Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Marie711
    Marie711 Member Posts: 35

Peggy, I think I had a few hot flashes when I went though menopause, but I was working in a nursing home and was not sure if some of it was menopause or just because people in nursing homes like it HOT! 😜 I went though menopause at about 50. (8 years ago) They seem worse now, I wake up sweating several times a night, and have them in the daytime too.

• rosesrx
    rosesrx Member Posts: 264

Pboi, magnesium does help with absorption and bone health. More importantly it can counteract the constipation that may be caused by the calcium. (think of milk of mag). It also helps with muscle cramps. Your dose depends on the salt form, mag oxide, mag citrate, mag sulfate, mag hydroxide... Typically 250-500mg. Peg the prilosec you pointed out only provides 0.6 mg (this is also a salt form of omeprazole) so you may need to supplement, I know yea... another pill. For those with kidney/renal issues talk with your doc.

Last chemo is Sept 2nd so I will be joining you in October on the Arimidex train. Took T for 4 yrs and took a break due to s/e (depression and foggy brain) only to experience dysfunctional uterine bleeding, scheduled a hx then had screening mammo gone bad. So 6 months later here I am. An interesting observation was that joint pain disappeared and depression resolved about 3 months after stopping T. I had assumed that the joint pain was due to broken bones (6) and multiple surgeries (7) to repair all the damage from a car accident that happened 6 months after my uni in 2010.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Sunshine, I've been taking Prilosec or Zantac or Pepcid for years for acid reflux. Currently I'm taking both Prilosec and Pepcid and having good results. I started on Fosamax 2 weeks after I started the Arimidex 10 months ago. It's for the osteopenia I have. I gather many MOs prescribe something for our bones. I have no trouble taking Fosamax (which does bother the acid reflux but I didn't notice any change) and some people find the pills big and hard to take (no problem for me anyway).

I think it is hard to tell if those warm moments are from the Arimidex or the hot weather or whatever. For many years, I'll get warm about 5AM IF I turn onto my side. I absolutely can't figure out why that matters (being on my side - I sleep on my back). I often have to go to the bathroom about then or the cat starts pacing the bed, being quite annoying. Otherwise, I am NEVER warm in bed!

Glad you are doing well, Sunshine!

HUGS!!!

• pontiacpeggy

Roses, you certainly have had a rotten year! So glad you're almost done with chemo. You must be counting the hours! Some ladies find that Cymbalta helps not only with depression but with the joint pain SEs of Arimidex. You might keep that in mind when you go on Arimidex and are unlucky enough to have SEs.

Re-reading your post, you've had a lousy 5 years, not just this year. Hope that now everything is looking positive for you!!

HUGS!!!

• pontiacpeggy

Marie, sorry that you're having the hot flashes you missed first time around. I'd guess you could have skipped the experience this time too. Hopefully they will subside soon. (Yes, nursing homes are warm. DH is in one and I'm usually comfortable!)

HUGS!!!

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156

Happy to report that the Velafaxine I am now in week 7 of has made the night sweats virtually disappear. However S/E are a new insomnia and constipation which was brutal. Now got that under control with Metamucil and sennakot with colace.

• rosesrx

I started back on Pristiq in April, it is the active metabolite of venlafaxine. I had been venlafaxine since the early 90's. It took me 6onths to ween off. When I went on T I switched to Pristiq due to the CYP 2d6 pathway issues.

The pain and depression had stopped in January. Trying not to anticipate problems but feel that any tendon or bone breaks will be a deal breaker. My power surges are mild until added to the steamy Temps. Bone density is good, last scan was 11/2014. Due to be repeated in 2016.

• marianelizabeth

rosesrx, interesting about the Pristiq. I am aware of the issues of stopping but am so much better. I believe that Anastrozole is a primary cause of my depression and anxiety. Anxiety had never been a problem and depression only happened right after mx in 2013 and when I started on the AI. I do have osteopenia in both femoral neck and spine~~ 2.5 years ago it was only in femoral neck. Bone density loss were 2.5 % and 5% over that time

• rosesrx

weaning off of pristiq was easier/shorter than venlafaxine. The electrical shocks were not as severe. I tried Cymbalta and was wishing everybody would eat chit and die (homicidal ideation) never again...

Marianne, glad the venlafaxine is working and sorry that the AI was the culprit but you and caregivers recognized the symptoms.

• jcfree
    jcfree Member Posts: 30

I just started on Anastrozole 3 weeks ago. Only SE noticed is slight increase in hot flashes. So far so good. I do exercise an hour every day, my Onc said that may help regarding joint or body aches. Also take magnesium with calcium and D3.

• pontiacpeggy

Roses, my DH had a terrible time with anti-depressants. He couldn't tolerate them at all. The last one he tried for a very short time and quit and the aftereffects lasted for months. When they work, they are a godsend but not so much with the SEs.

JCFree Glad that you are doing well on Anastrozole. Keep up what you are doing. It appears from your signature that you have responded fantastic to your treatments. YIPPEE!

HUGS!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538

If anyone wants to join us on the Lets Post Our Daily Exercise thread on the fitness forum, come on over. A great group of women at all stages of treatment and beyond, and at all exercise levels, who a very encouraging for those who want some exercise buddies.

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Question: Does Arimidex cause anxiety

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

Im sure they have never done studies on body weight, frame. and dosage. This is really a cookie cutter treatment. They have also never done studies to see if a lesser dosage is as effective. IMO they need to do a lot more research on these anti hormones !

• pontiacpeggy

Dtad, I don't KNOW what studies have been done on Arimidex. It's been around a long time so there should be plenty of anecdotal evidence associated with it. Many things are cookie cutter and that doesn't make them bad How long have you been taking it? Have you had problems? I've been on anastrozole for 10 months and have had no problems at all. It would be really helpful if you would make your Dx, Tx public. Please consider it.

HUGS!

• marianelizabeth

As far as I am concerned yes, it can cause anxiety. My depression was coupled with anxiety that I had never experienced before. However, there being no question of stopping the AI, I am happier with Venlafaxine and back with Mindfulness daily.

• pboi
    pboi Member Posts: 148

Rosesrx...was over at the femara thread and saw someone mention their pharmacist said their might be an interaction with magnesium and femara. Wondering if that could be true with anastrazole too? I'm thinking no, but need to investigate...know anything about this?

Thanks

PB

• dtad

Not sure how I've not made my diagnosis and treatment public! I'm glad you are doing well on the anti hormone treatment. Unfortunately many women's don't. Only 50 percent complete the 5 years. My MO confirmed that statistic. Not great numbers! I'm not against them in general just feel it's a personal decision. Not everyone falls into the cookie cutter category and would love some more research done on this subject. Good luck to yo

• pontiacpeggy

Dtad, go to your Profile page and the Settings tab. Scroll down and you'll find a way to make everything you'd like public. I personally feel that anything I can do to keep the cancer from returning is worth it. And it seems that many of the women here, even those who had terrible SEs, were glad that they had tried the AIs and stayed on them as long as they possibly could. There are also many women here who do not often post who have had no trouble with AIs.

HUGS!

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

I remember seeing the reports of how many do not finish the meds. Maybe that is why I tried to finish mine even though my diagnosis was not as far along as some

dang do not want to do all this shit again and this seemed my best approach

• dtad

good for you. That's great!

• dtad

Touche! I keep trying to start a new topic for those A's users who do not have any side effects. Maybe you can help me do that because this site is definitely slanted the other way! Personally I was given a rx for Arimidex in July and have yet to take it. I have several autoimmune diseases that are already debilitating enough. I'm hesitant to take add something that has the potential to make things worse. I'm not saying I will never take it but I'm not ready yet. I'm doing a lot of research and looking into ways to lower my estrogen naturally. I was on HRT at the time of diagnosis. I'm having horrible night sweats and numerous hot flashes during the day. My estrogen levels are obviously plummeting right now so I'm comfortable with my decision for now. We all have to do what we feel is right for us personally. Take care and thanks for sharing

• mysunshine48

Abput settings, how do I stop getting emails telling me that one of my topics has a new post?

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 931

Hello, I have concurrent autoimmune disease and am doing well so far on Arimadex.

• rosesrx

pboi, ran magnesium + Femara and magnesium + Arimidex through interactions and none were found. If someone was overzealous with magnesium it may speed up transit time and reduce absorption of said meds, certainly hope that wouldn't happen more than once.

Shocked

• mysunshine48

Oh, just figured out how to change email settings.

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

I don't have any that is Arimidex related.

• pboi
    pboi Member Posts: 148

Thanks Rosesrx!

PB

• pontiacpeggy

SoCal Ladies! This was on my Facebook feed tonight. Please consider participating if you fit the criteria! Dr Susan Love's FB page posted it.

A research team at the Margie Petersen Breast Center at Saint John's in Santa Monica, CA, is recruiting for a small pilot study to evaluate the effects of acupuncture on joint pain caused by aromatase inhibitors. The research team will ask participants to receive a 10-12 week course of acupuncture therapy at Saint John's, complete questionnaires, and provide 5 blood samples. If you are a woman who has been on aromatase inhibitor therapy for breast cancer treatment for at least two months and experienced new or increased joint pain after starting the treatment contact Emerson at 310-582-7138 to learn more about the study.

Hugs!

• gypsyjo
    gypsyjo Member Posts: 112

This is a much broader study than just in Santa Monica. I just finished the paper and lab work to participate in Portland. Here are additional locations.

•Columbia University, NY, NY
    •Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center, Seattle, WA
    •Grand Rapids Community Cancer Program, Grand Rapids, MI
    •Greenville Community Cancer Program- Greenville, SC
    •Huntsman Cancer Institute, Salt Lake City, UT
    •Kaiser Permanente, Vallejo, Walnut Creek, and San Francisco, CA
    •Lahey Hospital and Medical Center, Burlington, MA
    •Good Samaritan Hospital, Portland, OR
    •St. Luke's Mountain States, Boise, ID
    •University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA

There is even one in Michigan Peggy!! My MO had recommended acupuncture to me for my joint pain and insurance wouldn't cover it. It's also interesting the questions that they ask about pain and stiffness in various areas as well as other side effects.

Project Title Acupuncture for Joint Symptoms in Women with Early Stage Breast Cancer

Researcher Southwest Oncology Group, (SWOG)

Study Summary The purpose of this study is to test whether 12-weeks of acupuncture can help reduce joint pain or stiffness caused by hormonal therapy for breast cancer.

The researchers need to enroll 228 women in this study.

Who Can Participate? You can join the study "Acupuncture for Joint Symptoms in Women with Early Stage Breast Cancer" if you match ALL of these MAIN categories:

• You are a woman with stage I, II, or III breast cancer with no evidence of metastatic disease.

• You are postmenopausal.

• You are currently taking hormonal therapy (anastrozole, letrozole, or exemestane) and have taken it for at least 30 days.

• You plan to continue taking the hormonal therapy (anastrozole, letrozole, or exemestane) for at least one year.

• You have joint pain or stiffness that started or increased since starting hormonal therapy for breast cancer.

• You have NOT had prior acupuncture treatment for joint symptoms at any time.

• You live near or are able to travel (at your own expense) to one of the study sites.

Please note that these are only the MAIN eligibility criteria and the research team will need to review your medical records and ask additional questions to determine if you are eligible for the clinical trial. After you RSVP, you will be asked to contact the participating study site nearest you. The study sites are:

•Columbia University, NY, NY
    •Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center, Seattle, WA
    •Grand Rapids Community Cancer Program, Grand Rapids, MI
    •Greenville Community Cancer Program- Greenville, SC
    •Huntsman Cancer Institute, Salt Lake City, UT
    •Kaiser Permanente, Vallejo, Walnut Creek, and San Francisco, CA
    •Lahey Hospital and Medical Center, Burlington, MA
    •Good Samaritan Hospital, Portland, OR
    •St. Luke's Mountain States, Boise, ID
    •University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA

What Does Participation Involve? If you sign up for the study "Acupuncture for Joint Symptoms in Women with Early Stage Breast Cancer," you will be asked to contact the participating clinical site closest to you. You will receive contact information for the sites after you RSVP. The participating site will conduct additional screening procedures to confirm that you are eligible. These procedures include:

• Medical history and physical exam
    • Complete a questionnaire that will ask you to rate joint pain and stiffness
    • Blood work to check your menopausal status (if necessary)

If you appear to be eligible and choose to participate in the study, you will be asked to participate in the following procedures at the site:

• Sign and initial the consent form.
    • Be randomly assigned (like the flip of a coin) to participate in one of the three 12-week intervention groups:

- True acupuncture group – acupuncture twice weekly for 6 weeks (12 sessions), then weekly for 6 weeks (6 sessions).
    - Sham acupuncture group –superficial needling at non-acupuncture points twice weekly for 6 weeks (12 sessions), then weekly for 6 weeks (6 sessions).
    - Control group – usual care for 12 weeks.

If you are assigned to an acupuncture group, you will not be told whether you are receiving either true or sham acupuncture. Only the acupuncturist will be aware of the acupuncture assignment.

• Go to the study site for the baseline visit, and then again at weeks 6, 12, 24, and 52. At these visits, you will be asked to have the following tests and procedures:

- Complete questionnaires that ask about how you are feeling during your treatment and how you are performing in your daily activities. You will also be asked to rate your joint pain and stiffness, and respond to questions regarding aromatase inhibitors and pain medications.
    - Functional testing for hand grip strength and a short walking test.
    - Provide blood and urine samples.

• Participate in a telephone interview at weeks 2,4,16, and 20 to record your acupuncture schedule (if applicable), side effects, and pain treatments you are receiving.

After the 24-week visit, ALL participants will be offered a voucher for ten free true acupuncture sessions to be used off-study at your convenience.

Where? Multiple cities throughout the US