Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Sloan and Molly, I hope the Teva brand relieves some of your troubling SEs. I've had great luck with it.

HUGS!

• jnu3
    jnu3 Member Posts: 56

I finished radiation yesterday - St. Patrick's Day (luck of the Irish). This morning I started anastrozole. I do not anticipate any side effects though the one that I was most concerned with was "weight gain". I lost 62 pounds and over the last six months between a false diagnosis of Kidney Disease and BC, I put 20 pounds of it back on. I am bound and determined to move forward with losing that 20 pounds and will look to this as the first day of the rest of my life with positive energy.

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

sorry Puffin for your loss. Hubby had a bad fall June 2014 and still has a slow brain, concussion mode, headaches, neck pain, ringing in ears and constant equilibrium issues. So it probably better he I not suffering,

Back to th cans, plastic, I have been war for awhile and try to tell the kis to not buy stuff in that stuff, it is hard to do.

I am taking about 3 weeks off the anastrozol the nurse practitioner agreed,numbing, insomnia, fatigue, wants to see if things get better? So we shall see ho thing go .

• pontiacpeggy

JerseyGirl, that's awful about your DH's fall. Certainly changes your life in an instant, doesn't it? Hope you find relief from your aches, pains and numbness. If you do go back on anastrozole, you might try the brand from Teva or even the namebrand from Astra-Zeneca. Or a different AI altogether.

HUGS!

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532

I'm not discounting that the meds could cause vertigo but just an FYI, my hubby and I both had on and off vertigo for about three weeks and dr said there's a virus going around.

• Katemom
    Katemom Member Posts: 4

Jnu3 - I was worried about the weight gain as well so I returned to Weight Watchers thinking I could head it off. (I am lifetime). Believe it or not, I've lost 8 lbs in 8 weeks. Last week I went up a pound but I know it was from the chocolate chip cookies that I made, the banana bread I ate and a couple of heavy lunches out. Cannot blame it on the medication. So, just eat healthy, exercise and avoid my chocolate chip cookies! (BTW: I am not advertising Weight Watchers - just don't want to gain weight and blame it all on the medication when, in fact, I've done something to contribute to it. :)

• jnu3
    jnu3 Member Posts: 56

I lost a substantial amount of weight between 6/14 and 7/15. I was eating too much protein and made a diet adjustment which put 10 pounds back on. Then the BC diagnosis . I am up another 10 for 20 pounds total. I have every intention of losing it now that I am done with surgery and radiation. I want to thank you for the reassurance that its those pesky cookies or the apple crisp and not the medication.

• NotAgain2015
    NotAgain2015 Member Posts: 70

Hi ladies,

I have been taking anastrozole for about two months now and for the last 2 to 3 weeks I have been so stiff - if I sit still when I start to move again my knees are killing me I'm also having difficulty sleeping at night and I seem to wake up every hour and a half and roll back over and go to sleep. My knees are often aching through the night. My knees aren't in great shape to begin with but nothing like this I've also been starting to work out after DIEP surgery In December. I've also noticed that my teeth hurt All of a sudden I'm feeling very old and tired and I find it really irritating. I don't want to be slowed down so I thought I would come here and post to see if you guys think that this could be the medication ???

I have no choice but to take it this go round. I hated Tamoxifen and took it for 1.5 years and stopped. (Muscle cramps and hot flashes). 2 years after stopping, IDC again (thank God early). I gather there are several versions of this drug we can try. I just don't want to get psyched out about this and stop living my life !!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Not Again I found the stiffness got better after about a year but the sleep issues did not. I also developed other issues. Lasted on Anastrozole for 3 years. I switched to Exemestane (Aromasin). The end of this month makes 2 years on it… and it looks like my MO wants me to do 5 more. No sleep issues or stiffness.

But I did fine on Anastrozole that if you exercise daily it helps. I power walk.

• pontiacpeggy

NotAgain, you might try using the generic anastrozole from Teva. The fillers seem to cause fewer problems. Also, some ladies have found some relief from the stiffness by taking regular Claritin (not decongestant) - you might give it a try. As Lago said, perhaps another AI might cause fewer problems, that's an option too.

HUGS!

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269

NotAgain2015 I have had the same side effects since starting Anastrozole on January the 14th. Some days I can hardly hobble. My joints and muscles ache so badly. The pain stops me from getting to sleep. My legs, feet and ankles are puffy.

I also had insomnia but it seems to have settled now. Constipation was a huge problem for me too initially.

I'm hoping the muscle and joint pain will ease given time. I'm going to try a different brand when I finish the pack I'm taking.

• pennsygal
    pennsygal Member Posts: 264

NotAgain - I had issues on Anastrozole after only a couple of weeks. I recently switched to Exemestane (Aromasin), which seems a little easier to tolerate.

• HappyHammer
    HappyHammer Member Posts: 985

I am a Claritin proponent. Have tried a few days of not taking it and had more pain- so a Claritin a day it is for me. I also usually take an alleve in the mornings. My ankles and legs are a little swollen currently and am going to ask about that with I see the MO on Thursday.

• PNY
    PNY Member Posts: 90

HappyHammer, I took Claritin while on chemo and now I see I have to start taking it again as I fear I am beginning to have the aches and pains from the arimidex. I take the Accord generic Anaztrozole. I just started taking this medication in January and was so happy I had almost no reaction until now. I go to the MO next month and am going to try to make it til then and speak to them about possibly trying another manufacturer. Mostly I have stiffness when I first wake up or get up after sitting for a while (I work at a desk in an office, so sitting is pretty much what I do during the day). I have been trying to take a long walk in the middle of the day when its pretty quiet in the office and its nice outside. IN the past two days I do have actual burning feeling in my shoulder, not sure if its the meds or maybe I did something. Yesterday I did have to scrape the ice from the windows of my car to use it. And I have gone back to the swimming pool (had my exchange 8 weeks ago) and I have been increasing my number of laps daily. AND another new development is a hoarse voice. Feel totally fine just have a very hoarse voice. (had that when I was first on chemo but it totally went away)

Anyone else have burning pain (in their shoulder) or a hoarse voice from the anastrozole?

Thanks

• Cardinal
    Cardinal Member Posts: 10

Popping back in to report back on my sole side effect of rash (affects 8-11%) on brand name Arimidex which started 30 days into taking and progressively spread and became far itchier for a further 4 weeks that I continued it without attributing it to the meds. When I checked in with the MO last week, I was advised to stop taking for a 2 week period and then restart it to see whether I can tolerate it. Will report back after that point - rash and itch steadily reducing!

As an aside, I do think having stepped up my exercise regime has definitely helped overall, and sped up the end of my post rads fatigue. All the best to each of you, Deb

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

I take name brand Arimidex and have limited SE. The main SR is aches and stiffness when I stand. Regular walks seem to help, I also take an occasional Aleve. I have been on it since August. 1 month of generic was hell. Totally different since the switch.

• lindab142
    lindab142 Member Posts: 76

Hi guys,

I went on Anastrozole for 1 week and had to go off. Too many SEs, not sleeping, diarhea, joint pain, and interfering with other meds I take. I see the MO this week, but I don't think I'm going to take anything.

Linda

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596

I stopped Femara after a week in the mountains in the winter. I think this article explains a lot.

http://www.abc.net.au/health/talkinghealth/factbus...

It is comforting to know the sympathetic nerve pain is not doing long term damage. I'm six weeks in and with a morning Alleve and Claritin the joint stuff is acceptable. Not fun, but acceptable.

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

still off anastrozole but insomnia still here, maybe not long enough yet. Joints are still stiff so going back on Claritin for a few days to see if it helps. I have only used the Teva brand so we shall see when I go back to Drs on April 16 th to see if neuropathy is still there. That had gotten worse. I have one last herceptin on the 30th so there is a slight unusual SE of tingling in extremities from that, but if they stay chances are they are from the taxol or carboplatinum . But I have noticed the change in increase on more areas of the feet. And tongue. She will consult with MO for changing or remaining on this A1.

• NotAgain2015
    NotAgain2015 Member Posts: 70

thanks all for your replies. This is frustrating! I'm glad to know this is not just in my head. Hugs to all of you fine ladies!!

• 2b2woods
    2b2woods Member Posts: 2

lindab142: I took it for only 3 days and followed my gut feeling....I stopped taking it. Even though I didn't have any SE at that point, I had read too much about bone problems, etc. My cancer was caught very early. I had radiation but no chemo. I just decided I didn't want to take it.

• tuckersmimi
    tuckersmimi Member Posts: 3

I started taking Arimidex on November 8, 2015. I am 73 years old and to be honest I did suffer from some joint pain before my breast cancer diagnoses in September of 15.
    However since I started taking the drug the bone, joint, muscle pain, and numbness has grown worse. I haven`t slept but a few hours in the last two nights due to terrible leg pain, esp. on my right side.
    To top that last week I took my first ever Prolia shot and I think the pain is ever worse since then.:(
    My surgery was a little less than 6 months ago and I still have soreness, pain, and numbness from that.
    I`ve decided that this is the new me and will be the way I feel everyday for the rest of my life.
    Cancer sucks and I can only pray and wish all of us that was dealt the cancer card as many pain free days as possible.

• Duzy
    Duzy Member Posts: 65

Officially starting - I took my first pill tonight one week post rads. My bottle say Apotex and the pill says APO. That seems different than most brands listed on here. I asked the pharmacist if they had other brands and they said no. Trying to take it at night but will see how things go. I need to start taking Calcium but haven't been to the store yet to purchase. I have been taking a weekly Vitamin D as my blood work showed it to be 15 which is pretty low. I have 3 more weeks and then will get more blood work. Once I am up over 30 I will be on a weekly regimen.

Connie

• pontiacpeggy

Connie, you may not have any trouble with your brand of anastrozole. Are you allowed to go to a different pharmacy? I have to remind Walgreens that I want the one by Teva. Weekly vitamin D? Hmmm. I take 1000 units of D3 three times a day. Have you had a bone scan? How were the results? I take Fosamax to protect my bones. I don't do well on calcium supplements but I know most people do. I take my anastrozole in the morning along with a lot of my other pills/supplements. I've had no issues with anastrozole after 18 months. Hope you don't either!

HUGS!

• PNY
    PNY Member Posts: 90

I have been on Anastrozole (mfg Acord) since mid January. For the past week or two I notice my voice is hoarse. I thought maybe it was this med but when iI asked the nurse practitioner at the oncology office she said that was not a side effect. (should have emailed the MO but i was on the phone with the NP for something else:)

Now I looked up on line and there are many posts of women on Anastrozole who experience either a voice change or hoarseness. (and on certain sites it says that is one of the side effects that should be immediately brought to the attention of the doctor)

anyone experience hoarseness.

Thanks

• Duzy

PontiacPeggy - Thank you for the information. I was told to take 630 Calcium Citrate twice a day and 3000 Vitamin D once they get my levels back up to normal. I can go to different pharmacies it would just cost more. Right now I can get this brand for 10.00 on a 90 day supply. But if need be I can go to Meijers or Walgreens so at least I have options. I had a bone scan a few months back and I had a couple areas that were the start of Osteopenia?? but they said for now I should be fine on the D and Calcium. Is it better for you to take Vit D - 3 pills of 1000 -3 times a day instead of just one a day at 3000?? Glad to hear you have not had any problems and I am hoping for the same.

There has to be a lot of people that take this and never talks about it so I am hoping for the best.

• pontiacpeggy

Duzy, you are absolutely right. Many women have few if any SEs on anastrozole. And since they don't, they usually don't post here. The women who do have SEs are looking for help since most would prefer to stay on AIs if they could. There's no denying that the SEs can be awful. Just don't expect them. I've no idea if one 3000 D3 is better than three 1000 D3s. I prefer to do it that way. I take Fosamax to protect my bones. I do have mild osteopenia, too. It can wreak havoc with GERD/acid reflux, which I have, so I'm very careful to follow the directions taking it. Some women prefer Prolia. I'd just as soon stay with the Fosamax.

Don't worry about the brand if you're not having trouble. I just paid $39/90 supply of Teva brand from Walgreens. I think I need to find another Medicare D plan next year. It had been $12 for 3 months. Still a bargain to keep BC away.

HUGS!

• Duzy

I would agree the cost either way is worth it. At worst I would pay 10.00 for a 30 day supply of a different brand but until I notice anything different I am staying on this brand. Thanks for the info

• lindab142
    lindab142 Member Posts: 76

2bwoods: I'm in a similar boat, surgery, 7cm cancer removed and radiation - didn't need chemo. I had bad side effects from radiation too: burning, swelling, lots of fatigue.

May I ask how you decided not to take A? MO told me that if I don't take any pills and cancer returns somewhere else, it'll be incurable. Scares me. Did you get any other info you're willing to share?

Thanks.

Linda

• Sloan15
    Sloan15 Member Posts: 845

Duzy - My doc said it's better typo take calcium 2 x a day to keep levels constantly in the blood. It's probably the same idea as Peggy's 3x a day. I just had a bone scan and was at -1.1. Osteipenia starts at -1 and osteoporosis starts at -2.5. Also, all people are compared to a healthy 25 year old's skeleton. So, I technically have oeteopenia, too, and the doc thinks I'll be fine with upping my calcium to 2x a day. Can I ask how old you are? I'm 51. I'm just trying to figure out this bone stuff.