Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Pearl---I am snappy too---only at my Dad.....and when I go off the damn drug, I am a different woman---humming, singing, pleaseant to everyone......I feel like---this is me BEFORE CANCER===THIS IS ME AFTER CANCER.... I too am counting the days....

• Valentinebambino
    Valentinebambino Member Posts: 13

I already take Gabipentin for hot flashes and thought I was over that since doc did test saying it appeared I was! Wth? I had been cold for awhile now I'm noticing flashes coming back somewhat! Any suggestions if they come back worse after hysterectomy? I had been ta king black cohosh for awhile and it helped, guess I could go back to taking another pill. Ugh being a woman sure has sucked the last five years!

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Aw, Red, I'm sorry. That's really awful.

VB, Who knows, maybe you won't have anything new crop up and the Gabipentin will do the trick.

HUGS!!

• TikkasMom
    TikkasMom Member Posts: 32

My Surgeon thinks my being short with Hubby has more to do with still absorbing being diagnosed with cancer in October and having double mastectomy in November.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I started the pill after all other tx were finished. For about a month I was the most evil witch. Got to the point I was afraid to open my mouth. I never knew what, or how, it would come out. Now I'm back to normal.

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Knock on wood......the only "new normal" for me is new boobs, which probably will never feel like my own. However, I feel fortunate that is the only thing that is really different. I do get back aches from time to time, but I am 67, so just take it in stride. Of course, I have had to work up to being able to do all I could before all this, but, I am really trying to be persistent and eat right and exercise. I think that makes a huge difference. This past year has been VERY difficult and I pray every day to never have to go through this again!

Happy New Year to everyone.......a healthy, happy, year!

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Your surgeon does not know about this drug........

• bgum
    bgum Member Posts: 1

Have any of you had success on Arimidex, but no side effects? I was on tamoxifen for about four months before a complete hysterectomy. And, during that time, I had all kinds of side effects. Hot flashes, bone pain, insomnia. Then, I started the AI. And, I had a few side effects here and there. But, nothing too major. Currently, I'm not really having any bone pain or insomnia. And, my hot flashes are mild. I'm worried that this means that the medicine is not working. Has anyone else had an experience like this? I guess what I'm basically looking for is someone who's had a long-term success on Arimidex, but not too harsh of side effects. I'm so scared this isn't working. I've recently had some soreness/tingling in my arm pit. I have two little boys who need me. Ultrasound

• pontiacpeggy

Bgum, I've been on Arimidex for 14 months with no issues. I didn't have much in the way of SEs when I went through menopause and haven't noticed anything on Arimidex. Please call your BS if you are concerned about your armpit. That will put your mind at ease.

HUGS!

• BookLady1
    BookLady1 Member Posts: 196

Marilyn7 - I was so happy to read your post! I have been on Arimidex since finishing radiation in May 2015 and have had my ups and downs. Trying to figure out what collateral damage is from Chemo and rads and what to this life-extending drug. I've been wishing for a thread with "veterans" like you to learn from and to gain encouragement to stick with it. Good luck with the topical estrogen - sounds like you've got some good doctors working with you.

Maybe some help from our wonderful Moderators on an existing thread or how to start a thread with veteran AI - ers? Thank you Linda

• Simplicity
    Simplicity Member Posts: 723

I feel ya, mysunshine. Love the screen name too. I don't have my new boobs yet, but definitely having trouble finding a new norm.

Wow. So many various experiences.

Great idea booklady. I have seen various 'veteran' type threads based on the treatment, procedure or SE. Would be nice to have them all together. Sooooo much information! Very overwhelming.

Thanks everyone,for sharing your experiences with everyone.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

bgum I know many women who found Arimidex easier than Tamoxifen. Just go for it. You may be fine.

• Valentinebambino
    Valentinebambino Member Posts: 13

Ladies I need help, my evil stepdaughter is at it again, between mean comments about my up coming hysterectomy of growing a beard and being crazy she is back at taking my things! I want to knock her out! I have asked her repeatedly to ask first! She just takes my things and then when I get mad for her doing it she says I blow up for no reason. And no I don't get any support from my husband ( he avoids these incidents or compares them to things my son does). She took my coat then I caught her and said no, so she threw the coat at me! I don't need this shit before my surgery! This latest one is she took my lunch box without my knowledge and then when she brought it back set it on the kitchen table and left so I would definitely see it. Really pissing me off. If I borrow her things she says I'm stealing it. And believe I don't touch her things except to pick up her messes up that are all over the house and I am not a clean freak by far. And all her brothers agree with me and she does it to them.Frustrated beyond control! Help!!

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700

Having raised a girl with problematic teen years, I feel for you. What makes it worse for you is that she is a step daughter and this is fraught with an additional set of layers. Even though my daughter was in her mid 20s when I was diagnosed and went through treatment, she still acted and spoke inappropriately. It was partly her way of dealing with fear of losing me. It's hard to know exactly what is triggering your step daughter.

With this in mind, I'd suggest finding a therapist to help yourself navigate the waters. She could help you with strategies for handling the situation and better understand what your step daughter is going through and how better to react. I'm not at all saying that you are the problem, but you need help to defuse the situation and clearly you aren't getting help from your family with this. I used this strategy to help me with my daughter. You might be able to get a referral through you BC team.

By the way, I have a lovely daughter now and she admits to have been a real pain when she was younger.

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

My youngest was 13 when I was diagnosed...it was tough on her but we didn't have any behaviors....her teachers were fantastic with her and helping her at school when I couldn't be there.

When my husband and I married our first batch of kids were 23, 16, 16, 16, 14, 10. The youngest is 18 years younger. We disciplined "our" kids when it came to the big stuff. Valentine...your hubby needs to step up, you have more than enough on your plate. Definitely a counselor would help, might be a good idea for hubby as well.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

DH needs a wake-up call but probably won't answer it! I agree that counselling for you to help deal with the problem is a great idea. Will keep you grounded (and out of jail!) Please give it a try.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 931

For the Arimidex veterans question, I have been on since March 1, after rads, and tolerate it well so far.

I say to those hesitating, you can always stop if side effects become too severe. Echoing Lago's "go for it" sentiment.

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

I've been on Arimidex for 14 months too. I walk 2 1/2 - 3 miles on the treadmill every day which I think is helping with the joint stiffness. The only time I notice stiff knees and ankles is if I sit too long, I'm stiff the first few steps when I get up. I take vit D, try and eat my green vegetables to get my Vit K which is needed to make the hormone that drives calcium into the bones and get at least 1200 mg calcium every day. Is it all working? Won't know for another year or so when I get my repeat bone density scan. In the mean time I'm walking very carefully on the ice and snow so I don't fall, as long as no bones break I'm good.

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2016

• tjh

I do notice I feel better when I am walking more. I should have been using elliptical on break from school....I also notice stiffness when I get up from bed or when sitting a long time. It goes away in a few steps. Over all my SE are tolerable. I feel good the vast majority of the time. I am looking forward to biking in the summer. I love being outdoors and biking tends to be less impact. I missed it last summer with chemo. Happy New Year to allThumbsUp

• pontiacpeggy

I'm also stiff when I get up in the morning, but I was before I started anastrozole. I take Vit D3 and Fosamax. If I get stiffer, I'll switch to Claritin from Benadryl (which works way better for me than Claritin). Otherwise after nearly 15 months, I'm good to go!

Happy New Year!

HUGS!

• NCDi
    NCDi Member Posts: 61

I have been on Arimidex now for five months (MO told me to take it night) and recently finding my mouth is drier and have some reflux issues in the morning. Does anyone take an OTC antacid or, can anyone offer a suggestion?

Thank you.

• tjh

I am drier....I drink around 80 oz of water in a day...especially when working. I have heart but occasionally...bug I always have. Tums works. During chemo I took a prescription drug for it but I don't need it now.

• NCDi
    NCDi Member Posts: 61

Thank you tjh - I appreciate your comment - very helpful.
  • Chris13
    Chris13 Member Posts: 112

Valentine..... sounds horrible (I rmember those teen daughter days..... awful, awful) but if you have a sense of humor, it's almost funny. She takes the lunch box and then leaves it in an obvious place? Almost like a dog. I'm sure you don't feel like laughing at this point, but maybe you could play along with putting her things in funny places like the refrig. Just a thought... to take some of the pressure off you when you least need hassles. Both DH and stepdaughter are likely to be fearful and NOTdealing with it well.

Not helpful to you when family doesn't step up, of course. Can you ask her how she feels about the DX and treatment?

• meljo614
    meljo614 Member Posts: 136

Hi all! I've been off the boards again for awhile but wanted to share something interesting I just read... On a happy note, I had my DEXA scan last week after 10 months on Arimidex. My spine showed slight increase in bone density and both hips showed only a slight, insignificant decline. I'm going to try to incorporate more of the 'bone builders' in the following list to hopefully fight any further loss.

http://foodforbreastcancer.com/articles/breast-cancer-diet-during-aromatase-inhibitor-treatment

• pontiacpeggy

Meljo, great news!!!

HUGS!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

meljo614 I eat so many things on that list and it hasn't helped me. Some people just have a sucky family history, small frame etc. BTW hot peppers give me hot flashes (OK mild ones). Granted that doesn't stop me.

• pontiacpeggy

I think I'll just stay with my usual eating habits (which have changed as I've gotten older) including my red wine. I think my BC came from overwhelming stress (which may or may not be true, but it's what I believe).

HUGS!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

Another interesting link from meljo's post above:

http://foodforbreastcancer.com/articles/latest-res...

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

Avocados??? I can't live without avocados.