Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• 4happygirl
    4happygirl Member Posts: 9

Glowgene: aromatase inhibitors def cause depression due to the estrogen depletion to your brain. This was told to me by MDs and it was my experience as well. My MO allows me to use Vagifem to combat vaginal atrophy twice a week while on anastrozole. I don't know how I would have gotten through 2 years of it without Vagifem which allowed me to have a couple of days a week when my brain was functioning normally. I found that taking Claritin every day helped my mood tremendously. It has an almost identical molecular structure to the newer third generation anti-depressants. Bonus: it helped my allergies. I take 5-HTP (tryptophan) every night to help mood, control appetite, and help me sleep. I also take a B-complex vitamin every day, which also helps mood, and drink 8oz of soy milk to get a small phyto estrogen brain boost (this was ok'd by my MO). If it weren't for the crippling joint pain, I would have been doing ok on anastrozole with all of these supplements, but that's another story.

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408

Jinx, Welcome!! and you most certainly will have friends and more important family here.. If you've been here before, you probably know there are those who are starting, going through or finishing, or finished what you are going through and are here for you whatever you may need... you have a family of very accepting people.. I had my bone density and found I had osteopenia and osteoporosis too, I'm taking Prolia now and Vit. D, with Calcium. I found some pill containers that have 6 compartments, I take my meds in the morning and evening, so put morning in one and evening in another... it covers 3 days and if I forget, it's easy to tell what I forgot.. hope that helps..

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038

Hi all,

I've been following your posts. I'm just starting rads tomorrow and wii begin taking Arimidex after they are completed. Probably mid/May. I do have osteoporosis in my left femoral neck so my MO wants me to begin Prolia after rads.'I'm really worried about the Arimidex SEs more than anything else! I really appreciate all the helpful information you've been posting.Gentle hugs,

• PugsMama
    PugsMama Member Posts: 337

hi butterfly1234: I'll start Arimidex after I'm done with chemo. My MO is giving me a little break bc I'm going on vacation at the end of May so I'll be starting in June. I'm really concerned about the SEs too! There are a few AIs out there so I guess if I can't tolerate Arimidex, there are others to try.

• Simplicity
    Simplicity Member Posts: 723

Morning ladies,

New to this thread. Wondering if anyone else has severe issues with the hands aching? Today is a bad hand day and omg do they hurt. My hands seem to be my biggest ache, and some days are worse than others. I've been an anastrazole about 1 year. I also have osteopenia from the chemo and rads..

Hope all have a decent day.

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

Today makes one week on Arimidex. So far so good!

Coach Vicky

• butterfly1234

That's great news Coach Vicky! I'm cheering you on as well as others.

Pugsmama - we'll support one another once we get started. Enjoy every minute of your vacation,

Simplicity - not sure if this will work but have your tried soaking your handsin very warm water with Epsom salts? Sending you love to help ease the pain.

• Simplicity

Thanks Butterfly. Another friend just recommended the same thing. Will try it tonight after work.

• butterfly1234

I've had so many aches and pains unrelated to cancer that come and go, The warm water and Epsom salts bath helps a lot too. Hope it works. Let us know. Hugs

• LM070917
    LM070917 Member Posts: 68

anyone noticed hair thinning? Been on arimidex for a year now and noticed around my peaks/hairline..seriously hoping it doesn't get any worse...

• butterfly1234

My hair is so thin now (genetics) it's another one of my concerns. I can't afford to lose any hair! I know this is a possible side effect and the one I dread the most.

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950

Regarding thinning hair, please find a dermatologist who deals with hair issues. It has made a world of difference for me. There are many treatments available.

• glowgene
    glowgene Member Posts: 23

4happygirl: Thank you for your response! I'll look into Claritin as an option, since I used to take it regularly when I was younger. I'm also going to see a counselor, which is helping with some of the depression-induced grumpiness and frustration. I've also been taking zzzquil on nights where I really need the sleep (presentation the next day, too many days without sleep etc.) and it's been working well!

The side effects are really stacking up, though. I have a neck injury that was difficult to manage before starting anaztrazole. Now, between the neck pain and the general body aches, it can take me out of commission on bad days. I've had to ask my PCP for low-dose percocet (I take half a 5mg tab at a time) to take when it gets bad or when I lift weights. It has helped tremendously. The pain doesn't disappear but it brings it down to a place that doesn't interfere with my day all that much.

I am also dreading the weight gain. I was having trouble losing, despite major dietary and lifestyle changes for more than a year, before the BC diagnosis and went to see an endocrinologist. I was diagnosed with PCOS and told to keep doing what I was doing, it just might take longer to work than it does for others. I'm trying to get to the gym as much as I can, but I'm completely drained at the end of the day.

Bah. Thanks for listening to my rant.

• Simplicity

Hair loss? or thinning? I don't recall seeing that but it would explain all the hair that's been falling out lately. Sheeesh. Does it ever stop?

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

My barber recommended this shampoo:

Redken Cerafill Retaliate Shampoo For Advanced Thinning Hair 33.8 oz

Sold by: Beauty In Style Product

$25.59

I got it on Amazon.com.

I can really tell a difference in my hair.

Coach Vicky

• butterfly1234

Thsnks for the tip on shampoo. I'm already taking biotin for awhile now as suggested by my dermatologist. Rogaine never worked for me. One more flipping thing to stress about!

A question? Has anyone started Arimidex or another aromataseinhibitor at the same time as Prolia?

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260

Hello, all. Started AI on Weds. 4/5/17 - taking 1/2 pill for 1st week. Age 62 currently. Prior to this, no joint pains, etc. - have taken very high quality Calcium supplements w/Vit D, Carlsson's finest fish oil & MSM Glucosamine Chondroitin for many years now. Having joint pain/stiffness in wrists and fingers (on the computer all day at office) and back pain, thus far. Worried about how it will feel when taking full dose. Using homeopathic remedies: Boiron Arnicare Gel and Boiron Arnica Montana 30c tablets. Already have osteopenia in hips and spine per Nov 2016 DEXA scan just prior to cancer diagnosis, but not on biophosphonates. Very worried about bone effects, potential hair loss, depression (have been fighting depression for over 25 years), hot flashes, etc.

Read on an earlier page where someone mentioned a study that AIs for 5 yrs not beneficial - I would jump for joy to have clear cut scientific evidence to present to my MO that AI not necessary. Any idea where the results of this study are? AIs seem to aggravate already existing issues for women who are post menopausal, so would welcome a valid reason not to take it. OK - that's the end of my rant. Think it must be the depression beginning to set in.

• PugsMama
    PugsMama Member Posts: 337

Hi CeliaC, unfortunately the study was referring to taking AIs for longer than 5 years...

http://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/ai-use-m...

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408

Butterfly, I had some se's with arimidex when I first started six months ago, hot flashes, some joint pain, it settled down though, but had the bone density and have osteoporosis so started Prolia in december... no side effects, due next one in June.. A lot have mentioned hand pain, and i've found it in my hands too... now have braces, but can't do anything with them on, so just grin and bear it..

• danesmom
    danesmom Member Posts: 2

Hello everyone: I have taken Arimidex since Nov 2012. I have suffered severe brain fog mostly short term memory loss, but also confusion, comprehension problems and trouble concentrating.

Has anyone else noticed these side effects? If so please visit my Arimidex Facebook page by searching arimidex brain fog - you will see the brain pic...thats it.

I want to see how many people actually have these side effects to start a class action lawsuit against the pharmaceutical companies who make the generic Anastrazole.

Thanks

• danesmom
    danesmom Member Posts: 2

TO: CeliaC

Hi I wanted to share my experience with you. I too had osteopenia in both femurs ( thigh bones) and most recently my spine. I have been give the medication Zometa intravenously every 6 months and have had 5 doses and it helps the osteopenia.

As far as Arimidex I can speak for. I started Arimidex in Nov 2012. My cancer was stage 3C and I am at extremely high risk for recurrence. I took a break from Arimidex every now and then for about a month. In mid Dec I took a break again and its only by the grace of God that they found what they did. I complained of pain in the back of my head and my onco ordered a bone scan....nothing showed on my head but there was something abnormal on my rib. Went for a chest CT scan which shows I have 4 spots, 3 spots on 3 separate ribs, and one on my upper right lung. The spots are too small to biopsy. I immediately started the Arimidex again. My onco also told me that the spots grew while I was off the Arimidex. I have another chest CT scheduled for April 21. If the spots have grown then the Arimidex has stopped working, if they have not then the Arimidex is working. My onco also told me that there was an Arimidex study done to see if 10 years taking Arimidex was better than taking it for 5 years. The result showed that women who took the drug for 10 years did not do any better than those who took it for 5 years. My 5 years is up in Nov 2017, so depending the results of my upcoming chest CT scan will decide if I keeping taking Arimidex or switch to Tamoxifen which I took for 4 years from 2008-2012.

Hope this info helps. Also please check out my Arimidex Facebook page: search Facebook "armidex brain fog" and please like it. Trying to see how many people have the brain fog associated with Armidex.

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269

Simplicity after 3 months on generic brand Anastrozole my hands were so painful I couldn't hold a pen. Could hardly hobble around either. My Onc suggested a 2 week break and I restarted on name brand Arimidex. The improvement was astounding. Have been on the name brand for almost 12 months now and while I do experience some aches and pains it's nothing like it was. Sometimes a change of brand can help as different manufacturers use different fillers (non active ingredients).

• butterfly1234

Is anyone else on the name brand and not generic? Will insurance pay for name brand? Did your MO write a script for Armidex non generic?

• butterfly1234

One more question. How do you find out who the manufacturer is for anastrozole? I got my prescription filled at Costco and it doesn't list the name of the manufacturer anywhere on the printed information. I haven't started the generic but if I can find the name brand I rather start with that. I do have Optum RX and will check with them. Another night of insomnia,

• jpBCfree
    jpBCfree Member Posts: 72

For those wanting name brand Arimidex, the company has a $30 for month supply direct to consumer program for breast cancer patients. I posted the links in prior post on this thread. You can search my username to find the prior post. I will try to find and repost

• jpBCfree
    jpBCfree Member Posts: 72

I found the information from about ARIMIDEX (NAME BRAND) DIRECT

I registered via https://astrazenecadirect.com and received 90 day supply for $90. (They send you to a online pharmacy called Eagle). If you are uninsured or low income, they have an application for free delivery.

Also earlier someone posted that the maker of Prolia has a special pricing plan for BC patients... Amgen (make of Prolia) has a patient assistance program where the first shot is free and others are $25. I have not investigated beyond a google search but check out this link for more details and eligibility https://www.proliasupport.com

• LM070917
    LM070917 Member Posts: 68

Thanks Janet, I'm going to ask my doc to refer me to a dermatologist to see if they can do something about the hair thinning around my peaks. I also take 2.5mg of biotin (for 4 months now) but haven't seen any noticeable improvement. It's by far the worse side effect for me.

• jonib
    jonib Member Posts: 94

I am on name brand Arimidex and I get it from Arimidex Direct through Eagle pharmacy. My insurance covered name brand last year but not this year but the $30 a month at Eagle is actually less money then I paid through insurance last year.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

danesmom...so sorry you are suffering. The SE you mentioned are from the lack of estrogen. I don't think you can have a class action law suit if the SEs are listed. Not 100 percent on that though. Good luck to all.

• butterfly1234

Lottemarie-my dermatologist told me to take 5,000 mcg. I've been doing this a while and before my DX. I color my hair and its healthy. I trim it every 5 weeks. However my hair is fine and thin. I can't afford to lose any and this side efffect worries me the most because it's so darn visible. I'm looking into wiglets just in case. Someone on this thread or another recommended Redkin Retaliate CerafillShampoo. I haven't tried it yet,

My insurance won't pay for the name brand Arimidex. I'm not surprised. I'm serously contemplating paying out of pocket. Is anyone else noticing a difference between name brand and generic?

Link to Arimidex direct if you're interested in checking it out.

http://m.arimidex.com/arimidex-direct.html?_charse...