Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

Peggy, sorry you've lost your DH. My condolences. hugs, GG

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641

Peggy - so sorry for your loss ... glad you were able to be with your DH, comforting him .. Hugs.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Peggy, Surrounding you with care and comfort.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

I'm so sorry Peggy. Sad

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432

Saccancer, my onc suggested I take ginseng for energy, as there are studies out there that show it is effective in getting us back to our normal personas. Mine was not Siberian; I have no idea whether that is significant.

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152

Deepest sympathy to you and your family, Peggy.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

I tried taking ginseng years ago and I found it made me feel weird. It works for some but not for others.

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626

Much sorrow Peggy! So glad you could be with your DH.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Thank you all so much for the expressions of sympathy. There is a peace knowing you've done everything possible and been able to say all that you wanted and needed to say. No regrets. Just that hole in my heart that will scar over eventually but never be filled. I am really doing fine. Mostly doing nothing which is very nice. I'm with family for dinner and, of course, Saturday we Michigan BCO gals will be getting together. That will be fantastic.

Again, I don't know what I'd have done without all of you. You made these last three weeks bearable and, as I've told you all, everything is doable - not easy, but doable. And it was and it is.

HUGS!!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538

A GREAT motto for many of life's difficult situations: Everything is doable - not easy, but doable.

Hang in there, Peggy!

• rosesrx
    rosesrx Member Posts: 264

Pill #1down the hatch.

Herceptin infusion today 11 more to go!

• pontiacpeggy

RuthBru, thank you. Think I'll change my signature. Had a "gotcha" last night when I wanted to tell DH something about DS' life. Argh.

RosesRX, the pill will help you. Hope the Herceptin goes well. Marvelous the drugs they have for us now.

HUGS!

• MEG2
    MEG2 Member Posts: 25

Peggy, I don't know you but am so sorry to read of your loss. May good memories and peaceful thoughts bring you joy in the years to follow.

Redheaded1 ~ thanks so much for your response I really appreciate you letting me know your experience. I've decided to not worry too much and see what the next set of labs tells us, then we take action whatever that may be. I am prepared for a change in RX or another ultrasound or a change in diet; I could drop 20 lbs and know that may help. My Onc tells me two of the prescriptions I'm taking are not conducive to weight loss one of which is the arimidex. Such is this life, I just need to put on my big girl pants and get to work.

Mary

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582

Peggy - my beloved dh passed away 6 years ago and I still turn to tell him something so you're right, there'll always be a hole there but it will heal over somewhat - it takes a while though - glad you're not alone through this and glad that BCO is here to help - they've been my mainstay these past years.

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

I have lost 16 lbs in the last 2 months on Arimidex....just eating lots of veggies, not a lot of meat ( still makes me nauseous 10 weeks after chemo) and walking. ( my school is big enough I put 4 miles on pedometer a day).

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

That's great tjh, keep it up.

• pontiacpeggy

TJH, way to go! That's wonderful. I'm worn out just thinking about all your walking. Aren't you glad it's good for you???

HUGS!

• tjh

I love my job, my co-workers, even the building but I am glad it is my last year teaching. The school is the 3 red largest middle school in Wisconsin...1160 kids 6-8 grade all on 1 floor. LOTS OF ENERGY. I am just in charge of 18 of them with learning and behavioral disabilities. The kids most of the teachers do not want in their classrooms.

1 thing I have learned in this process is that I pay more attention to what I eat and how it makes me feel. I have found that salty foods, super sweet foods and most meat doesnt agree with my stomach. It may be stomach damage from chemo or SE of Arimidex, but it is forcing me to eat better so it is a high point of this journey.

Peggy, I hope you and your sons are good ok this week, I have been keeping you in my prayers.

• pontiacpeggy

TJH, thank you, we are all good. I haven't noticed any food issues with Arimidex. I would think chemo might be the issue for you. IRRC, my DIL had food issues for awhile after her colon cancer chemo. I'm not into salty or sweets for the most part. I'll have potato chips occasionally and I confess I like quite a bit of sugar on my breakfast cereal but then nothing for the rest of the day. I rarely even snack. But with my acid reflux I find I need to have breads with my lunch and dinner. Breakfast doesn't seem to be a problem (strange). But it's always good to pay attention to what we eat.

I congratulate you on taking on the challenge of special needs children. It does take a very special person. Will you be retiring or moving on to something else. I am sure you are not teaching where my BIL lives in Oconto Falls :) Not sure there are that many people in the whole town!

HUGS!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538

Peggy, I like your new picture. Glad things are going okay.

tjh, I was a special ed. teachers too. This is my 3rd year of retirement. I loved teaching (it was all the paperwork that did me in), but really love the freedom and flexibility that retirement has brought. I still sub once and awhile so can get my 'kid fix'.

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, Ruth! Things really are going okay. DH was so unwell that his passing was a relief.

HUGS!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

tjh, if you haven't, pop over to the WI board! There's a few of us over there. LOL.

• tjh

After retirement I am going to be Grandma to my 8 grandkids and active...Band Booster ond Sports Booster Mom for my 13 year old. And wife to DH.

• pontiacpeggy

You have a 13 year old? And grandchildren? Wow. How amazing. Always nice to be a wife to DH (Hahahaha). No grandkids for me, just lots of four-legged furries. I'm envious.

HUGS!

• april25
    april25 Member Posts: 367

Peggy, lots of hugs to you!

--

I'm actually feeling better this week. No serious fatigue or tachycardia or palpitations. I didn't get a chance to chat with my MO when I went in for Herceptin... he had his neck in a brace and said he was not feeling good, so I didn't ask him about the brace, either... poor guy! Anyway, the heart-rate could very well have just been caffeine and dehydration, and maybe I was just feeling tired for those two days?

Hair growth... Mine is still coming in, very, very, very slowly. I'm not sure if I'd know if it was coming in slower due to Arimidex! I don't THINK so, but I have no way to really tell...

I've been taking biotin... for the hair, but more for my nails, which are still recovering from chemo.

Gosh... how can you tell what might conflict with other drugs when it comes to things like vitamins and supplements??? I know that during RT they definitely told me to stop most supplements, like vitamins A,B,C, etc. But no one's told me not to take stuff while on Arimidex...

• wineoclock
    wineoclock Member Posts: 1

In April I was given a shot of lupron to put me in menopause so I could take Arimidex. I now get lupron every 3 months and have taken Arimidex for 4 months. In the last month my fingers and toes are tingly and sometimes feel numb. I have almost all the side effects from weight gain to aching feet and fingers. My onc told me to stop taking it and he will prescribe me a different aromatase inhibitor when my side effects subside. He said by 3 weeks I should be much better.

I have been off the Arimidex for 7 days and still feel not different. Has anyone else had this experience.

Thanks so much!

• pontiacpeggy

Welcome Wineoclock. You will find this a wonderful forum for information on Arimidex. Please do keep in mind that many women have no SEs and they usually don't post here. Women with SEs DO post here, looking for answers to the challenges Arimidex has posed in their lives.

One thing that would help us when you are asking questions is for you to fill out your profile of treatments, diagnoses, etc, and make it public. Then we'll know, "hey, she has gone through what I have".

I've been lucky and had no SEs from Arimidex. I was creaky in the morning before Arimidex and still am. HOWEVER, I did take Claritin for awhile and that did help. It didn't do a thing for my allergies which was the main thing so stopped it. Please talk to your MO and find out what he says. I would think that numbness and tingling are not good. Most women have joint and bone pain if they have SEs.

HUGS!

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

april, on your heart rate, my BP goes sky hi when at the cancer center and actually, few years ago I started getting heart palps in the morning. Scared the heck out of me and my primary care doc sent me to see cardiologist. After bunches of tests, they did not find anything and I figured it out myself.....stress~~my niece was in Haiti and the news reports were awful. But they went away, and no more palps and niece came back safe and sound

dang stress is nasty at times

• tjh

Peggy...she was a surprise blessing....she is almost 18 years younger then her next youngest sibling. She keeps us young but this past 6 months has been very tough on her. I missed a lot of her softball games this summer and we couldn't take any vacations. Then the first Science unit is cells and cancer is part of the unit. Her teachers have all been great watching over her.

• pontiacpeggy

TJH, I have an 18 yr old nephew and 22 yr old niece, so I know what you mean about keeping you young. She's at such a difficult age, almost adult, still child. I'm sure you've done a wonderful job helping her cope. Not sure that that first science section is what I'd want for her but maybe it was helpful for her to understand what's going on and that you'll be just fine. Good that her teachers are there for her, too.

HUGS!