Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

pboi--I have taken Trazadone for over 30 years at bedtime to help me sleep. My dose is 150 mg., but it was 75. I think you will be fine......

• pboi
    pboi Member Posts: 148

Thanks Redheaded1. Nervous, but think I will try starting with 25mg tonight and see what happens. That's a long time to take it, have you found it still works as well now as when you first started? Or do you develop a tolerance to it over time? I notice that your dose is more now.

I did ok with Melatonin 3mg TR at first but it doesn't seem to work as well now.

PB

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

pboi.....I haven't had any issues with insomnia....it may be because I am exhausted with school. When I do it is usually because I am stressed about kids, or worrying about the BC coming back.

• MarieBernice6234
    MarieBernice6234 Member Posts: 125

Hi All -

I am now reading the thread here as I saw my MO today and am having a hard time emotionally handling the Tamoxifen.She told me to take a 4-6 week holiday from it (until March 1st). Then I will either resume the Tamoxifen (yuck) or may be switched to anastrozole. My MO thinks I may be close to menopausal or at least further along than I was last year when I first saw her.

According to my MO the side effects of Tamoxifen can increase the longer you are on it. Sometimes quality of life has to be considered more than the number of years on Tamoxifen. Has anyone else heard this?

MarieBernice6234

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 948

Haven't been posting well but pray for you all often. As long people keep posting it should show up on page one or two of "Active Topics."

If you would all be so kind I would appreciate prayer for the lung issues I am having. I had a chest x-ray for a cough and shortness of breath. Started right after Christmas. I thought it was my Asthma showing up again after about 8 or 9 years of being under control. Unfortunately the chest x-ray showed patchy pneumonia but recommended a follow up in 2 months. The concern is it might be radiation pneumonitis. My internist is treating me for both right now hoping that if it is inflammation/damage from the radiation it is early and may be reversible. The medicine is really helping and breathing is much better now and hopefully will continue to improve.

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

Praying for you brutersmom.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 931

Just prayed for you Brutersmom.

• TikkasMom
    TikkasMom Member Posts: 32

Prayers for everyone.

I've been on Anastrozole about 6 weeks now. Minimal SE' s but tired, sluggish and gaining weight. Tired of being tired. I read this is normal, I guess. I walked almost 2 miles with dog yesterday, gonna try to do more often.

Snowstorm on the way here in northern NH today.

Well take care everyone. I don't post much but pray for all of us day.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

BrutersMom, Definitely keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Hoping it is "just" plain, old pneumonia. Just get well quickly!

HUGS!

• pontiacpeggy

TikkasMom, your treatments don't show in your signature, but did you have an Lx with radiation? That can contribute to fatigue. The experts say that the fatigue/exhaustion from breast cancer treatments generally last up to a year. And don't forget that BC can bring on depression which causes fatigue. Walking your dog is good. And please update your profile and make it public so we'll know all your treatments - it makes it easier to answer your questions.

HUGS!

• Deba1
    Deba1 Member Posts: 1

Maybe just a rant and I'll apologize. Just need to get this off my chest. I am just about finished with radiation and saw my MO yesterday regarding starting Arimidex. Now I am a nurse so maybe I was asking the nurse practitioner too many questions but before I start any new meds I want to hear about the drug. What percentage does taking Arimidex decrease my risk for reoccurrence? (Oncotype was 9, have 6% risk over 10 years with it) What irreversible side effects are most commonly seen with patients taking it.? If the side effects are severe, what are my other options? Whoa...talk about being put on the defensive. Her response was well if it was me you bet I'd be taking it no matter what the side effects. She looked at me like I had 6 heads. Then she says you do know if your cancer comes back it's incurable! So she goes out and gets the doctor. I have no idea what she said to him but he comes in says he was very surprised at my Oncotype because I was a grade 3 and that at my age (52) I would be foolish not to take this drug because it the cancer came back it is incurable. What the heck!!! At no point did I EVER say I wasn't going to take it and spent the rest of the freakin visit on the defense and never did get any of my questions answered. Frustrated to tears with this whole dang process!!!

• patty9999
    patty9999 Member Posts: 43

tjh - Me, too with less side effects from name brand than generic. Onc has no explanation but has agreed to write scripts for name brand. Although, insurance company puts me through hoops every time I try to fill. Onc has told me I'm done with five years and ok to go off it now. But, we discussed my staying on a while longer and she is OK with that. Trying to get past stressful period. Then, will go off for a few weeks to a month and see how I feel.

• patty9999

vettegirl - I had problems with my right leg about two years ago. I was three years into taking generic Arimidex and had been okay. Not without side effects, but manageable knowing it was short term. One day I went to stand and my leg collapsed under me. When I went to stand realized I couldn't straighten my leg. At the time was doing pt for bulging disc in my back. She said it seemed like my IT band. After seeing a doc, we added PT for that. Sometimes I could walk, sometimes I couldn't. But, after reading about "trigger finger" issues with Arimidex and it sounding so much like what was happening with my leg, I asked if I could go off Arimidex (generic) to see. Within two days of no Arimidex I had no problems with my leg. I asked to be switched to name brand and haven't had a problem since except when I tried again on generic (due to costs. I have an HSA medical plan.). I am currently on name brand and just passed my five years at Thanksgiving. It doesn't sound like your issue, but just thought I'd let you know my experience. I hope you find relief soon.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Grrrr . . . a nurse practitioner and doctor that jump to conclusions and don't answer your questions? Frustrating when you already have a lot to deal with. I am fortunate that my MO is "old school" and spends a lot of time answering my questions. No care is handed off to a PA or nurse practitioner. His schedule does often run behind though but I don't mind as I know he'll take the time he needs with me. I work at being organized and always come with a written list of questions

• patty9999

My doc is the same way. Always behind, but I don't mind as I know she will answer every single question I have and not be impatient. It makes a big difference in your attitude about the disease and your control over it. Can you change doctors? Or, maybe just tell them how you feel. They may not realize they are being that way. They probably answer the same questions day after day and get back tired of it. I recently had an appt scheduled with my doc and had a million questions about stopping my Arimidex and changing to annual visits and my concerns about my future. They had changed my appt to the brand new (to me) NP. She told me she was capable of answering all my questions the same as my doc and she did, but I still wanted to hear it from my doc. So, she fit me in to see her right then and I talked to her about everything I'd already discussed with the NP. That's what I consider a great doc. She really didn't have time to see me. But, knew I was concerned and made time for me. I go back in a year now and feel much better.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Oh my . . . changing to appointments just once a year. Anxiety producing for me. My MO had asked awhile back if moving to every six months rather than every four would be all right. I said no. When he asked why, I said "because I'd get too anxious". Now as time as passed, I'm moving to appointments every six months but know I can get in if I have a concern or worries.

• tjh

Brutersmom....Prayers are coming your way.....

• tjh

Deba1....I can't relate to a doctor who doesn't talk and answer questions. My oncologist is always running late because she spends a lot of time with questions and discussions about concerns. But....if they are always like that a second opinion on the issue might help. I found and continue to find the whole issue terrifying especially as my anniversary and mammogram is approaching.

• tjh

I do not see an NP, only oncologist...I am not sure the cancer center I go to has NPs.....

• pboi
    pboi Member Posts: 148

Patty9999...just wondering what side effects improved for you when you switched from generic to name brand?

PB

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434

The scale says I gained 4.8 lbs this week. There was nothing particularly unusual about my diet or level of exercise. This, of course, is on top of the ten lbs I gained during chemo. Sigh. How can this be? Could it be the Arimidex?

Octogirl

• pontiacpeggy

Octogirl, FIVE pounds in one week? Wow! And you don't feel bloated or anything? That's weird. I've no clue if Arimidex could do it or not. I'm sure someone here will know. How discouraging since I gather you're not thrilled about it. :(

HUGS!

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434

no, i feel the same Peggy. Maybe the scale is broken. Once can only hope! :-)

Hugs

Octogirl

• TikkasMom
    TikkasMom Member Posts: 32

I've gained 6+ lbs in 6 weeks on Anastrozole!

• pontiacpeggy

Octogirl, I'm sure your scale must be broken. BTW, I haven't gained weight on anastrozole. I gained weight - about 6 pounds but that was due to a lessening (somewhat) of stress in my life and I was far less active (not having to toss my 200 lbs DH around caring for him).

HUGS!

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

I've gained 6 lbs in three months on anastrozole, all in my mid section.

• Chris13
    Chris13 Member Posts: 112

Brutersmon,prayers for you from me, too.

• patty9999

pboi - Mostly that I haven't had a spec of problem with my friend IT band since stopping the generic. Other than that I think things are about the same. Feel like I'm 78 instead of 58 most days. Of course, being told this summer I need both knees replaced doesn't help in the pain issue. I had an MRI on the worst knee two years ago and nothing was said then.

• TTfan
    TTfan Member Posts: 162

Hi all - I'm new to this thread and have read back quite a ways. I'm 59, just stopped arimidex after 9 months because of severe joint pain - hands, knees and hips mostly, fatigue, weight gain, moodiness and trouble with focus and memory, all of which was getting worse rather than better over time. I was having a really tough time just getting through the day, not able to motivate myself to do even minimal exercise. I've been off just over 2 weeks and already feel like a new woman! I'm back to the gym, I'm focused at work and my mood is great. Still have some joint pain, but nothing a Naprosyn or two can't take care of. My MO is suggesting Tamoxifen after a 2 month drug holiday, but I know the AIs are statistically a little better.

Has anyone gone from generic arimidex to name brand Anastrazole and done significantly better? Any other suggestions for me? I just can't imagine going back to feeling that way again even though I understand the recurrence risk issues.

• carolyn62
    carolyn62 Member Posts: 51

Praying for you, Brutersmom. I hope you get answers and relief soon.

Has anyone had severe diarrhea as a side effect? I had most of my rectum removed two years ago due to stage 1 cancer. No radiation or Chemo that time. I've been having terrible diarrhea for a few days and have been taking a lot of Imodium with no relief