Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

MEG- I guess it depends on how highly elevated they were? If they stay high, they will probably just try you on Femara or Exemestane or Tamoxifen.

Mine did go up on one of my visits, and so MO said he wasn't concerned yet, we would watch it, (of course I was phreaked out just because they were up) and they were normal the next visit. I have had them elevated before I was on Arimidex, and when I got my weight down and my diet right all the numbers looked better. My cholesterol has clearly gone up since going on the AI, so we check that at every vist now. Its not a false elevated reading, it is truly elevated. It is "borderline high" I keep telling myself that I need to trust the MO--I know he is good at what he does. a nd he has lot more experience with this stuff than I do.

On the 5 years---My Mo said we do it for 5 years because the risk of reoccurrence or new cancer is so much higher in those first 5 years. And if when I get to the end of my five, if more trials are done that suggest a better option, we will re-consider. Its not like we can't renew our contract, right?? HAHA

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Tell your bestie that you're still alive, that raw cookie dough hasn't killed you yet and isn't likely to so you'll just go right on enjoying it. Heck, my grandmother's fantastic homemade ice cream recipe uses raw eggs if I recall correctly. Didn't kill anyone in the family either!

HUGS!

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Dearest Friends, DH ended his life's journey this afternoon. He had fought so hard for so many years and his body just wore out. I am thankful I was able to be with him when he passed. My biggest worry is that he would pass during the night, alone, and I didn't want that. His passing was peaceful.

I can't thank all of you enough for your kind words of support the past 3 weeks. They've meant so much to me.

HUGS!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538

I am so sorry to read this news, Peggy, and so grateful that you could be with him at the end. I can tell by your posts that you were a wonderful wife and partner to him. Know that we are all holding you in our thoughts and prayers.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

oh Peggy, you know all here grieve for your loss but know that you were there for him till the end. You have offered so much support to others here

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Oh Peg, I'm so sorry to read this. My sympathy to you and your family.

• pboi
    pboi Member Posts: 148

My sympathies to you and your family Peggy.

PB

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

Sorry Peggy. Glad you could be there with him. You are such a supportive person. Condolences to all the family.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432

So very sorry, Peggy. Sincere condolences.

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

So very sorry Peggy. Hugs and prayers for you and your family through next several days and beyond. May God grant you his peace.

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468

Peggy, so sorry to hear that. Sympathies to you and your family

• grannieval
    grannieval Member Posts: 13

Peggy, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Just know that there are a lot of people here for you. Valeri

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

So sorry Peggy. My condolences to you and your family.....

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532

I'm not telling anyone what to do but the current evidence is alcohol does increase risk of breast cancer recurrence for post menopausal women. Even as few as two drinks per week. And high doses of folic acid increases breast cancer growth in mice., so personally I choose to take no folic acid supplements and I drink only a few times a year.

• Chris13
    Chris13 Member Posts: 112

Peggy, condolences and hugs. As sad as your DH's last days were, he knew he had a loving wife at his side. I hope that gives you some comfort.

• auroaya
    auroaya Member Posts: 784

Peggy even though I don't post often I read your posts and know what you've been going through. Sorry for your loss and may God grant you peace

• Jesika63
    Jesika63 Member Posts: 25

Peggy: Big hugs to you and your family. He is now at peace and no more pain.

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Peggy, My condolences to you and your sons. May he rest in peace and may God give you comfort in your memories of the many years you had together.

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

I am very sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Remember all the good, forget the past and remember he is at peace now.

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837

Pegg,

So sorry for the loss of your husband. You have been so supportive to everyone here , know that we are all here for you now. Peace to you and yours

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700

Peggy,

I am so glad you could be with him in the end. Thinking of you and your family.

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582

Peggy - so sad to read this news. My condolences to you and your family.

• Saccancer
    Saccancer Member Posts: 3

I have been on arimidex 2 years with no problems. But, without asking my doctor, I took Siberian ginseng the last 3 months. I read there might be problems with some types of ginseng interfering with arimidex. I just emailed doctor and she simply said to stop taking it.

I am really frightened now. Have yearly mammo in 2 1/2 weeks, and see her for 6 month check up in a month.

Anyone who has taken this, or knows anything about it?

• rosesrx
    rosesrx Member Posts: 264

Peggy, sorry for the loss of your hubby. My God's grace surround you and your family and friends. Hugs and Prayers.

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532

Oh dear Peggy. I missed a page and am so sorry to read about your loss of your husband. I hope you find comfort in being there to let him go.

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

Peggy, so very sorry for your loss. What a comfort that you were there when he passed. Sending a big hug your way.

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

Peggy, sorry for your loss, hubby is now at peace and my prayers are with you and your family. Hang in their girl.

• lexie2002
    lexie2002 Member Posts: 59

Peggy, I am sorry for your loss. Your husband was a very lucky man to have such a loving and caring woman like you for a wife. You are always so thoughtful and caring on these boards and I thank you for spreading your love to all us women! Take care of yourself and feel the love from your breastbuddies. HUGS AND GOD BLESS

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Peggy so sorry for your loss. But you were there for him. Nobody could have done more. Hugs.

Saccancer, people take breaks from Arimidex all the time or try new AIs. Take a deep breath, and continue on. Remember to ask your MO next time. It's their job to help you find what you need. Why were you taking the supplements,? For a side effect? Let your doc know. But UT yourself some slack, i ended up hospitalized with a med mix reaction and they knew all he pills I was on. My body just isn't like many others. LOL

Hugs and Much love

• Saccancer
    Saccancer Member Posts: 3

Moonflwr, thanks, you're a sweetheart! Your post was good, as was mods.

Good point. People sometimes go off arimidex. I just have had such an easy time of it. At first it was horrible--but it was in a psychiatric way! My psychiatrist immediately gave me a small to regular dose of a common anti depressant I'd had before and all side effects were gone. I've never had joint pain or anything else. I took the ginseng because a friend said it gave her energy and I saw it at the health food store. Yes, I'll check with my doctor from now on. Especially because she is so easy to communicate with!