Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• angelia50
    angelia50 Member Posts: 168

mysunshine, you are more than welcome. One month early on, I had to call to remind them and they said they would take care of it and they sure did. I get the next month before I'm near running out. I have two brand new bottles right now.

• Fourminor
    Fourminor Member Posts: 118

Hi,

I am just finishing my third month of Anatrozole. Started reading this thread from the beginning, as it gave me something to do when I wake up from insomnia. Am currently on page 177. However I just saw this little story of a 110 year old woman, veteran, who just passed, and could not believe she did the gin/raisins thing!

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/110-year-veteran-em...

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Glad you're doing well, FourMinor! The lady veteran lives a few miles from me. Made quite the deal about her visit to President Obama - rightfully so. She looked so spry.

HUGS!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538

Oh my gosh, I hope I look and act like her when I grow up! Love that she was doing the raisins and gin.....and it reminds me that my stash is getting low!

• pontiacpeggy

Ruth, she DID look good. I'd never have guessed she was 110. May 85-90.

HUGS!

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

thanks all for the support, I forget about taking time for resting. I started yoga once a week for now, hoping it helps with my bone loss, they are suggesting prolia shots, anyone with experience. As for the arimadex I really Think the clariton is doing its job of easing joint and aches. Do get a headache occasionally but can't figure if it goes with anything?

I saw my BS on Tuesday, she said see you in a year, unless you have any issues, so glad about that. MO I will see till November because of hercepton till then, any gynecologist I was due August, but will move home to a time when I am in between other Drs. Ok gals, be well and think good thoughts Goo

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837

jersey,

I got a prolia shot a couple of months ago... I'm taking arimidex and I had no problems with the shot , no ill effects etc. I had moderate osteopenia and want to nip that in the bud. Also there have been some new studies I read and discussed with my MO who'd also read them that shows prolia may be very effective in keeping cancer cells from migrating to the bone. Hope that proves to be correct, but either way the prolia is no problem and actually does not have all the heartburn side effects of stuff like fosamax. Hope this helps

• Jerseygirl927

just read the blog on prolia shots. Thanks for the info, will continue to research it a bit, sounds good, but ? Had issues with fozamax got guard from that, don't want the jaw Necrosis? And since I am already osteoporosis, will it help? Hmm .

• suladog

jersey,

I've heard that it really helps build stuff back. I've been dealing with this stuff off and on for 25 yrs since my first diagnoses and prolia seems to be the best thing offered so far

• pontiacpeggy

My MO asked if I was having any trouble with my Fosamax and I replied my GERD was no worse than before I started it. He said he's put some of his paitents on Actonel but insurance often doesn't cover it. I thanked him and said I'm fine. So I checked my drug plan's formulary and it would run ME about $216/month. Really? I pay $12 for three months of generic Fosamax. I was rather suprised he didn't mention Prolia. I don't know anything about it except for the few posts here but it sure seems like a good option if I do have trouble with Fosamax.

HUGS!

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950

I had the Reclast infusion in April. I had no problems with it and hope it helps my osteopenia.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Jerseygirl927 I've had 2 shots of Prolia so far. No problems. I make sure I go to the dentist several weeks before my shot. Be sure to let your dentist know. I will have my first scan this October. Granted it might be a bit early to tell.

PontiacPeggy Usually the prescribe Reclast before Prolia if you have issues with the pills. Prolia is the newest and most expensive. We had to really fight for me to get it. I don't want to do Reclast because it's an infusion. LE in one arm and the other is at risk.

• pontiacpeggy

Lago, Not sure I'd be real thrilled with an infusion either. Thank heavens I don't need to consider alternatives to Fosamax right now. Thanks for the info!

HUGS!

• Jerseygirl927

spoke with my gyn and he is doing a thyroid test to see how my absorption if vit d and calcium are? When he gets the results he will discuss the prolia shot. I just want to know if I have already had 3 fractures, will the Prolia help? Or is that a preventative, which I am already a problem being osteoporotic. Anyone know of that being an issue?

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Infusion is my prefereed method for anything.........long as they use me right arm, we are GREATTTTTTTTTTT

• SueH58
    SueH58 Member Posts: 106

Sulfadog - good point about the one-size-fits-all dosage. #1, is the dose too high for smaller women; #2, is the dose enough for larger women. Hmmmm

• pontiacpeggy

SueH58 and SulaDog, I really don't know if Arimidex should or should not be dosage weight-dependent, but I got to thinking that for adults, the dosage for aspirin, Tylenol etc seems to be one size fits all. Just a thought.

HUGS!!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I am definitely TOO fluffy, been on the pill over 2 years. So far NED. Agree with Peg on aspirin and such.

• Jesika63
    Jesika63 Member Posts: 25

I think there is a difference between the aspirin and al. dosage. The al is standard for all of us. While with aspirin we can take depending on our pain. We can take one or two. etc. Now when it comes to side effect than i can truly say we all need to give it a try just as we do aspirin. I mind flies away sometimes and i even thought it should be given according to the stage etc. not weight but then again i am not a doctor-just a patient trying to find answers. and praying for a cure.

• Jesika63
    Jesika63 Member Posts: 25

maybe they will come do a study someday and find the right dosage. For now, i thank God for anything that comes our way to make us all better.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 932

Just a thought, maybe the action is more like an on/ off switch than a sliding dimmer switch? So maybe 1 mg. Does it at the hormonal level, regardless. I'm going to ask my oncologist opinion though. Interesting discussion.

• suladog

Peg,

Well so far so good with the arimidex for me but I was concerned as I'm not a big person and one size fits all for a drug like this did concern me... I was told by my MO that they gave me arimidex because I am small and they like to prescribe femara for larger ladies... I was asking because I was scared to start armidex and was asking about femara instead. I have never heard this anywhere else so who knows where that thinking comes from . I know lots of small women on femara and vice versa so That stuff is a mystery to me. Anyway, I'm still taking my arimidex every morning and still doing ok with it. Maybe the 4000 units of D everyday means something, once again.. Who knows!!

• pontiacpeggy

Suladog, Glad you're doing well. I've never heard that about Arimidex vs Femara and size before. My MO seems to think them interchangeable but leans to Arimidex since it's been around longer and is cheaper. I take 3000 units of D. No clue if it matters or not.

Reader, that's an interesting thought. Rather like birth control pills (at least back in the dark ages when I was taking them - don't know about the newer stuff from the mid-80s on).

Jesika, I'm with you. So glad to have something that can keep BC at bay.

HUGS!!!

• suladog

peg,

Yeah I never heard that either. Who knows what floats through these doctors heads sometimes, I'm glad I got the arimidex now mainly because it's an older drug and they know more about it

• pontiacpeggy

Suladog, I tend to do better on older meds anyway but I feel comforted knowing that they have many years of history on it too.

hUGS!

• pboi
    pboi Member Posts: 148

I've been on anastrazole 3 weeks, and thankful not much to complain about yet. Hot flashes same as chemopause, some minor headaches, and a tiny bit of ache in my hip.

My endocrinologist suggested I take Calcium 1200 mg and Vit D 2000 U. I take half at lunch and half at dinner. I asked about adding magnesium, and he said that it was up to me on that one? I heard magnesium helps with absorption of calcium and vit D. Do any of you ladies take it? When? And how much? Thinking about taking it at bedtime as I heard it can help with sleep. I've had horrible insomnia since my chemo days.

PB

• pontiacpeggy

Pboi, I just started taking Prilosec with magnesium 3 weeks ago. I would guess that there is about .6mg of magnesium in the capsule. The Prilosec is 20mg. I take 3000 units of Vit D3 and no magnesium. I do take Fosamax.

Glad that you are doing well on anastrozole so far!!

HUGS!

• Marie711
    Marie711 Member Posts: 35

I'm a 6 foot tall, not skinny woman on Arimidex. Judging from all the hot flashes I'm having I'm sure it's working! So far that's the only symptom I have. I have been on it about 2 months.

• pontiacpeggy

Marie, I'm curious: Did you have hot flashes when you went through menopause or is this your first "menopause"? I had a few but never very bothersome 25 years ago. And none now. Another thing to ponder does it matter what your menopause was like to how you react (at least with hot flashes) to Arimidex?

HUGS!!!

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Peggy, why are you taking Prilosec and what is it? And, when did you start Fosamax since you hsve not been on Arimidex that long? I started Arimidex about 3 weeks ago. So far, so good. I have noticed getting warm feelings sometimes, but not sure about that. I never had anything when Inwent through menopause. Thank you.