Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I request the Teva brand from Walgreen, generic. Ladies here have said the Accord generic bothers them more. Should be on the label who makes it.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Spookie, like you I have stated to Walgreen's that I will accept only the Teva brand. And it IS listed on the label who manufacturers it. The manufacturer is also listed on my other prescriptions. I chose Teva for the same reason you stated - fewer SEs from Teva than other generic manufacturers.

HUGS!

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038

LotteMarie - My dermatologist recommended that I take 5000 mcg of biotin and that was before my DX. I have thin and fine hair. I can't afford to lose any more.  I read on another thread that Redken Cerafill Retaliate Shampoo helped. So, putting that on my list. I saw that Ulta carries it. I also use Claudia Stevens - Color that Gray hair powder which helps fill in the thinning spots. I get that at Sally's Beauty Supply. I use to get Joan Rivers Great Hair Day from QVC but Claudia Stevens is cheaper. Hair loss is a huge issue for me. Some may say it's vain but I know it's more than that because it is so visible. I'm looking into wiglets as a possible option, just in case.

I did some investigation regarding Anastrozle and Arimidex. Costco and Optum Rx get their generic from Accord. My local Walgreens doesn't use Teva and they are contracted with Alvogen.

I'm going to talk with my MO about getting it directly from AstraZeneca - Eagle Pharmacy as noted in a previous post above. It's more expensive than what I can get for generic (which for me is 0$) but if it significantly can make a difference in side effects I'm all in. If anyone has experience with generic vs name brand I would love to hear from you before I jump in with both feet. Here's the direct link.

https://webmail.east.cox.net/do/redirect?url=http%253A%252F%252Fm.arimidex.com%252Farimidex-direct.html%253F_charset_%253DUTF-8

Off to my second rad. Blessings and gentle hugs to all.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260

I am on the TEVA Brand, from Walgreen's. Called around first to find out who used this Manufacturer.

• butterfly1234

I called another Walgreens near me and yup they do have Teva. Don't now why the other Walgreens gave me another manufacturer name.

• Catgirl2
    Catgirl2 Member Posts: 83

My MO gave me a script for Arimidex today. Should I take it in the morning or at night? I picked up the TEVA brand at Walgreens as you all suggested. (Funny, my late husband used to work for TEVA Neuroscience and all of our TEVA drugs were free then). : I'm hoping I tolerate it as well as I did Tamoxifen when I took it several years ago. I had no side effects at all on it. I know this is a totally different drug, but one can hope....right?

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950

I take mine at night because my MO said when he prescribed it that it might make me sleepy. I don't think it does make me sleepy, but I've continued to take it at bedtime. Many take it in the morning. Just take it whenever you can easily remember it.

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875

I take mine in the morning and have not had any issues.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260

I take mine about midday (12:30 pm). Have only been on 1/2 pill for a week, so maybe too early to judge the true nature of side effects.

• Simplicity
    Simplicity Member Posts: 723

I take mine at night. Dr mentioned possible se's, and that's why so many take it at night. Easier for me to remember to take it with my night cocktail (medicines).

Did any of y'all look at the page of that poster for foggy brain SE's? I think it was in this thread. Anyway, I have had issues focusing, concentrating. I chalked it up to, well, everything lol Maybe I should stop my arimidex for a while and see....

Hope all have a great day!

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 947

I had to stop the ALS for now. A vacation did not help. I was having anxiety attacks and other issues. I felt like me insides were shaking. Things were getting so bad for me mentally I no longer wanted to live. I felt like I was just existing. The joy had been sucked out of my life. I even thought about giving my dogs up for adoption. I love my dogs. Interestingly though I had no joint or bone pain. I was on for 15 months. Since stopping the anxiety attacks have stopped. I am also able to focus. I am keeping my dogs. What was taking me 2 hours to do at work last fall now is done in 15 minutes. People have told me that my old self is back. Another interest thing is my hearing has improved. I was thinking about hearing aids but I don't think I need them anymore. I also was just at the eye dr. a week after stopping. I had notice almost right away and improvement in my vision. I went from 20/40 back to the 20/20 I had before starting arimidex. I had already had cataract surgery so that side effect was not an issue for me.

I haven't decided what to do next. The MO wants me to try Tamoxifen. I am trying to sort out what stopping means in the risk of recurrence verse the damage that the side effects were doing to my life. I have to admit what the drug did to me mentally has me scared to try it again as well as the fear of recurrence created by my first MO has me torn.

• glowgene
    glowgene Member Posts: 23

Catgirl2: I take mine at night, mostly because I always remember my pills in the evening...not so much in the morning. I think, if I were able to consistently take them at the same time in the morning, I would switch to morning dosage. The hot flashes seem to be a little worse in the hours after I take Arimidex. During the day, I get hot and flushed and uncomfortable and fan myself; it's no fun, but it's manageable. At night the hot flashes wake me up and I am miserable. So, in my mind, daytime hot-flashes are significantly better than night-time hot flashes.

• Simplicity
    Simplicity Member Posts: 723

Thanks for sharing Brutersmom. I never considered the AI's to be the cause of anything beyond joint pain. But reading in here the past couple days, I wonder....

So glad you're feeling better! Its so hard to tell whats from what once were on the other side of thi

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408

I take mine in the morning.. I take omeprazole and it interacts, so take that at night,

• Catgirl2
    Catgirl2 Member Posts: 83

Thank you to everyone! I think I'll try to take it at night. I tend to forget pills in the morning. I'll just have to see if I get hot flashes. Hopefully, I won't have too many SE. Have a great weekend!

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

Brutersmom, did you try any other AI besides Arimidex? I had HORRID SE's on anastrozole. Anxiety, flu like symptoms and my legs felt like lead. I am on exemestane (Aromasin) and have next to no SE's just the occasional hot flash.

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 947

I did femera that was worse. Not only did I have anxiety, insomnia, I had back pain. I only lasted about 10 days. My dogs are lap dogs and I couldn't stand to have them touch me. Doc doesn't seem to want to prescribed Aromisin. I can ask. His opinion was to try tamoxifen. I have mixed feelings about that since I am 64. I am wondering what the cost will be when I turn 65 and have to go on Medicare. I have good coverage now but I cannot stay on my husbands insurance when I turn 65.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

Brutersmom....so sorry you are suffering. Hopefully Tamoxifen will be better. We have to speak up for better treatment options. Too many of us just cannot tolerate aromatase inhibitors. Good luck to all navigating this disease.

• butterfly1234

Brutermom- My oncology nurse explained that some women tolerate one AL over another and they don't know why. I'm going to be startingArimidex next month. After reading several posts I'm going to start with the name brand. I hope you find relief.

• operamom
    operamom Member Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm new to this community but I've been reading and learning a lot!! I've had a lumpectomy back in Dec, then a sentinal node biopsy in Jan, just finished 4 weeks or radiation and starting Anastrozole on Monday (very worried about side effects!!). Just wondering if there's a better time of day to take it?

• pontiacpeggy

Operamom, Welcome. I take my Anastrozole in the morning. Others take it at night. The important thing is to take it when you are most likely to remember to take it. While the side effects of AIs are well documented (and you can read about them here), not everyone has problems with them. Or if they do, they are mild. I am one. If you have troubling SEs, sometimes changing to a different AI can make a huge difference. My recommendation is to NOT anticipate SEs (you don't with most drugs) but if they come along you and your MO can deal with them. AIs are an important way to prevent BC from returning and all of us would like for them to work without problems. Sadly, as you can see here, that is not always the case. And, as an aside, most women who have no problems don't post here. They don't need solutions like the ladies here who do want AIs to work. This forum is vital for them. Good luck!

HUGS!

• operamom
    operamom Member Posts: 4

Thank you PontiacPeggy. I'm more of a nighttime pill person, morning's are too hectic!! Just afraid it would keep me awake.

• pontiacpeggy

OperaMom, Who knows if it will keep you awake. Some people think it does, others think it puts them to sleep. Experiment and see. We are all different :)

HUGS!

• PugsMama
    PugsMama Member Posts: 337

Pontiac Peggy: your posts are always reassuring, as someone who tolerates the AI well, it's great you take the time to share the positive, or at least the "non-negative" of your experience. I'll be starting one of them in June, most likely Arimidex. My MO said there are a few options, so if I don't tolerate one well, there are others I can try...Hugs!

• pontiacpeggy

Pugsmama, thank you. I try to show that at least some of us so well on AIs. It is so hard for the ladies here who do have awful SEs. I hope you sail through the rest of your chemo and using Arimidex. BTW, sometimes changing manufacturers or going to the brand name can make a huge difference. I use the one from Teva.

HUGS!

• butterfly1234

PontiacPenny - just want to thank you for the positive comments. I know everyone is different in how they react to certain medications. Trying to take itone day at a time!

Gentle hugs and healing thoughts to all.

• BellaV
    BellaV Member Posts: 4

Like PontiacPeggy I am doing quite well with the arimidex.  I put my pills out at night on the breakfast table so I can remember them before I go to work.  (Calcium and Vit D, too). 

After being on the arimidex 11 months I have lost about 8% of my bone density.  Discussion going on now with the insurance company to approve Prolia shots. 

Morning stiffness/ pain in the feet and hands gets much better after a few minutes.  I have started flexing and "kneading" my hands and feet before I even get out of bed, and that seems to help a lot.

Happy Easter everyone, and may it give you hope in the beauty of Spring.

~Julie

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

So far I am doing well on the generic Arimidex. My head itches but that maybe the oils I put on my hair to help it grow. I had trigger finger before so this is not a side effect to me. I have not noticed any additional bone pain. I am still getting me head around taking this for the duration!

Coach Vicky

• butterfly1234

Coach Vicky - glad you are managing SEs. When did you begin taking Arimidex? I start in about 3 weeks.

• natsera
    natsera Member Posts: 39

Hi all,
    I've been hanging out in the lumpectomy lounge, and now I'm here. I had my surgery on March 7, and the MO just started me on Arimidex which I took for the first time on Thursday. So tonight will make my 4th pill. And so far, no side effects, and I'm wondering whether they appear immediately, or take a while to manifest themselves.

That said, I hope I will be among the lucky ones who don't experience much. But I'm wondering if I can breathe a sigh of relief, or whether that's premature!