Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• thecargirl
    thecargirl Member Posts: 66

I take Fosteum Plus for osteopenia, it is more of a nutritional support, the studies show new bone growth after one year of use. My oncologist approved of its use with a history of breast cancer. I will be having a dexa scan in July, it will be interesting to see if there is any change in my osteopenia.

• Shelly52
    Shelly52 Member Posts: 133

Just had my 2nd dexa scan. I started with osteopenia and have a family history of osteoporosis. Happy to report that I have held steady. Per my Onc, Iget a Prolia shot every 6 months and have been taking a calcium chew and 3000mg of Vit D every day. I have had zero issues with Prolia. I think of it as a bone protector - helping to keep the bad cells out.

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

kae,

My glucose shot up the first couple of weeks on the brand name Arimidex and then settled down.

My cholesterol jumped 21 points from last year and my Primary Care is monitoring it.

I think we just have to stay on top of these numbers.

Coach Vicky

• kae_md99
    kae_md99 Member Posts: 394

thanks hap and coach, my cholesterol shot up almost 40’points after 2 weeks

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902

coachvicky— thanks for sharing. I have been on Anastrozole for less than a month. Had a blood test for something else and was surprised to see my glucose number higher than normal. Had no idea AIs could impact sugar. Hoping my body adjusts quickly and that number goes down

• tnd22
    tnd22 Member Posts: 39

To those worried about the bone density- I was osteopenic before I started on Anastrozole. I have performed DEXA on patients. Bone is formed and lost very slowly, so that's why recommended bone density are sometimes 2-3 years. You won't see much change in a shorter period of time, I guess unless it's a lot. Sorry about the lady who lost 17%. I hope mine doesn't go down that much.

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401

kae - mood swings, absolutely! I started taking magnesium, which has helped. I have also had foggy brain, unable to find the word I want to use. My pharmacist pulled out her drug book and showed me that these SEs are not listed. Do I care? I’m the one experiencing them! And my MO told me the carpal tunnel syndrome in my left wrist can’t be from the anastrozole as I’ve been on it since July and this started a couple of months ago. I know from all the wise ladies here that SEs show up whenever they have a mind to!

MJ

• bareclaws
    bareclaws Member Posts: 246

After almost four months of generic Accord anastrozole, I’m starting to experience severe hand pain and stiffness at night. Does anyone who has been through this found relief by switching to name brand Arimidex?

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950

bareclaws,

A couple of suggestions:

Try taking a Claritin or generic Loratadine daily. Just make sure there's no D (for decongestant) on the label.

Try switching to either TEVA brand Anastrozole or name brand Arimidex.

Janett

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

HapB...really good point. I completely agree!

• sweetp6217
    sweetp6217 Member Posts: 120

Hi all, I'm in a little holding pattern right now in therapies. I finished my main chemo 11/16, got a lumpectomy and 2 nodes taken out 1/4/18 (all negative) and am about to begin radiation treatments. After that, I'm supposed to get endocrine therapy. I'm 56 and not thin but my hip sockets have ached for years (elsewhere too). There were years when I didn't take any vitamins but I've been taking calcium with D for a couple of years now. Hysterectomy was January 2017 and the periods stopped 1.5 years before that.

Is it wrong for me to "demand" tests for osteopenia, t-scores, etc.? Personally, I thought it would be helpful to have a baseline now, rather than after some sort of painful injury. On occasion, I have experienced bad balance and dizziness. So far, the nurses and doctors are (maybe) satisfied that I'm taking calcium. Oops, almost forgot. I went for weeks without taking calcium towards the end of chemo. Couldn't stand taking pills etc. in general.

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297

sweetp - I get a bone density scan every 2 years since turning 50 (before BC diagnosis). I think it's standard of care, so there's no reason your doctor would not allow it, especially if you are starting an AI. It won't hurt to ask, and if your MO won't order it, ask your PCP or GYN. Best wishes

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 863

I insisted on a baseline DEXA before I started Arimidex. Very glad I did, as my 2 year Dexa just showed a 17% decrease in bone density!

I will give it one year before the next Dexa and if I lose another large % will need to re-evaluate continuing...

My first was ordered by my PCP, my second by the MO.

• coachvicky

sweetp6217 This is YOUR body. Demand what you want. If you are not getting what you want, consider changing doctors. Firing is always an option.

I bet the scan will give you peace.

Coach Vicky

• lafish
    lafish Member Posts: 32

Hi everone, I started arimidex 2 weeks ago, I have been on the other AI's as well as tamoxifen, my mo wants me on something for at least another 5 years, I'm having the same SE as I has on both exemestane and letrozole, I have a script for T3's to get me through the leg pain I have on AI's but I really would prefer not to take them. I think I have tried almost everything but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, leg pain has started up again now and I just want to try to stay on the arimidex and feel healthy.

LAF

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239

hey gals,

Just checking in.. ive been on real arimidex for 4 months

I do get achy and stiff, but it gets a bit easier as day goes on

However just the last few days Ive noticed , Im more forgetful and today I was so tired but also felt lethargic

This is a bit concerning as Ive had chemo, surgery and radiation. And thru all that felt tired

but never lethargic , almost like an unfeeling daze. Strange and Im all of a sudden forgetting words..

any thoughts??

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Could be flu, it's bad in my area. Be best to call pcp or go to walk in. They say the snowbirds are bringing it with them, and you are prime snowbird location.

• sweetp6217

Thank you gals,

I'm calling my primary Monday to try to get that set up. If she won't, then I'll try my OBGYN next.

• coachvicky

MammaOz

Have your iron and saturated iron levels checked.

Coach Vicky

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260

bareclaws - At most recent MO visit, he suggested VitD and also acupuncture (unfortunately, not covered by insurance) for hand pain. At the office, am frequently on the computer all day, writing and working on spreadsheets, etc. Even before AIs, my hands, particularly the thumb joint, would occasionally be bothersome. Have added VitD back into my supplements & seems to be working. I also take some other supplements for joint issues and use Boiron Arnica Montana tablets and cream (homeopathic - have used for many years) for joint pain. Have never tried the Claritin, but seems work for others. Hoping you find some relief.

sweetp - Do insist on that DEXA. I had my regular scan about a month before BC diagnosis. It is important to know your baseline numbers before going on AIs, so any bone effects can be monitored.

Gentle hugs to all. (FYI - on TEVA brand, take at night, SEs not too troublesome - just focusing on keeping the beast at bay)

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239

thanks coach,

I think my irons ok , on my last test end of Oct but ive had low red counts since chemo ...getting blood work at end of month

I do feel better today. I also had lymph therapy yesterday and wonder if that may have drained me..

thanks for respondin

• sweetp6217

Coach Vicky,TrmTAB & CeliaC: Thank you! I called my OB and spoke with one of her nurses about DEXA testing, MD is out until Thursday, UGG! That nurse thinks that since I'm with oncology now, I should contact them. So, I had to leave a message with my MO's nurse. If that falls flat, I'll be hitting up my RO MD for the orders. I wonder why nurses give us a hard time about something like this? Why do they consider it to be unnecessary unless you already got a fracture?

Shocked

• coachvicky

@sweetp6217: I had my Primary Care as the "hub" of all my treatments. I don't think my Oncologist necessarily liked having to keep my Primary Care informed but he did it.

I think an Oncologist only sees "cancer" and not the total patient. Had my Primary Care not been monitoring my thyroid levels, no adjustment would have been made when I started gaining weight and feeling excessively fatigued. My Oncologist said we could address my thyroid levels when I finished treatment. At that time, I had four months of Herceptin left to go!

I don't know why it is hard to get medical people (i.e. Nurses ...) understand the importance of testing especially baseline testing.

MamaOz ... glad you are feeling better.

Coach Vicky

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

not 100% sure, been 5 years, but seems my MO ordered baseline, then pcp took over. Has ordered it since.MO and I thought I’d be with him forever. Humana kicked his practice out of network, so found new MO. Doesn’t matter to me WHO orders it, as long as it’s done.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

I think my MO ordered my DexaScan. And it was prior to starting anastrozole. I had one at 2 years and probably will have one next fall at 4 years. My PCP wasn't involved in my BC care. I changed PCPs and my new one would have been glad to be involved and seemed quite knowledgeable. My Spokane PCP isn't involved either. My MO here in Spokane handles everything - I don't have a BS or RO here since not needed.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260

My GYN ordered the DEXA Scan - Very knowledgeable, and she was the one who gave me the biopsy results, advised on what treatment would likely involve & recommended the BS as the same one she would use, if she had BC. Unfortunately, she is now retired. PCP is part of same hospital "system" so has access to all records from the BC team.

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279

Hi ladies, I’m checking in, just started Anastrozle today. I’m concerned how much calcium should we take daily. I’ve been taking 600mg daily, now my MO gave me 600 mg more. I have osteoporosis on my left arm and osteopenia on my hip. Soon I will have my prolia shot, waiting for insurance approval.

• sweetp6217

I took a chance and left a message with the MO's nurse. I must have said the right things because now they put the order in for the DEXA scans. I'll find out tomorrow morning which parts they will focus on (when I make the appt.).

• dodgersgirl

Paulettek—. I don’t know how much calcium is the right amount. Sorry.

I take 1000 mg daily with magnesium, Vit D3, and Vit K2 for bones. My dexa scan said my bones were stronger than most 30 year olds. I sure hope to keep what I have

I have been Anastrozole for almost a month now. I take it at night. So far only 2 hot flashes at night. Also feeling like my hands are getting stiff, especially in thumbs and little fingers. Occasionally, I feel like my calf wants to cramp but so far it hasn’t.

Hope you find Anastrozole easy on the side effects.

• dodgersgirl

sweetp627–. Glad they scheduled a Dexa scan for you. Hoping for great results. Keep us posted