Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Duzy
    Duzy Member Posts: 65

so picked up my prescription today for Anastrozole 1 mg tablet generic name they said is APTX. Anyone taking that brand or heard of it. Of course they forgot to include the detail sheet with side effects and stuff so I am taking that as I won't have any. One can hope. I finish rads next week then they said to wait a week and start

Conni

• Suz-Q
    Suz-Q Member Posts: 110

Hi Duzy, I finished rads mid January. I've been on Anastrozole for two months now with no side effects. What part of Michigan are you from? I'm as south east as you can get

• Duzy
    Duzy Member Posts: 65

Great to hear on the SE's. I am taking the positive approach that I will not notice any. I live just north of Grand Rapids. I have been loving the weather here this past week. We are close enough to Lake Michigan that we usually get the Lake Effect Snow Storms but not this year. It was nice to not have to deal with during all of these treatments. Ready to move on to the next phase.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

If you want to know who makes your Anastrozole look here: linky source. Note that just because it says USA doesn't mean it's a USA company. Teva is headquartered in Israel.

White Round A7 - Anastrozole 1mg Tablet

Anastrozole 1mg Tablet
    This medicine is a white, round tablet imprinted with "A7". and is manufactured by BluePoint Laboratories.

White Round 1 And 3Rp - Anastrozole 1mg Tablet

Anastrozole 1mg Tablet
    This medicine is a white, round tablet imprinted with "3RP" and "1". and is manufactured by Orchid Pharma/Karalex Pharma, LLC.

White Round Teva And A10 - Anastrozole 1mg Tablet
    Anastrozole 1mg Tablet
    This medicine is a white, round tablet imprinted with "TEVA" and "A10". and is manufactured by Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc.

White Round Ahi - Anastrozole 1mg Tablet
    Anastrozole 1mg Tablet
    This medicine is a white, round tablet imprinted with "AHI". and is manufactured by Accord Healthcare, Inc..

White Round A1 - Anastrozole 1mg Tablet
    Anastrozole 1mg Tablet
    This medicine is a white, round tablet imprinted with "A1". and is manufactured by Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Inc..

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

speaking of quinine, I love mine with or without the gin, but have to have some lime juice with it to make it palatable. My sugar levels have been pretty high now that I have been on the A1 for 8 months, has anyone else have this issue? My cholesterol is also up, but I won't do statins. My heart doctors has said to go with the 81 mg of aspirin daily for health reasons and has not pushed statins at all. Dry dry skin is the only other factor that is not normal.

• chrissie29
    chrissie29 Member Posts: 81

Thanks for all of the feedback on side effects. On Day 3 and no side effects yet. I thought I would get put on a biphosphate (? spelling) with this medication. Does anyone take this with anastrozole? Should I be asking for this too?

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

happy. Thanks for posting this video, always knew cans were not good for us, and already know you can't trust the FDA. Plastic is the old evil. It should be banned everywhere..

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

My fasting levels of glucose are okay but the HgbA1C have risen to the bottom of "prediabetes" levels since being on an AI.

• lago

The issue with cans is especially bad with anything acid, like tomatoes. I buy Pomi tomatoes instead:

"It immediately sparked off a revolution because the 100% Italian tomato Pomì was packaged in carton packages. Thirty years later the brand has become a staple and a trusted brand for all those who seek premium quality, Italian tomatoes conveniently sealed in a BPA-free, stay-fresh package, ready to use anytime they want to add the fresh taste of Italian tomatoes to all their favorite recipes."

source linky

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

HappyHammer, Good for you spreading the word. I knew about the effects of canned goods and plastic. I only use glass containers and never bottled water. Wish I had learned this many years ago!

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532

I've become paranoid about plastics too. I had read a couple of months ago that its not just BPA that is dangerous so I think its wise to avoid plastics as much as we can- plus they may be causing weight gain for some reason. I never buy bottled water, milk in plastic, or frozen meals, but still - even fresh stuff is packaged in plastic - meats, cheese, nuts, yogurt.

Chrissie I don't think they put you on the osteoporosis drugs until you show signs of osteoporosis. You'll probably get a baseline dexa scan and then I had another at two years.

I can't believe I've hit the 2.5 year mark. Maybe I'm half way through, although I wouldn't count on it!

Starting to get some neck aches the last three weeks. Anyone encounter that specifically? My theory is the anastrazole makes us more prone to problems and then mine has been aggravated by too much staring at phone and i pad, just like I got the trigger thumb after using a bad mouse and holding my phone a lot. I'm trying to stop so I don't run into a persistent problem.

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

Lew died this afternoon. He fell off our roof Wednesday morning and landed on his face on the concrete sidewalk, severe bleeding in his brain. Had surgery, was on a respirator. He was worse again this morning, the doctors had a conference with the whole family and explained the poor prognosis and we were all in agreement to stop the respirator, which we did. We were all with him and his sister had a video on her phone of her and his mother singing Jesus Loves Me that they played by his ear, there wasn't a dry eye in the room. We had hoped he'd be able to donate his corneas but his eyes were so swollen that wasn't possible. We're hoping to have a Mar 25 (Good Friday) memorial service, but need to see if that works for the funeral home. My cousin picked up my dad and brought him here for a visit, at 89 I didn't want him driving here alone.

I'm in such a fog. I held together pretty well most of the time at the hospital where I could be in "nurse mode" as his advocate, but can break into sobs at the least thing here at home.

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641

Puffin - how sad for you all... I pray you find comfort in wonderful memories of better times..

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700

Oh , Puffin. I am so sorry to read this. My thoughts are with you.

• lago

OMG Puffin. I'm so sorry to hear this.

Chrissie & TwoHobbies I know my rheumatologist said I should have started the AIs sooner even though I was just (higly in spine) osteopenic. Being on an AI increases your risk. Also some oncologists can write it up in such a way that they get it through.

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

((((Puffin)))) My most sincere condolences to you and your family. It must be such a shock. You will be in my prayers.

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532

Puffin, so sorry. May you be surrounded by loved ones.

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596

Oh Puffin! Oh no! That is terrible. What a shock. I'm so very sorry. I'm so glad you told us. Praying for your comfort.

• biscuits
    biscuits Member Posts: 2,158

Puffin2014... I am so very, very sorry. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Gentle hugs are coming your way ((())

• HappyHammer
    HappyHammer Member Posts: 985

Puffin- thank you for sharing this. What a horrific shock for you all! Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434

Puffin, I am so, so very sorry for your loss and send deepest condolences. You and your family are in my thoughts, and in all of our thoughts. I get the holding it together and falling apart stuff. Please take care of yourself.

Sending gentle hugs and lots of light!

Octogirl

• leowhett
    leowhett Member Posts: 1

I have been on Armidex for 9 months, My worst side effect has been urinary issues including increased urination, incontinence, bladder spasms and vaginal atrophy and pain during intercourse. My MO said it was ok to use the E string vaginal ring. I started on this for 1 week and it has improved my issues significantly. However upon further research it seems that not all Drs agree that the vaginal ring is safe for use in breast cancer patients and may actually contribute to recurrence. Has anyone else used this therapy and been told it was safe?

• ChicagoReader
    ChicagoReader Member Posts: 54

Puffin, what sad news. My condolences to you and your family.

• bjb01
    bjb01 Member Posts: 46

Leowhett.... Doctors are human and subject to personal opinion. Based on my situation and my goals my ob and my mo gave me the green light. Now, with that in mind, it was accepting the slight risk. There are risk factors in all we do. Vaginal estrogen is NOT systemic. It's local and the risk is low. I cannot state that risk doesn't exist, because it does. I want and need a good and healthy sex life. Not to mention less yeast infections(which plagued me for years) it is a personal choice. I respect my doctors for giving me the facts and helping my decide. I use vagifem as my vaginal aid

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Puffin - I am so very sorry. Surrounding you and your family with comfort and kind wishes.

• Kthielen
    Kthielen Member Posts: 176

puffin, so very sorry to hear this...you must be in complete shock after such a tragic and unexpected thing to happen. Will be praying for you.

I have a question....I started Armidex in October after my hysterectomy/oopherectomy. No side effects for about 2 months then some hip discomfort after first getting up but would only last a few steps and I would be fine. But recently my back kills me by the end of the day or after walking a long time, I have been blaming it on my back incision from my lat flap surgery, also recently I have pain in my fingers and this weird fullness feeling in my fingers. Also my face is sooooo dry, like scaling. I am gobbling on moisturizer. Anyone else have these side effects? I just had a passing out spell last weekend and broke my nose. My blood work showed my WBC count to be only 3.0, It has never been that low, not even on chemo. I am kind of freaking out but trying to keep my cool. With all these side effects I am trying to,stay positive and started thinking maybe it is just side effects from the Armidex?? Trying not to think about the big C, but as you all know our minds go there:/

Kathy

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Puffin, Praying for you and your family in this difficult time.

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 948

Kthielen did you change manufacturers recently?

• Martini
    Martini Member Posts: 11

puffin, such a tragedy...prayers to Lew, you and your loved ones. May you be comforted by family and friends and fond memories in the difficult days ahead.

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

Puffin...Thoughts, prayers and lots of cyber hugs to you!