Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

I believe recent studies have confirmed that AI's are better than tamoxifen for post menopausal E positive. Still Tamoxifen was a miracle drug for a friend who was definitely post meno. I would rather try another AI first.

• neogirl
    neogirl Member Posts: 54

I was put on Tamoxifen for my 1st drug since my dx. Became post-meno, about 2 years after starting Tamoxifen. MO still kept me on the Tamoxifen even through I was post-menopausal for 5 more years because it was still working. So, I was on the tamoxifen for a total of 7 years til it just recently stopped working. Just recently switched to Arimidex. Hoping for a long run on this drug now. So far, no side effects on this one. But I really didn't have have any side effects except for a few hot flashes on the Tamoxifen either.

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596

Wishing you a long long run on Arimidex too neogirl. That sure is a cute puppy in your profile. It he/she a Weimaraner

• neogirl

Farmerlucy, No, that is a Neopolitian Mastiff puppy. That pic is from when she was 2 months old. She is now 2 years old and weighs in a slim 160 lbs.

• Sloan15
    Sloan15 Member Posts: 845

neogirl - how did the docs tell when the Tam stopped working?

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Sloan, I asked my MO how we could tell if my Arimidex is working. He said you can't. If you get a recurrence, then it didn't work. Rather disappointing and scary. I assume the same for Tamoxifen and all the AIs since many of us don't have tumor markers that can be measured through blood tests.

HUGS!

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

Peggy....I know there is no way to screen for recurrences but I believe they can test to see if your estrogen levels are low. The MOs just don't do it!......

• neogirl

Sloan, My tumor markers were rising slightly every 2 months and my bone scan showed some progression. My markers were staying around the 20-30 range and then the last 6months,, they started going up 20 at a time to finally got they to about 120 and he switched me to a new drug.

• pontiacpeggy

My estrogen levels have never been checked. Hmmm.

HUGS!

• Molly50

Mine were checked in January. -6 was the result.

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

I don't understand what estrogen levels would have to do with finding mets. Can someone explain this to me? I've only had my estrogen levels checked once when they wanted to switch me to an AI from tamoxifen. thanks, GG

• dtad

Peggy my theory on that is oncologists are not endocrinologists and actually do not know a whole lot about hormones. Ideally they should be working with endocrinologists because anti hormone therapy is such a large part of treatment...

• dtad

GG27 no what we are saying is checking your estrogen levels can tell us if the anti hormones are working to lower our estrogen which is their job. Screening for mets is another subject....

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

Ok, I thought the conversation was about screening for recurrence & I didn't understand how estrogen levels would tell that the tamoxifen hadn't been working for me. :( I will have to ask about that. thx, GG

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596

neogirl -160#! My five dogs together don't weigh that!

Now I understand your screen name. Love big doggies!

• KarenR0618
    KarenR0618 Member Posts: 36

What test should be done before starting the hormonal therapy? I am still doing radiation and at the end of the month I go back to the MO. She asked me Wedsneday what I thought about starting one of the hormonal therapies. Do you have a bone scan and blood workup before starting? I am looking into the next path of this journay.

• pontiacpeggy

Karen, I had a bone scan before starting anastrozole. No bloodwork though. I was 69 at that time if it matters.

HUGS!

• Molly50

Karen, I had a Dexascan done for bone density prior to starting Anastrozole.

• Sloan15

I had the DEXA bone density scan, and my new MO is checking estradiol and FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) to make sure I am in menopause as I was perimenopausal before chemo. The AI's do not limit hormones from the ovaries -Tamoxifen or menopause does that- but once you are in menopause AI's bond with hormones produced in the breast tissue and other fat tissue. So, Tam works better at limiting estrigen before menopause and AIs work better after menopause.

• Duzy
    Duzy Member Posts: 65

Karen I had the exact same tests as Sloan50 before starting. They want to make sure you are through menopause before deciding on which treatment. I am one week in and no difference so I will continue to believe it will stay this wa

• Sloan15

neogirl - which tumor marker went up? My CEA is high, but all the others are in the normal range. I'm hoping with the AI the CEA marker goes down. I had a colonoscopy, had a couple polyps, but nothing else that CEA is linked to besides the breasts. The literature also says benign breast disease can increase CEA, and I always have 5-10 cysts they take pictures of or biopsy, but I don't know if that is benign breast disease and would elevate CEA. My bone density DEXA was at -1.1 (oeteopenia starts at -1 and osteoporosis starts at -2.5), but I don't know if that's the cancer or my not taking calcium. So, I'm on calcium and vit D 2x a day. So, the MO is following my CEA, and I'm hoping the AIs bring that down.

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269

I also had a bone density scan before starting Arimidex. Fortunately my bones are very good.

My Oncologist said that menopausal status should be tested and determined before commencing chemo. He said if it's done after chemo the results can be inaccurate.

• KarenR0618
    KarenR0618 Member Posts: 36

I was surgically put in Menopause at 36. I am 55 now. I guess the worry would be my bones now. Thanks everyone.

• AG3
    AG3 Member Posts: 71

Hi.

I finished rads three weeks ago and started on anastrazole last night. I was advised by onco to take it at night so I won't "feel" the effects. Hope he's right.:p

I am also to take Oscal D3 3x a day.

I had a Dexa scan after chemo. My estradiol, fsh, and tumor markers are also being checked.

Thanks for all the posts. So helpful!

• pontiacpeggy

AG3, I always take my anastrozole in the morning. When I first started reading this thread nearly 2 years ago several people mentioned it kept them awake. Didn't want that so started it in the morning. It does not keep me awake and morning works better for me anyway.

HUGS!

• neogirl

Sloan- my MO does the CA 27-29 test and that was the one he was relying on and said was going up. I don't know of any other tumor marker test. Is there other tumor marker tests?

• Sloan15

Neogirl - My old MO did CA-15-3 and CEA. My new MO does 27.29 (which measures same protein as ca-15-3). The CEA is usually for colon cancer, but sometimes elevates for breast, ovarian, prostate and one other.Most MO's do no testing unless there are symptoms or to monitor meds because it stresses people out!

• AG3
    AG3 Member Posts: 71

Peggy, thank you. I will see if it keeps me awake and will update here.

hugs!

• pontiacpeggy

AG3, It could be that it has nothing to do with keeping you awake. I have no problems with it at all. I'm not sure what "effects" your MO thinks taking it at night will prevent or make less noticeable unless it is that. Oh well. I'm just thankful I can take anastrozole to prevent my BC from returning.

HUGS!

• Goodie16
    Goodie16 Member Posts: 297

Sloan, my MO also does the CA 27.29. My numbers have been low and I'm currently NED.

Before starting on Arimidex, I had a bone scan and my estrogen and FISH levels checked. I was put into menopause via Lupron injections after not being able to tolerate Tamoxifen. I was 50 at time of DX and am now 52.