Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• bjb01
    bjb01 Member Posts: 46

vettegirl.......what part of the leg hurts? I have experienced significant trochanter bursitis bilaterally. It an inflammation around the hip, but more specifically the outer part of the thigh at the bursa sac. I try to use Celebrex, but nothing seems to work very well.

• vettegirl
    vettegirl Member Posts: 136

Its the top part of the leg to the knee.  I am wondering if it is inflammation as my hands have been swollen and I have lymphodema in my lower left leg from a foot surgery.  I am being tested for arthritis in Feb-first date I can get in.  I have always been a healthy person-now I feel like a hyprochiondriac because eveything hurts.  I have aged 30 years. The scary part is the MO says no scans-we go by your blood work and how you feel...but I feel like Shit :(  So-how do they know what is wrong?  Your first thought goes to bone mets.  That is why I havent called the MO....I am trying to see if it resolves itself. 

• bjb01
    bjb01 Member Posts: 46

I totally understand. I'm in the medical field (and I know better when it's my patients) but when I'm the patient, all my own logic goes out the window. I finished tx in late august, next scan is march.....seems like forever. I'm actually off arimidex for 6 weeks because of the SE's. I see the MO on Wednesday and probably going to switch. unfortunately the trochanter (caused by the med) hasn't gone away since stopping the medicine. Once it's there, it either goes away on it's own or I could get an injection. I chose not to get them, I'll tough it out. the constipation was so sever, that's the biggest reason for switching.....ugh :( and yes......I feel very old in a matter of 9 months.

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

vettegirl, I hear you. I get abnormal blood tests and scans that show nothing, but you always wonder and worry. However, I feel good. Go figure.

• vettegirl
    vettegirl Member Posts: 136

Thanks ladies.  I dont really get why Claritin will help bone pain if it is an allergy med?  I have decided I am calling my primary dr Monday.  I think he can help me better than my MO right now.  All MO seems to want to do is switch meds-I dont want to do that right now.  Already went from aremidex to letrozole back to aremidex.  I just want to feel better :(

• Pheasantduster
    Pheasantduster Member Posts: 1,986
    My primary care suggested the supplement Co-Q-10 for terrible aches and pains that I had during the nights (could not sleep) It worked for me. I must say (my comments may be a repeat - similar comments of mine in earlier pages). I was on anastrole, stopped very shortly because on lung problems caused by radiation; then letrozole and then exemestane (month break in between). Same problem, terrible aches and pains in legs - so now taking no meds - my decision. At 74 yrs of age I would rather avoid these side effects since now I am coping with problems from a pinched nerve in my neck - ending in pain and numbness in fingers - ugh!
  • octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434

Hi All:

I can't remember if this question has been discussed, but hope to get perspectives: how long after finishing active treatment (Chemo and or rads) did you all start Arimidex? Did you discuss the timing with your MO? Or did they overlap?

I just finished rads yesterday (yay!) and MO wants me to start the AI today. Rx is waiting at the pharmacy. But I am procrastinating: because after weeks of angst about my hair, which has been obviously MIA but also VERY SLOW to show signs of coming back, I am finally seeing some indication that it may be growing again (( can feel actual stubble as opposed to just peach fuzz, and my scalp looks dark). I really would hate to see the limited growth slowed by the Arimidex.

Thoughts?

Octogirl

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Octogirl, I started on my Arimidex the day after my rads finished. I haven't noticed any problem with my hair that I can attribute to it. Hair thins generally as you get older and at 70, this could be happening. My paternal grandmother had a hairline like mine is now so that's why I don't think it's the Arimidex. Go ahead and take the plunge. You'll be fine!

HUGS!

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

Octogirl, congratulations on finishing rads! I started anastrozole a week prior to starting rads. My RO didn't want to start but I had two MO's and my BS who said that current thought is to do it concurrent.

• mysunshine48

Octogirl, I did not have rads, but started Arimidex one week after finishing chemo. So far, my hair is coming in (I posted a picture on the Hair thread). I have not had any side effects that I know of. Go ahead an get your RX and start! I was afraid of that first pill too, but after that, one every morning! :)

Congratulations on being done with chemo and rads!

• pboi
    pboi Member Posts: 148

My MO also wanted to do AI concurrent with rads. Though I was trying to decide between which anti-hormonals at the time and by the time I got the Lupron shots arranged it was the last week of rads when I got started on the AI. I don't know if the AI slowed down hair regrowth after chemo. But my hair has definitely come in thinner than it was before. Not sure if it's due to sudden menopause for me or the AI or maybe both.

PB

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

I started arimidex same time as rads. Didn't do chemo and no problems with hair loss or thinning as reported by some others. Go ahead and start the Ai as you really don't know how your system will respond and probably should get the meds working on reducing estrogen in your body sooner rather than later.

Hug

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Octogal, my MO told me to let my breast heal from my rads (the skin opened up andweeped) so I started about 20 days after I finished my rads.

• pontiacpeggy

I didn't have any skin issues like you did, Red, but my MO said to start Arimidex the day after rads before I had even started my rads.

HUGS!!

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 931

I started arimadex March 1, having finished rads February 13 so about 15 days. No hair effects but I have lots. I'd also say take the plunge if you feel able.

• BookLady1
    BookLady1 Member Posts: 196

October - HOORAY on finishing rads!! Hair-wise, Arimidex didn't make a diff. Mine was coming back like yours, and 8 months later is thick and chemo-curly. I waited a month after rads before starting Arimidex with okay from docs, because I was exhausted after chemo and rads, burned from rads, and wanted a break to plan and celebrate the high school graduation of my DH. No regrets. I did use Biotin and a Rogain-type shampoo for several months. Check the threads here and with yours doctors and breathe! Congrats - no more rads!!✌️❤️🎉💃Linda

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

congrats on finishing rads! I started my anastrozole a week after finishing rads. I needed to have a kidney procedure done and waited until afterwards and onc said that was OK. Can't say it affected my hair growth, though in the overall scheme of things, stopping the cancer always wins out over hair on my head.

• pontiacpeggy

Got that right, Puffin!

• BookLady1
    BookLady1 Member Posts: 196

Really

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

I like that Puffin - 'stopping the cancer' trumps... Gonna plagerize ya!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

me too😍

• schoolmom
    schoolmom Member Posts: 327

Hello ladies.  I just caught up on the conversations.  I have not posted for a long while.  I was first diagnosed in Sept 2012, surgery, then Chemo TC from Nov-Jan.  Followed up with rads from Feb-mid March.  Started Anastrolze mid March 2013 so I am coming up to 3 years.  I saw my Onc. every 3 months at first but now it is 6 mos since last April.  Had CTs every 6 mos at first but now on an annual regimen.  All tests, bloodwork etc have come back normal.  Going for an endometrial biopsy this week for bleeding one day in December.  Hoping it is nothing.  Ultrasound showed nothing, no fibroids etc.  I have joint pain expecially after sitting or first thing in the morning.  Nothing I can not live with.  I take multivitamins, biotin for hair and nails, baby aspirin, Vit D and caltrate with magnesium.  I am going to be 63 and went through menopause back 7 or 8 years ago I think.  My onc is great, my PC and gyn are all within walking distance of each other and share bloodwork and test results.  I still work full time as a speech pathologist with 3 and 4 year olds so that helps.  I am hoping that some of the joint issues and achieness will subside when my 5 years are up.  A Happy New Year to all!!!!

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

My latest is any bad hair day beats a no hair day...

• pontiacpeggy

Hi, SchoolMom! Sounds like you are doing well. That's great. I was creaky first thing in the morning before Arimidex and nothing's changed. I'm 70.

Happy New Year!

HUGS!

• mysunshine48

Hi Schoolmom! Welcome! I retired this past spring after my diagnosis.....at age 66. Time anyway. I was a teacher of special needs children ages 3 - 5. Most all the kids I ever worked with had speech therapy....thank you.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

TJH❤️❤️❤️

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434

went ahead and started the Arimidex this am...thanks for your thoughts all. No SEs yet, not that I expected any immediately :-)

Hugs,

Octogirl

• pontiacpeggy

Octogirl, good. You'll do just fine!

HUGS!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

I've been on Arimidex since August 2012. Have some . neuropathy, some joint pain, take it in the morning so it doesn't interfer with my sleep. Otherwise not a problem. My MO is still saying 5 years but I might push for 10. I don't like my history.

• pontiacpeggy

Moonflwr, I don't blame you. I feel that by taking Arimidex (or other AI's) I'm doing SOMETHING to keep the breast cancer from coming back.

HUGS!