Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

I did not know that correlation between weight and estrogen. Good motivation for sure!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538

Another thing you can do to limit estrogen in your system is to cut way back, or eliminate, alcohol consumption.' Drink rarely, and then sparingly' is a good rule of thumb.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

mysunshine48 yes my back pain was aggravated by Anastrozole. After 3.5 years it was so bad it hurt to stand up straight. I switched to exemestane over a year ago and no longer have the issue.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

ruthbru, did you have to say that about the alcohol as I was sipping a glass of kahlua! My BMI is going down as well as the weight comes off but I was very high estrogen positive. That, together with the ILC is probably why my old MO kept me on. I will certainly check into and ask my new MO about the risks of staying on another 3-1/2 years. I would venture to guess that staying on longer has "leaked" since it is constantly questioned by docs and patients alike. Promise I won't have anymore booze for a couple days.

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

No more alcohol for me. And, as soon as I can, after exchange surgery, exercise is going to be a priority. I hope the back pain is from these tight, hard, painful expanders. However, it will take ALOT for me to go off Arimidex.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Just to chime in, I haven't given up alcohol. I generally have one glass of wine with dinner most nights. What I *did* do was add folic acid to my mix of "stuff." I believe that Dr Susan Love in her Breast Book said that folic acid is helpful for those of us who wish to continue imbibing. But each of us is different on this issue. For me, my one glass of wine is important. I never drink more than that. An individual decision. So do what feels best for you without regard of what feels best or right for anyone else. For me, I think it was stress that "activated" my BC.

I plan to stay on Arimidex or other hormonal therapy for as long as I can. No SEs after 11 months.

HUGS!!

• lexie2002
    lexie2002 Member Posts: 59

PontiacPeggy: Have you experienced any hair loss from Arimidex?? I'm thinking of stopping it because of this new side effect :(

• patoo

Peggy, I may have a glass of wine 2-4 times a week; this is the first time since June I've had anything stronger (kahlua). I also limit myself to one glass because anything more than a glass and a half and you may find me under the table and it would not be pretty. Ruthbru did say sparingly so I'll go with that rather than the 'give up' part. Happy

• pontiacpeggy

Lexie, I don't think so on the hair loss. But I've been under a lot of stress from DH's health so it's hard to say. I really haven't paid much attention.

Patoo, I'd be under the table with you with more than one glass. You might try adding folic acid if it concerns you. I figured it was a painless way to maybe "help" the supposed alcohol effects. I'm a believe in moderation in whatever I do. Of course, I do have times when I get carried away (not with alcohol though) with chocolate or chips, but that's rare.

HUGS!

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

I have never been a heavy drinker....probably 12 drinks a year...I like a good resling, or a Southern Comfort old fashion....but at this point a 1/2 glass of wine makes me nauseous

• patoo

tjh, your system is probably still kinda outta whack from chemo. That should go away in time.

• ruthbru

I am more of the 'closet chocolate chip' eater type myself......I have (on rare occasions) eaten so many that there weren't enough to make the cookies that I had alleged bought them for. Now, with no kids in the house, I don't dare buy them at all!

• pontiacpeggy

OMG, Ruthbru, I thought I was the only one who did that! Not so much in recent years now that I can get Ghiardelli 72% Dark Chocolate squares. I'm also very weak when it comes to raw chocolate chip cookie dough. Really there isn't any need to bake it, is there?

HUGS!

• ruthbru

None whats-so-ever!

We would be dangerous together, Peggy, if left unattended in a bakery!!!

• pontiacpeggy

Ruth, what's funny is I absolutely can't stand to go into a bakery. I find the smells suffocating. DH thinks I'm weird, too :)

HUGS!

• patoo

Admit it ruthbru, you are dangerous whereever there is food, bakery, grocery, restaurant, party... it doesn't matter.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Cookies? Who needs cookies!! Gimme the chips and nobody gets hurt!!!!!

• patoo

Uh oh, chips are my downfall. Make sure when we meet next week there are no chips in the restaurant! You watch me and I'll watch you. (heehee - yeah, right!)

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

bake. Them.... I am liking the discussion, oncologist, gynecologist suggested that the. 5 year to ten years will be foreseeable with the reoccurance rates, I am only 5 months, but in 4 and half years if it's working, then I will strongly consider it.

Fatigue for me still pretty stronge, napping quite often more and more, so dr and nurse say it's normal, so not gonna worry about it anymore.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

lexi2002 Have you tried taking biotin? It's in any skin, hair and nails supplement. Maybe you should try before you give up on Arimidex. Good luck

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

I'm totally in for the raw cookie dough club - been doing that since I was a teenager and still make it purposely on occasion just to eat when I have a craving....yumyumyum!

My MO still says just 5 years for me (I'm nearly 3 years in) and I will be happy to abide by that ☺

• MEG2
    MEG2 Member Posts: 25

Hi All,

I recently started Arimidex (June) after taking Tamoxifen for about 15 months. I had little to no SE's on Tamoxifen and the SE's on Arimidex have been manageable.

At my recent Oncology visit my liver enzymes were slightly elevated; prior to BC diagnosis I'd had high liver enzymes on a few occasions that were associated with either thyroid disease or undiagnosed anomaly. In those cases the liver enzymes returned to normal after a 30 to 60 day wait period, there were also liver ultrasounds to rule out other problems. My MO will repeat the liver tests in 30 days; my initial thought is that it is just another anomaly related to previous issues. Two questions; has any one on this board ever had elevated liver enzymes related to taking the Arimidex and how freaked out or relaxed should I be?

Most of the time I feel pretty positive about a cancer free future but when these issues come up my mind automatically goes to a dark place...just looking for some reassurance that this can be as simple as a SE of the current RX. I appreciate your feedback.

Peace

• lexie2002
    lexie2002 Member Posts: 59

Pontiac Peggy,

Thanks for the response. :) I'm not on these boards very often. (I had said once before I don't really get too many responses so I tend to give up on reaching out).... Anyway, my husband has cancer too. He has Multiple Myeloma, a blood cancer that is really bad. We were shocked when he was diagnosed and then two years later I was diagnosed. What a shock, BOTH OF US! I take one day at a time and we just try and be there for each other. I took care of my mom when she had Lung Cancer. I know all too well what it's like to take care of a loved one. I will pray for you and your husband. HUGS TO YOU!

I HATE THIS THING THEY CALL "cancer!" There are too many things now that have become all to common that take our lives. I've come to realize that growing old is a luxury.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Patoo, plantain chips don't count. I'm not big on them ever tried them?yep, were meeting for lunch next week in Celebration.

• pontiacpeggy

Lexie, don't give up on posting questions. Sometimes it takes a few days for the person who can answer your question to pop up and see it! This is a great place to find information and comfort. I'm so sorry that you and your DH both are suffering with cancer. It sucks! Keep in mind what I said about stress - it can do lots of bad things to your body and I have to think you are stressed, I know I would be in your shoes. If you have time, read previous posts here and perhaps a suggestion or two about your hair might turn up. My old boss used to tell me getting old isn't for sissies. And he's right.

Cookie Dough Lovers - Now I know why I love this site. We are all so similar. Who'd have known there were so many cookie dough fiends in the world? You don't dare share that these days since eating (oh horrors) RAW EGGS. OMG! We'll ALL DIE!!! Notice that we're still hanging around with no ill-effects from those raw eggs :)

HUGS!

• pontiacpeggy

Spookie, good that you are meeting for lunch. BCO ladies are the best!

HUGS!

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

Lexie2002 I have been on Arimidex for almost 3 months and my hair continues to grow back. A lot more white than brown but I can live with that. Your plate is full...send cyber hugs your way for both you and DH.

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

Peggy - and in a pinch we can buy ALREADY MADE cookie dough! Didn't have that luxury when I had my pregnancy cravings years ago.....lol. One of my besties is a dietician by trade and cringes in horror when I mention eating raw dough of any kind.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

gee but have to say I have not acquired a taste for raw dough, always did clean the spoon after making dough but no more

have many other food cravings and dispite just reading the pretzels are bad for folks they are my fav go to thing

a bag of them is dangerous in my house

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

I was never a big drinker. I have an occasional glass of wine but maybe 5-8 times a year.