Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Rosiesride
    Rosiesride Member Posts: 197

PontiaccPeggy...I am only now checking in on the boards...I am so sorry for the loss of your husband...peace to you...Rosie

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

RosiesRide, thank you very much.

HUGS!

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626

Can they do a blood test for Vit K deficiency?

• pontiacpeggy

I'm pretty sure they can, ChloesMom. They sure can for most everything else :)

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

Vit K follow up from Cathy Breedon's papers:

Vitamin K as phylloquinone (K1) and menaquinone (K2) are not toxic, and for that reason there is no "Upper Limit of Safety" established for this vitamin. In contrast, menadione (K3) is potentially harmful and it is generally no longer used as a vitamin K supplement.

In the U.S. vitamin K1 is available without a prescription in multivitamin and other supplements in doses that generally range from 10-120 mcg per dose. Vitamin K2 supplements are also available now.

The amount of vitamin K associated with a decreased risk of hip fracture in the Framingham Heart Study was about 250 mcg/day. This can be obtained from a little more than 1/2 cup of chopped broccoli or a large salad of mixed greens every day. A multivitamin with minerals that provides at least the AI level of vitamin K would also be an excellent idea, and the label should be checked closely because vitamin K is notoriously variable between various products.

Food Serving Vitamin K1 (mcg)
    Seaweed, dulse dried 100g (3.5 oz) 1700
    Kale, raw 1 cup (chopped) 547
    Broccoli, cooked 1 cup (chopped) 420
    Parsley, raw 1 cup (chopped) 324
    Swiss chard, raw 1 cup (chopped) 299
    Green tea, dried 1 oz (28 g) 199
    Spinach, raw 1 cup (chopped) 120
    Leaf lettuce, raw 1 cup (shredded) 118
    Iceberg lettuce 1 leaf (20 g) 22
    Watercress, raw 1 cup (chopped) 20-85 (various refs)
    Pennington, JA. Bowes & Church's Food Values of Portions Commonly Used, Ed. 16 Phil: Lippincott Co., 1994

Testing for vitamin K inadequacy is also generally rare because inadequacy is assumed to not be a problem. Traditionally testing involves measuring prothrombin time. However, it appears that this hematological manifestation of inadequacy may not reflect adequacy of vitamin K for other functions. For example, newer studies use undercarboxylated osteocalcin or other measures as a marker of vitamin K inadequacy in bone and cardiovascular applications in particular.

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Thank you, Puffin. Your information is very helpful!

• pontiacpeggy

Puffin, definitely thank you! While I may not be able to always eat the greens necessary, I can at least take a supplement that may help. My GERD is really aggravated by greens :( Broccoli seems to be fine so I'll add that to the mix.

BTW, re: Vit K supplements. I read something that seemed to indicate that some forms of the supplements may trigger estrogen which most of us here do not want. I'll have to hunt that down. It's something to do with fillers maybe. And it may have been in a Q&A for Vit K on Amazon.

Thank you again for bringing this vital information to us.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

PPeggy, would definitely be interested in a possible Vit K supplement / Estrogen connection. Hopefully it's negative but for sure is important information. Thanks.

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582

Suggest if anyone is planning to take Vit K supplements they check with their oncs or PCP's first - obviously the best bet is to get the K through food sources.

• pontiacpeggy

Patoo, I am pretty sure it was on a Q&A on Amazon and it was for Vit K2. Not 100%. Sandy is right that we should check with our oncs or PCP first. Don't need to screw up our Arimidex.

HUGS!

• patoo

Absolutely will ck with MO. Meeting my new MO for first time Monday morning. She's pretty young so not sure what I'm getting myself into but since I've had no issues these almost 7 years I will see what she knows or is willing to learn Winking and I have a backup plan should I need to go elsewhere. Anyone have any tips for dealing with a new MO, please share. Thanks.

• pontiacpeggy

Patoo, Sorry, no suggestions. Make a long list of questions and feel her out. She may be good! Try to go in with an open mind. It's rotten to have to change MO's when all has been going well and you might mention that. Tell her what you would like to do and see what she says/ask her opinion.

Good luck!

HUGS!

• Rosiesride

As for not thinking about cancer, it really helps to be busy...teaching kindergarten has made me forget that I went through all that in 2014! BUT...I also need to pay more attention to my body..it's so easy to neglect ourselves during he teaching day...like, "oh wait...did I go potty today?"...lol...I will be 2 years in December...sporting a pink extension in my hair as a visual reminder to not sweat the small stuff and life is good because I am able to teach again!!! Peace and good health! Rosie

• patoo

Rosie, that is a great testimony for newbies going through stressful times and feeling lost, afraid, lonely... Those days do pass as many of us have found out. Posts such as yours are wonderful.

• pontiacpeggy

Rosie, Great reminder. We do need to remind those just starting their BC journey that there are better days ahead. Maybe not easy getting there, but they do come for most of us. And you're proof!

HUGS!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538

Rosie, I am a teacher too & after BC, when someone would ask me how my day (or year) was going, I would (and do) almost always say "GREAT!". Because any day that you only have normal, ordinary type problems to worry about is, indeed, a great day.

• pontiacpeggy

Very true, Ruth!!

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

This may not be the best thread to ask this question, but what is the usual procedure for seeing your MO after chemo? I am 3 months post chemo and see my MO on November 2. Then, what? And, with implants, when and how are exams done. I will ask these questions on November 2, but wondering whst all of you do?

Thank you!

• pontiacpeggy

MySunshine, I think you will likely be seeing your MO as long as you are on Arimidex. That's usually the onc who handles it. I think I see my BS for another year and probably my end of October visit to the RO will be the last one (it will have been a year since I finished rads).

HUGS!

• Rosiesride

ruthbru...Yes! Everyday is a great day in kindergarten...but here in NC it is a sad state of affairs regarding our profession and cuts...it is soooo easy to start complaining! So for this month, I decided to have a visual reminder and put a little pink hair extension to remind me of the journey I had and all of my blessings!

I have been on anastrozole for 1 month today, after being on tamoxifen for a year ( started in September 2014). I was pretty good on tamoxifen...I had never gone into menopause at 54 years old! Had a period on my first day of chemo too! Then it stopped since chemo, so I am officially in menopause but thankfully no bad flashes! My uterus was changing and I acquired a cyst on my ovary during the year on tamoxifen so gyno scheduled a total hysterectomy for December since I was on tamoxifen...then MO changed me to anastrozole...thinking I wouldn't need a hysterectomy...made sense to me, but I have been learning a lot from this board. I am going to talk to my gyno, get a bone density baseline, and also see about my Prilosec that I have been on for about 8 years!! Did I read that it contributes to bone loss?? So many questions! My symptoms have not been terrible, but today I do feel achy ...ankle felt like it was going to snap the other morning but then was ok! Also had some liver issues before chemo began and biopsy showed nothing and eventually numbers were down enough to begin chemo...but it was the Tylenol that MO thought may have caused numbers to increase ( I had been taking it for neck pain)...so now I also need to remember to ask abôut pain relievers and effects with my anastrozole...making a list now and calling on Monday!! I promised myself I wouldn't neglect my appointments due to my work schedule and craziness!! Thanks ladies for all your knowledge...Ruthbru and Pontiacpeggy...I have seen you on many boards during my cancer journey in 2014...wealth of information...Lago too! Thank you Rosie

• pontiacpeggy

RosiesRide, Let's see where to start :) For Prilosec the issue seems to be that sometimes people have jaw issues. I've been on and off it for years - I switch to other anti-GERD pills (Pepcid, Zantac), but I'm back on it. I had liver numbers that were high and it was aspirin for me that was the trigger. I don't take much aspirin now but I do take Tylenol. Nothing regularly. If you're achy and can, I'd recommend Claritin for that. It seems to work and for most people it doesn't seem to conflict with anything or cause problems. It helped my normal 70 year old aches but didn't do anything for the allergies :(

Getting a bone scan is definitely a great idea. My MO had me get one when I started on anastrozole. I'm also taking Fosamax to keep my bones strong and there are a few studies that suggest that it might help prevent (?) bone mets (that's a good thing!).

Do not neglect your appointments! I love your pink hair extension - wonderful idea.

Have a good weekend!

HUGS!!!

• quiltowl5
    quiltowl5 Member Posts: 1

Hi,

I took my first dose of Arimidex this morning. I took Tamoxifen 20+ years ago as prevention when my Mother was diagnosed with BC, and the only SE I had was hot flashes. I took it for 5 years. Since my total hysterectomy I have continued to have the flashes and they are just a part of my life. I am curious as to what I might notice with my new med. I had a bone density test last week and MO said I was OK to go forward. I have been taking calcium and Vit D supplements for 10 years after diag of osteopenia. I am very happy to be moving on to this phase of tx. :-)

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

regarding how long you will see your MO, I am almost 8 years out, finished the AL at 5 years but still see my MO once a year, she orders my mamo and reviews and really just says hi!

• pontiacpeggy

QuiltOwl, I would guess that you'll continue having hot flashes since your body is still making some estrogen. It IS nice to move on to the next treatment phase - it means you're making progress, doesn't it?

ProudtoSpin, my BS is still ordering my mammograms but you are further along than I am in your journey.

HUGS!

• proudtospin

I stopped seeing my BS a few years ago, I really could not get appts with her as I was not considered urgent but she has said if it ever comes back, then she is my surgeon. Hoping never to need her again!

• pontiacpeggy

I agree - I hope you never need her again, too.

HUGS!

• april25
    april25 Member Posts: 367

Anyone getting tiny little bumps/roughness on their skin? *sigh*

My hands are super-achy and stiff just over a month on Anastrozole. And sometimes my whole body is stiff. I've taken Clairitin now and then, but not sure if it's making a difference. And I'm getting fatigued. (All through rads I was bouncy and not fatigued and had the best skin ever aside from where the rads was hitting my breast, anyway... so something is not right... but maybe I'm suddenly feeling old?)

I do agree on the psychology of all this... I know these various symptoms are real, but I have to think they all point to the anastrozole since that's the new drug I'm taking, whereas there could be other causes! I'm certainly hoping for the OTHER causes, since I'd really like to take the anastrozole without the side effects!!!

• pontiacpeggy

April, I've never heard of bumps being an SE of Arimidex. It could be though. Hope you can figure it out.

HUGS!

• patoo

proudtospin, I saw my BS twice, at 2 weeks and 6 months post-op and then never again. I did not see the point since I was seeing my MO every 3 months (for the first 3 years) then every 6 months for the following 2 years and now annually. He did my breast exams, ordered my mammos and gave me the script for meds. As matter of fact, when I was 5 years out I called the BS office to see if she wanted to see me and she was surprised and said I only needed her if something came up again. Same for RO, I went 2 weeks and then 6 months post-rads and stopped. Prayerfully I will never need a BS again!

• proudtospin

Patoo, sounds like my experience, I think my BS has so many new patients that is the only way to operate. I never saw my RO except right after ending rads although he was so nice and said to call him with any questions. Nice to just have his number