Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Rosiesride
    Rosiesride Member Posts: 197

redheaded1...hey! I was put on tamoxifen after my treatment because I only went into menopause from chemo...prior to my bc at 54 I was not in menopause and was pretty regular with my periods..even up until the first chemo treatment....so my MO put me on tamoxifen for a year and since I still have my uterus and there have been some changes ,he switched me to anastrozole this past week....does that make sense??? What is crazy is me not going into menopause at 54!! If my fibroid was bothersome and painful, I would opt for hysterectomy....but since I feel ok and I am already past my periods and stuff, I hate to have another surgery! More crapto research and decide on!! Best to you, Rosie

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

I DO take a list of questions but always see the assistant first and she says she is the one to go over my questions with. I once said I did not want to go over everything with her and she said, OK. MO came in but no one was very happy. I am at a regional Cancer center. I asked at the front desk about changing MO. They said I could put in a request, but it would have to be approved by all MO. I am afraid of making her mad and not getting good care.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

MySunshine, I must say that I would not be happy with that tag team approach. I certainly get not wanting to make her mad. Is there someone who will actually listen to your complaint about the MO not taking time to answer your questions? You should not be stuck with an assistant answering questions that concern your life! At least that's my take. Sometimes you feel you can't rock the boat. If you have questions we can answer, let us know. Of course, there are questions only your MO SHOULD answer.

HUGS!

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

My Sunshine...is there someone that can go to your appointments with you? My DH goes to all my oncologist appointments that way he gets what I miss. I get not wanting to make your Dr mad but I would insist on another Dr or meet with the director of the clini

• tjh

Rosieride....I was 56 before I went into menopause, my last baby was born when I was 44. I did discuss with my oncologist that I did not want to take tamoxifen....I didn't want to trade 1 cancer for another. She did some tests and we decided on Arimidex. I do take the name brand. It seems to have less SE.

• april25
    april25 Member Posts: 367

Peggy-- good to see you popping in here! Many HUGS to you!!!

---

Well, last night and all today I was having rapid heartbeats-- around 120. I've had heart palpitations before, but not regularly--usually comes if I over-do the caffeine and I haven't done that in years. I had rapid heartbeats when I was dehydrated during chemo, though. So I've been drinking stuff today, thinking that maybe that's the problem... but I hadn't been doing anything to get dehydrated about! So I checked SEs for anastrozole, and rapid heartbeat and palpitations, etc., is listed as a SE on this site...

I guess I should just keep track of this and report to my MO if it keeps happening? It could be due to something else, but the anastrozole is the newest med I've been taking.

I was sleepy and out of it all day today, but things were OK before this. But I've only been taking this for about 10 days, so who knows? Hmmm....

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

april25 IMO you should get that checked out if it continues, whether it's from the drug or not. It's amazing how different people have different side effects from the A's. Good idea to stay hydrated. Take car

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

april, I agree that it is something to check out with your MO. Perhaps if you are concerned a phone call to their office to see if they think you should come in? I got heart palps a few years back and only after it ended did I realize that it was likely caused by stress (My youngest neice was in Haiti/Peace Corps and one of their revolutions had erupted and news reports scared the be jesus out of me!)

wonder if the stress of all this BC could be a cause? but call the MO!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432

Do call your pcp and/or your MO. If it has stopped, call both. If it is still happening, your pcp is the one. Frankly, if it is still happening, either will direct you to go to the ER, so you might just as well start there. Just because it is listed as a side effect of the arimidex does not mean it is something you should treat as ho-hum. Docs do not like this rapid a heartbeat to go on too long.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538

Definitely you should contact the doctor about a rapid heart beat. Whether or not it has anything to do with Arimidex, it still needs to be checked out.

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468

I've had two MOs and always saw both of them unless they were on vacation. By assistant do you mean NP? I guess I don't understand why she wouldn't want to talk to you directly. Then she knows what's going on without reading a chart. Besides, she is the medical oncologist! She spent more years in school for a reason. Can you go to another practice

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468

April, heart issues also happen with Herceptin. I would let your MO know. S/he may want you to have an echo or Muga depending on when your last one was

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

April get it checked out---especially since it is happening right after you started a new drug. Arimidex can also mess with Blood pressure and cholesterol. It is less common, but could be serious....

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Or if it is a teaching hospital, is it a resident or fellow that is the "assistant"?

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

April25, according to this Arimidex side effects rapid heart beat is a possible sign of allergic reaction. I hope you have called your doctor.

Hi all, I am supposed to start Anastrozole today. I am waiting a few days to get a second opinion about my tx.

• exercise_guru
    exercise_guru Member Posts: 333

I talked to my MO about Arimidex today as They are recommending a hysterectomy in December. He was very wonky about what tests can be done on the heart to screen and prevent heart problems. I have real concerns about why this medicine can cause heart problems. After awhile he said he might send me to the cardiologist to get more answers.

Can anyone help me understand what Arimidex does to the heart? do they not provide screening if you take the drug.

I was told it would increase my blood pressure (which is normal now) increase my Cholesterol ( Already high) and cause osteoporosis. Also do they have any treatment for the bone aches from this? It sounds unbearable. I am 42 and this seems like a very long time to be worrying about bone loss.

Also in the SOFT study some patients did Ovary suppression and stayed on Tamoxifen. My Mo said that once you are in surgical menopause there would be no point in being on tamoxifen.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Been on it almost 3 years. Today my bp was 110/70, as it's always been. Haven't heard of it causing heart issues. Can cause bone loss, they will do scans to monitor that. Most take non drowsy Claratin for joint pain. Don't know why it works, but it does.

Just remember not everybody has se from this, and that hot flashes and joint pain are most common. Those with no issues usually don't post.

Ive been on cholesterol meds for 10-15 years, haven't noticed an increase there either.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Exercise_guru, My MO never mentioned heart problems and I've had none. But I also don't have any cardiac issues. If you do, then definitely talk to a cardiologist. It hasn't done anything to my cholesterol which is sort of high but my HDL level was 95 with a ratio of 1.5 so that really skews the numbers. I was put on Fosamax for my bones and am doing fine.

Of course, I'm 70 and you're 42 so your concerns might be different than mine.

Keep in mind that these are POSSIBLE side effects. Most of us don't have problems. Some women do and they post here hoping to find help for them. If you don't have problems with SEs then you are not as likely to post. Keep an open mind and remember why you are going to take Ariimidex: to KILL CANCER. Even women with SEs would like to find ways to stay on Arimidex just for that reason. Give it a try one you have your hysterectomy. If it doesn't work for you try one of the other AIs. Often one will work if another doesn't.

Another thought: all medications have SEs but most of the time we don't even bother to read the prescription insert, we just take them. We don't expect problems and, for the most part, we don't have them. See if that point of view works for you. Just don't reject Arimidex out of hand because "something" MIGHT happen. Good luck!

HUGS!

• slappy-squirrel
    slappy-squirrel Member Posts: 199

molly50,

I have the Chek2 gene mutation also.

• mysunshine48

I have not read about Arimidex causing heart problems and I have read a lot about it, I started on it about 6 weeks ago. So far, I have had no problems. Fingers crossed!

• Kendrasue
    Kendrasue Member Posts: 107

Tomorrow will mark four weeks that I've been taking Arimidex, and I've also had no problems.

• april8
    april8 Member Posts: 29

I have been on it for 5 months. Terrible hot flashes, joint pain and slowed hair regrowth. It is tough but I am afraid of recurrence.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Ruth bra has the drunken raise recipe. People say that helps joint pain. I've also heard Clariton helps. I'm on an anti inflammatory and a pain pill. Some days are better than others as always. Been on the nasty soul (anastrozole) LOL for 3 years now. Surviving. All meds have side effects but if they're too much, switch. You don't get prizes for suffering! LOL

• lexie2002
    lexie2002 Member Posts: 59

Moonflwr912 have you had any hair loss from the Arimidex?

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

I don't think it's Arimidex that causes heart problems. I believe it's the loss of the estrogen protection for the heart that can cause these issues. linky

• slappy-squirrel
    slappy-squirrel Member Posts: 199

I developed high blood pressure on Anastrozole. I had chest pain which sent me to the cardiologist for tests. I have slight thickening of the left ventricle of my heart. I went from strong bones with low fracture risk to osteopenia in 7 months on the drug. My liver enzymes went up and have not come down even though I have been off the drug for over 4 months. Getting a liver biopsy this Friday to see what's going on. Not trying to scare you, you just need to be aware. Get a baseline bone density scan before you start the drug. Get regular blood tests. You are your best advocate

• muska
    muska Member Posts: 224

I have been on Anastrozole for a year and a half. Blood pressure remains the same as before, i.e. very low. Liver enzymes that were high when I had chemo are back to normal as are all the other blood tests. Hair looks great and grows fast.

I have some stiffness when I first get up in the morning but it is gone very quickly. No joint or bone pain. I am not an athlete and have never been but I try to move more and exercise at least three times a week in addition to daily walking.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

Most of the side effects are from a lack of estrogen. That's what the drug is suppose to do. Unfortunately aside from breast cancer it isn't really healthy to have zero estrogen in your body

• tjh

I have been on Arimidex for almost 3 months. My oncologist didn't mention heart problem...my blood pressure has always been low, average 115/70. It is the same after 2 months+. For bone pain I take 1 Aleve in the morning and 1 before I go to bed....Claritin doesn't work for me-it keeps me awake all night. I have been on cholesterol meds for 15 years so no change there. As far as my hair...it is growing faster in the last 2 weeks, it is about 1/2 inch long. I did find that I have far fewer side effects with the name brand then the generic. I will start on a bone med in November after my bone scan.

• mysunshine48

tjh, Be careful with Alive or Advil or any of these pain relievers. They can cause kidney problems. Did for me and I never took them every day. I used to get a lot of headaches and would pop a pain pill. Not more than 2 per day, but my Neuphrologist said people do not realize that these can cause kidney damage. Just what you wanted to hear, huh? I know, everything causes something! I am only to take Tylenol ONLY if absolutely necessary.