Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• MexicoHeather
    MexicoHeather Member Posts: 147

Hi. I just resumed taking anastrozole after a little break to see if some of my SEs are from the AI. Yep, it's a factor. My new plan, with the Oncologist's blessing, is to try taking it every-other-day. 

I have sleep interruptions. Does anyone ever take this is the AM vs PM? I have tried cyclobenzaprine 10 mg at bedtime, but it is not keeping me asleep.

I don't want to take Cymbalta.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

MexicoHeather, I always take my anastrozole in the morning. I am still quite able to nod off after breakfast so I don't think, for me, it interferes with sleep.

HUGS!

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239

I take my arimidex first thing in morning. Which works for me

Im stiff when I first get up but as I get moving Im ok

Sleepwise I occasionally take 2 advils. Or a sip of kids benedryl. Knocks me out. Lol

• snickersmom
    snickersmom Member Posts: 599

I take Arimidex in the morning. I do take 6 mg of Melatonin for sleep and it has worked well for me almost all the time. Even if I wake up (usually once a night to go to the bathroom( I can almost always go back to sleep fairly quickly.

• mowojo
    mowojo Member Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and glad to find you all. Has anyone who has gone off Arimidex because of the joint pain and stiffness still had the symptoms continue? I'm 10 weeks off and still as bad as ever with trigger fingers and having a tough time getting up from a chair because of stiffness. Is this the new normal? I'm afraid to try another aromatase inhibitor. Thanks for any help.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,502

mowojo, welcome to Breastcancer.org! We're sure you'll find this a helpful place!

If you'd like your diagnostic and treatment information to show in your post signature so you don't have to repeat it each time, you need to fill out your profile with all the diagnostic and treatment information that you know. Read here for more information on: Where do I enter my diagnostic and treatment information?

Once you've filled it out, you can go to Settings in the left blue menu. Scroll down to the Treatments & Diagnoses Privacy Settings, where you'll see your information as you've entered it. Click "Change to Public" to make the information public in your post signature (it defaults to private). You can switch it back to private at any time.

We hope this helps! Let us know if you have any question.

Best wishes,

From the Mods

• sfar
    sfar Member Posts: 22

I have been taking Anastrozole for almost 2 years. I have occasional joint pain, but nothing intolerable. However, lately I have been waking up feeling depressed. It usually goes away once I get busy, but I really hate not feeling happy in the morning as I have a lot to be happy about. I also have been having more hot flashes at night. I have never really had them even through menopause. I currently take the Anastrozole at 9 am. I'm wondering if I should change it to later in the day. Any thoughts?

• vermonster
    vermonster Member Posts: 20

I am on day five of the second attempt with anastrazole and so far, fingers crossed, it's ok. No vertigo this time. I don't know if the vertigo with the first try was related or not, but whatever caused it, I'm so glad it didn't happen again. It's been beastly hot so I'm not going to blame the meds for any temperature issues (actually slept well last night despite the heat!). I will be visiting a new MO later this month - after some concerns with the first MO at my first visit and not feeling the love in his response to my vertigo problem, I decided I'd switch to an MO with a focus on breast cancer, I'm sure I will be happy with that decision.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

sfar, I think that's a good idea. I plan to try different things if I get side effects. Then if nothing works switch AIs. I would say give it some time to let your body adjust if you change the time. I'm having several intense hot flashes at night, good during the day. Started 800 vitamin E a few days and will give it some time. I work goofy hours..up at 330am anyway so I don't think I will change my time just yet. I take it about 6pm along with a plain claritin to ward off joint pain.

Vermonster, good for you being your own advocate. Love it. Best wishes on this round of arimidex!

• bennybear
    bennybear Member Posts: 245

just wondering about the vitamin e and Claritin? I am taking glucosamine chrondroitin and that seems to be helping. Good to share these tips. I am taking mine around 7 pm after dinner and it seems to be a good time for me.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

hey bennybear, I know others take the glucosamine too and I planned to try it if I needed. I was on daily claritin to help with bone pain from neulasta shots after chemo. I did great and MO supported me continuing it with the arimidex. So far so good. There are a few studies about there about Vit E helping with hot flashes. My pharmacist actually helped me on that. Giving it a try and will reevaluate in a month. Some take effexor for hot flashes but of course side effects with that too. I agree. It's good to share tips and try everything then switch to another AI if all else fails. That's my plan anyway! If it's working for you keep doing what you are doing. Hope you are feeling well!

• GlasgowGirl99
    GlasgowGirl99 Member Posts: 44

sfar - I’ve been on Anastrozole for just over one year and have noticed a change in my mood in the mornings too. Can’t say for sure I can blame it all on the medication - I’ve been feeling down about the whole breast cancer thing for a while but usually can talk myself around. I can definitely notice a big difference between my mood early in the day and then later in the afternoon. Am sure my work colleagues have also noticed I can be a real grump when I arrive at work but are too polite to say anything!! Could there be a link between Anastrozole and being moody in the am

• bennybear
    bennybear Member Posts: 245

I think there are definite links between mood and Arimidex, my oncologist pointed it out as a possibility. Hopefully, it doesn’t interfere too much.

• Taco1946
    Taco1946 Member Posts: 630

If you are having too many SE with arimidex, I suggest you talk to MO about something else. I am much happier on letrozole (although my hair is definitely thinning again). I don't remember feeling depressed but I sure was "bitchy." I take mine first thing in the morning but that seems to be trial and error for each of us too. MO did say try to be consistent with a time.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Mowojo--don't be afraid to try a different one. Try your options, then make a decision you can live with. the fillers can be different among brands. Some work better than others and some do better on Femara or Exemestane or good old tamoxifen. Our bodies are all different. . I was worried about Arimidex, then did three days on Femara and came running back to Arimidex. I managed to get three years of daily Arimidex, then started getting really crippled. My Oncologist had me do day on day off for a while, then I was worried about protection, so we did every day but Monday and Friday and then I got bad again. He said I wasn't metabolizing the drug as fast as I should and it was making me toxic. I have been off of it since Feb. 2018. I had eye surgery in April and my oncologist was worried about retinal bleeding so he has left me off. I got a new cornea in the right eye and in Oct. they will do the left eye. He told me it is entirely up to me if I continue or not. My risk reduction is about 1-2 percent and as he says, this is not a guarantee and there is quality of life to consider. When I told him I had brought my dad's walker up from the basement to keep by the bed at night, he said STOP...…. and I did. I feel so much better and am happier and healthier feeling. He told me to never let the pain get to that point without letting him know.

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900

Mowojo - you might want to look in to taking the brand name for Arimidex. One person on this forum says this made all the difference in the world and that if she got it directly from the manufacturer rather than insurance, it only cost $1/day. My insurance would have charged $7/day. It seems that even if generics are supposed to be the same, they are not. Everything from different fillers to being allowed a range of plus/minus the listed dose. Like everything else, these differences may affect some people more than others. I looked into this, and even bought a 1 month supply, but eventually did not take it because it seemed as if the joint stiffness/pain in fingers was subsiding and I just did not want to risk it getting worse. The SEs were almost immediate when I started Arimidex. It took several months to subside after I quit taking it. After a couple of months on it, I quit. Several months later I asked for an Rx for tamoxifen. Once in a while I notice a slight cramp in the left calf that can happen at almost anytime and does not seemed to related to activity/inactivity etc. My Oncologist says it probably is the tamoxifen, and to stay well hydrated, stretch, and continue the magnesium if I think it is helping. I also take curcumin supplements as well as using turmeric in food fairly frequently.

2009 ER+ left breast. 52 yrs. Lumpectomy, Radiation 6 weeks, tamoxifen 5 years. Dense lumpy left breast, normal right. Acupuncture offered at facility as part of integrative medicine. It really helped with anxiety/stress during radiation treatment.

2016 ER+ left breast. Probably a new cancer, but unknown. 4 rounds TC Aug-Oct 2016, Bi-lateral (my choice) Nov 2016, no reconstruction. Anastrozole 1 mg starting May 2017. Joint issues noticed immediately. Stopped Anastrozole after 3-4 months do to joint stiffness in hands. Started tamoxifen March 2018.

• snickersmom
    snickersmom Member Posts: 599

I take Arimidex (brand name) in the morning. I usually am a bit stiff but that could be because I've had herniated discs. Usually after I'm up and moving around for a while, it goes away. I do have more mood swings than I used to but I am on Zoloft, so that really helps to keep me on an even keel.

I have Claritin but do I take it in the morning or at night?

• jkrehbiel
    jkrehbiel Member Posts: 2

I feel for you, I am starting on it today. I fell shortly after my mastectomy and broke my kneecap. So I am in the same boat. I have been in an immobilizer for 5 weeks. Between the expander in my breast and my knee, it's getting to me. I know things could be worse but I am fearing the joint pain side effects. Prayers to you on your knee.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

jkrehbiel....OMG I fell and broke my knee too! Between the BMX and my knee I feel like the tin man! I'm 5 months out from the injury but my knee is still not back to normal. Good luck in your recovery.

• Occovegirl
    Occovegirl Member Posts: 14

Hi taco1946

I am so glad you suggested trying another med other than Arimidex.

I just started taking Arimidex only 2 months ago. I was on Tamoxifen for 3 years than needed a hysterectomy so now on Arimidex. I can't stand the side effects. The joint pain and stiffness is unbearable. I hated Tamoxifen but I tolerated it. This med I don't think I can do for 5 years. I an just glad to hear there are other meds to try. The mood swings are awful to. Did you have many side effects also?

• magari
    magari Member Posts: 335

I am taking Naproxen and Claritin to help with the joint pain, and time released low-dose Effexor 37.5mg to help with the hot flashes. Since the latter is an antidepressant in higher dosage, it may help with mood as well. I also do PT exercises and walk daily.

Although I'd prefer to have fewer side effects and be taking fewer meds, this is working for me.

• Taco1946
    Taco1946 Member Posts: 630

Occovgirl - With letrozole, the SE for me is mainly thinning hair. Still have hot flashes but joint pain is really better! I have upped my exercise and am maintaining my weight but not losing much, although if I am honest, I haven't worked very hard to do so. Had a major cookie binge this weekend.

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

has anyone experienced appitite loss or increase using Anastrazole?

• Rwns
    Rwns Member Posts: 103

Maybe a slight decrease in appetite, but not much.

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950

I haven't noticed any change in appetite with Anastrazole.I have been on it for over four years.

• cbk
    cbk Member Posts: 323

djt

I find my appetite “erratic”. Mostly that I’m ravenous and then when I sit to eat I’m really not so hungry at all.

I think that may be a good think because I’ve had a tendency to pack on the lbs since ooph and Anastrozole.

Tappersmom- is dizziness getting any better? This is really a problem for me!! I can’t undrstand what varies the intensity from or day to the next!! Any words of wisdom??

• chronicpain
    chronicpain Member Posts: 217

I started brand name anistrazole 1mg a day from Eagle mailorder pharmacy in January. I am convinced it lowers my appetite a bit. Losing weight, which became a priority, has been easier than before ( easier, but not easy). I am now down to normal BMI of 23. I lost 35 lb in 10 months and am holding, might go for another 5 as I still have some fat, which can make estrogen.

Hot flashes and mental clouding ( especially difficulty with multi-tasking) are my main side effects. Venlafaxine 12.5 mg twice a day, a low dose, has reduced the very frequent flashes about 50%. I’ll take it. My brain unfortunately remains fuzzier than before anistrazole. I am less interested in elective reading and topics that require intense concentration and have to write more things down which I used to just remember.

I do drink alcohol ( one thing I did not want to give up) , like one smallglass of wine most nights, or two at a party, and have not noticed increased side effects with it on this regimen.

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900

LoHoff and MamaOZ - I take biotin (1 mg) which might be helping with the hair, I do not know, but my hair is fairly thick, but starting to lose that "chemo curl". Right after surgery I used 2 packets daily of Juven Therapeutic Nutrition for Wound Healing( 7mg arginine and 7 mg glutamine) for several months, definitely noticed faster growing and stronger nails. Ensure makes lots of products, some look like junk, but I think this one is ok. I did cold capping during chemo. Was disappointed with how much I lost, but both the surgeon and oncologist were impressed with how much I still had ( I was their first patient to try this). I think one problems was my large head, and the caps not fitting as well as they should have. Ask your DRs if there is any reason why you should not take these, besides expensive pee.

2009 ER+ left breast. 52 yrs. Lumpectomy, Radiation 6 weeks, tamoxifen 5 years. Dense lumpy left breast, normal right. Acupuncture offered at facility as part of integrative medicine. It really helped with anxiety/stress during radiation treatment.

2016 ER+ left breast. Probably a new cancer, but unknown. 4 rounds TC Aug-Oct 2016, Bi-lateral (my choice) Nov 2016, no reconstruction. Anastrozole 1 mg starting May 2017. Joint issues noticed immediately. Stopped Anastrozole after 3-4 months do to joint stiffness in hands. Started tamoxifen March 2018.

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401

Thanks for asking, CBK. I would say the dizziness is a little better in that I don’t experience it every day. But when it comes - several times a week - I have to hang onto something. I see my MO next month and will ask him about it. Also curious about the DexaScan I had in April - I didn’t get those results and wonder if my osteopenia is the same or worse.

M

• cbk
    cbk Member Posts: 323

Tappersmom-

I too struggle with Dizziness. It’s awful when it hits.

I’m going to try the brand name Arimidex and see if it helps. I just saw my MO Friday for 9 months PFC check-up. We decided to give it three more months before contemplating a switcheroo since some of my side effects have improved.

I have Ativan on hand if I get a bad dizzy spell. It totally helps but who wants to be on that stuff, right?