Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700

Peggy,

I am so glad that your DH has been able to follow his wishes. My thoughts are with you.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

Peggy, my prayers are with you and your family. We went through this 11 years ago with my mom who was far away from all but my sister. We were able to get to hospice to see her before she passed which helped enormously in letting go both for her and us. Here's a smile story - we three sisters and some of our kids travelled to her to say so long and okay to let go. She still held on until about a week later when my brother was able to get there. Her only son and the baby - she stayed around, almost comatose, not eating, until he showed up. He's such a spoiled brat (said with love) who, in her eyes, could do no wrong.

My sister always sang praises of the hospice staff for the care they showed my mom.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

Peggy, sorry for your news, I was out of town and not online so this is a late set of posting, hospice is a good thing and anything to help create peace is good

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Peg, you are in my thoughts.

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468

Peggy, I'm so sorry to hear about your DH. My DH and I had a good experience with hospice last year with his mom. She had pancreatic cancer and her level of pain kept getting worse so we had them come in. The nurses were so sweet. They made sure she was comfortable and as pain free as possible.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

so sorry Peggy. Glad you are taking advantage of Hospice Care. They are amazing. We will all be thinking of you during this difficult time. Best

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582

Peggy - can't say enough about Hospice care - had it for DH and my beloved Sis - thoughts are with you.

• dltnhm
    dltnhm Member Posts: 420

Praying for your husband, you and your sons at this time

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538

I have been out of town too. Thinking of you and your family during this hard, hard time, Peggy; and sending virtual hugs and real prayers your way.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Ladies, we are so impressed with hospice. We have the best nurse in the whole world and she is so supportive. I'm glad we chose this way. DH is peaceful. Getting pain meds as needed etc. He is in the hospital and the staff is fantastic, always checking to see if he or we need anything, even coffee or snacks. Probably the best experience possible in an awful situation.

HUGS!!

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

Peg...Hugs and prayers to you and your family. Remember to take care of you! I am glad hospice is there to help.

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

Peggy you are always helping us, know our prayers are with you and your family. Hugs

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Peggy. Hugs. I'm glad Hospice is there for you all. Much love. Many prayers and much strength.

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152

Praying for your family, Peggy.

• Rosiesride
    Rosiesride Member Posts: 197

hi my old friends! I have been so busy with getting back to life but have recently been back on the board here...I finished all treatment august 2014....chemo/ rads and went back to teaching...I even sometimes forget I went through all that mess! Saw MO yesterday and he asked about my decision to get a hysterectomy...I never went Intomenopause...and at 54, I had my full blown period on the first day of chemo...my kids thought I was bionic woman or something....but being 54 and NOT in menopause is probably the reason my cancer grew!!! Anyway, I have been on tamoxifen for one year and will try anastrozole starting today...in the hopes my fibroids and other issues that warrant a hysterectomy if I stayed on tamoxifen, will reverse themselves. MO said if I do stay on tamoxifen then I am committed to having hysterectomy...I already have changes in the uterus from tamoxifen. So I will try it and if SEs are too bad , I will go back to tamoxifen and have surgery in December. I just want to enjoy each day...I will also start Claritin again, for allergies and bone pain, and take the glaucosomine supplement...I will keep you posted! Rosie

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

Peggy, I'm not finding your original post about a change in your husband's condition, but take it something changed. Hospice was such a comfort to us with Lew's family earlier this summer and know they will be a good resource for you and your family. Prayers for you.

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156

Rosiesride, good luck with Anastrozole.

Pontoacpeggy, a big virtual hug from me as you go through this with your husband. Glad your boys are with you too.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

PontiacPeggy - Surrounding you and your family with good thoughts of comfort.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Rosieride, I am confused. Anastrazole is only for women who are in menopause. Tamoxifen is for those who have not had hysterectomy or gone through the change. I had a hysterectomy at 46 because of fibroids (pre-bc) and it was the best thing I ever did for myself......

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Me too Red !!!

• rosesrx
    rosesrx Member Posts: 264

Just a thought, with me while on T at age 53 the bleeding was dysfunctional uterine bleeding DUB. despite a round of progesterone and an d&c still bleeding. Estradiol levels showed menopause. Had to get onc gyn involved with total hysterectomy. Yeah to no cancer found but simple hyperplasia. I had asked MO for hormone levels at first do in 2010 and was not willing to order but pointed me back to PCP who did recommend OG with the issues in 2014.

It is a shame to have to be up on our game so much. Thankfully I am in the medical field and have been my own advocate / navigator. Comprehensive Centers are helpful for those unable to chart their course.

• april25
    april25 Member Posts: 367

Hello, all! Just thought I'd check in here since I started on anastrozole at the beginning of this month (September). I guess I haven't been on it long enough for SEs? I have felt stiff at night and in the morning... but I'd felt stiff sometimes before all this... same with the stiff hands in the morning... (it helps a bit for me to keep them slightly clenched while I sleep... although maybe that's just in my mind!). My MO only warned me about hot flashes. I wasn't thrilled with that since having gone through all that with menopause I'd hoped that was over! But it was bearable then, so I'm mostly joking about being annoyed with that. But so far, no hot flashes, although we've been having a heat-wave here, so maybe I can't tell? Nah. I think I'm OK so far.

But interesting that stiffness and bone aches can be a SE. MO didn't mention anything like that. As I said, though, I had stiffness before, so it'll be hard to tell what is SE and what is just what I'd be getting anyway. It just sucks getting old. I kind of figure the bc into that since I am in my late 50s and totally around the age where stuff like that starts to happen (if it hasn't happened earlier for some).

Mostly, I'm just sitting about waiting for my hair to grow in and for my nails to get back to normal and for herceptin infusions to end so I can get my little port out. I love my port, but I can still feel knock into it at times and it can be sensitive, and I don't really feel good sleeping on that side, even though nothing actually is painful...! It's not so bad being on this side of all the major treatments. Mostly have to try and keep positive and not worry about the stupid c coming back, and get back to a more normal life (which would be easier if I had hair, but oh, well!).

It is good to know about possible SEs and tests and remedies, though, so I'm glad to be here.

I haven't had any hormonal tests AFAIK... Just got asked if I was post-menopausal, which was a yes, by close to the right amount of time... (last period was Nov. '13... I think there is a set time they look at???).

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

april25 Interesting my MO only told me about the joint stiffness although only when I pushed her about possible side effects. At first she told me that there weren't any. When I asked her about hot flashes she said NO. I just wish these docs could be honest. I hope you do well with minimal or no side effects. Stay well

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641

Peggy - you are in my thoughts and prayers

• tjh

I printed off a comparison chart from this Web sight and did some research on the options so o had a list of questions. My oncologist is very good about explaining options, SE, and answering questions both at appointments and when they come up. The appointment when we discussed drugs, recovery etc 3 weeks after chemo was 2 hours long.

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

tjh, I see the assistant when I have MO appointments. Then, she leaves and tells MO what we talked about. Then, MO comes in and is in a big hurry to leave. I think my longest appointment with just MO has been 15 minutes, at most. I was not given a medication option and side effects were not mentioned. Your MZo sounds like a very caring doctor.

• tjh

She is also very good at listening to my opinions and discussing pros and cons of options. I do go to a regional cancer center so that may make a difference.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

MySunshine, one way to make a doctor actually stop and listen to you and answer your questions is to whip out your list of questions, very obviously, pen in hand, and tell him/her that you have questions. That seems to work very well for me and has for 50 years. Something about you holding a piece of paper and pen seems to derail their "I'm in RUSH" mentality. It might work for you.

HUGS!

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626

My MO asked about stiffness and jumped on the fact that I had a stiff arthritic finger. She is awesome. Immediately changed me to another AI. Said the other one was giving me a toxic issue. Well we changed to Aromasin which was worse. Actually I can't could have lived with the Arimidex Se but tolerating the Femara better Hurt all over mildly rather than awful in one finger Only see my MO no assistant She isalways late but I don't complain because she stays in the room as long as you need

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538

I always bring a notebook with questions written down & I write down their answers as they give them. I also ask, "Is there any other question I should be asking?" Don't let them out of the room until you feel your have had a satisfactory conversation, after all they are working FOR you not the other way around.