Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• carolyn62
    carolyn62 Member Posts: 51

Anyone experiencing nausea and cramping? I'm miserable this morning. Took a zofran so I can go to work

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Carolyn62, oh yuck! I'm sure anything is possible but I'd tend to think flu/norovirus first. Just feel better. Take care!

HUGS!

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 948

Carolyn62 About 3 week after I started using arimidex. I felt horrible nausea etc. Then I ached all over for a day. Nest day I was fine and I have been fine ever since. Keep in mind our bodies have been through a lot. I know it is hard but we still get sick. Give it a day or two if it gets worse call the MO if better will then you know like Peggy says it might be a virus. It is that time of year.

• carolyn62

Thanks Peggy and Brutersmom. The Zofran helped a lot. I have a biopsy scheduled tomorrow on my left breast, so the anxiety may have made it worse

• pontiacpeggy

Carolyn62, No wonder you feel like crap. A biopsy is always scary and more so now that we have BC and know way too much. Glad the Zofran helped. I'll be dancing away in your pocket tomorrow so don't be alarmed (I'm a horrid dancer - watch that I don't fall out). Hoping for fantastic results!

HUGS!

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

Whoever it was that asked about headaches, yes I just realized this morning that my daily headache I wake up with is due to the anastrozole I took the night before. Also, carolyn62 I get nausea from the pill and am realizing it's when I take it on an empty stomach. I was so nauseated and crampy yesterday morning I thought I was getting noro virus.

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269

New to this thread and about to take my first Arimidex. Hoping for minimal side effects. Donna.

• PNY
    PNY Member Posts: 90

Smurfette26. I started my Arimidex regimen yesterday. I had a headache but I think it may have been coincidental as I don't have the headache today. So far I am fine unless you count me be annoyed at anything my boss says a side effect:)

Good luck

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Well darn. Went to see PCP today, whined about my feet feeling like they could shatter. I sooooo wanted to blame it on this pill. Nope!! He says arthritis. Well, why not, I guess. Arthur and his itis is in most every other joint.

• pontiacpeggy

Smurfette, Don't anticipate SEs. I have had no issues after 15 months. Luckily most of us have have few, if any, problems.

PNY, Glad no headache. I thought "headache" was another word for "boss." :)

Spookie, I'm sorry that you have arthritis. Bummer. I'm glad it wasn't the Arimidex.

HUGS!

• Molly50

smurfette, even with the SE's I have so far it doesn't scare me off this drug. I had a estradiol blood test and it's way low. Obviously it's doing its job.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

mysunshine, I like the idea of plant-based Calcium but the New Chapter Bone Care has soy though I'm guessing since it's fermented soy and not GMO it might be okay? I take Calcium alone and add Vit D3/K2 as a separate supplement but the Calcium may also be limestone instead of plant-based (will have to check). There's another called True Osteo but can't tell if it has soy. It's not in the ingredients but a reviewer said it does. I'll have to research more.

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Geezzz, always something. I know I researched Bone Strength, and must have checked on the fermented soy, but will again. I just liked that it had the D and the K2 all in one. Are you doing the liquid? I take so many different supplements it is like a pharmacy in my cupboard. One RX and the rest vitamins, etc.

Welcome Smurfette! No side effects that I can blame on Arimidex here. What aches and pains I have, I just accept and move on....

Carolyn, I will be in your pocket tomorrow too! Hope the biopsy goes well and results are clear.

• mysunshine48

OK, got online and looked up fermented soy. What I found so far was that it is different from regular soy and actually helps to keep estrogen out of cells. It also helps in calcium absorbtion. I will continue to find out more.

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

I have taken the prolia shot, was scared ship less so checked with dentist and gyn, and all agree, very little side effects unless you need major dental. Go to dentist first, get checked and prolia should be good, also recent study on prunes about bone density and prunes, so going to do that also, cause 2 years ago, had 5 fractures in one accident, so need all the help I can get. But don't sweat it.

• carolyn62

My lump is normal glandular tissue!!!!so happy I could cry! Thanks for the support. Now back to dealing with side effects. No nausea this morning.

• pontiacpeggy

Carolyn, THANK HEAVENS! Now you can breathe!

HUGS!

• pboi
    pboi Member Posts: 148

I'm having a lot of trouble with insomnia. I take my anastrazole very early in the morning. It started during chemo/rads. Been taking Melatonin 3mg. Able to go to sleep easy but wake at 4a every morning unable to get back to sleep, so getting almost 5 hrs, not enough sleep. Ambien hasn't helped, still wake early. Got Trazadone 25mg yesterday. Never been on an antidepressant before and scared to try it.

Not sure if this insomnia is from chemo, surgical menopause (oophorectomy), anastrazole, stress/anxiety. Probably all of the above. Already practicing good sleep hygiene/exercise etc. Any advice?

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269

Thanks for the welcome and support ladies. Felt ok yesterday, no headache and apart from a couple of trips to the bathroom last night I slept quite well. Drinking in excess of 2 litres (I'm an Aussie) a day to flush out Tuesdays chemo. Extreme heat here the last few days 42 deg C (107.6 F) so easy to drink lots though the heat really bothers me after infusions. Stay well everyone. Donna.

• mysunshine48

Carolyn....Praise the Lord! Happy dance!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

pboi, sorry you are having problems. Of course it could be from any of the meds, there's no telling. Who is the manufacturer of your anastrozole? You may need to try a different one, maybe Teva which many are okay with or even the brand name, arimidex by AstraZeneca.

mysunshine, I believe the fermented soy is okay also. Lots of the soy we get here in the U.S. is not fermented but GMO which is not good. My Vit D3/K2 is liquid, yes.

Smurf - wow, 107F - can't even imagine that high temp. Glad you are doing better. Carolyn, that's great news.

• Megansgrandma
    Megansgrandma Member Posts: 29

Thank you ladies for your input concerning Foxamax vs. Prolia. I have bad Gerd and have been really scared to take anything to make it worse. Also having asthma, hate taking anymore meds. I had read horror stories concerning side effects of Prolia. Good to hear you have no side effects Lago. I will just have to really pray about what is best. PLUS, I don't know if my insurance will cover the cost of Prolia.

It took me a while to log back on. We are in the middle of some repairs and it's been crazy around here!

Have a great evening!

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

carolyn...Fantastic. Smurfette....I don't think I would go outside...but I am not allowed to complain about heat, orders from my son who did 2 tours in Iraq War, hottest temp was 128F with his equipment on. Keep drinking!

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

pboi....I have a lot fewer SE since I went to the brand name Arimidex. My oncologist wrote the script requiring it so insurance pays for it.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Megansgrandma We had to fight for my Prolia. My current insurance no problem. Be sure your oncologist prescribes it and writes reasons why. I know my rheumatologist had to get on the phone with my old insurance. They actually had the nerve to suggest I take Tamoxifen instead of Exemestane! I now get it prescribed by my oncologist and there doesn't seem to be an issue.

Don't take no for an answer.

• pboi
    pboi Member Posts: 148

tjh...did you happen to have insomnia and did changing to brand name help that? I thought most changed brands to help with joint pains etc. I'm wondering if my insomnia might be due to menopause/lack of estrogen so wondering if changing brands would help.

PB

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434

Sigh...dumb question from someone with brain freezes: I forgot to take my pill this am. When you do that (I can't be the only one?) do you just skip a day or do you take it at night and again in the am? (I can't go home mid day to get it.....)

Octogirl

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

You're ok!! Sometimes I do it on purpose. Even for a week.

• vettegirl
    vettegirl Member Posts: 136

My leg has not gotten any better. It is worse. Had blood work yesterday by my primary doctor. Having an mri on it next week. We are trying to determine if it is from the meds or from something else. I'm a little nervous.

• Molly50

Carolyn62, hooray!! Great news. Octogirl, if I miss then I happily skip that day.