Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279

sweetp glad you scheduled for your Dexa, hope your bone is stronger than mine.

DodgersGirl, I’m a small fram and small bone person, so my bone might not be strong, I will ask my MO next time I meet with him. I am too early to tell the SE only on my second day. Will keep you posted,

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 947

I haven't been on much. I was just reading the thread about side effects. Some of our pharmacies have started posting signs that say "If you are experiencing side effects to a drug that is not on the list, please report it to the FDA. " Here is the web site. Med watch

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038

I've been on Arimidex for 9 mos. my mild hot flashes are gone for now. Taking it at night seems to help with aches and pains though I occasionally have restless leg syndrome which I had before starting this med. I had my second yearly Dexa scan. Osteoporosis in my femoral neck but normal hips and spine. Getting Prolia injections with no SEs thus far. Exercising regularly mixing it up with yoga, weights, and tread mill. Squats leaning against exercise ball helps the hips build bone. I take calcium citrate 1200 mg and extra Vitamin D3. Been dealing with insomnia. My DH is a snorer and I'm a light sleeper. Warm baths with mineraL salts help with those aches and pains. My cholesterol is a little high and I’m sure it’s the Arimidex. Just trying to eat healthy. Thanks to Ruth, started eating prunes! Hugs to all and sending strength, love, light, and peace

• thecargirl
    thecargirl Member Posts: 66

I have been on Arimidex since 1/16, I experienced some joint aches and pains after about 6 months which became increasingly noticeable. I exercise faithfully, and do all the right things, to keep any weight gain off. I take a statin due to the increase in my cholesterol. I take claritin at night, which definitely helped and tart cherry juice. In February I was seriously considering going off Arimidex because I increasingly becoming so achy, feeling like I was 90 years old. My MO said 40% of her patients cannot tolerate it and go off of it. I am a nurse and I feel it is important to stay on it after reading all the statistics of the benefit. I enjoy reading all the latest information and studies on breast cancer. I read that acupuncture definitely helps with the joint pains from Arimidex, a double blind study showed a 50% benefit. My RO mentioned the study and I thought I should give it try. After the first treatment I noticed a definite change in my shoulder, hip, hand and foot pain. I tried not to be too thrilled, thinking it might be a placebo affect, well after four weeks of treatment I can say it has helped tremendously. I feel more normal in all ways, I think the continuous aches and pains were bringing me down. The acupuncturist wants me to stretch out the weekly treatment and I may do that, but not yet! I also want to mention that I take Fosteum Plus for any bone loss from the Arimidex, Fosteum Plus is more of a nutritional support which my MO recommended. I will know how much it helped the osteopenia when I do my Dexa Scan in July, that will be one year of taking it daily.

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239

thanks coach vicky, still very achy! Sometimes I feel like Im 90!!

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 707

thecargirl, thank you for posting this information. Very helpful and timely for me.

• MamaOz

hey have any of you gotten any scans after trestment?

My last per scan was in May after chemo but before surgery and radiation it showed the tumor and nodes

Which of course were removed ar surgery a few weeks after

.. i see my mo next week

But last time she said they dont do them and im fine

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

MamaOz

You will need a bone density scan and I would think a year scan.

That is what my plan is.

Coach Vicky

• Shelly52
    Shelly52 Member Posts: 133

Coach Vicky, how has Arimadex been for you? Are you experiencing weight gain and hair loss, specifically? I’m considering an AI change.

Thanks for all the knowledge you share.

Shell

• coachvicky

Shelly52,

I am doing well. Thank you for asking.

It was horrid hell and brutal on the first 2 generics. Once I got the brand name, the weight gain, crying, itching, and sweating hot flashes all got better. I still have some night sweating but nothing really during the day. I am happy, working some, and getting back to a normal routine of life which has been my goal since my last Herceptin infusion in August 2017.

My glucose went high for awhile after the brand name but it has settled down. My cholesterol is up but not enough for an Rx.

I continue to walk and that helps with my weight and soreness.

I had trigger finger before diagnosis so I don't think the Arimidex caused any more. I think going mostly gluten free has helped with inflammation and join pain.

Sometimes I struggle with words and I am not sure why.

I think that my hair is thinning but no one else seems to think so.

I handled the Prolia injection well. I have a bone density scan in August.

The Nurse Practitioner at my Dermatologist's office said in her experience hair never returns to what it was before chemo. As much as that hurt to hear, I am grateful to her. It gave me one more step to make in getting over the illusion I have that "one day I will look the same and be the same again."

This is not an overnight journey, is it?

I think so much changes for a woman so quickly going thru breast cancer that it takes time for the mind and affective domain to catch up with the physical.

I have four years, one month, and 9 days to go on Arimidex. If I am told that I have a 100% chance of no recurrence with another 5 years of Arimidex I will say "blank off." you can fill in the blank, LOL!

Thanks again for reaching out.

Vicky

• cbk
    cbk Member Posts: 323

To those that had prophylactic ovary removal, were you given a little break after surgery to start Arimidex?

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed here starting Arimidex 2 weeks post-surgery!!

• MamaOz

Coach,

I had my bone density scan in july i am bordering on osteoporosis so im glad you mentioned the prolia shot

That or maybe actonal , but boniva only helps with hip and thats not even a given and the side effects are scary

You are so right about this journey being an on going thing...

I also stumble over words , ill be talking about something and just cant remember the right word sometimes , very frustrating,

The lack of estrogen really takes a toll on us, I am post menopausal and it was bad enough now with arimidex wiping out whats left , I feel like Im rapidly aging!!

Well I guess its better than the alternative!!

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401

I, too, struggle with words sometimes. I’ll know there’s a certain word I want to use but I just can’t think of it. And a couple of times, when I’ve been typing, I know the word I want to type but can’t think of the letters. For a former journalist, this is beyond frustrating!

MJ

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

I also struggle to find words. I'm pretty sure it started with anastrozole but am not 100% sure. One friend who was doing tons of math - very high level - found she couldn't do numbers at all on Arimidex and switched to Femara I think. I know she found her numbers again. It is frustrating. I will mention it to my MO - I haven't before.

HUGS!

• coachvicky

CBK

I had a robotic hysterectomy 22 Feb 2017. I started Arimidex in April 2017.

My MO Team had me wait I think becasue in March I had out of state work. I din't know if it was because of the surgery or not.

I hope this helps.

Coach Vicky

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902

CBK — I was placed on an AI in January after a Zoladex shot to shut down ovaries. Then in Feb had a robotic assisted hysterectomy with removal of ovaries taking AI right thru surgery and recovery

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900

For those who have taken Arimidex (generic or brand) and stopped do to SEs or still are still taking Arimidex, did the SEs go away/clear up? I started a generic last year, and stopped after about 3-4 months. Lots of joint stiffness in hands and trigger finger. Symptoms came on almost immediately with the anastrozole. Have not taken any hormonal for about 6 months. Hands still quite stiff in AM, loosen up during day, still some trigger finger (painful). I did order the brand name, but never took it, waiting for symptoms to clear. My oncologist thinks some of this might be age (just turned 60), because symptoms should have cleared up by now if from arimidex . We discussed this. I asked about Tamoxifen, and she said it would be a good alternative if I won't take the arimidex. I exercise regularly, including some finger exercises a Physical Therapist suggested. Also trying acupuncture, including scalp acupuncture, but do not seem to get the relief I'm hoping for. The acupuncture includes Yamamoto New Scalp Acupuncture (YNSA). The practitioner studied it in school, but I am the first patient she has tried it on. Also includes the more traditional acupuncture. At this time only 1-2 treatments /month.

https://academic.oup.com/annonc/article/26/suppl_6...

https://www.swerf.nl/uploads/18-03-2017YNSAengl.handoutcomplete.pdf

2009 ER+ left breast. Lumpectomy, Radiation 6 weeks, tamoxifen 5 years. Dense lumpy left breast, normal right.

2016 ER+ left breast. Probably a new cancer, but unknown. 4 rounds TC Aug-Oct 2016, Bi-lateral (my choice) Nov 2016, no reconstruction. Anastrozole 1 mg starting May 2017. Joint issues noticed immediately. Stopped Anastrozole after 3-4 months do to joint stiffness in hands.

• Shelly52
    Shelly52 Member Posts: 133

Bluegirlred - have you tried any supplements? I take Glucosamine Chondroitan per MO along with 4000 Vit D, calcium chew. Vit C, and Magnesium. Also fish oil and Biotin. Bone aches were tough st first but eased over time. Based on my reading. It appears Femara or Aromasin are more tolerable. It’s different for everyone but that’s my take after lots of reading. I’m on Aromasin now but gaining weight. Will be going back to Femara after a break to get my weight back to normal. Good luck to you. I did Acupuncture after chemo to treat neuropathy. Had needles in all my fingers and toes. Oh boy! It was something to get used to but did help me

• orangedaisy
    orangedaisy Member Posts: 129

I’ve been on Anastrozole for 12 days, and haven’t had any intolerable side effects. The first couple of days my arms and legs ached. My thigh muscles are sometimesstiff when I stand up, but it works out once I move around. I had stiff hands during chemo, and I think they’ve gotten worse. I drop stuff all the time. I’m having mild hot flashes around 4 am, but I had them much worse during peri menopause. My hair isn’t growing as much as I thought it would 6 weeks past chemo. I still look bald. If that continues, I’m going to be upset. 6% of people who take taxotere chemo have permanent hair loss, so probably can’t blame the AI.

• B123
    B123 Member Posts: 239

can taking Prolia shots while taking Arimidex still work to strengthen bones? Tried evista and it gave me severe heart palpitations!

• leesad
    leesad Member Posts: 100

B123- Yes that is what Prolia would do. I've been on anastrozole since Sept and I just got my first Prolia shot in Jan due to already existing osteopenia so my MO and endocrinologist didn't want to wait and see if it gets worse. No side effects as of yet from Prolia.

• B123

LeesaD that’s wonderful news! So glad to hear this. Would much rather go back to Arimidex and take that option. Trying Evista has really done a number on me. Did your insurance approve it right away?Thank you

• leesad
    leesad Member Posts: 100
    B123- yes insurance approved without an issue.
  • B123

awesome! Thanks so much! Best wishes and good health my friend!

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038

b123,

I’m also taking Prolia injections along with Arimidex with no side effects. I’ve read that it not only helps with osteoporosis, it may be a deterrent to bone metasis. Be sure to let your dentist know that you’re taking these injections. Extensive dental work needs to be evaluated while taking these injections.

Gentle hugs all!

• B123

butterfly, thank you for letting me know. I don’t understand really how Arimidex causes bone loss and Prolia strengthens or rebuilds so with both fighting each other.. how do we know it’s working? So with say a root canal or crown, I would need to take something first?

• B123

also who gives you the Prolia shots, rheumatologist, Endo, or your MO

• B123

also who gives you the Prolia shots, rheumatologist, Endo OT MO?

• MamaOz

thanks butterfly for the info

B123 the arimidex depletes our estrogen

Our bodies need estrogen to help maintain healthy bones heart , skin and a lot of other stuff

But since estrogen also fueled our tumors the idea is to ward off tumor growth

Prolia is the latest in osteoporosis help not sure how it helps maintain the bones osteoclast or some such just researching now before my MO visit

And yes good point should i see a rhemitologist

• B123

MamaOz that makes sense, thank you! Yes we sure do need to do the research before the visits. I almost feel like I have to steer the boat and it’s very confusing..