Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 863

Just back from the dermatologist, thought I was having a skin reaction to the Arimidex...the doctor said skin cancer is a "well known" side effect of BC???

Had a full skin scan and she took a biopsy of one spot...she said I should have regular (min annually, depending on the biopsy maybe 6 months) skin scans given the BC diagnosis...has any one else been told this?

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

that's news to me. I always thought it was too much sun exposure over the years. I've had basal cell on my face, 2 squamous.

• moondust
    moondust Member Posts: 207

My doctors would not have ordered an estrogen test, but I insisted. The MO will not order it - he said to ask my general doctor or gyn, so that's what I did. It is also possible to order an estrogen test online - google "estrogen test online". The online company sends a test order to a local lab and then sends you your result. The basic estradiol test is about $60.

Peggy, I have no idea why my estrogen was still high when I was on the arimidex. I am in menopause and have no body fat! But I did notice that according to the reference ranges, my level was what would be expected in men. Maybe because I work out with weights and have muscles, it somehow raises my estrogen. I'm baffled too, and of course the doctors don't know. Maybe if I went to an endocrinologist I could find out more, but I certainly don't need one more doctor!!

• trmtab

Yes, too much sun is the primary sun cancer path...what she said was that BC diagnosed women have a increased risk (2-3x normal!) of skin cancer so a regular skin scan should be part of our routine exams. She briefly said something about "similar chemistry" before moving on to another part of our discussion...

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Moondust, you certainly do not have an ounce of body fat. All so strange. I also probably wouldn't want another doctor. However, it might be worthwhile since it is interfering with your AIs.

HUGS!

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974

TrmTab--When I was diagnosed with BC, my surgeon said I now needed to be on the lookout for "similar" cancers....i.e. ovarian, uterine, colon. In other words, these cancers are related. My dad had prostate cancer which my doctor feels made me more likely to get breast cancer. Skin cancer was also on the list to watch for. I was told I would need a colonoscopy every 5 years instead of the usual 10 years. I did a baseline TVUS to watch for endometrial cancer which is how I found the Tamoxifen-caused changes that eventually led to my total hysterectomy. And he said I needed to keep a close eye on my eyes with regular exams including some baseline testing so we could watch for changes, especially cataracts. I now see my BS, MO, PS, GYN, PCP, dermatologist and ophthalmologist on a yearly basis. And that doesn't even include my dentist!!

• trmtab

Lala - thank you so much for your reply...I haven't yet been told about increasing the colonoscopy to every 5 years, but have all the other folks already on my list now that I have added the dermatologist. All I can say is WOW, it just keeps on giving. I guess I will ask my Gyn about a TVUS on my next annual appt this summer.

• akaamy2003
    akaamy2003 Member Posts: 3

I think the jury may still be out on whether BC increases the odds of other cancers, outside of BRCA+ patients. I am currently scheduled to have my ovaries out next month, as part of my war on estrogen, and I've talked with a bunch of doctors about whether I should have a hysterectomy at the same time. I'm really surprised by how split the opinion is. I've talked with my internist, an ob/gyn, my oncologist, and three different gyn surgeons, two of them surgical oncologists. Internist says do NOT have a hysterectomy, as do two of the surgeons. Obgyn says do it, one of the surgeons wants to do it, and oncologist has no opinion. I spent an afternoon reading the medical literature and although there is evidence that *tamoxifen* increases risk for endometrial cancer, there is very little evidence that a BC diagnosis predisposes you to endometiral as long as you are not on tamoxifen. My oncologist agrees. I'm a minimalist when it comes to removing organs, and so I think I will leave my uterus and cervix alone. Interested to hear from others who have had to make a similar decision.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

jpBCfree.....Hi all. Again I agree that most MOs will not test our hormone levels while prescribing anti hormone therapy! They just don't know enough about female hormones. Looks like if we want them tested we have to see PCP, endocrinologist, gynecologist or naturopathic doc. We really need to speak up on this issue...

• Shelly52
    Shelly52 Member Posts: 133

akaamy - I went through the same thought process/research as you and decided to do the total hysterectomy. While I am not on tamoxifen currently, it is an eventually possibility over the years ahead. At that time I made the decision I did not know how the AI drugs would affect me and my MO said since I was having the ooph anyway, she would do the total. (I asked her what she would do if she were me) It would simply avoid future possibility of problems. I figured that I am not using my uterus or tubes anymore anyway so what difference does it make? I had a MO-gyn do the robotic surgery and it was very easy and a quick recovery. No regrets here. Good luck with your decision. It is definitely a personal choice

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

Shelly52,

I had my robotic hysterectomy 22 February. That night was the best night's sleep I had had since diagnosed 7 June.

I just felt assured I had stopped where I could the possible spreading of my cancer.

I am also too old to shop down the tampon aisle if my periods comeback!

Coach Vicky

• Shelly52

Not missing tampons a bit! One other benefit of the full hysterectomy to consider is that you no longer neeed to visit a gynecologist! After my surgery I asked the Dr if i needed to visit my gyno in the futue. The surgeon said, "What for?" Wheee! One less Dr. visit ... and let's admit it. Who ever liked their gyno visits?

• spookiesmom

So true Shelly😜 Had a hysterectomy about 35 yo, way before bc. It's been great all these years not having to deal with all of that.

• seq24
    seq24 Member Posts: 451

I started Arimidex last night. I keep hearing about all of the terrible side effects and I am definitely worried. At what point to side effects show up? Right away? After a few days, weeks? So far so good after just 1 day but I was more than nervous to take that first pill last night.

• erinm216
    erinm216 Member Posts: 12

It took me about two months before I really felt the effects of Arimidex.

Just remember that everyone is different. I couldn't handle the Arimidex but found that Aromasin was night and day better. Friends of mine can't handle the Aromasin but can take the Femara or Tamoxifin.

You can always try another kind of AI. Just stay proactive and for me, daily excersise made a huge difference in easing the joint stiffness.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Seq24, I've been on generic Arimidex for 2-1/2 years with no problems. Keep in mind that not everyone has SEs from it. Or the SEs are mild and easily controlled. As ErinM mention, if one AI causes trouble another might not. Please don't anticipate SEs. If they occur then see what can be done. But they may not happen. Hopefully they won't.

HUGS!

• seq24

Thanks Erin and Peggy! I'm hoping for no side effects but I sure have read some awful stuff. A friend of mine started her Arimidex last night as well. We are comparing notes. We both have the generic form. I made it through surgery (missed 2 days of work), chemo and radiation with no problems at all except for a few days of not feeling well or being tired. I'm hoping the success continues with this as well. It just gets really scary knowing that some awful things can happen on this drug.

• Sjacobs146
    Sjacobs146 Member Posts: 155

I have been on Anastrozole since December. No SEs for me except,that I am quite warm in the wee hours of he morning. Not everyone gets debilitating SEs. I also practice yoga, which helps with stiffness

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408

Shelly, I had my hysterectomy at 39 and haven't missed anything...

• seq24

And another question from this newbie. Is a persistent cough common after just one dose of arimidex? I took my first dose last night and woke this morning with an annoying cough. It's been driving me nuts all day. I know it is a side effect, but really, after just one pill? This needs to go away and soon. I'm sure it'll keep me awake tonight and I just took the second dose.

• Bullet
    Bullet Member Posts: 3

The side effects come on gradually. Try not to worry!!!! I'm towards the end of my 4th year and have had too many side effects to count- the good news is I'm still here!!!! They come and go with no warning. Try to exercise and eat healthy foods - you must be a warrior!!!!!

As you know, time flies - so try to relax and remember that any concerning symptoms should be addressed with your oncologist. You got this!!!

• seq24

Does this pill cause cough, fever chills and body aches after just 3 days? Woke with a horrible cough the first day and it continued yesterday with a general yucky feeling. Today I have a fever, chills and am very achy. Not sure if I'm coming down with something or if it is the anastrazole. Sure am feeling awful though.

• spookiesmom

Lots of yuck, flu, colds going around. Sounds like one found you.

• seq24

Thats what I'm thinking too. I actually just called my MO's nurse and asked her if there is any connection to what I'm experiencing and and the anastrazole. She said they are not related at all and especially since I just started on it. I have a child care business in my home. I had a sick kid on Friday and he's still out. Had another one who got sick all over my living room yesterday. SickTiredEWWWWWW!!! I'm sure I caught something from one of them.

• Goincrzy8
    Goincrzy8 Member Posts: 79

Sounds like the flu. I have been taking since Feb 10. I take mine at nite, and I notice that about half hour after I take it I am tired or I fall asleep. The first few weeks, had soreness in the one breast I have, felt like PMS pain. Other than that no issues at all.

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

Shelly52 and Others following the hysterectomy tread,

I was saying good bye to my OB/GYN after my post op robotic hysterectomy appointment. He said you will see us again. We will follow you for the rest of your life! I will have vaginal smears. They have scheduled my first one after I end Herceptin treatment and then I will go annually.

I guess MD's just have different protocols.

Coach Vicky

• Shelly52

Oh dear God - vaginal smears?! There is always something! Thanks for letting us know, Coach Vicky. My gyno is a top Ongologist-Gyno and she didn't mention it. I will ask about it at my next MO appointment. Meanwhile, I will go back to worrying about my hair. ;/

• spookiesmom

I had a hysterectomy about 35 years ago, non Ca reason. At the time I was told no more paps. Nothing left in there. Remaining ovary quit working about 20 years ago, and no doc has ever been there since. And WONT be either.

Sounds like a $$$ grab.

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

Vaginal smears are generally done on women who had cervical cancer or hpv. I had them for two years to make sure the hpv was gone. Cervical cancer can grow in the vagina. It's not bad because your cervix isn't in the way.

• mvspaulding
    mvspaulding Member Posts: 163

Well, I guess I will be moving to this topic from the Bottle O' Tamoxifen. I was tested by my MO and my FSH/Estradiol ranges are in Menopause. Which I feel really depressed about for some reason. So after taking Tamoxifen for about 13 months I am being switched to Arimidex (Anastrozole). I haven't picked it up from the pharmacy yet, and I am unsure whether I should finish my month of Tamoxifen or just switch to Arimidex immediately. I haven't had the best time on Tamoxifen so I am very unsure about taking Arimidex. Anyone having similar experience switching and can you tell me common side effects you are having?