Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

I am taking calcium with magnesium and zinc for better absorption once per day along with 2000 IU of D3. My dexascan was normal ranges.

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532

http://meetinglibrary.asco.org/content/136932-151

Many of us have wondered whether we'll have to stay on the AIs for 10 years. I saw this article about monitoring circulating tumor cells after treatment, and if they increase it could be a sign of a recurrence.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

I too have decided not to take an anti hormone. This is not a popular subject on this board. Im more comfortable talking about it in private. Anyone interested in more details can private message me. I would be happy to share. Good luck to everyone battling this disease. No matter what their treatment decisions may be....

• dtad

Linda just to be clear....if you do take the anti hormones and your cancer returns its still incurable. Stage 4 is stage 4 no matter how you get there!

• Duzy
    Duzy Member Posts: 65

Sloan15 - that is the same thing my MO said to take the calcium twice a day 630 mg and then 1 Vit D 3000 a day. I am 53 and was also at a -1 so they said I will be fine on this regimen. I had a bone scan at 50 and it was normal. I first have to get my Vit D back up because it dropped to 15 after chemo so I am currently taking one pill weekly at 50000 IU for 8 weeks then they will check again. I don't think they plan on doing another bone scan for a year. How long have you been taking the hormone pill? I just started so hoping not to many issues with i

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

I am 58, my DR says rake calcium 2× daily. My bone scan was done last fall after 3 months...bones were well within normal range. Repeat test in 1 year.

• Sloan15
    Sloan15 Member Posts: 845

Does anyone get burning or soreness on the arm? I changed brands of anastrozole and now my arm has a burning patch or sore spot (3x3 patch) on the back of my arm. The website says burning skin could be a SE, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had this.

• lvillee
    lvillee Member Posts: 1

Does anyone know if Arimidex is gluten free?

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Ivillee, I suspect it depends on the manufacturer. That could be why some women have reactions to the fillers in the pills. They all have fillers. Just differ in what is in the filler. Perhaps you can discover what the fillers are on that manufacturer's website info on anastrozole. Good luck!

HUGS!

• maureenb
    maureenb Member Posts: 47

Took 2 years of Tamoxifen after dx/treatments and did not ever have a period while on it. (I am 48). After my last CT scan showed some thickening of my endometrium, my MO decided to switch me to Arimidex, thinking I am probably in menopause and that the Tamoxifen may be causing the thickening. Well, one month into Arimidex and guess what? I just got my period! What's going on? Anyone else have this? What does it mean? Left message for MO today and hope to hear back tomorrow.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

maureenb I would also call your gynocologist and/or your primary care.

• LM070917
    LM070917 Member Posts: 68

Just started Arimidex today, a bit nervous but looking forward to the next chapter of my treatment plan. Hopefully the side effects won't be too bad. I'm also taking it alongside zoladex and Zometa, the latter which is an infusion adminstered every 6 months to protect my bones

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596

Maureen - When I switched from Tamoxifen to Femara last April after my ooph and D&C I started bleeding lightly about a month in and it continued until August. In the meantime I did see my gyn and since I had just had the D&C she was confident there was no cancer and that the uterus was just shedding from the thickening Tamoxifen caused. She was right. Best wishes. Chances are it is just you getting over the spell of being on Tamoxifen.

• notadaygoesby
    notadaygoesby Member Posts: 5

Question- I started taking Arimidex on 02/15/2016. Dr. gave me a 4 week break from Tamoxifen before starting on Arimidex. Does anyone find that around evening time about 8pm they become very restless and antsy? I get like that, where I feel like I'm climbing out of my skin. When I finally go to bed around 10:30, I can't fall asleep. The joint pain is also catching up with me and I'm not liking it. Dr said to give it 6months, that's when some people find it easier to tolerate!

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

My legs will get restless in the evenings but is usually when I have either walked a lot on hard pavement in the wrong shoes or if I have had any caffeine. As far as pain mine is better when I walk in the evening.

• Sloan15

Anyone get sore throats on AI's? I read it as a SE, and I'm noticing a sore throat often. Did it eventually go away?

• HappyHammer
    HappyHammer Member Posts: 985

So, in past week have noticed a rash on my feet and swollen ankles....MO and PA said they had no idea what the rash might be as of last week before Herceptin infusion.....but, am wondering if it is AI related as have never had this before. Swollen ankles usually happens week three before new Herceptin infusion but goes away soon after...still swollen...and rash....anyone??

• PNY
    PNY Member Posts: 90

Sloan15, I don't have a sore throat but I do have a hoarse voice. No pain just my voice is raspy. I was wondering if that was a side effect. In the end I decided to have an endoscopy just to make sure its nothing else like silent reflux. I never had that but who knows now with the Anastrozole.

Good luck hope you feel better.

Phyllis

• pennsygal
    pennsygal Member Posts: 264

Sloan, do you have a dry mouth also? I wonder if the sore throat is from the drying effects of AIs?

• Molly50

Sloan, are you taking Claritin with the Anastrozole? I had to stop even though it helped with joint pain because I was sooooo dry.

• Sloan15

Molly - Good point, I did take a Claritin (D even) because I had post nasal drip yesterday! I won't take anything today and see if it settles down. Thanks for the tip!

• Fearless1956
    Fearless1956 Member Posts: 41

I haven't posted in awhile but have continued to read and review posts. The worst side effects I'm having with the anastrozole (Accord brand for now) are aching legs during the night, mainly in my calves. When I get up at night and when I get up in the morning after I've had a night of discomfort, I am so stiff. I've started keeping a log of when I have the pain during the night so I can provide my MO with enough info when I see her again in June. I haven't had a sore throat but have noticed in the past month or so that if I'm laughing too hard that I end up coughing and feeling like I can't catch my breath. I have no idea if this is related to the medication or not. I guess anything that occurs that I haven't had before, I attribute to anastrozole.

• Molly50

I am putting myself on an anastrozole vacation. I can't take feeling like this and I need to know it's all the med and not something else. I will drop MO an email to let him know. For those starting don't worry I think I am gradually having some issues that are worsening with time. That doesn't mean you will have problems.

• lago

Molly I found the issues got worse over time so I stopped for a month. Sure enough pain was gone, also the depression. Told my MO I wasn't going back on it (total of 3 years). She switched me to Exemestane (Aromasin).

It's been 2 years and I'm still on it doing much much better. We are now discussing another 5 years starting in May.

• Molly50

Lago, thank you! I am truly hoping my issues clear up off the anastrozole. I don't want to live the rest of my days miserable. I am glad you are doing better on aromasin

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 948

Molly,

Have you considered trying a different drug. I switched to Femara while I resolved the issue with my insurance company after my allergic reaction to anastrozole by Accord. I felt better on anastrozole then Femara. Might be worth considering after your vacation. I am back on Anastozole by Teva.

• Molly50

Brutersmom, I will consider whatever my MO suggests except for tamoxifen. I don't think I can tolerate that due to stroke and heart disease in my family.

• Sloan15

Awww, shoot, Molly. I hope you feel better on something else.

• lago

Molly my MO hates Tamoxifen. She said to me when I was considering switching to it "Well it's better than nothing."

Loopy

• dtad

lago...thats really interesting because mine said there is very little difference in Tamoxifen and aromatase inhibitor. Wish they could all agree!