.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Mainly because of cost and coverage. Insurance co pays can be high on the name brand. Many of us do well on the generics. ALL of my meds, except insulin, are generic. If the $30 is less than your copay, go for it!!

But do remember that it could be sitting in your mailbox all day in the heat, or freezing cold. I don't do mail Rxfor that reason.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

MySunshine48, please take a deep breath. Arimidex is NOT terrible. Many of us take it for years with no SEs. Why do you see so many postings for ladies with problems? Because here they know they will find others who have SEs. Most of us with no issues don't post. You don't worry about SEs when you take a Tylenol, do you? And people do have them. My MO said why would you assume you are going to have SEs? Do you have aches and pains now? Arimidex won't take them away. Keep doing what you are doing now. And please do think POSITIVELY!!!

HUGS!!!

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837

MySunshine,

Putting my 2 cents in, Pegg was helpful to me before I started and after 3 moss so far so good. My insurance would gladly give me the name brand but I asked for the Teva generic since I'd heard positive things about it. It's what I've been taking

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, Suladog. I definitely recommend the generic by Teva. Many of the gals have found that the fillers used in some generics are problematic. I have loads of allergies and have had no trouble with the Teva anastrozole.

HUGS!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432

There is a name for all the muscloskeletal issues we deal with: Aromatase Inhibitor-Associated MuscloSkeletal Syndrome (AIMSS). Now, if your MO has mentioned this nomenclature, do please let us all know. If s/he has acted as though there is no such thing, kindly do the educational thing.

Found this presentation last night. The very nice fellow goes over all the symptoms, all the risk factors, all the potential fixes, and, if I understand correctly, comes to the conclusion that either your get it or you do not.

http://www.dhslides2.org/nccc/nccc20150505/f.htm

• Pswanson82
    Pswanson82 Member Posts: 2

I have been on Anastrozole for about 3 months now. In the last month, my llips have become very dry and itchy becoming swollen and red around them. I was wondering if anyone else has had something similar. I think this has to be a side effect of the AI. If you are experiencing this have you swithed mess or what products are you using to combat it.

P.
  • pontiacpeggy

I'm already taking Fosamax to protect my bones. It's nice to know it is very good with anastrozole.

AIs and Biphosphonates

Worth the SEs of the Fosamax (GERD which I already have).

• Marie711
    Marie711 Member Posts: 35

Its only been two weeks since I have started and so far the only side effect I have noticed is what I think are hot flashes...I wake up once or twice a night sweating. I have not noticed it as much in the daytime. For those that have hot flashes are they frequent? Day and night?

• spookiesmom

P

That's sounds different from the usual selisted here. Best call your MO, PCP, or pharmacist.

• pontiacpeggy

Spookie, were you talking to me? I have no SEs from the anastrozole. But the Fosamax is known to aggravate GERD. It's under control.

HUGS!

• spookiesmom

no, sorry for the confusion. I meant Pswanson. Think she's a newbie here. Go back a few posts, she has a rash around her lips.

• pontiacpeggy

I remember that post. I didn't think you were talking to me. That is a different SE.

HUGS!!

• spookiesmom

Yeah, it's a new one to me. Guess anything is possible, hope she gets it checked out.

• pontiacpeggy

Me, too

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156

Hot flashes are definitely a S/E for many on Anastrozole~~has to do with the hormone changes with the decreased estrogen. They have been bad at times and disrupt sleep of course but I recently started on Venaflaxine (Effexor in the US) and in approx. 50% of women it improves the hot flashes. I am not taking it for that~~LOL! for depression and anxiety also possible S/E of Anastrozole. But I do believe that I am having fewer night sweats though more insomnia maybe just getting used to the new drug.

What is GERD? The most serious though uncommon S/E of Fosamax and all the bisphosphanates in jaw necrosis~~called osteonecrosis and I am sure that all doctors prescribing it make their patients aware that is is possibility though rare. I did take Fosamax several years ago for a different reason and my dental surgeon was none too happy though it all worked out with my implants.

• spookiesmom

GastroEsophagealRefluxDisease.

I unfortunately have it too.

• pontiacpeggy

It is really annoying, isn't it, Spookie? Argh!

HUGS!

• spookiesmom

It's one of MANY things I put up with. If I don't eat spicy stuff, which of course I love, I'm pretty much ok with it. But, some nights are recliner nights. I was on a proton inhibitor for years, quit when I found out they could cause osteoporosis. Now the arimadex will probably do it. Aaaarrrggghhh.

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626

Spookiesmom. I am back and forth about proton inhibitor. It's pick your poison. Broken hips, esophageal cancer, breast cancer again.... The bone density stuff can mess up your jaw. What a catch 22!

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837

Pegg,

my MO did a bone density test before starting me on arimidex, I have mild osteopenia and as a protection I get a prolia injection once every 6 mo. I was on fosamax 25 years ago after chemo threw me into osteoporosis in my 30s and so the deal with prolia now is there are several new studies showing that it might possibly prevent bone mets, the other drugs like fosamax may also but this just doesn't have the GERD side effect

• pontiacpeggy

I was on Prilosec for years when it came out about bone damage and it wasn't working that well. Used Zantac and now on Pepcid which seems to be working better.

Suladog, I also have mild osteopenia. There's so much we don't know about the interaction of these drugs with cancer. It's very frustrating. Tell me what works and I'll take it!

HUGS!!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Fosamax gave me gerd. I knew it would. Had it on chemo and also before chemo. Had to fight last insurance for Prolia. They wanted me to do Zometa but I won't do infusions in my arms. My MD had to really fight for it.

• angelia50
    angelia50 Member Posts: 168

My sunshine, I get mine from the company and pay the $30. I just did it because I started having a lot of knee pain and thought maybe I needed the name brand. The pharmacy mails it to me monthly. No problems getting it.

• Gaye-Doreen
    Gaye-Doreen Member Posts: 6

Thank you GG27 - this helps to hear some positive responses as so many are negative and frightening. Appreciate it!

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Angelia, Do you have any SE with the Arimidex from the company? I wonder if there are fillers? Do you know?

• angelia50
    angelia50 Member Posts: 168

Mysunshine, i really can't swear to SE or not. I orig. took the generic and I was having a lot of stiffness. Thats when i decided to switch to the name brand. I have had knee issues and stiffness issues prior to any of this happening, so thats why I cannot say if its causing more issues. I have had to increase my blood pressure medications since taking Arimidex. I also now have extremely low vitamin D, but I dont' know if this had anything to do with that either. I just figured I would pay the $30 to get the real stuff. My co pay would be a little less if I got the generic but then, its not a lot of difference. I have sleep issues and I am pretty sure its the Arimidex that has made it worse because during a week I was off it, I did have less issues.