Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Moon I stuck out Anastrozole for 3 years till I made the switch. Have you thought about trying others?

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

Regarding the Tonic Water for quinine, though I don't mind the taste, I many times just add it to some juice (anykind) (half juice, half tonic water) and drink it that way. I also add it to a glass of wine if I have a brand that is too tart or dry (2/3 wine, 1/3 tonic water).

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Lago, I've thought about it, but with my history of outlier SEs I'll try sticking with the one s I know I can handle. My kidney stones were, of course, atypical. LOL. They don't know what they are. LOL and with my pacemaker, diabetes and joint problems, it's probably better not to stir the pot. None of my SES are impossible to live with and I don't even know if the joint pain is from arthritis or the AI. I do know my last Dexa in November was actually BETTER than the one immediately after chemo. And with the CT for the stones, my spine is still considered mild. So I'm gonna stay put. Recommend others try other AIs if need be though

• MEG2
    MEG2 Member Posts: 25

Hi Ladies, hoping that you may have some remedies (home, natural, OTC, or medical) for the SE's I am experiencing from Arimidex. I started with this med in mid June 2015 after 14 months on Tamoxifen. I had no side effects to speak of on Tamoxifen but as the months have worn on the side effects from Arimidex seem to be getting worse. Dry mouth: I am using biotene tooth paste and biotene rinse at night plus drinking water daily (and at night). Apparently I am snoring and it is quite noisy...this coming from my kids; I snored in my past life but infrequently and not as bad. The dry mouth is manageable but quite uncomfortable especially at night and early am. Any comments on other remedies to help dry mouth?

Vaginal dryness: Very uncomfortable. I've used Replens with only minor success, my PCP prescribed a steroid cream for the burning and itching but that is to be used sporadically so not all that helpful. I've tried an OTC Cortaid cream but Doc says not to over use. I just want something to relieve the discomfort and the Docs don't seem to have much of a response. It seems like this shouldn't be so complicated but apparently there doesn't seem to be much on the market to assist. I am hoping you all may have some suggestions.

I've had minor issues with joint pain, mostly in feet and hands; this always subsides with movement and exercise so this SE isn't as concerning to me as the others. I can't imagine another 9 years on this...seems daunting. Thanks in advance for any advice

Smile

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Might want to do a sleep apnea study for the snoring. PCP can order it, not awful at all. Then, if you do have it, the sleep mask can have a humidifier added, solve dry mouth.

The other, sorry, I'm no help.

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

MEG2, I had to change brands of Arimidex as I had extreme dry mouth & terrible joint problems. I was using Biotene everything & putting chapstick on my lips 20+ times a day & still my lips were peeling. My brand Taro is made in Canada so that doesn't help you, but try another brand. My MO called it an allergic reaction to one of the fillers.

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269

For vaginal dryness I've been using Organic Virgin Coconut Oil twice a day. Seems to work for me.

I'm experiencing terrible joint and muscle pain since starting Arimidex in January. Any suggestions for relief would be greatly appreciated.

• HappyHammer
    HappyHammer Member Posts: 985

Smurf- I am taking Claritin and alleve daily for joint pain and trying to move more. Also, you might try Pontiac Peggy's "Drunken Raisin" recipe....lots of people say it really helps! Hugs.

• bjb01
    bjb01 Member Posts: 46

smurfette.....personally, I'm a HUGE Crisco shortening fan.  at the advise of a specialty practice at St Louis University, I have been using it 2-3 times per day for about 4 years. after my hysterectomy, I had horrible problems with yeast infections and Crisco was just one of the things that was suggested.  I swear by it.  For the trochanter bursitis (BOTH HIPS) and for my hands I use 200 mg of Celebrex.  The side effects from it are almost non exsistent (a VERY good thing since Everything seems to have another issue associated with it)  I use it sparingly and just suck up a lot of the SE that I experience.  Anything beats chemo and rad..........the Aromasin is just a necessary evil in my book.  Certainly being able to have good sex helps just about anything :):)

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

MEG, I have tried a lot of products and the two that works the best for me for vaginal dryness/atrophy is KeyE (vitamin E suppositories in coconut oil) and Gynatrof. Gynatrof is Canadian so I order online through a Canadian pharmacy. it works almost as well as Estrace Vaginal estrogen cream did pre Breast Cancer. I buy it here

• Suz-Q
    Suz-Q Member Posts: 110

Molly, You are a wealth of information! Where do you find with these items? I'm looking forward to trying out both!

• bjb01

my gyn as well as my MO gave me the OK to use vagifem.  they were sure to put on the table that  I understand the slight risk...and I do.  It's NOT systemic and that keeps the risk minimal.  Now, will I think that IF there is a reoccurrence? it's something that I'm willing to risk.  a good, fulfilling and healthy sex life is something that I waited 50 years to find.  At the end of the day it's about balance and risk vs benefits.  whether its the SE of Aromasin or the slight risk of vagifem.  we have to weigh those options in our own minds and hearts.  I'm diligent about the Crisco as a moisturizer and then use olive oil as a lubricant.  the recommended dosage of the vagifem is every 4 days.  I chose to use it every 6.  so far, so good :)  never loose sight that WE have options and make these decisions everyday.

• Molly50

bjb01, that's great your MO is allowing you to choose. Mine says no way. I am 90% ER positive. The American College of Gynecologists recently came out for allowing vaginal estrogen in breast cancer patients with some limitations. I admit recently I used a tiny bit of my Estrace after not keeping up with my routine. It got me back on course. Suzy-Q, I really like the Gynatrof. I found out about it on another thread here on BCO. Everyone is a wealth of information.

• tessu
    tessu Member Posts: 1,294

I want to reassure people worried about AIs that not everybody gets SEs:

Even my doc warned that I'd be getting "horrible" SEs from anastrazole, but I've been on it for 2 1/2 months and still don't feel anything I could blame on the AI. Yes, I am still fighting horrible brain fog (especially memory-and concentration problems) and tiredness/low exercise tolerance/too-easy fatigue, but all of that started during my three doses of FEC chemo, in other words a whole month before beginning the AI. And those symptoms are very slowly but steadily easing. I take the anastrazole at bedtime because I have so much other stuff in the morning (thyroid, calcium, vitamin D, heart med, and usually naprosyn for lymphedema pain)

• Sloan15
    Sloan15 Member Posts: 845

Molly - my doc said no estrogen lubes, either. I was telling my DH about the organic coconut oil, and he volunteered to help try different things. Haha. He's never going to look at that jar of coconut oil or Crisco the same now.

I'm using Astroglide. Does anyone know if there's estrogen in that? I was under the impression that it is water-based like KY. Anyone know?

• Fearless1956
    Fearless1956 Member Posts: 41

My SE's remain mild after one month on anastrozole.  I mainly get the shin splint type pain and hot flashes.  I've also had some mild headaches from time to time.........anyone else experience that?  I'm thankful they aren't worse and I remind myself, "I can deal with this!  It's better than having a cancer recurrence."  Patoo---thanks for the idea of adding tonic water (diet for me) to red wine.  I used to drink vodka and diet tonic but have switched to red wine, so I could easily add the diet tonic to the wine and see if it helps the shin splint pain to subside.  As far as the vaginal dryness topic, I want to suggest a product that my husband and I have used.  I've had some vaginal dryness for a few years (prior to DCIS dx and prior to AI treatment) and we have used a lubricating product called Wet Platinum.  It is silicone based and works very well.  It's available for purchase from Amazon.  It may seem a little pricey, but it doesn't require a lot during intercourse.  I don't know all of the ingredients so need to check on that and make sure there's no estrogen in it. 

• HappyHammer

Sloan- glad your DH is so willing to help you out, haha! Seriously, though, "Astroglide"? Now that is funny. Going to mention the coconut oil and Crisco to my DH tonight. Think he will be smiling all the way to the pantry.

• Molly50

Sloan, Astroglide is safe. It is what was recommended to me. Have fun experiementing!

• MEG2
    MEG2 Member Posts: 25

Ladies, thanks for the tips! I've jotted down the OTC options for vaginal issues and will definitely try the coconut oil, seems simple enough. I had tried that before but fell off the wagon before I had any results.

The humidifier is a great suggestion for the dry mouth issue. I was hoping to avoid a sleep apnea test just because I'm so darn tired of doctor visits and tests and all the other things that remind me I had cancer ~ no complaints; I am happy to be here and know there are ladies on this very site who have way more difficult struggles. Once my life calms down a bit (in the process of selling/closing on one house and moving, buying/closing another) I'll have to make that appointment and see if that direction leads me anywhere. Best wishes to all of you struggling along with me in these SE's.

Peace

• lago

Astroglide! Also Replens. My Nurse practitioner recommended Replens. It definitely helped me. I don't even need it anymore.

Replens® Long-Lasting Vaginal Moisturizer - 8 Count

• chrissie29
    chrissie29 Member Posts: 81

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. My MO just switched me yesterday to anastrozole after being on tamoxifen for just over a year. I have the sheet on side effects, but curious how bad the side effects have been? Hair thinning? Constipation? Bone Pain? Thanks in advance.

Chrissie

• bjb01

chrissie29......as you can see everyone's SE are quite different. For me, I ended up with trochanter bursitis in both hips, my hands are killing me (no grip as the joints hurt terribly) and the constipation was horrific. after 3 months my MO had me take a 6 week break. the constipation was totally gone within a week. the joint issues...not so much. But I can live with that!!!! He switched me to aromasin and constipation has NOT been an issue at all. it's all about balance and what one is willing to tolerate. joint pain interrupts sleep (on top of insomnia) but for me it's something that I am ok with. Unrelenting constipation was impossible to live with. stool softeners, laxatives and then STILL needing an enema on day 5 or 6 routinely? NOT for me :):) at the end of the day, I hate what this makes me feel like and hate what it has done to my body. BUT...........I'm here to tell about it. Hopefully it will be a positive change and something that you can manage in the long run................. :):)

• Suz-Q
    Suz-Q Member Posts: 110

Hi Chrissie, It's scary to read about the SE's! I had a fuzzy brain for the first week or so, but that went away quickly and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary since. Keep an open mind about it. You may not have any side effects. There are some things you can do and take to diminish them if you end up getting them.

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

Chrissie...the SE effects for me are doable. I do take brand name Arimidex because I had a lot of joint pain in the beginning. I have some joint pain when I get up but after a few steps it is gone. It was worse at the beginning. I don't have anything else for SE. I feel good, finally. Remember they put everything, anyone had ever had on the info sheets. Good luck!

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Chrissie, Welcome! I've been very lucky and had no SEs. I've been on anastrozole for nearly 1-1/2 years. My hair is thinning some but so did my grandmother's so I can't say that it is the Arimidex. I take the generic made by Teva since many have found that the fillers don't cause issues like some other generics do. Don't anticipate having SEs. You may not have any! If you have them, we'll be here.

HUGS!

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Christie, Welcome! I also take the brand name.....direct from Astro Zeneka. No problems that I can blame on Arimidex. Don't worry!

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184

Somehow this popped up in my puter, just to let you know I finished up my arimidex almost ten years ago now...good luck to everyone..There is life after arimidex...

• lago

congrats on 10+ years SoCalLisa!

• HappyHammer

Hello All- Have posted this on two other threads but wanted to get the word out.

Am sending you a link to a video about BPA found in most canned goods, plastic containers and wraps and the estrogen connection. Very interesting. We use try to use mostly glass, don't use many canned goods- but we do use plastic containers for storing food. We have almost stopped using the microwave altogether. Anyway, wanted to share this for what it's worth.

https://www.facebook.com/eligio.bishop/videos/1015...

• Fionascottie
    Fionascottie Member Posts: 56

I've been taking Arimidex for a year now and have had a number of side effects....joint pain at first, nausea off and on, and hot flashes once or twice a day...but in recent days I have suddenly started having back muscle fatigue/pain by the middle of the day. It feels much better if I can lie dawn and rest and ibuprophen helpsimmensely, but this is a bothersome SE because when it starts I can't think about anything else! I read that back pain IS a possible side effect of Arimidex. Have any of you dealt with this?